Author Topic: Is the NFL peaking out?  (Read 5059 times)

MikMaq

Is the NFL peaking out?
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2013/01/29/have-we-reached-peak-football/

Serious question granted it ain`t gonna disappear but when you think of it, there is really no where to go but down.

P.S. to keep this own topic, this should make room for rapid expansion in the IFFB.

The Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers will play in the Super Bowl this Sunday. It will be the most-viewed telecast of the year—and perhaps of all time—in the United States. Advertisers are paying $3.8 million for 30 seconds of airtime.

The NFL is a $9 billion dollar-a-year business with–league-wide–the most valuable franchises in sports. (All 32 NFL teams are listed in the Forbes list of the 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams in the World. No other sports league in the world can claim that distinction).

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
Re: Is the NFL peaking out?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:58 AM »
Not sure but I'm pretty sure the NFL can buttfuck the major networks whenever they feel like it.  Live sports are pretty much the last thing you need network television for these days.  All the NFL has to do is say "We'll pass on a new TV deal, we're just going to charge everyone $X to stream any game live onto whatever device they want."

I read some analysis that said something like 10% of the viewers who watch one or more games a year on TV would have to pay $100 a season for this service for the NFL to match their TV deal income.  I'd sign up for that in a second.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »
Fox actually loses money on the deal with the NFL but they feel it is important to maintain legitimacy as a real network.  NBC felt like it lost it's lustre when they didn't renew a while ago and jumped in and overpaid for Sunday Night Football.

NFL had a huge surge over the last 5 years due to gambling but mostly to Fantasy Football.  The League keeps tweaking the games and soon they will be unwatchable.  But I don't see Baseball or NBA catching up for a long time.

MikMaq

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:55:17 AM »
Fox actually loses money on the deal with the NFL but they feel it is important to maintain legitimacy as a real network.  NBC felt like it lost it's lustre when they didn't renew a while ago and jumped in and overpaid for Sunday Night Football.

NFL had a huge surge over the last 5 years due to gambling but mostly to Fantasy Football.  The League keeps tweaking the games and soon they will be unwatchable.  But I don't see Baseball or NBA catching up for a long time.
Lol if that don`t sound like a bubble I don`t know what is.

Yeah don`t get me wrong, it`s not just the fantasy stuff or any of that, it`s the simple fact that these days theirs nothing on television but sports.

I`ve always despised watching sports, but quite frankly theirs nothing else on tv these days.

I think sports is gonna be a main source of entertainment for a long time to come.

I would however really like to see a rugby league in North America, it`s like the nfl only not slow as shit.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:39 AM »
The NFL will always be the greatest and most lucrative sport in the US for the next few generations.  It might be at the top of it's game, but nothing is close it unseating it.

The main problem I see a fan is a softening of the game through rule changes and now accepted player norms because of things like health and safety, but that is understandable.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
Lol if that don`t sound like a bubble I don`t know what is.

Yeah don`t get me wrong, it`s not just the fantasy stuff or any of that, it`s the simple fact that these days theirs nothing on television but sports.

I`ve always despised watching sports, but quite frankly theirs nothing else on tv these days.

I think sports is gonna be a main source of entertainment for a long time to come.

I would however really like to see a rugby league in North America, it`s like the nfl only not slow as shit.

Yes, Ratard...The NFL is going to enter a steep decline because you don't like it  ::)

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
LOL at a Canadian with Asbergers talking about American football and culture.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
No. /end thread
A

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
The NFL is an unbelievable brand. Because there isn't many games in a year, the NFL will be a force for decades to come.  As long as people sit around and drink boatloads of beer, the NFL is here to stay.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
with kaepernick and the 49ers on top - the sky is the limit  8)

MikMaq

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
Yes, Ratard...The NFL is going to enter a steep decline because you don't like it  ::)
I never said it was gonna fall off the face of the earth did I ::)

Football, will still be no1 for atleast the next half century and I never said it wasn`t.

However the days when the nfl`s tv contacts total more than the rest of all other sports combined may be number.

It`s not a complicated scenario, when you have nearly every dollar in television coming to you, it`s obvious it`s not sustainable.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
with kaepernick and the 49ers on top - the sky is the limit  8)
kaepernick is a gimmick, he will hit a bigger sophmore slump than cam newton

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »
kaepernick is a gimmick, he will hit a bigger sophmore slump than cam newton
maybe, maybe not.  his performance in green bay three weeks ago was foreshadowing a new breed of quarterback though. tall, FAST, incredible arm strength, ball speed, and good accuracy.  that read option, along with a good back like gore, is enough to make any team of linebackers have a heart attack.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
wasn't this topic raised on espn? go to espn and fuck yourself

this is a weak sauce SB week.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 04:22:52 AM »
maybe, maybe not.  his performance in green bay three weeks ago was foreshadowing a new breed of quarterback though. tall, FAST, incredible arm strength, ball speed, and good accuracy.  that read option, along with a good back like gore, is enough to make any team of linebackers have a heart attack.
youre an idiot and buying into the NFL "analyst" bull shit they spew for ratings. One look at the hits RG3 took this past year should tell you that style of QB simply isnt sustainable. Let Kaepernick get hit one good time and get injured.

Its simply a gimmick that will last only as long as he can stay healthy, faster than the defenders and the defense doesnt figure out how to address it.

Cam Newton is bigger, faster and has a stronger arm than kaepernick and it only took one season for ppl to figure him out.

Like I said and you will see its a gimmick, you will be yelling for him to be benched mid next season.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 04:29:10 AM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:05 AM »
Football has been around a long time and will continue to be until the end of the world.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 04:40:41 AM »
youre an idiot and buying into the NFL "analyst" bull shit they spew for ratings. One look at the hits RG3 took this past year should tell you that style of QB simply isnt sustainable. Let Kaepernick get hit one good time and get injured.

Its simply a gimmick that will last only as long as he can stay healthy, faster than the defenders and the defense doesnt figure out how to address it.

Cam Newton is bigger, faster and has a stronger arm than kaepernick and it only took one season for ppl to figure him out.

Like I said and you will see its a gimmick, you will be yelling for him to be benched mid next season to.
I don't watch espn or listen to any sports analyst.  I just watch sports.   IM glad you think kaepernick will be good so long as he is healthy

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 04:42:21 AM »

link? you can't just throw around statements like this without providing proof
I

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:54 AM »

Like I said and you will see its a gimmick, you will be yelling for him to be benched mid next season.

I do agree with this right up until you mentioned Cam. Defenses definitely haven't figured him out as he had a better year than last year. He's a machine.  The RG example is a good one though.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:44 AM »

I do agree with this right up until you mentioned Cam. Defenses definitely haven't figured him out as he had a better year than last year. He's a machine.  The RG example is a good one though.

Spot on go PANTHERS!

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:58 AM »

RG will be fine, if he slides or plays the game similar to Wilson.  Hopefully, two knee surgeries will convince him.  He can make the throws from the pocket, if necessary.

as noted, kaepernick played on a fast surface last week, and had to pass his way out the game, so he proved he doesn't need to run.  He'll have to pass his way out this game sunday too.  

guys like mcnabb and cunningham did well also, eventhough they were classified as running QBs.  

out of the group, RG is the one, who has to learn feet first.

all these guys are getting clumped together because RG is a bit wreckless.  Wilson understands because he knows his 5'11" frame can't take the pounding, so he plays the game a bit like Brees/Flutie.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:31 AM »

evolution, my friend...

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
 Evo