Author Topic: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.  (Read 3447 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
My employer offers to reimburse us for schooling.. and I've been thinking about attempting to get a degree in Mech. Engineering (I talked it over with the company and they said I would have an Eng. position waiting for me when I graduated). It's too good of an offer for me to just let go.....

My question is this -
Do you enjoy it?
What is your yearly salary?
If you could do it all over again, would you?

It'll be tough for me as I'll be doing afternoon/night classes (I have 8 hours in by 2:30), so I'm debating whether it's worth it to undertake this challenge, especially considering I'm 28 years old and have no real college credits to my name, just tech school certificates.....

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Re: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:19 PM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
I know some Mech E. guys... I think that it's still a very viable degree... According to a Chem E. PhD I am friends with, he says that Chem E. is absolutely gone in the US... I dunno if I would agree... I think he's sometimes a little lazy about things.

None the less... from what I hear, it's not bad at all.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
You will stay employed or always find work like a nurse. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Engineering degrees are good. They don't command the respect they once did, but they are solid. If your employer is willing to pay for the degree and you enjoy engineering, I say go for it...

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
It'll be tough for me as I'll be doing afternoon/night classes (I have 8 hours in by 2:30), so I'm debating whether it's worth it to undertake this challenge, especially considering I'm 28 years old and have no real college credits to my name, just tech school certificates.....

Just don't let your gym time suffer ;) And enjoy University pussy!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Just don't let your gym time suffer ;) And enjoy University pussy!
I wish, my wife would kill me.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
My employer offers to reimburse us for schooling.. and I've been thinking about attempting to get a degree in Mech. Engineering (I talked it over with the company and they said I would have an Eng. position waiting for me when I graduated). It's too good of an offer for me to just let go.....

My question is this -
Do you enjoy it?

If someone else will pay for it - do it !  

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
I wish, my wife would kill me.

Oh well... that changes everything!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
go for it shockwave you can be a decent spaceship builder if you know more about programming circuit boards and light physics
A

MikMaq

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »

My question is this -
Do you enjoy it?

Work full time and goto school, are you high, that's not gonna happen unless the schools are way the fuck different down there.

Anyhow I wouldn't do it unless you have an interest in it, these days a mecheng, isn't much better paying than being a heavy equipment operator.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:36 PM »
I would say do it...and don't skimp on the liberal art electives.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »

;D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »
industrial engineer here.... I started off as a mechanical engineer... but then I went into systems/industrial engineering

I think you you should go into industrial engineering, its more of a diverse field, some say with better pay, more opportunities due to not being such a specific concentration when compared to other engineering disciplines.

but if you think you could have a talent for mechanical then by all means go for it, it takes a special kind of someone to really grasp it.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:07 AM »
Mechanical Engineers typically make 60-70k straight out of school if you work for a big firm.  With 5 years of experience it's not uncommon to hit 100k.  I know a few ME that make 150k working for oil/gas companies.  Like already mentioned, you will always have a job and make good money as an Engineer, unless you are lazy and don't work.

I'm a Structural Engineer and it's a great field to be in if you like working on large projects.  I started off at 62k straight out of college.  Chemical Engineering is the highest paying, but you have to compete with a lot of overseas jobs and typically need to travel.  I know a CE that makes 200k after 10 years of experience, but he travels all over Europe for a large Petro Chem company.

Any way you look at it, Engineering is a solid job with a decent salary.  The only Engineers i know who are unemployed are the lazy ones.

Good luck!

8)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:31 AM »
Mechanical Engineers typically make 60-70k straight out of school if you work for a big firm.  With 5 years of experience it's not uncommon to hit 100k.  I know a few ME that make 150k working for oil/gas companies.  Like already mentioned, you will always have a job and make good money as an Engineer, unless you are lazy and don't work.

I'm a Structural Engineer and it's a great field to be in if you like working on large projects.  I started off at 62k straight out of college.  Chemical Engineering is the highest paying, but you have to compete with a lot of overseas jobs and typically need to travel.  I know a CE that makes 200k after 10 years of experience, but he travels all over Europe for a large Petro Chem company.

Any way you look at it, Engineering is a solid job with a decent salary.  The only Engineers i know who are unemployed are the lazy ones.

Good luck!

8)

This

All the chimcal engineers I know make BANKK!!  but its hard Lol you gotta really be passionate about it too... any type of engineering really. 

Makes you think in a different way.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »

My question is this -
Do you enjoy it?

Depends.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:12:11 AM »

you are  young enough for the time and cost to be minimal over the course of a lifetime though the age difference with other students may niggle you a bit
If money is your main motivation you are already in for a tought time
c

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 06:57:39 AM »
I presumed you were talking about going back to school for a masters degree but it sounds like you're talking about a bachelors.  Doing that part-time will take you an eternity (it's a four-year degree going full-time). 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
Not worth it IMO. Engineers have a hard time finding jobs. I know engineers that work at McD.
A

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
Finding your first job out of school is the most difficult.  It's dan hill from there.  Engineering is one of the few degrees worth pursuing and mechanical allows you a broad range of career fields/industries.  It's a long road for the bachelor's degree, definitely not for the lazy. 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
I'm currently studying M.E and I think it's a lot of fun so far. Some weeks are worse than others but on average I'd say I study at least 2-3 hours per day which is definitely not brutal but it does take more discipline than you might think at first. Although there are periods where everything(exams, projects, programming assignments etc) just comes together in a perfect shitstorm and I have to study pretty much every waking hour but that doesn't happen too often, thankfully. I can definitely see how a very organized person might be able to work like 40 hours a week while studying at the same time, but that would require A LOT of discipline.
from incomplete data

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
Btw, I'm not sure what the American curriculum looks like math wise, but if you jump straight into calculus and linear algebra and haven't done any math for a couple of years you'll probably be in for a very nasty surprise. Make sure to get your mathematics up to speed before diving head first into an engineering program.
from incomplete data