Author Topic: Millions improperly got ObamaPhones - cost 2 billion dollars.  (Read 11948 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Millions improperly got ObamaPhones - cost 2 billion dollars.
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
???

You'll have to explain how this pertains to the argument, avxo. Because you've definitely lost me.

When you say "do we act to mitigate the damage that it has on the average person in our culture?" what damage are you referring to?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »
It will impact your opinion, that's for sure.

A line around the block upon someone's hiring for a job, tells me that we have ample competition, avxo. Would you disagree?

It's a better starting point than a soup-kitchen. I'm sure you wouldn't attempt to deny that.

And they'll tap into which magical bank account as they're preparing themselves to do that?

oh  Oh  OH!

w

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
oh  Oh  OH!

lol...unless they've got one of those bank accounts, they're probably going to need employment, even if it's dead-end shit.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2013, 07:51:55 PM »
avxo: Damage to the average person's security (financial and otherwise), within our culture.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »
avxo: Damage to the average person's security (financial and otherwise), within our culture.

You will need to be more specific.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
You will need to be more specific.

I refer to a threat that presents itself to a person's security, when a world of animalistic breeding becomes combined with ideas that would view such recklessly exploding groups as a "logical" source of production.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
I refer to a threat that presents itself to a person's security, when a world of animalistic breeding becomes combined with ideas that would view such recklessly exploding groups as a "logical" source of production.

Oooh.. animalistic breeding.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2013, 09:18:05 AM »
Oooh.. animalistic breeding.

Is this an argument, avxo?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »
Is this an argument, avxo?

It's hard to argue against a non-position position like the one you posted. If you can post specific things you are opposed to, I can tell you whether I agree or not, and if I don't, I can tell you why I don't.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
It's hard to argue against a non-position position like the one you posted. If you can post specific things you are opposed to, I can tell you whether I agree or not, and if I don't, I can tell you why I don't.

Not sure what you mean.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
Not sure what you mean.

I mean that the position you posted is so generic as to be useless. What's a threat to a person's security?  What's "animalistic breeding"? And so on. Please provid specific issues that you wish to debate, or, if you want to debate in the abstract, clearly define the terms and the scope of your arguments.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
I mean that the position you posted is so generic as to be useless. What's a threat to a person's security?  What's "animalistic breeding"? And so on. Please provid specific issues that you wish to debate, or, if you want to debate in the abstract, clearly define the terms and the scope of your arguments.

Breeding without regard for consequence, as is performed so constantly in other parts of the world, is a threat to the average person's security, financial and otherwise.

Would you agree with this statement?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
Breeding without regard for consequence, as is performed so constantly in other parts of the world, is a threat to the average person's security, financial and otherwise.

Would you agree with this statement?

No, I don't.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
No, I don't.

So when you say this:

In looking to hire someone, I seek to maximize my reward: that is, to get the most skill for the least amount (of pay).

You agree that more people means less pay is generally achievable, right?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
So when you say this:

You agree that more people means less pay is generally achievable, right?

Well, I normally avoid arguing generalities; in fact, I would argue that historically, even as the population grew, the compensation for non-trivial increased. Sure, the compensation for trivial jobs (mowing the laws, sewing t-shirts, etc) decreased, but that's a reflection of the value that the market attaches to those jobs.

But, just for fun, let's just pretend I said "yes, I generally think that is achievable" and see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
Well, I normally avoid arguing generalities; in fact, I would argue that historically, even as the population grew, the compensation for non-trivial increased. Sure, the compensation for trivial jobs (mowing the laws, sewing t-shirts, etc) decreased, but that's a reflection of the value that the market attaches to those jobs.

But, just for fun, let's just pretend I said "yes, I generally think that is achievable" and see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Okay, then please give exceptions to this generality.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »
Okay, then please give exceptions to this generality.

Computer programmers. The population has grown dramatically, and yet more pay is achievable now than previously. Doctors are another good example. At any rate, pay isn't the sole metric (as you seem to think) even if you adjust pay for inflation. Look around you and compare the life of the average person to the life of the average person 60 years ago. It's not even worth it to look further back than that.

You take exception with the statement that when I look to hire someone "I seek to maximize my reward: that is, to get the most skill for the least amount (of pay)." It's always been that way, with every job, and it's nothing new:

Assume I want to have my lawn mowed. I'm willing to spend up to $1.00 per week for this job. You come along and you're willing to do it for $0.50. I'd be stupid to pay you $1.00. If someone else came along and offered to do the same work for $0.40, I'd be stupid to keep paying you $0.50 (assuming he does just as good a job, of course). And so on. If you wanted to charge $1.50 to mow my lawn (because that's what you need to charge to make ends meet) I simply wouldn't hire you. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't owe you a living; nobody does.

This isn't rocket science. It's simply cost-benefit analysis.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:11 AM »
lol...unless they've got one of those bank accounts, they're probably going to need employment, even if it's dead-end shit.

Then they'd better get one of those accounts ASAP ...or face a life of dead-end employment.  ;)  :P
w

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »
Computer programmers. The population has grown dramatically, and yet more pay is achievable now than previously. Doctors are another good example. At any rate, pay isn't the sole metric (as you seem to think) even if you adjust pay for inflation. Look around you and compare the life of the average person to the life of the average person 60 years ago. It's not even worth it to look further back than that.

You take exception with the statement that when I look to hire someone "I seek to maximize my reward: that is, to get the most skill for the least amount (of pay)." It's always been that way, with every job, and it's nothing new:

Assume I want to have my lawn mowed. I'm willing to spend up to $1.00 per week for this job. You come along and you're willing to do it for $0.50. I'd be stupid to pay you $1.00. If someone else came along and offered to do the same work for $0.40, I'd be stupid to keep paying you $0.50 (assuming he does just as good a job, of course). And so on. If you wanted to charge $1.50 to mow my lawn (because that's what you need to charge to make ends meet) I simply wouldn't hire you. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't owe you a living; nobody does.

This isn't rocket science. It's simply cost-benefit analysis.

So you'd say computer programmers and doctors are the exception to the generality, avxo?

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
So you'd say computer programmers and doctors are the exception to the generality, avxo?

No, I said way more than that. Reread my message and stop playing the silly game you're trying to play.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
No, I said way more than that. Reread my message and stop playing the silly game you're trying to play.

I'm trying to find confidence in your ideas, avxo, but you're not making it very easy to do that.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
I'm trying to find confidence in your ideas, avxo, but you're not making it very easy to do that.

If the evidence that's in front of your eyes doesn't convince you, I could draw a proof in brightly-colored crayons and you still wouldn't be convinced.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
I guess you mean the BUSHphone