Author Topic: Millions improperly got ObamaPhones - cost 2 billion dollars.  (Read 11951 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Re: Millions improperly got ObamaPhones - cost 2 billion dollars.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:25 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323511804578296001368122888.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

:(

The trouble started when phone companies convinced the government to help offer the program and they made off like a bandit.  Its been cleaned up for the most part now
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »

The trouble started when phone companies convinced the government to help offer the program and they made off like a bandit.  Its been cleaned up for the most part now

::) 

Big Govt and Big Buisiness colluding to fuck the average guy - go figure 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:45:16 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/354867/me-and-my-obamaphones-jillian-kay-melchior

Confession: You’re paying my phone bill.

In the past month, I have received three shiny new cell phones, courtesy of American taxpayers, that should never have fallen into my hands.

The Federal Communications Commission oversees the so-called Lifeline program, created in 1984 to make sure impoverished Americans had telephone service available to call their moms, bosses, and 911. In 2008, the FCC expanded the program to offer subsidized cell-phone service, and since then, the expenses of running the program have soared. In 2012, the program’s costs had risen to $2.189 billion, up from $822 million before wireless carriers were included. As of June, there were 13.8 million active Lifeline subscriptions.

To be eligible for Lifeline, the applicant is supposed to be receiving some significant government benefit — food stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, public housing assistance, etc. But because welfare eligibility has expanded under the Obama administration, more people than ever before are qualified to receive “free” cell-phone service — part of the reason why Lifeline mobiles have become commonly known as Obamaphones. Alternatively, applicants can qualify if their household income is less than 136 percent of the federal poverty line.

But as with any federal program with too much funding, too little oversight, and perverse financial incentives, Lifeline has become infamous for rampant fraud and abuse. There have been news reports about recipients flaunting dozens of subsidized phones. And in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on an FCC audit of the top five Lifeline providers, which found that “41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn’t demonstrate their eligibility or didn’t respond to requests for certification.”

The FCC supposedly buckled down on eligibility standards last year and established other safeguards aimed at reducing fraud. I was curious about how tough it was to get one of these phones, so last month, I hit the streets of New York. And out of respect for the law and my journalistic integrity, I did not lie to obtain a phone.
Now is the point, I suppose, where I should explain that I really, really shouldn’t have received a single phone. Despite what you hear, not all 20-something writers in the Big City are starving. Given my earnings, even if I were supporting a family of eight, my income would still rule me out. Nor do I receive any type of government benefit. By the Lifeline program’s standards, I am unambiguously ineligible.

My first task was figuring out where to register. The rule of thumb is that wherever you can sign up for food stamps, you can apply for an Obamaphone.

Representatives from SafeLink and Assurance, two of the leading New York Lifeline vendors, stand outside the food-stamp offices, paired like Mormon missionaries, young and polite and earnest. They carry electronic tablets and ask all passersby whether they’ve received their free phone “yet” — as if it were an inevitability.

They approached me for the first time outside the food-stamp office at Tenth Avenue and 216th Street, on the northern tip of Manhattan. The SafeLink vendor, a man probably in his mid 20s, asked me whether I was enrolled in any benefit programs.

“No,” I said, “but I’d certainly like to be. I’m hoping to be.” And indeed, while doing research for another story, I had gone through the motions of applying for New York City welfare, which I also don’t qualify for. I showed him my Human Resources Administration paperwork packet and the case number assigned to me. I reiterated that though I had once applied, I had never been approved for any sort of benefit.

He brought out his electronic tablet immediately to sign me up for phone service. He asked if I had an insurance card, so I pulled out my trusty Blue Cross Blue Shield. He looked at it for a second, puzzled, then asked if I had Medicaid. No, I told him, just private insurance through my work plan.

“Private insurance? What’s that?” he asked, maybe not facetiously. My BCBS card was nevertheless photographed, as well as the first page of my Human Resources Administration paperwork. He asked for my name and my home address, and that was about it. The whole process took less than five minutes, and I had to provide no documentation verifying my income level or (nonexistent) welfare status.

The SafeLink vendor then referred me to his opposite number, a rep from Assurance. She too took down my information, registering me for another Obamaphone.

Traveling to several of the welfare offices in the city, I learned this was common practice. Obamaphone reps come in twos, and both will sign you up if they can.

That’s a very questionable practice, given the Lifeline program’s rules: Each eligible household may receive only one Lifeline subsidy, and obtaining multiple subsidized phones from multiple Lifeline carriers is “a flat-out violation of our rules,” says Michelle Schaefer, an attorney-adviser from the FCC’s Telecommunications Access Policy Division, Wireline Competition Bureau.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
So here’s the final count: I was able to apply on the street for one SafeLink phone and seven Assurance phones. I received one SafeLink phone and two Assurance phones, no questions asked. For several other applications, Assurance sent me requests for more financial information.

Finally, I received one other letter, full of grammatical errors, informing me that “there is already an Assurance Wireless account established at this address” and requesting further information about my application. I find it curious that Assurance caught a duplicate only once, considering that I’ve got seven entries in their system, and that they have on file my name, address, HRA case number, and, in some instances, photos of my insurance card and driver’s license. SafeLink was slightly better about catching duplications on the street, but it still gave me a phone when it shouldn’t have.

Since receiving my undeserved phones, I’ve repeatedly tried to reach both SafeLink and Assurance press reps for comment, all to no avail. Their corporate offices have sent me the numbers of their customer-service centers, which are easily accessible and happy to offer plan upgrades to Lifeline clients.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
WOW !!

people in this country commit fraud in conjunction with government programs

who'da thunk it  ?

How about the F-35 @ 400 BILLION Dollars and Counting and but the good news is now they think it can fly safely at night and maybe even in cloudy weather too

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
I'm still amazed the US government thinks it should spend taxpayer money on buying non-taxpayers telephones.

If they want to spend tax dollars on non-taxpayers, it should primarily be programs whose goal is to turn them into taxpayers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
I'm still amazed the US government thinks it should spend taxpayer money on buying non-taxpayers telephones.

If they want to spend tax dollars on non-taxpayers, it should primarily be programs whose goal is to turn them into taxpayers.

I think that was the idea. An individual without a telephone has an extremely difficult time finding employment.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:02:08 AM »
I don't believe the problem was in the program. It was a great idea. The problem lay in it's execution.
The way the program was administered. I could be wrong, but I am assuming it was not administered or run by government employees, but rather private for profit contractors, ...who no doubt hired contract workers who were probably paid piece-rate per application.

If there's one thing I've learned in all my years of network marketing, it's that the compensation structures determines the behaviour in the field. Field reps will invariably do whatever puts the most amount of money in their pockets... so you had better make sure the remuneration structure is conducive to what you want to see occur.
w

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
I don't believe the problem was in the program. It was a great idea.

It's a great idea for the government to subsidize mobile devices and phone service for people? Why is that?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 11:13:09 AM »
Yeah, 24KT/JaguarEnterprises, why is that?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
It's a great idea for the government to subsidize mobile devices and phone service for people? Why is that?

because its a basic human right to have a cell phone, and health insurance, and food, and water, and a house, and a car, and gas for your car, and household appliances, and a college education, and daycare for your children, and clothes, and shoes.

now someone give me an argument as to why any of these should not be a basic human right that everyone should have and thaqt the government should subsidize and I'll give you a perfectly logical bleeding heart argument as to why you're wrong.

the point is, you can make a rational argument for the government to subsidize just about anything.  where's it going to end?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
because its a basic human right to have a cell phone, and health insurance, and food, and water, and a house, and a car, and gas for your car, and household appliances, and a college education, and daycare for your children, and clothes, and shoes.

now someone give me an argument as to why any of these should not be a basic human right that everyone should have and thaqt the government should subsidize and I'll give you a perfectly logical bleeding heart argument as to why you're wrong.

the point is, you can make a rational argument for the government to subsidize just about anything.  where's it going to end?

You can make an argument, yes. I don't know that you can make a rational argument.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
You can make an argument, yes. I don't know that you can make a rational argument.

go ahead.  pick one.  i'll give you a rational argument.  and when i say rational, i mean just as rational as the case for universal health care.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
Temporary aid for people in need is one thing but buying them a phone and paying for it is another.  Even the most ardent fiscal conservative doesn't want children to starve or freeze to death. However, you never know what the participants are spending their money on.

If a person spends years on assistance I think it's safe to say you've lost the ability to manage your own finances.  Reading the studies on the subject of poverty, it never ceases to surprise me how many luxury items many of these families have.  
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
i posted a year or two ago... i know people with 2-3 obamaphones... they have one, their 2nd grader carries one, their babbydaddy got one... all free.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »
I don't believe the problem was in the program. It was a great idea. The problem lay in it's execution.
The way the program was administered. I could be wrong, but I am assuming it was not administered or run by government employees, but rather private for profit contractors, ...who no doubt hired contract workers who were probably paid piece-rate per application.

If there's one thing I've learned in all my years of network marketing, it's that the compensation structures determines the behaviour in the field. Field reps will invariably do whatever puts the most amount of money in their pockets... so you had better make sure the remuneration structure is conducive to what you want to see occur.

This is actually quite true...I see field reps in the streets selling  these gov't issued phones and I know some people who have two or three of them...Im quite sure there is a commission involved

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323511804578296001368122888.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection

:(

its really weird and creepy that you call these phones "obamaphones" when George W.Bush invented the program.....I guess "Bushphones" just doesn't fit well into your hatred of Obama

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »
its really weird and creepy that you call these phones "obamaphones" when George W.Bush invented the program.....I guess "Bushphones" just doesn't fit well into your hatred of Obama

Details and links?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
These phones are used, they are junk, and they are capable of a minimal amount of minutes, period. They are also linked with a SS number, so not sure how a person could have multiple devices. Whatever bullshit was going on, has to do with your beloved corporations seeing a money-funnel they couldn't resist.

I'd also suggest that the unwarranted collection of data we suffer from isn't entirely coincidental to the sudden flood of advertising for these phones. It's said this is an extension from subsidized landlines, and I suppose it is, but I certainly do NOT recall such a powerful draw to get people into subsidized landlines. Funny how that works.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:03 AM »
They are also linked with a SS number, so not sure how a person could have multiple devices.

yes b/c nobody has ever exploited the idiocy and bloated nature of our govt. when your social is involved...social security checks being paid to dead people, people voting more than once, people getting more benefits than they were supposed to.

yup as long as its tied to a social, its a fool proof govt handout ::)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
yes b/c nobody has ever exploited the idiocy and bloated nature of our govt. when your social is involved...social security checks being paid to dead people, people voting more than once, people getting more benefits than they were supposed to.

yup as long as its tied to a social, its a fool proof govt handout ::)

Government handout to the corporations, Tony? Because that's who is pocketing the money.

You'd BETTER get angry at that, because getting pissed at some guy with a junk phone won't get you very far. And it makes you look like an ignorant asshole being led around by his ear.

Corporation and government are the SAME entity. The sooner you learn that, the better.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
Government handout to the corporations, Tony? Because that's who is pocketing the money.

You'd BETTER get angry at that, because getting pissed at some guy with a junk phone won't get you very far. And it makes you look like an ignorant asshole being led around by his ear.

Corporation and government are the SAME entity. The sooner you learn that, the better.

so a business whos goal is to make a profit is to blame here? not the govt who facilitates the shitty govt handout?

the sooner you liberal morons understand what a business is the better off you will be, until then you just look like utopian morons running around saying "cant we all just get along?"

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
so a business whos goal is to make a profit is to blame here? not the govt who facilitates the shitty govt handout?

the sooner you liberal morons understand what a business is the better off you will be, until then you just look like utopian morons running around saying "cant we all just get along?"

Tony, I'd urge you to use your head for something other than a cock-swallowing device, and THINK about what you just wrote. It's called collusion, and it is the very nature of Fascism.