Author Topic: Karl Rove launches initiative to keep tea party candidates out of elections  (Read 5437 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
The organizers of American Crossroads hope to bring electoral victory to the Republican Party by defeating unelectable tea party candidates in GOP primary races. The new super PAC, called the Conservative Victory Project, will be run by American Crossroads president Steven Law and is supported by former Bush political adviser Karl Rove.
 “There is a broad concern about having blown a significant number of races because the wrong candidates were selected,” Law told the New York Times on Saturday. “We don’t view ourselves as being in the incumbent protection business, but we want to pick the most conservative candidate who can win.”

The Victory Project plans to oppose candidates like Christine O’Donnell, Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock. Though running in places where Republicans were favored, the tea party-backed candidates lost the general election after defeating moderate Republicans in the primary. Many tea party candidates who were victorious in 2010, such as Allen West and Joe Walsh, also ended up being defeated by Democratic challengers in 2012.
 Victory Project spokesman Jonathan Collegio told CNN that Republicans lost six Senate races in the last two election cycles because they nominated “undisciplined candidates” rather than Republican veterans.

The group favors William F. Buckley’s dictum to nominate “the most conservative candidate in the primary who can win the general election,” over Ronald Reagan’s commandment, “Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican.”
 Collegio insisted the Victory Project wanted to elect conservatives.
“But we have to win general elections,” he added.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA), who has a history of incendiary comments about immigrants, could be one of the organization’s first targets, according to Law. The ultra-conservative Republican indicated last month that he was seriously considering running for the U.S. Senate in 2014.
 Conservative groups have blasted the new initiative, and were quick to note that moderate Republicans fared no better than tea party candidates in 2012.
 “The Conservative Defeat Project is yet another example of the Republican establishment’s hostility toward its conservative base,” said Matt Hoskins of the Senate Conservatives Fund said. “Rather than listening to the grassroots and working to advance their principles, the establishment has chosen to declare war on its party’s most loyal supporters. If they keep this up, the Republican Party will remain in the wilderness for decades to come.”

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
But I thought success for the GOPs future was to double down on the far right extremes.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
But I thought success for the GOPs future was to double down on the far right extremes.

Rove is no idiot... He sees the reality.

The more to the right you go, the more you lose the people who win elections for you... The people like me in the middle.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
rubio and rand paul also going centrist as well.

palin out at FOX news.

none of the huge TP rallies in 2012 like we saw everywhere in 2010.

The tea party movement is probably over, isn't it?

Purge_WTF

I love this. The more moves that idiots like Rove make, the further the chasm between Paleoconservatism and Neoconservatism becomes. I hope now that people realize that Fox News was trying to hijack the Tea Party instead of truly trying to promote it.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
I love this. The more moves that idiots like Rove make, the further the chasm between Paleoconservatism and Neoconservatism becomes. I hope now that people realize that Fox News was trying to hijack the Tea Party instead of truly trying to promote it.

Yep. Infiltrate and then co-opt.

I got a huge kick out of seeing Sarah Palin speak at those Tea Party rallies...I knew then that it was just about over as an actual political movement.

Same thing happened to the Occupy Wall Street, although they were far more disorganized in their message and makeup. I'm sure, at last for a split second, before the machines got spinning that the establishment was pretty worried about OWS and The Tea Party actually joining as one.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The organizers of American Crossroads hope to bring electoral victory to the Republican Party by defeating unelectable tea party candidates in GOP primary races. The new super PAC, called the Conservative Victory Project, will be run by American Crossroads president Steven Law and is supported by former Bush political adviser Karl Rove.
 “There is a broad concern about having blown a significant number of races because the wrong candidates were selected,” Law told the New York Times on Saturday. “We don’t view ourselves as being in the incumbent protection business, but we want to pick the most conservative candidate who can win.”

The Victory Project plans to oppose candidates like Christine O’Donnell, Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock. Though running in places where Republicans were favored, the tea party-backed candidates lost the general election after defeating moderate Republicans in the primary. Many tea party candidates who were victorious in 2010, such as Allen West and Joe Walsh, also ended up being defeated by Democratic challengers in 2012.
 Victory Project spokesman Jonathan Collegio told CNN that Republicans lost six Senate races in the last two election cycles because they nominated “undisciplined candidates” rather than Republican veterans.

The group favors William F. Buckley’s dictum to nominate “the most conservative candidate in the primary who can win the general election,” over Ronald Reagan’s commandment, “Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican.”
 Collegio insisted the Victory Project wanted to elect conservatives.
“But we have to win general elections,” he added.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA), who has a history of incendiary comments about immigrants, could be one of the organization’s first targets, according to Law. The ultra-conservative Republican indicated last month that he was seriously considering running for the U.S. Senate in 2014.
 Conservative groups have blasted the new initiative, and were quick to note that moderate Republicans fared no better than tea party candidates in 2012.
 “The Conservative Defeat Project is yet another example of the Republican establishment’s hostility toward its conservative base,” said Matt Hoskins of the Senate Conservatives Fund said. “Rather than listening to the grassroots and working to advance their principles, the establishment has chosen to declare war on its party’s most loyal supporters. If they keep this up, the Republican Party will remain in the wilderness for decades to come.”

How about sticking by the guy/gal who actually WINS the GOP primary?

I guess some folks forgot about all the moderate Republicans that got beaten in this past election.

It's the same garbage we've seen before. Every time a moderate/RINO loses a primary, he/she undermines the winner, rather than supporting that winner. Murkowski did it; Crist did it; the guy who lost to O'Donnell did it; the list goes on.

And when was Akin a Tea Party guy?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
If the country's population really wanted a far right wacko, they wouldn't be losing primaries.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
If the country's population really wanted a far right wacko, they wouldn't be losing primaries.
Clearly the answer is to go further to the right, they're not winning because they aren't far enough right!

Some people refuse to see there is a paradigm shift occuring, that the center is moving to the left and the right is refusing to adapt. It's not good. It will create a one party system, which will in effect be a dictatorship.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
lol @ OWS... on thier iphones tweeting about how much they hate corporations.

llol @ tea party, watching FOX talking aobut how much they hate politics being controlled by big business.

both groups needs to drink hemlock and jump off something tall into something sharp!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: Karl Rove launches initiative to keep tea party candidates out of elections
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, most of the Tea Party people kept their seats in the last election. Yup, they're really on the way out.

RINOs like 240 foam at the mouth at the thought of the party being brought back to fiscally sanity.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
Clearly the answer is to go further to the right, they're not winning because they aren't far enough right!

Some people refuse to see there is a paradigm shift occuring, that the center is moving to the left and the right is refusing to adapt. It's not good. It will create a one party system, which will in effect be a dictatorship.

Bingo.  Instead of embracing minorities and making inroads with the moderates, they instead waged war on women and spit in the face of the minorities.  That worked real well.

They ran a campaign for 1912, not 2012.  But even on here you got some party parrots claiming they lost because they were not far enough right.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »

How about sticking by the guy/gal who actually WINS the GOP primary?

I guess some folks forgot about all the moderate Republicans that got beaten in this past election.

It's the same garbage we've seen before. Every time a moderate/RINO loses a primary, he/she undermines the winner, rather than supporting that winner. Murkowski did it; Crist did it; the guy who lost to O'Donnell did it; the list goes on.

And when was Akin a Tea Party guy?

you're still hanging on to that dream that the voters are just dying for a hardcore right wing conservative and that's why moderates (as well ad wing nuts like Akin, West, etc..) lost ?

i.e - they don't want conservatives so instead those chose to vote Dem while waiting for their dream teabagger to come along ?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, most of the Tea Party people kept their seats in the last election. Yup, they're really on the way out.

RINOs like 240 foam at the mouth at the thought of the party being brought back to fiscally sanity.

I think that congressmen will have no issue... the lines for the districts are smaller and in rural areas, they will certainly win.

On a large scale, even in most senate races, they will not do well I don't believe.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
you're still hanging on to that dream that the voters are just dying for a hardcore right wing conservative and that's why moderates (as well ad wing nuts like Akin, West, etc..) lost ?

i.e - they don't want conservatives so instead those chose to vote Dem while waiting for their dream teabagger to come along ?

And you're still spewing that BS that being "moderate" is the key for the GOP to win, forgetting all of the moderates that got beaten this past election.

Rove went on Hannity and O'Reilly to clear the air, explaining how much money he's given to Tea Party candidates in 2010 and 2012.

He claims that the issue isn't Tea Party vs. establishment Republicans. It's the best conservative who can win. Hannity reminded the viewers that he practically begged Akin to drop out of his Senate race on his radio show.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
And you're still spewing that BS that being "moderate" is the key for the GOP to win, forgetting all of the moderates that got beaten this past election.

Rove went on Hannity and O'Reilly to clear the air, explaining how much money he's given to Tea Party candidates in 2010 and 2012.

He claims that the issue isn't Tea Party vs. establishment Republicans. It's the best conservative who can win. Hannity reminded the viewers that he practically begged Akin to drop out of his Senate race on his radio show.

fyi - check the subject of this thread

I'm not the only one saying that

The majority of your party is saying that

I personally don't think any kind of Repub is a viable candidate simply due to the nonsense that your party believes in (check your party platform for details on the nonsense)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

Exactly! Most of them did keep their seats. But, because a couple of prominent names lost (i.e. Alan West), some folks are acting as if the Tea Party got creamed the way the Dems did in 2010.

Outside the presidential race, the big deal was the Senate. Most of the GOP senate candidates were moderates, NOT Tea Party guys and they lost their respective races.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
fyi - check the subject of this thread

I'm not the only one saying that

The majority of your party is saying that

I personally don't think any kind of Repub is a viable candidate simply due to the nonsense that your party believes in (check your party platform for details on the nonsense)

I checked the subject of the thread. I also checked Rove's interviews on O'Reilly and Hannity, where he categorically DENIED trying to single out the Tea Party candidates. He broke down how much money he gave to several Tea Party candidates both in 2010 and 2012, pointing out that no other group gave as much money as his PAC did.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
I checked the subject of the thread. I also checked Rove's interviews on O'Reilly and Hannity, where he categorically DENIED trying to single out the Tea Party candidates. He broke down how much money he gave to several Tea Party candidates both in 2010 and 2012, pointing out that no other group gave as much money as his PAC did.

Believe what ever you'd like

Personally I'd love to see your party take your advice and keep running un-electible morons like Mourdok and Akin in the primaries

I think that would be fantastic

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
How can a far right wacko win election when they can't even win the nomination from their own primary?

How many conservatives were in the GOP primary of 2012?  How many moderates/liberals?  Which one got the nod again?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
How can a far right wacko win election when they can't even win the nomination from their own primary?

How many conservatives were in the GOP primary of 2012?  How many moderates/liberals?  Which one got the nod again?

the far right wackos can win the primary but then they get slaughtered in the general election

that's the problem for the right wing (though  if you listen to McWay he'd tell you the problem is that they are just not running wacko enough candidates  which is obviously more than a bit of a disconnect)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
A lot of it still comes down to likability. Look at Ted Cruz and Rand Paul...both of those guys are pretty far to the right and seem to have already began to establish some level of presence on the National Stage. I would take either one of those in a race against moderate Republicans in large portions of the country.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
A lot of it still comes down to likability. Look at Ted Cruz and Rand Paul...both of those guys are pretty far to the right and seem to have already began to establish some level of presence on the National Stage. I would take either one of those in a race against moderate Republicans in large portions of the country.
they are more old school right instead of neocon but I agree the likability of the candidate is very important as sad as that is.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »

Yup but the GOP is run by the neocons and not the libertarians unfortunately.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »
So when Rove was GW's puppet master, he was a Neo Con.

Now that hes the perennial loser of elections, he's a moderate?

::)

Notice how the media only seems to like Republican losers? Moderates, losers and hypocrites are acceptable representatives of the GOP according to the left and the MSM. Now why do you suppose that is?

Here is reality: It was the tea party not the GOP establishment that led to the 2010 midterms
                     Every moderate GOP RINO Rove supported lost in the most recent election cycle
                     Rove had NOTHING to do with the stars of the GOP- Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, etc.

Don't be fooled by that fat crook. He ran Gerald Ford against Reagan and lost. He ran George Bush Sr. against Reagan and lost. He is not a conservative. He is not the standard bearer for the GOP. He is a fat, crooked, big government slob who is just as bad as Obama.