Author Topic: help tbombz find a job  (Read 24803 times)

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
Re: help tbombz find a job
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »

bikenut
changed his
screen name

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
The problem was in trying to compete with much larger firms that were reaching into the proverbial cookie jar.

The same thing that typically happens to mom & pop businesses once Walmart comes around and monopolizes the market was happening to us.  The bigger firms are capable of providing the same product, albeit without the personalized touch that we offered, and to make matters worse, they would purposely lower their billing rates to the point where they were charging them a mere fraction of the total cost we would bill them for.  

The difference between us and them is that they are companies that span across states and have the capital to weather out the financial storm by way of quarterly and even yearly loses until they get their way.  In other words, they can charge those small-to-medium sized businesses a penny for their services and slowly gather them all and just keep charging pennies for their services until our own business becomes usurped by a lack of clientele and overall operating costs. The moral of the story is that money talks and while monopolies are illegal, they are real and have their ways.

Our advantage was that we had a strong hold on the Greek and Israeli businesses, but over time (and mainly due to their pricing scheme) we lost well over 40% of our clientele and that's when we decided to make our businesses seasonal and mainly have them run around tax time, while also servicing a decent number of businesses throughout the year whose owners are older and not too keen on working with big business firms.

That's when our family made the decision to keep our business, but simply restructure as to save on yearly costs.  I still dabble in it, but now I mainly work for one of the larger investment banking firms and make about 4-5x as much.

"1"
Interesting, just curious again but did you guys utilize an ERP system to help limit costs?

Youve guys basically ended where I would like to start. Open up a small tax business helping individuals, small to mid size business and then promote other services like book keeping consulting etc.

Ive kicked around the idea of franchising with HR Block/Jackson Hewitt type businesses as well for the brand recognition. I think you have to focus on customer relationships when youre a small business as you cant compete in terms of operational efficiency with the bigger companies.

Im suprised those bigger firms were so aggressive with the small to mid size businesses, maybe just to keep smaller businesses from getting to big.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »
Your feigned indifference doesn't hide your crush on me.
Ok. Wordsworth. 'Your feigned indifference doesn't hide your crush on me.'     ::)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
The best jobs are generally found by networking.  Talk to anyone you can - friends, their parents, instructors, etc.

Make sure you have a resume version that looks good in just plain text in case you have to upload or send without formats.

Be persistent, but not rude.

And unless your Eurotrash...stop calling it uni.  Talking like a douchebag won't help.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
still in school?

explains your liberal views...   full of 'knowledge' but dumb as shit in how the real world works.

2 pieces of advice:  
most companies (and people who work for a living) are conservative, so drop the hippy shit
most people hire on appearance, so drop the "I work on a fishing vessel" look, grow your hair, shave the facial hair

finally:  good luck!
you are gay.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
Interesting, just curious again but did you guys utilize an ERP system to help limit costs?

Youve guys basically ended where I would like to start. Open up a small tax business helping individuals, small to mid size business and then promote other services like book keeping consulting etc.

Ive kicked around the idea of franchising with HR Block/Jackson Hewitt type businesses as well for the brand recognition. I think you have to focus on customer relationships when youre a small business as you cant compete in terms of operational efficiency with the bigger companies.

Im suprised those bigger firms were so aggressive with the small to mid size businesses, maybe just to keep smaller businesses from getting to big.

We focused on customer relationships & cultural differences, but those larger firms wanted to corner the market, simply because it is New York City.  You become year round accountant for a business and you handle quarterly finances and get referral to other businesses.  They came and tried to push all smaller outfits from the arena.  We had 3 accounting offices and now we only have one open and that one business does VERY well, but it's because Jewish (orthodox) and Greek businesses are typically family owned and don't like abrupt change.  

We have always employed ERP for it's cost effectiveness.  During the mid-90's we transitioned to ERP and have utilized sage-pro ever since.

It's just a matter of ruthless competition in a heavily desired market.

That said, if I were still working there full-time, I would probably still see about 90-110K, depending on growth and the overall state of the economy.  Unfortunately, NYC is too expensive to live off of simply 100K.  Even though my partner is well off financially, I am not a parasite in that sense.

You can definitely do it Tony, just analyze your market and see who is out there providing the same services and what their tactics (possibly predatory in nature) are towards competition.

"1"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
I am an institutional trader for the firm I work with.  Many years before I sold out to Wall Street, I worked as an accountant servicing small-to-medium sized businesses by way of our family business (think to the tune of H&R block, but on a smaller scale with a couple of offices servicing Greek & Israeli businesses in the NY tri state area). 

I worked as a CPA for well over 10 years of my life and then realized that if I ever wanted to make more than 100K per year, I needed to trade my soul to the devil and become part of the kleptocratic priesthood of financial cowboys that reside deep within the seedy underbelly of Wall Street.

Take your time Taylor.  You're a young man with a bright future ahead of you.  I agree with the idea of getting intern work in the mean time in order to bulk up your resume and pick up new skills that can come in handy.

I wish you the absolute best,
"1"
thanks 1  :)

California's requirements must be less than Texas then. We require two years under a CPA for work experience.

At any rate you should check with your CPA board. In texas we can sit for the CPA exam and get the work experience after.

Seriously just putting that you meet the educational requirements to sit for CPA exam on your resume should be enough to get your foot in the door somewhere I would think.

from what i understand california still requires 2 years work experience under a cpa, but the new federal requirements that start in 2014 only require 1 year work experience (but with a tougher educational requirement).

i looked into it, and your right. i can take the test and get the work experience afterwards.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »
1. My mistake for failing to recognize that you want to go to business school (which is clearly indicated by your saying you want to take the GMAT).

2. Why didn't you take the GMAT as expected?

3. You need to address your drug problem.

4. The military is always an option, replete as it is with post-9/11 incentives, benefits, and bonuses up the wazoo; further, a 3-year active duty commitment unlocks GI Bill benefits, which are substantial. This would add a powerful element to your resume, a source of funding for school, and probably excise the apparent laziness and drug problem from yourr current personal disposition.

Since GMAT scores are valid for five years, you could study for it then enlist, subsequently applying with your still-valid score after your active duty period (though you'll be gambling in the hopes that the country doesn't get into another war for half a decade, which might require your activation from IRR -- a task this war-obsessed nation may well fail to achieve).

Edit: They've also just instituted a Roth TSP, a great retirement vehicle for someone so young.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
Advice  No. 1. - do not mention Get Big in any way.

Im graduating from college in a few weeks. I will have a bachelors degree in business administration and an associates degree in geography. 6 months experience as a congressional intern and campaign assistant,  two years experience as a personal assistant, 6 months experience as a nutrition shop manager, and 6 years working summers as a lifeguard+swim instructor.

I planned on going to grad school in the fall, but deadlines are approaching and i havent taken the required GMAT exam in time, therefore I'll be unable to attent in the fall. 

So I will be working for the next year or year and a half.

I would prefer to work in business as some kind of managerial staffer, ideally working over several aspects of production/sales/marketing, but open to specializing, possibly on accounting, marketing, or public relations (or anything else really).

a few questions..

1) I am thinking about maybe getting a CPA to boost my resume.  Any thoughts ?

2) I want to search for the most profitable businesses in my area, as well as for the businesses with the highest total assets, in order to go down and campaign for a position.  any tips ? where to find the information?

3) any other input yall wanna throw at me.. like for example, if you think im a disgusting ape that looks like it smells and has down syndrome..

Chacka

• Getbig III
  • He's not a homo he did that shit for money.
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Go to a local sex shop and see if you can get a job cleaning out the private viewing rooms.

a "spunk monkey"  :P

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
I will hire you lol  ;D

You can roof for me, skip the resume and interview, will pay you 15 dollars per hour but will go up from there. Have a few rules though;

1. have to be able to carry a bundle up the ladder

2. can't be afraid of heights

3. No smoking weed on the roof

:D ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
With all the photoshopped pics of his nude pics and other pics, will be very hard to find something if they search his name or come across his pics.

I have heard of jobs asking applicants for their FB name and password so they could browse their FB. Most jobs do a google search.

He was dumb for posting all those pics of himself.

X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »
With all the photoshopped pics of his nude pics and other pics, will be very hard to find something if they search his name or come across his pics.

I have heard of jobs asking applicants for their FB name and password so they could browse their FB. Most jobs do a google search.

He was dumb for posting all those pics of himself.

WHAT oh shit you are right, that photo of his back side is the most photo shopped ever, almost enough to go viral, tbombz what were you thnking

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
WHAT oh shit you are right, that photo of his back side is the most photo shopped ever, almost enough to go viral, tbombz what were you thnking

Yup. All it takes is someone who is pissed off enough to send those pics to an employer. OR, as stated, they could just do a google search and who knows what would show up. His ass pic will FOREVER be on the internet.
X

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »
Im graduating from college in a few weeks. I will have a bachelors degree in business administration and an associates degree in geography. 6 months experience as a congressional intern and campaign assistant,  two years experience as a personal assistant, 6 months experience as a nutrition shop manager, and 6 years working summers as a lifeguard+swim instructor.

I planned on going to grad school in the fall, but deadlines are approaching and i havent taken the required GMAT exam in time, therefore I'll be unable to attent in the fall. 

So I will be working for the next year or year and a half.

I would prefer to work in business as some kind of managerial staffer, ideally working over several aspects of production/sales/marketing, but open to specializing, possibly on accounting, marketing, or public relations (or anything else really).

a few questions..

1) I am thinking about maybe getting a CPA to boost my resume.  Any thoughts ?

2) I want to search for the most profitable businesses in my area, as well as for the businesses with the highest total assets, in order to go down and campaign for a position.  any tips ? where to find the information?

3) any other input yall wanna throw at me.. like for example, if you think im a disgusting ape that looks like it smells and has down syndrome..

Your degree is from an unrecognized online school, you're fucked. Rake leaves as suggested.
T

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
Haha holy shit...........this kid just graduated with a 4 year degree in business and you guys are advising him to go into LAW and/or become an "estate lawyer".  Some real fucking solid advice there!  What morons!  It takes YEARS and YEARS of experience to make money let alone become an "estate lawyer".  You don't just jump into estate law.  

Business degrees and MBA's are a dime a dozen.  You're wasting your fucking time dropping several more thousands of dollars in college.  Get out and find  a job, any job and get experience.  The economy is going to get A LOT worse especially for college grads.  Anyone telling you to spend ANY more money or any more time in college is a fucking retard.  Companies want experience.  Years ago you could graduate from college and go right into any job.  Those days are gone.  You want an MBA?  Great you'll be competing with 40-50 year olds with 2 MBA's and 20 years experience.  

The best thing ANY college aged kid can do is learn some essential skills that will see them well into the future.  Find a job and work your way up.  Hell if I was 20 I'd go to North Dakota and learn how to drill natural gas or oil.  Move to Canada and do the same.  College for the most part right now and for the next 10 years will be an epic waste of time.  Don't be a monkey see monkey do.  Don't do what every other idiot young person is doing and worst of all don't listen to adults telling you college is the only way to prosperity.  They are just miserable salary slaves who hate their lives.  Do the opposite of what every other sheep is doing out there.  

Agreed
T

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »
Haha holy shit...........this kid just graduated with a 4 year degree in business and you guys are advising him to go into LAW and/or become an "estate lawyer".  Some real fucking solid advice there!  What morons!  It takes YEARS and YEARS of experience to make money let alone become an "estate lawyer".  You don't just jump into estate law.  

Business degrees and MBA's are a dime a dozen.  You're wasting your fucking time dropping several more thousands of dollars in college.  Get out and find  a job, any job and get experience.  The economy is going to get A LOT worse especially for college grads.  Anyone telling you to spend ANY more money or any more time in college is a fucking retard.  Companies want experience.  Years ago you could graduate from college and go right into any job.  Those days are gone.  You want an MBA?  Great you'll be competing with 40-50 year olds with 2 MBA's and 20 years experience.  

The best thing ANY college aged kid can do is learn some essential skills that will see them well into the future.  Find a job and work your way up.  Hell if I was 20 I'd go to North Dakota and learn how to drill natural gas or oil.  Move to Canada and do the same.  College for the most part right now and for the next 10 years will be an epic waste of time.  Don't be a monkey see monkey do.  Don't do what every other idiot young person is doing and worst of all don't listen to adults telling you college is the only way to prosperity.  They are just miserable salary slaves who hate their lives.  Do the opposite of what every other sheep is doing out there.  

Exactly!

One of the realest posters on GB spittin' some real shit!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
Just get 'a' job with potential to work up.

Work up.

Being 20 something with a degree in business means shit - a lot of work is about common sense and people skills and that will be more use to you in teh early years of your career than theory you learnt in College.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »
1. My mistake for failing to recognize that you want to go to business school (which is clearly indicated by your saying you want to take the GMAT).

2. Why didn't you take the GMAT as expected?

3. You need to address your drug problem.

4. The military is always an option, replete as it is with post-9/11 incentives, benefits, and bonuses up the wazoo; further, a 3-year active duty commitment unlocks GI Bill benefits, which are substantial. This would add a powerful element to your resume, a source of funding for school, and probably excise the apparent laziness and drug problem from yourr current personal disposition.

Since GMAT scores are valid for five years, you could study for it then enlist, subsequently applying with your still-valid score after your active duty period (though you'll be gambling in the hopes that the country doesn't get into another war for half a decade, which might require your activation from IRR -- a task this war-obsessed nation may well fail to achieve).

Edit: They've also just instituted a Roth TSP, a great retirement vehicle for someone so young.

Bad advice.  I don't want my taxes to contribute anymore than they have to his future....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
Where is Tbombz? 

deadz

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:13 PM »
Where is Tbombz? 
Ketamine coma.
T

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2014, 04:09:10 AM »
Gay Porn (or as you just call it "Porn") Fluffer?

x2

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:59 AM »
Funny Sad how things turned downhill for this kid. Poor fella.

juicemachine

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2014, 04:52:11 AM »
still in school?

explains your liberal views...   full of 'knowledge' but dumb as shit in how the real world works.

2 pieces of advice:  
most companies (and people who work for a living) are conservative, so drop the hippy shit
most people hire on appearance, so drop the "I work on a fishing vessel" look, grow your hair, shave the facial hair

finally:  good luck!
If he grows his hair he will look like birds built a nest on his head.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »
If he grows his hair he will look like birds built a nest on his head.

Show some respect newbie.