Author Topic: Hydrolysed whey protein  (Read 10354 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Hydrolysed whey protein
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 06:05:50 AM »
Summing up: Hydrolysates are not only not superior to intact protein in terms of providing amino acids to skeletal muscle, they are distinctly inferior.  Their fast digestion speed leads to greater digestive losses, more oxidation via deamination and provides less amino acids to skeletal muscle.

The concluding statement seems to suggest the findings apply to protein sources in general.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 06:11:56 AM »
supplements are snake oil

HTH

Proof, or future comments of this type will be deleted.
We engage in constructive, credible discussion here. So far, you have demonstrated neither.

The G&O may be a better place for you.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »

Proof, or future comments of this type will be deleted.
We engage in constructive, credible discussion here. So far, you have demonstrated neither.

The G&O may be a better place for you.

bluto is an idiot (i trust you agree that no link is required to justify this)

but he is somewhat correct... supplements in general as snake oil:
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/snake-oil-supplements/
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2011/snake-oil-version-2/

hydrolyzed whey protein commentary:
http://proteinfactory.com/blog/?p=1039

Question

Hello Alex,
 I am trying to compare some of the hydrolyzed proteins that you guys carry.  Can you give me your opinion on the range of hydrolyzed proteins that you carry? 
Thanks
 George

Answer
Sure thing.  When buying a hydrolyzed protein the main thing to know (really the ONLY thing to know) is what the molecular weight average is.  This tell you EVERYTHING about the quality of a hydrolyzed protein.  If you don’t know the MW average there really is no point in buying the product.  And the whole reason you are buying a hydrolyzed protein is because its pre digested.  Well just how much is it predigested?  Well the smallest a hydrolyzed protein can be pre digested is 200 to 300 daltons.  This is the average MW of Peptopro.  (anything that weights 100 daltons would be a free form amino acid).  Next up would be the hydrolyzed 520 with an average MW of 520 daltons (or 5 amino acids long).  Next is the 1400 at 14 amino acids long.  Then the Optipep with a 15,000 MW average.
The smaller the peptides the faster the absorption.  The smaller the peptides the worse the taste.  However Peptopro is somewhat de bitterized.  It’s still really bitter but just not horrific.

I do not predigested food....

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »
if you've never used the 'information is beautiful' chart before than be sure to play with it for a while... great tool... all linked to pubmed or other studies

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
...he is somewhat correct... supplements in general as snake oil:

Percentage-wise, I agree, but only because of the sheer number of "supplements" that are sold, including ones never discussed here like cat's claw and horse chestnut seed extract.

The actual number that do work and have legitimate value is too great to make over-simplistic generalizations like, "supplements are snake oil," and, "I think supplements are fake."

It is also important to remember that not all supplements have been given proper research. That doesn't mean they don't work, and we can't disqualify their effectiveness based on that fact alone, especially in the presence of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. We also cannot ignore the possible synergistic effects of combinations of certain supplements, on which even less formal research has been devoted many times.

I like the balloon chart idea, but it's a little hard to follow, particularly near the bottom. I'm unclear on how some of the items are categorized. Potassium, for instance, seems to be on its own, so I don't understand the reason for its placing. Then, some of the balloons near the top contain symptoms/conditions, again on their own. The organization is a little unclear in certain areas.

Interesting source, though. I hope they clean it up some and update it with more supplements and details.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »
good points...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »

This is the link I referred to above: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/casein-hydrolysate-and-anabolic-hormones-and-growth-research-review.html

Again, it looks at hydrolyzed casein; not whey. I don't know if the same applies to casein, but you can read the article and decide for yourself.
Thanks for the link , will read with interest tonight  :)