Author Topic: wrist curls  (Read 5411 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
wrist curls
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:57:05 AM »
already thinking and planning ahead about my Friday workout.. how many of you let the bar roll down your fingers on wrist curls? opening the hands.. is there a benefit or not? i have tried it and i do feel a very intensive burn. I think Gironda wrote that there was no benefit to this but i am not sure...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: wrist curls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
I DO ON CABLE MACHINE REVERSE BEHIND BACK ROLL DOWN SOME ON TIPS FINGERS OTHER TIMES WRIST NORMAL ...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »
I DO ON CABLE MACHINE REVERSE BEHIND BACK ROLL DOWN SOME ON TIPS FINGERS OTHER TIMES WRIST NORMAL ...
yes behind the back is intresting and harder because you fight against the weight and gravity.. i want to really specialize on my lower arms and this is why i will at the moment train arms on their own. My upper arms are not bad but my lower arms are by no means as good as yours.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
yes behind the back is intresting and harder because you fight against the weight and gravity.. i want to really specialize on my lower arms and this is why i will at the moment train arms on their own. My upper arms are not bad but my lower arms are by no means as good as yours.
I USE THE BAR TOO,,,I LOVE THOSE WRIST CURLS,,ON THE KNEE I FIND IT HUTS AT TIME,,I HAVE SMALLER WRISTS ..I LOVE THE ROPE AND BAR HANGING PLATE AND ROLL UP AND DOWN 60/70'S GUYS ALWAYS PICTURED DOING THEM ,,I DO THEM EVERY WK...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »
I USE THE BAR TOO,,,I LOVE THOSE WRIST CURLS,,ON THE KNEE I FIND IT HUTS AT TIME,,I HAVE SMALLER WRISTS ..I LOVE THE ROPE AND BAR HANGING PLATE AND ROLL UP AND DOWN 60/70'S GUYS ALWAYS PICTURED DOING THEM ,,I DO THEM EVERY WK...
yes i keep meaning to make a bar with rope to do wrist rollers...well with your lower arms the results speak for themselves !

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
yes i keep meaning to make a bar with rope to do wrist rollers...well with your lower arms the results speak for themselves !
TELL YOU THE PUMP AND VASCULARITY IS GREAT HURTS IN A GOOD WAY  ;D,,,I SEE THOSE OLD TIMERS WITH A 25LB PLATE ,I COULD USE A 10AND A 5 AND THAT HURTS I GO UP ,DOWN AND BACK UP REST PARTNER GOES THEN BACK 3X AND THEN THE REVERSE CURLS X3..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
TELL YOU THE PUMP AND VASCULARITY IS GREAT HURTS IN A GOOD WAY  ;D,,,I SEE THOSE OLD TIMERS WITH A 25LB PLATE ,I COULD USE A 10AND A 5 AND THAT HURTS I GO UP ,DOWN AND BACK UP REST PARTNER GOES THEN BACK 3X AND THEN THE REVERSE CURLS X3..
i have to do it... so now i am going to a school running track and will do some sprints...i love the pain.. ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
i have to do it... so now i am going to a school running track and will do some sprints...i love the pain.. ;D
well rounded you are,,,

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
already thinking and planning ahead about my Friday workout.. how many of you let the bar roll down your fingers on wrist curls? opening the hands.. is there a benefit or not? i have tried it and i do feel a very intensive burn. I think Gironda wrote that there was no benefit to this but i am not sure...

I think there might be some benefit to the finger extension, simply because you need to close your fingers in a bit to begin the next rep, which activates some flexor tendon fibers such as when using a gripper. I think a gripper would be more effective for that, but like you said, there's a good stretch/burn felt with the finger roll, too. I equate it to the feeling I get in my back when doing chins and letting my body hang at the bottom of each rep, stretching the shit out of my lats.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
The finger extension is a great excercise in its own right, done standing for med to hig reps pumps the forearms up to the limit and is good for the grip.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
i think i need to do more sprints. Really got me sweating. I will open my hands on the wrist curls on friday and i will try to get forearms like njflex ;)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
i think i need to do more sprints. Really got me sweating. I will open my hands on the wrist curls on friday and i will try to get forearms like njflex ;)
;D...I'M BLUSHING,,,NO HOMO...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »
;D...I'M BLUSHING,,,NO HOMO...
compliment where itīs due.. you have great lower arms.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »

I used to do a lot of wrist curls using this method and i saw some decent results.  I always did them very sow and controlled.  The biggest my forearms got was when i started increasing my grip strength with grippers and i started using a false grip with all rowing motions.  Doing chins and barbell rows with a false grip really increased my grip strength and my forearms seemed to respond very well to that.

These days i alternate between using a false grip and a regular grip when doing back workouts. Seems to be the best combination for back stimulation and forearm work.  Also, i haven't used straps on any lift except shrugs for many years, probably close to 5 years and my back workouts didn't really suffer.  I know a lot of guys prefer straps for back workouts, but after a few months my hands were strong enough that it didn't matter.

Just my .02

8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 08:13:44 AM »
I used to do a lot of wrist curls using this method and i saw some decent results.  I always did them very sow and controlled.  The biggest my forearms got was when i started increasing my grip strength with grippers and i started using a false grip with all rowing motions.  Doing chins and barbell rows with a false grip really increased my grip strength and my forearms seemed to respond very well to that.

These days i alternate between using a false grip and a regular grip when doing back workouts. Seems to be the best combination for back stimulation and forearm work.  Also, i haven't used straps on any lift except shrugs for many years, probably close to 5 years and my back workouts didn't really suffer.  I know a lot of guys prefer straps for back workouts, but after a few months my hands were strong enough that it didn't matter.

Just my .02

8)
THIS,,,BUT I DO USE SOME STRAPS FOR BACK AND SHRUGS ALWAY'S  ,,I DO FOREAM WORK TO MAKE UP FOR WHAT I'M GIVING UP USING STRAPS,,,

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
THIS,,,BUT I DO USE SOME STRAPS FOR BACK AND SHRUGS ALWAY'S  ,,I DO FOREAM WORK TO MAKE UP FOR WHAT I'M GIVING UP USING STRAPS,,,

True, a lot of guys need straps more than i do.  I've always had really strong hands from growing up on a farm and doing lots of manual labor from a young age.  I think my hands are conditioned to be very strong.

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:13 AM »
A wrist roller, by all means. Stand on a box, bench, etc for extra height and use a longer rope. Like doing higher reps...if you can handle the burn.

Reverse BB curls, with a false grip. Very overlooked exercise for better forearms and a stronger grip. Elbows never leaving the sides of the body.

Chins from a overhead beam, using only finger tip gripping. Also one arm finger tip holds (static). Some rock climbers I know have very impressive forearms and gripping strength, women included, do this as an exercise (weight added). Can try a pinch grip when becoming advanced enough, which will improve the thumb strength also. Usually start with static holds.

Taking a heavy weight off a PR (or whatever) and just holding it in place, false grip while standing. Don't let the bar touch the legs at all. If Dl'ing 400lbs from the floor, than try in the 450 to 500 lb range for these static holds. Can advance quite rapidly, as most lifters do. Also try these with DB's. Can cut a piece of heavier rubber hose to length, split it down the middle and place it over a  BB/DB for a thicker gripping handle. Also works on a chinning bar.

Art Jones was greatly in favor of from the finger tip wrist rolls (with BB) and curling up the grip at the top position. Gironda, not sure. Good Luck.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »
A wrist roller, by all means. Stand on a box, bench, etc for extra height and use a longer rope. Like doing higher reps...if you can handle the burn.

Reverse BB curls, with a false grip. Very overlooked exercise for better forearms and a stronger grip. Elbows never leaving the sides of the body.

Chins from a overhead beam, using only finger tip gripping. Also one arm finger tip holds (static). Some rock climbers I know have very impressive forearms and gripping strength, women included, do this as an exercise (weight added). Can try a pinch grip when becoming advanced enough, which will improve the thumb strength also. Usually start with static holds.

Taking a heavy weight off a PR (or whatever) and just holding it in place, false grip while standing. Don't let the bar touch the legs at all. If Dl'ing 400lbs from the floor, than try in the 450 to 500 lb range for these static holds. Can advance quite rapidly, as most lifters do. Also try these with DB's. Can cut a piece of heavier rubber hose to length, split it down the middle and place it over a  BB/DB for a thicker gripping handle. Also works on a chinning bar.

Art Jones was greatly in favor of from the finger tip wrist rolls (with BB) and curling up the grip at the top position. Gironda, not sure. Good Luck.
MOST PEOPLE DO NOT PIN ELBOWS TO SIDES DOING REVERSE CURL,,GOOD POINT.I LIKE DOING THEM AROUND BEHIND BACK WRIST CURLS AND THE ROPE ROLL..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
I've always had really strong hands from growing up on a farm and doing lots of manual labor from a young age.

Pure, udder strength?

Sorry. I couldn't resist!
 ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »

Wrist-rollers are fantastic.

I think I told you about the wrist-roller I fashioned out of a section of 3-inch PVC pipe. It's about the diameter of a soda can, which works the hand muscles a lot more due to the fact they have to work so much harder to hold onto the device.

I haven't used it lately due to some forearm pain I've been having, but I immediately noticed the difference in the way my entire forearms felt after one set with it compared to commercially-sold versions.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 10:18:03 AM »
Hope everyone understands that you also use a wrist roller underhanded (curl grip)  as well as over handed. Some old school gym's have a wrist roller device mounted on a wall. With different sizes/thickness handles on the same device.  Works very well and can set the resistance to your needs. Maybe your lucky enough to have one of these.

Some hold the wrist roller straight out or have the forearms at a 90 degree angle. Which ever suites your needs. If having the forearms at 90 degrees, have the elbows pressed against the sides  (like reverse BB curls) which seems to give more focus on the movement it's self. And less concern with the front delts having unneeded stress on them, perhaps giving out before a good wrist roller workout is finished.

To the extreme, there are thumb pushups and/or finger pushup (one or two fingers), which martial artist, MMA, wrestlers, boxers, etc, etc, etc, also do. Don't know if they build size but do build strength for the hand/grip strength. Also for striking blows. Good Luck.
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

Pure, udder strength?

;D

Only milked a cow once. (no homo)

They had a wrist roller machine at a World Gym that i lifted at many years ago.  It was very good at working the forearms and you could use it over or under handed.  I would use it at the end of my back workout and my forearms would be pumped like crazy to the point that it was hard to grip the steering wheel on the drive home.

8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
i have been doing a shit load of forearm training lately... i love grabbing a barbell with an overhand grip and doing underhand writs curls... doing sets of 15-20 with 185 these days

for overhand forearm work i rely more on my grippers and wrist roller

i also don't use straps anymore... ever

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:28 AM »
Sometimes I wish my gym had a 'fat' bar..i think wrist curls are only worth it with a fat bar..dont get me wrong, of course you can do them with a regular bar but for me personaly hurts my wrists going all the way down.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
Sometimes I wish my gym had a 'fat' bar..i think wrist curls are only worth it with a fat bar..dont get me wrong, of course you can do them with a regular bar but for me personaly hurts my wrists going all the way down.
yes but now you can get sleeves to put on a bar too make it a FAT bar.