Author Topic: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.  (Read 3448 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Any Mechanical Engineers on getbig? Thinking about going back to school.
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
there's no way you can regret it once you're finished.  you're only asking cause you're nervous since it will be hard.  oh well, it's your choice... i say go for it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
My employer offers to reimburse us for schooling.. and I've been thinking about attempting to get a degree in Mech. Engineering (I talked it over with the company and they said I would have an Eng. position waiting for me when I graduated). It's too good of an offer for me to just let go.....

^
This
:

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
if you ask it means you re not going to do it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
Getting a mechanical engineer or chemical engineer degree while going part time? I'm sure it could be done but it would have to take an insane amount of dedication and time.  Hearing you have zero college credits that would be an incredible accomplishment. The math portion alone makes my head spin.  Even though mechanical engineer degree is considered a masters it really is the equivalent of having a doctor degree due to the amount of hours needed.

My daughter will have her doctor of pharmacology degree this may. 7 years of full time school and a crazy amount of studying. The amount of chemistry courses was incredible. She was in the same dorm building with mechanical engineers, medical school, and other major science majors. They were all super stars in the mental department. A civil engineer is much easier to get.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
Btw, I'm not sure what the American curriculum looks like math wise, but if you jump straight into calculus and linear algebra and haven't done any math for a couple of years you'll probably be in for a very nasty surprise. Make sure to get your mathematics up to speed before diving head first into an engineering program.

Cmon, math is easy BS on engineering school. Little bit of theory here and there, but mostly just calculating shit using several easy patterns you have to remember and apply.

Theoretical math, where you have like 3 years of analysis is where shit gets serious and jaws drop.

When it comes to mechanical engineering physics and weird-ass courses where you have to learn by heart a lot of stupid shit about some machines or whatever is biggest pain in the ass from what I hear. Overall, I believe that mechanical engineering is pain in the ass to study compared to computer science for example. I studied CS (5th year, it's over for the most part) - it was mostly math (easy) and algorithms (fun).

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
Even though mechanical engineer degree is considered a masters it really is the equivalent of having a doctor degree due to the amount of hours needed.

it depends how capable you are.  some people don't need to study as much.  even stuff requiring a lot of memorization... some people have incredible memories.  but for mechanical engineering, i guess it would be less memorization more systematic thinking, which can go faster or slower depending on your brain.

i'm in school with a guy who works full time at microsoft, and takes 20 credits a quarter on top of it.  he just blows through everything easily.  it can be easy for some people.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Cmon, math is easy BS on engineering school. Little bit of theory here and there, but mostly just calculating shit using several easy patterns you have to remember and apply.

Theoretical math, where you have like 3 years of analysis is where shit gets serious and jaws drop.

When it comes to mechanical engineering physics and weird-ass courses where you have to learn by heart a lot of stupid shit about some machines or whatever is biggest pain in the ass from what I hear. Overall, I believe that mechanical engineering is pain in the ass to study compared to computer science for example. I studied CS (5th year, it's over for the most part) - it was mostly math (easy) and algorithms (fun).

I swear you're the biggest c*cksucker on this board. We don't give a shit about how awesome you think you are at math. The only reason you replied to my post was to tell everyone how good you are at math. You do this all the time.
from incomplete data

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
it depends how capable you are.  some people don't need to study as much.  even stuff requiring a lot of memorization... some people have incredible memories.  but for mechanical engineering, i guess it would be less memorization more systematic thinking, which can go faster or slower depending on your brain.

i'm in school with a guy who works full time at microsoft, and takes 20 credits a quarter on top of it.  he just blows through everything easily.  it can be easy for some people.

There's a shitton of memorization on engineering courses, trust me. There's a world of difference between computer science and mechanical engineering in that regard.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
I swear you're the biggest c*cksucker on this board. We don't give a shit about how awesome you think you are at math. The only reason you replied to my post was to tell everyone how good you are at math. You do this all the time.

This time I did it to make you come at me, it's fun I must admit. Let's be honest here, I don't come even close to True Adonis or Galeniko when it comes to that.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 12:21:28 PM »

sounds like you have perfected the calculus sex to 0 as in self sucking
c

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
This time I did it to make you come at me, it's fun I must admit. Let's be honest here, I don't come even close to True Adonis or Galeniko when it comes to that.

Well touche then.
from incomplete data

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »
There's a shitton of memorization on engineering courses, trust me. There's a world of difference between computer science and mechanical engineering in that regard.

oh.  in that case, sounds miserable, but still i would recommend shockwave go for it!

;D

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
oh.  in that case, sounds miserable, but still i would recommend shockwave go for it!

;D

Yeah, to be honest, I sometimes have this feeling that I need to learn physics or engineering because after CS I feel like I don't know much of anything. That's really strange, I mean - I can implement and come up with abstract shit but I don't feel like I can do anything "real". I know a guy who was an engineer, used to build bridges, houses or whatever, had his own company eventually. He's retired now and he builds dog houses for his neighbours dog's for free, just for fun and because he loves dogs. It's like he has this skill to create real things, I somehow admire that. In real life situations he has ton of knowledge which is helpful. Same goes for MD doctors and so on... And what can I do really? Oh and programmers are most boring people ever, engineers are more fun to hang out with.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Even though mechanical engineer degree is considered a masters it really is the equivalent of having a doctor degree due to the amount of hours needed.

???  None of this is correct.

There are B.S. degrees in mechanical engineering (that's what he's talking about) and the credit-hours required are about the same as any other B.S. degree.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
My employer offers to reimburse us for schooling.. and I've been thinking about attempting to get a degree in Mech. Engineering (I talked it over with the company and they said I would have an Eng. position waiting for me when I graduated). It's too good of an offer for me to just let go.....

My question is this -
Do you enjoy it?
What is your yearly salary?
If you could do it all over again, would you?

It'll be tough for me as I'll be doing afternoon/night classes (I have 8 hours in by 2:30), so I'm debating whether it's worth it to undertake this challenge, especially considering I'm 28 years old and have no real college credits to my name, just tech school certificates.....
chaos may have some insight.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
Thank you all for your input, I went ahead and started the process today, applied for the local college to start in spring, and am going to do their engineering transfer degree to one of the major Universities here in Washington... Pretty sure I'm going to have to go way back on my math though, which sucks. Oh well. Such is life.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
Thank you all for your input, I went ahead and started the process today, applied for the local college to start in spring, and am going to do their engineering transfer degree to one of the major Universities here in Washington... Pretty sure I'm going to have to go way back on my math though, which sucks. Oh well. Such is life.

good luck and pay attention to basic maths
c

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »

I made it through an engineering BS program having never taken anything beyond high school pre-calculus before, you can make it too bro 8)

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »
If you're willing to devote the time then any college program is doable.
I went to college With kids who weren't the brightest but they put their time in the books, talking with profs, staying after & managed to graduate.

College in USA isn't difficult. Especially with the thousands of school grabbing at your dollar.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
  Good luck with that.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
Thanks again. Hulk, what type of Engineering did you major in?

kevinf

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »

I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree a couple years ago and currently work as an industrial engineer. M.E. is definitely the best eng. degree to have, you have the most job options after graduation. All my friends who did ME all have engineering jobs, whereas not all of my friends who did other engineering disciplines (biomedical,, materials civil, etc) were able to find engineering jobs. M.E.s can work most other engineering jobs but not the other way around, so you have more options after graduation for jobs.

and I agree with the above post. undergrad engineering math is really not as bad people make it seem and i am far from being great at math. Little theory and mostly application of equations. I'm currently in grad school for engineering and taking graduate math classes, where its all theory...now these math classes are freaking extremely hard as its all proofs.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
Don't do it man , I think your boss wants to bang your wife when you are at school .

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
???  None of this is correct.

There are B.S. degrees in mechanical engineering (that's what he's talking about) and the credit-hours required are about the same as any other B.S. degree.

Obviously and I admit I know little about engineering. I worked with a lot of civil engineers but that's off topic. What I said about mechanical engineer degrees was based that almost all the mechanical engineer students graduated with a masters at my daughter's school. The masters in engineering took them two years to complete. I know there is a proper doctorate of engineering too; EngD.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree a couple years ago and currently work as an industrial engineer. M.E. is definitely the best eng. degree to have, you have the most job options after graduation. All my friends who did ME all have engineering jobs, whereas not all of my friends who did other engineering disciplines (biomedical,, materials civil, etc) were able to find engineering jobs. M.E.s can work most other engineering jobs but not the other way around, so you have more options after graduation for jobs.

and I agree with the above post. undergrad engineering math is really not as bad people make it seem and i am far from being great at math. Little theory and mostly application of equations. I'm currently in grad school for engineering and taking graduate math classes, where its all theory...now these math classes are freaking extremely hard as its all proofs.

I can understand where you're coming from but at the same time I've seen people drop out by the dozens cause they couldn't keep up with the math. It's not that the math is super hard, it's more an issue of not knowing the basics too well in some cases. Anyone who puts in a decent amount of effort can pass engineering math, for sure.
from incomplete data