Author Topic: Software Engineer -- any Getbigger write code for a living?  (Read 8876 times)

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
Software Engineer -- any Getbigger write code for a living?
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »
I saw the Mechanical Engineer thread earlier, so I thought I'd ask.

This is bodybuilding related because there are many software applications in the fitness arena.
The answer is "yes".

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Software Engineer -- any Getbigger write code for a living?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
I write DNA into your mother daily.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
I saw the Mechanical Engineer thread earlier, so I thought I'd ask.

This is bodybuilding related because there are many software applications in the fitness arena.

It is saturated IMO.  Unless you come up with something that is not offered yet.  Not sure what that could be.

I just happen to think though..I will look, but I wonder if there is a game like Dopewars geared toward bodybuilders and Steroids.  You can start off a gymrat, work your way up and get connections to a source, then yourself starting selling gear,  do a few contests, Get a sponsor, Fuck fitness chicks, etc...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
im going to graduate in march

don't know what exactly is meant by "saturated"... lots of my friends have got jobs in the 70-100k range straight out of school

raymondo is a programmer

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
im going to graduate in march

don't know what exactly is meant by "saturated"... lots of my friends have got jobs in the 70-100k range straight out of school

raymondo is a programmer

Oh..I was trippin.  I read it as Bodybuilding specific apps.  My bad.  Yeah...good field and pays great.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »
Used to. Now I head up all of engineering. Most time I wish I was writing code again.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »
Used to. Now I head up all of engineering. Most time I wish I was writing code again.

Curious: What were you writing? What language/IDE did you use?
The answer is "yes".

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • significantly cheaper and federally legal
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
I write DNA into your mother daily.

I came here to make an "I engineer some serious hardware for your mother on an afternoonly basis" but see that I was beaten.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »
I came here to make an "I engineer some serious hardware for your mother on an afternoonly basis" but see that I was beaten.

Hi hulkotron

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
Your moms get my RAM every day.  ;D
The answer is "yes".

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
Your moms get my RAM every day.  ;D

Your mom cleans my power supply while hulkotron's plays with her titties.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:13 AM »
Curious: What were you writing? What language/IDE did you use?

Started many moons ago writing in C. Then we moved the C++. Then I got a gig writing Java, then C#, then back to C++, the back to Java. Now that I am in mgmt, I oversee a C#, Objective C (iOS) shop.

IDE? For Java, I liked IntelliJ. For C#, got to go with MS Dev Studio. For anything on Linux, I usually use vi, sad to say.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »
BTW, the new hotness language out there is Ruby. There aren't enough devs that know it, so they are making bank. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just learned Python and be done with it.

Oh, and bodybuilding related: Dorian can't do fuck-all in Python, so fuck him.

breakmore

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
Just finished my mid intern ship going to graduate in a year or so. Experience in .net, c#, vb. And of course  markup stuff html, css etc My previous education was 4 year ict network management. Further experience in database etx.

Still contemplating graduating in a programming like job direction. I still have my last internship 1.5 year away. Ict just has such a wide job base.  I still don't know what to choose and i am 25 lol.  ;D

Dragoon

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »
There is virtually 0% unemployment for programmers (assuming you have actual coding skills and aren't just a google parrot)... and it has been this way for many years.  Even with all the outsourcing/offshoring etc.  I made a good living at it for many years but moved up to management.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:18 AM »
Just finished my mid intern ship going to graduate in a year or so. Experience in .net, c#, vb. And of course  markup stuff html, css etc My previous education was 4 year ict network management. Further experience in database etx.

Still contemplating graduating in a programming like job direction. I still have my last internship 1.5 year away. Ict just has such a wide job base.  I still don't know what to choose and i am 25 lol.  ;D

It's a decent mix. I like the networking and DB background. It'll set you apart. You might want to figure out where in the stack you want to be: at the top, working with HTML, CSS and scripting languages. Or in the pit, working with networking, algorithms and databases. I always gravitated to the pit.

With your networking bg, you might want to start looking at distributed systems, or continuous delivery methods, both of which are HUGE right now. In the pit, you'll probably want to start looking at java or C. Stick with java, and get a good cross platform scripting language: perl or python.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 05:06:41 AM »
Indeed...

www.jigsawtrading.com

Started programming at 13, first commercial system live at 17, then I discovered women & its been downhill since.

I'm 42

breakmore

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »
It's a decent mix. I like the networking and DB background. It'll set you apart. You might want to figure out where in the stack you want to be: at the top, working with HTML, CSS and scripting languages. Or in the pit, working with networking, algorithms and databases. I always gravitated to the pit.

With your networking bg, you might want to start looking at distributed systems, or continuous delivery methods, both of which are HUGE right now. In the pit, you'll probably want to start looking at java or C. Stick with java, and get a good cross platform scripting language: perl or python.

Yes i am thinking about a direction to choose. Front-end or back-end. During my internship i had a varied experience writing cool code for the companies own developed cms, including nice user control with quite intricate coding. And also had a lot of new experience regarding the front end, including responsive webdesign, html5 etc. I truly do not know what to choose, i think i will go where the money is, or maybe work in a relatively small company and do a varied mix of the two. The bosses at my last intern ship said the future was with front-end including new JavaScript libraries, apis and cool new techniques.

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:17 AM »
Yes i am thinking about a direction to choose. Front-end or back-end. During my internship i had a varied experience writing cool code for the companies own developed cms, including nice user control with quite intricate coding. And also had a lot of new experience regarding the front end, including responsive webdesign, html5 etc. I truly do not know what to choose, i think i will go where the money is, or maybe work in a relatively small company and do a varied mix of the two. The bosses at my last intern ship said the future was with front-end including new JavaScript libraries, apis and cool new techniques.

I would choose whichever is harder.

The earlier comment about Ruby was interesting. I've heard that not enough devs know it too. Maybe I'll read up.
The answer is "yes".

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
I would choose whichever is harder.

Don't be a hero. Choose the one that is most in demand. That isn't always the hardest one. More chicks on the top of the stack than in the pit.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 09:23:28 AM »
Also, get up to speed in virtualization. Nowadays, in the real world, if you aren't conversant in VMware, Xen or KVM, you won't get noticed by a saas shop. It's all clouds now.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 11:13:38 AM »
if you are a good fast coder + system admin and yes you can be both, you can make 350k working from home or 90k working for someone in a office

learn

php
mysql
html css (not for design but rather just basic understanding)
javascript
vmware / server management big plus

here is the good news, in 30 days you can learn the basics of php, html and js, once you know the basics you can easily find the code online that you need or close to it and you can modify it

mysql you will need a good 60 days to really understand it well

vmware and basic server stuff 15 days

key is practice dont be scared to test stuff etc

many people call themselves webdesigners, programmers etc, go out there try to get something done, very few are workers, they might have the skill but if they cant get themselves to do things who cares

for those who get things done you will have a endless stream of work

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
Also, get up to speed in virtualization. Nowadays, in the real world, if you aren't conversant in VMware, Xen or KVM, you won't get noticed by a saas shop. It's all clouds now.

let me get this straight...you are a coder, and now head engineering?

im calling BS. you might head engineering software development, or software...but no way a coder ends up heading engineering.

never heard of it and never seen it in 20 years of professional engineering.

the coders are in nerd land. the engineers are nerdy, but they arent playing WoW in the evenings.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
BTW, the new hotness language out there is Ruby. There aren't enough devs that know it, so they are making bank. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just learned Python and be done with it.

Oh, and bodybuilding related: Dorian can't do fuck-all in Python, so fuck him.

very true..i know consultants at the bank of america who make like 100-125/hr as python developers

I know some firms were looking at Scala as the next sexy language as well
getbig or getgot

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
What is this software stuff you speak of?