Author Topic: Devastated-got a herniated cervical disk problem  (Read 4098 times)

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Devastated-got a herniated cervical disk problem
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:24:59 AM »
my friends ,
about 2 years ago, I was diagnosed as having a herniated cervical disk by a chiro. I took 3 months off and began training when I started to feel a lot better. I thought that I had made a full recovery, but evidently  I was wrong .
About a week ago, I felt a sharp pain at the back of my shoulder blade,  I am pretty  sure that I herniated my disk again. I don't think i'll be able to do deads or squats ever again. I feel like my dream is being taken away from me. I am only 30yrs and now I am faced with the possibilty of never being able to lift heavy weight again-that just makes feel cheated, pissed off, frustrated.... I am sorry to dump this on you guys, but nobody else knows how much training means to me; not my family and not my friends. I will be seeing a biokenetist in a weeks time and hopefully he'll be able to help my situation. I don't know if I can ever come back from such an injury, at least 100%. anyway thanks for listening.

loler

Re: Devastated-got a herniated cervical disk problem
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 03:55:39 AM »
You pay the price for training with shitty form.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:46:42 AM »
I would get another opinon from a medical doctor, with all due respects to chiro's. Did you get a X-ray of the back at that time and is the disc a #4 or #5, which tends to be the most common? Feeling a sharp pain in  the shoulder blades region may or may not meam a serious problem but a common training bother. Of course you may only need a spine/shoulder/neck adjustment to get somewhat back to normal. I had a major lower back operation to correct a damaged #4 & #5 disc, I had no choice in the matter. That was from college football, nothing to do with heavy training. I lift heavy now on the big lifts.

Not to be a downer but you really sound like a negative guy, so to relieve some of your fears you might want to have a complete checkup. If nothing else, to ease your mind and mental outlook.

Loler: You must have a complete video system to record each workout of Shinobi to know that he has shitty form. I hope you understand that  some people are born with Herniated disc weither they lift anything heavier than a paperweight.  Good Luck.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
Did you get a X-ray of the back at that time and is the disc a #4 or #5, which tends to be the most common? Feeling a sharp pain in  the shoulder blades region may or may not meam a serious problem but a common training bother. Of course you may only need a spine/shoulder/neck adjustment to get somewhat back to normal. I had a major lower back operation to correct a damaged #4 & #5 disc,

Problems with L4/L5 would not cause pain in the shoulder.
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:28:22 PM »
On the bright side, Shinobi, the worst case scenario is that you won't be able to do really heavy deadlifts and squats ever again....that's not the end of your training career.  I know as well as anyone how injuries can interfere with training ambition, but i also know as well as anyone how you can still maintain a great trianing schedule without doing heavy squats and deads- especially at your age. 
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
To the deliciously delightfull Princess L:

When speaking of #4 & #5 disc I was not referring to the shoulder/upper back area, as you might note in the quote that you posted. This was a general reference. I understand all too well the direct discomfort that a L4 & L5 injury can cause. But the lower spine/nerve paths can, at times,  influence the upper body in a negative way also.  So a pain that would be felt in the upper neck/trap/shoulder area may have a root cause in one of the main junction on the lower spine. This can also work the other way around. I've been told this by a few in the medical profession.

I hope Santa brings you every thing you asked for in your letter to the north pole. Good Luck.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 07:33:18 PM »
To the deliciously delightfull Princess L:

When speaking of #4 & #5 disc I was not referring to the shoulder/upper back area, as you might note in the quote that you posted. This was a general reference. I understand all too well the direct discomfort that a L4 & L5 injury can cause. But the lower spine/nerve paths can, at times,  influence the upper body in a negative way also.  So a pain that would be felt in the upper neck/trap/shoulder area may have a root cause in one of the main junction on the lower spine. This can also work the other way around. I've been told this by a few in the medical profession.

I hope Santa brings you every thing you asled for in your letter to the north pole. Good Luck.

I knew you knew  :P
:

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 03:35:32 AM »
Hey thanks you guys. I think I was just having a shitty day. I'll be damned if I am ever gonna stop training. And Loler, its posts like your that help me to remember how important form is.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 09:33:26 AM »
No L4 L5 will kill your lower back and affect your left leg mostly.  I have had the problem since 1983