Author Topic: "Kayfabe Memories," or "Before We Were 'Smart:'"  (Read 24955 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: "Kayfabe Memories," or "Before We Were 'Smart:'"
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »
RAY THE CRIPPLER STEVEN'S PILEDRIVING JIMMY SNUKA ON CONCRETE FLOOR NUMEROUS TIMES,,SNUKA WORE BRACE ,,REVENGE MATCH AGAINST STEVENS WAS BLOODBATH IF I RECALL.
SGT SLAUGHTER WHIPPING BOB BACKLUND REPEATEDLY WITH RIDING CROP AND MARKS ON BACKLUNDS BODY
ULTIMATE WARRIOR UNDERTAKER/PAPA SHANGO ANGLES ,,WARRIOR UNDER SPELL OR BEING BURIED BY TAKER,,

Ray Stevens is a name that is hardly mentioned these days, which is a shame because he was such a good worker, and fairly well-known at the time. He was an inspiration to many future performers.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »

Ray Stevens is a name that is hardly mentioned these days, which is a shame because he was such a good worker, and fairly well-known at the time. He was an inspiration to many future performers.
I REMEMBER WHEN CRIPPLER ATTACKED HIM AND SNUKA WAS A VILLIAN THEN,BUDDY ROGERS TOOK SNUKA UNDER HIS WING AND SNUKA BECAME FAN FAVORITE.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »

8)

One of the best ever.

I used to wear one that said I broke Stoppa's spirit to the gym.  ;D ;D ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
One of the best ever.

LMAO!!!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
One of the best ever.

Yeah, why don't you go back to jogging around H-town.....  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »
SOMEONE MENTION G/O BOARD KEN PATERA,,,REMEMBER IN WWF COME IN WITH OLYMPIC TRACK SUIT ON AND AS HE REMOVED PANTS CROWD WOULD WHISTLE AND HE BRING THEM BACK UP AND WORK CROWD,,LATER ON 80'S HE BECAME FACE ,I THINK THEY WORKED ANGLE HE WAS IN PRISON ?WAS THAT ACTUAL IN HIS PAST OR GIMMICK.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
SOMEONE MENTION G/O BOARD KEN PATERA,,,REMEMBER IN WWF COME IN WITH OLYMPIC TRACK SUIT ON AND AS HE REMOVED PANTS CROWD WOULD WHISTLE AND HE BRING THEM BACK UP AND WORK CROWD,,LATER ON 80'S HE BECAME FACE ,I THINK THEY WORKED ANGLE HE WAS IN PRISON ?WAS THAT ACTUAL IN HIS PAST OR GIMMICK.

Patera & Saito were in AWA - I think this was around 1983, or so. They pulled up to a McDonald's after hours wanting to order food. Upon being turned down, the two men allegedly threw a rock through the restaurant's window, then left.

Later, at their hotel, police confronted the two men, who proceeded to "assault" the officers and, apparently, their dog, too.

It was over a year later that Ken was ordered to serve his sentence. By that time, he was working as a heel in the Fed. Of course, by this time Vince was of the belief that any publicity is good publicity, so they put Ken on the back burner.

Vince got a huge chub when Patera's time was up, and planned a big comeback for him with release of a special documentary tape through Coliseum Video, as well as a big face push pitting him against the Heenan Family, and leading to a run with the big belt.
Those plans were scrapped after Patera ruptured a biceps tendon and had to wear a brace that limited his ring work. He was relegated to serving as enhancement talent, and eventually left the company.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »

Patera & Saito were in AWA - I think this was around 1983, or so. They pulled up to a McDonald's after hours wanting to order food. Upon being turned down, the two men allegedly threw a rock through the restaurant's window, then left.

Later, at their hotel, police confronted the two men, who proceeded to "assault" the officers and, apparently, their dog, too.

It was over a year later that Ken was ordered to serve his sentence. By that time, he was working as a heel in the Fed. Of course, by this time Vince was of the belief that any publicity is good publicity, so they put Ken on the back burner.

Vince got a huge chub when Patera's time was up, and planned a big comeback for him with release of a special documentary tape through Coliseum Video, as well as a big face push pitting him against the Heenan Family, and leading to a run with the big belt.
Those plans were scrapped after Patera ruptured a biceps tendon and had to wear a brace that limited his ring work. He was relegated to serving as enhancement talent, and eventually left the company.
THANX  ,,,YES AWA ALWAYS FORGET AWA HAD GREAT TALENT,,PATERA/SAITO WERE BIG THERE,,,JERRY BLACKWELL,GAGNE,SHEIK,BARON VON RASCHE,BOCKWINKEL,HEENAN,ADONIS,VENTURA WAS THERE A BIT,RUDE,HENNIG...SOME TALENT,,

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
THANX  ,,,YES AWA ALWAYS FORGET AWA HAD GREAT TALENT,,PATERA/SAITO WERE BIG THERE,,,JERRY BLACKWELL,GAGNE,SHEIK,BARON VON RASCHE,BOCKWINKEL,HEENAN,ADONIS,VENTURA WAS THERE A BIT,RUDE,HENNIG...SOME TALENT,,

When Vince took over the WWWF from his Dad, I think he got proportionately more talent from Verne's promotion than any other territory. To your list, add Snuka, Andre, Hogan, Oakerlund, Schultz, Graham, Resnick, and a bunch of others I know we're forgetting.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »

When Vince took over the WWWF from his Dad, I think he got proportionately more talent from Verne's promotion than any other territory. To your list, add Snuka, Andre, Hogan, Oakerlund, Schultz, Graham, Resnick, and a bunch of others I know we're forgetting.
YEAH 1ST 4 A GIVEN,,ORNDORFF CAME FROM NWA..BILLY GRAHAM WENT MIDLANTIC,WWF,AWA,FLORIDA NWA.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »
Yeah, why don't you go back to jogging around H-town.....  ;D

I told you son, I got big enough that I don't have to run.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 07:08:36 PM »
I told you son, I got big enough that I don't  have to can't run.

;D

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
I remember one time in the 80s. DIck murdoch came out, before he entered the ring, he took his frOnt teeth out, put them on a table, went into the ring, beat some jobber in a minute, left the ring, put his teeth in and walked backstage. All comPletely expressionless. I was like "this is the toughest man that ever lived" :D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
I remember one time in the 80s. DIck murdoch came out, before he entered the ring, he took his frOnt teeth out, put them on a table, went into the ring, beat some jobber in a minute, left the ring, put his teeth in and walked backstage. All comPletely expressionless. I was like "this is the toughest man that ever lived" :D

Nice!!
Murdoch was also Godfather to one of our mods on this board.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »

Nice!!
Murdoch was also Godfather to one of our mods on this board.

I've heard that before. He was the best: him and Adonis were great.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
I've heard that before. He was the best: him and Adonis were great.

Adonis moved great for his size.
A lot of people cite Bam-Bam as one of the best athletic big men, but Adonis deserves his own accolades.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
The snake biting Macho sticks in my mind, as well as Jannetty going through the window.  Both of those were pretty real to me at the time (that friggin' snake was crazy, I'm surprised Macho never fell on it when he was flailing about!)  Strangely Mountie vs Big Boss Man with one of them going to jail?  Not sure why I remember that one.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
The snake biting Macho sticks in my mind, as well as Jannetty going through the window.  Both of those were pretty real to me at the time (that friggin' snake was crazy, I'm surprised Macho never fell on it when he was flailing about!)  Strangely Mountie vs Big Boss Man with one of them going to jail?  Not sure why I remember that one.

Holy shit, brother!!!
Where have you been hiding?

Good to see you back!

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
How about Big Show riding his father's coffin being pulled by Bossman......couldn't believe how realistic that was  :P

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:45 AM »
When Stevens gave Snuka those piledrivers, Snuka sold them like an expert.   You almost felt sick to your stomach watching him writh and twitch on the floor with the big puddle of blood spreading around him.  Everyone should watch that clip.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:26 AM »
When Stevens gave Snuka those piledrivers, Snuka sold them like an expert.   You almost felt sick to your stomach watching him writh and twitch on the floor with the big puddle of blood spreading around him.  Everyone should watch that clip.

That was one of those times that very effectively blurred the line between reality and fiction. Even many of the skeptics had to question at least the possibility that something went wrong and Snuka was legitimately hurt.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:16 AM »

I am originally from Waukeha and I know that McDonalds very well.  My friend was working that night.  The rock was huge.  Think just a little smaller than the smallest atlas stone in a WSM.  Right through the drive through window.  Awesome  LOL  My buddy called me when he got home.  

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Everything I saw the old mags with pics of the Shiek and his pencil, or blinding someone with the powder or throwing a fireball... I would think "why does anyone even bother to wrestle him at all?"

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »
I am originally from Waukeha and I know that McDonalds very well.  My friend was working that night.  The rock was huge.  Think just a little smaller than the smallest atlas stone in a WSM.  Right through the drive through window.  Awesome  LOL  My buddy called me when he got home.  

Yes, sir; prior to the vagification of Western society, there were some legitimately crazy bastards in the business back then.

I remember riding in the car with New Jack about ten years ago (man, time flies). He tried to come off as that type, but it was overdone. He tried too hard, and the "act" was obvious. I always thought it was a little silly to kayfabe the locker room.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
another good one was Outlaw Ron Bass cutting up Brutus Beefcake's head with the spurs, 'injuring him' and setting up the Ultimate Warrior to take his place and beat Honkey for the IC title at Summerslam 88

brutus bled like a stuck pig, as JR would say
Flower Boy Ran Away