Author Topic: question about weighted dips  (Read 8334 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
question about weighted dips
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:29:22 AM »
is it good enough to take them just to parallel?

i can go deeper but i don't want to risk injury since i'm getting up there in weight used

also, they've been killing my goddamn elbows so a friend of mine advised me to wrap my elbows "lightly' and i did so last nite and it helped ALOT with the elbow pain, in fact the elbows didn't bother me at all :)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: question about weighted dips
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:05:52 AM »

i can go deeper but i don't want to risk injury since i'm getting up there in weight used

also, they've been killing my goddamn elbows so a friend of mine advised me to wrap my elbows "lightly' and i did so last nite and it helped ALOT with the elbow pain, in fact the elbows didn't bother me at all :)
i do not go below parallel but i´ve had a shoulder issue...njflex is great at Dips...ask him... ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:29:55 AM »
i do not go below parallel but i´ve had a shoulder issue...njflex is great at Dips...ask him... ;D

well, i fucked up my left shoulder bout 5 years back during a drunken basketball game and i didn't realize how bad i hurt it til a few days later when i finally awoke from my drunken haze

now my shoulder is near 100% and i can finally go all-out on upper body moves, but i don't want to risk re-injuring it with these dips, so i thought that i'd ask some opinions on dipping depth and risk of shoulder injury

it's knida strange/funny that now my elbows are killing me on these dips but the shoulders are fine ??? ??? ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:21 AM »
well i can do dips on 2 sets of bars one on my chin station ( a closer grip which i like better elbows NOT flared out) and chin bars on my leg raise station which i feel on my shoulders as they are wider::: see most will say wide grip dips a wide chest but i feel it better closer.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:06 AM »
of course the Gironda Dip fans will disagree but i find what i do safer and better for MY shoulders.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
If having a "V" dipping bar, than different hand spacing is possible. Changing the width/grip of a dip can make quite a difference for most. A closer hand spacing will affect the triceps strongly (more if the body is held at a 180 degree angle) A middle to wider spacing, the triceps/pecs/delts, the elbows being out more. Lean forward and the pec's & delts are worked hard.  (the great Marvin Eder was reported to have done 400+ in a some what closer grip).

Personal injection; I have always liked the dip, over the bench, as an upper mass and strength builder. The push/press is down and along the body, which seems to give less stress on the joints/muscles involved.

Parallel works for most guy's. Though the benefit of a full stretch, for BB'ers, will be missing. Most mass freaks don't care about that, and even quarter reps are popular. Another version is with the knuckles facing somewhat inward. Either version is not for everyone, so let caution may be the guide if trying these out for yourself. Lot of stress on the elbows/forearms/wrist. All including the shoulder girdle. Good Luck.
F

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
just do them like your regular dips,if your form changed with the added weight then you're using too much weight.......
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
just do them like your regular dips,if your form changed with the added weight then you're using too much weight.......
a very simply put answer and so correct  ;)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Agree with Traps, when in doubt K.I.S.S.. 

If feeling like experimenting, than help yourself. But basics styles usually trumps everything else. If you encounter a potential problem, a different approach may be needed. Dips, chins, presses or whatever. A simple 5X5 program (compound movements) have worked  wonders on a lot of people over the years. Good Luck
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »
If full dips hurts just do what you can do. If an exercise hurts find another. I have found that doing full range dips instead of causing injury promotes flexibility through a large range of motion preventing shoulder problems in guys with healthy joints. Naturally a basic rule of physics is that pushing a weight through a longer distance is more work that will naturally limit the amount of weight/reps you can do. Doing constant short range of motion exercises make a joint tight and very injury prone.

I remember a program I used to increase my bench illustrates my point. This program really works and a variation of this program was used by old time bodybuilding champion Chuck Sipes who was a really good bench presser. Using a weight cage you set the pins so your bench moves the weight 4 inches or so for lock out. After warm up of full range non taxing benches you use 4 sets of 4 reps in those 4 inch lock outs with a lot more weight than you can bench. Doing this 2 to 3 times a week in addition to your other training for 2 to 3 weeks. Now you increase the range to half reps. Same protocol for 2 to 3 weeks. Then 3 quarter range of motion. When this is over your arms feel so tight and like a spring. It should be hard to do a full range of motion bench. Now you go to full range benching part of the program.

The program above works amazing. Your arms when benching will almost feel like springs. The problem with tight joints is  that it will set you up to be injured. Your super tight joints through a limit range of motion really is an injury waiting to happen. That's what happened to me. I put 50lbs on my bench single and my prior single was like a feather. My shoulder went and it was injured by the pec tie in for 8 months.

It taught me the benefits of a full range of motion. Doing half reps lets you do less work while pushing heavier weights. If you want to impress people with the massive weight you use doing half reps while leg pressing, squatting, shoulder pressing, and other exercises more power to you. When in doubt make an exercise harder not easier. You are working your muscle not your ego.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »
thanks for the replies fellas

i basically just want to make sure that i don't put undue pressure/strain on my shoulders, seeing that my shoulder injury was kinda major and the doc recommended that i get it surgically repaired, and he said that if i don't then i should never lift more than 100 pounds, but y'all know how conservative that docs can be

i was babying it and being a pussy, but eventually i got over the fear and started hitting it hard, but i don't wanna be a complete dumbass and take an unnecessary risk with it

from what i've read on-line it seems that as long as one doesn't go past 90 degree angle with the forearm humorous then it's staying pretty safe

i just trained then again today and added 10 pounds to them so it's going good 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
I agree with what you have read do not go past 90 degrees. Trust me i did the old school stuff too untill i went to school here and learned how the body works.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
I did dips to full depth for years with a shitton of weight, thinking that extra 2 inches was 'hardcore'

now I cant do dips anymore, have AC degeneration and tons of scar tissue from tearing my pec muscle in 2 places doing deep dips.

even if you use super controlled form it's too much load on the joints imo

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Dips destroyed your joint or was it the bench press? It seems every guy I know that benched big weights in their 20's and 30's have their shoulders pec tie in destroyed in their late 40's/ 50's.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »
bottoming out on dips. I have MRIs from 12 months ago with none of the degeneration, then ones from last month (a year after I switched from bench to dips for 'safety') showing the AC degeneration and labral fraying + tendinosis

i've never torn anything benching but popped pec muscle fibers twice doing dips.

I bench(d) like a powerlifter with a close grip. that extra ROM in the dip just doesnt agree with my shoulders

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
well this gets back to my point on another thread, it´s really about form and depth of the exercise. Dips to parallel will work your chest,shoulders,triceps without UNDUE stress. bench press to just before your chest, not talking much here till you feel it...no bouncing the bar of the chest like a member here showed in a video... not wide grip exposing the shoulder to UNDUE injury.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
I have learned over the years to train with my body and my limitaions(joint range and injury) i can only say that i concentrate now much more on the full movement(positive and negative)..weight and ego have no place now.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
I LIKE DIPS CHIN TO CHEST SLIGHT BEND FOWARD LEGS CROSSED BACK OR HANGING DOWN KINDA STRAIGHT ,,,BODYWEIGHT ,,I ADD PLATES USED TO BUT MY SHOULDER AND SOMETIMES ELBOWS TAKE BRUNT AND I LOSE PUMP/FORM TRYING TO WORK WITH EXTRA WEIGHT.I DO LIKE LEGS CROSSED BACK AND DUMBELL DROPPED IN BY FEET AND HELD FOR EXTRA WEIGHT....

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

I didn't read anyone else's post, just want to say this; don't go past parallel with weighted dips and do not go to failure with weighted dips.
sept 10th APF

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »
here's a good demo of weights dips in the first 25 seconds of this clip, but he is going pretty damn deep here :-\

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
I personally do dips near the end of a workout. I'm fatigued so I don't add weight. The on dips I've added weight on in the past were bench dips (with feet on a bench) but I gave them up because they just felt dangerous.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
I personally do dips near the end of a workout. I'm fatigued so I don't add weight. The on dips I've added weight on in the past were bench dips (with feet on a bench) but I gave them up because they just felt dangerous.
i do 2 sets 15/20 last chest exercise ..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »
i do 2 sets 15/20 last chest exercise ..

i do them as part of a final superset... same rep range... nice and slow

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »
you know with any dipping exercise you have to keep your form 100%.. bench dips or parallel bar dips. always dip till you feel it and not deeper.You feel your muscles working.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:51 PM »
you do 4 sets of dips 'this is a vanity thing lol'before going on the beach ur chest and delts/tris will be swole for good while throw in hot sun and ur good to go...