Author Topic: Republican: Fetus is the largest organ in the body  (Read 7007 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Republican: Fetus is the largest organ in the body
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
No the kid needs to be on welfare before you can call it that.

So, the kid's a "parasite" but his mama ain't?

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »
It NEVER has the criteria of parasite. The womb is designed for babies to be developed, especially when the instigation of that process starts with an act, in which the woman VOLUNTARILY ENGAGES, 95% of the time.

Political analyst, theologian, and now embryologist. Does your erudition know no bounds, my dear and most wisened sire?

Factor in the electoral college look....MINUS the polls where Dems are oversampled 6 to 10 points and you get something similar to.....

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »

Political analyst, theologian, and now embryologist. Does your erudition know no bounds, my dear and most wisened sire?

do you also agree that the fetus is another species and thus meets the criteria of a parasite?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2013, 06:15:29 PM »

Hmmmm....Someone accused me of pulling that 95% stat out of my behind. Go check that CDC link I posted.

Two other people claimed a baby is a parasite. By definition, a parasite is a critter from one species that feed on ANOTHER SPECIES.

Perhaps, YOU can explain how an unborn baby is a different species from an adult woman. Or maybe you can't, which is why you have to dredge up stuff that has NOTHING TO DO with the subject at hand.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »

Hmmmm....Someone accused me of pulling that 95% stat out of my behind. Go check that CDC link I posted.

Two other people claimed a baby is a parasite. By definition, a parasite is a critter from one species that feed on ANOTHER SPECIES.

Perhaps, YOU can explain how an unborn baby is a different species from an adult woman. Or maybe you can't, which is why you have to dredge up stuff that has NOTHING TO DO with the subject at hand.

absolutely

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
different dictionaries have different definitions

here is summary of the definition of parasite from various medical dictionaries and the "other species" distinction is missing in place of "other organism".  Note one definition even offers the example of a co-joined twin as a parasite and so that kind of eliminates any doubt about whether something of the same species can also be a parasite

parasite /par·a·site/ (par´ah-sīt)
1. a plant or animal that lives upon or within another living organism at whose expense it obtains some advantage; see symbiosis.
2. the smaller, less complete member of asymmetrical conjoined twins, attached to and dependent upon the autosite.parasit´ic
malarial parasite  Plasmodium.
obligatory parasite  one that is entirely dependent on a host for its survival.

Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

par·a·site (pr-st)
n.
1. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
2. In conjoined twins, the usually incomplete twin that derives its support from the more nearly normal fetus.

The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Parasite
An organism that lives in or with another organism, called the host, in parasitism, a type of association characterized by the parasite obtaining benefits from the host, such as food, and the host being injured as a result.

Mentioned in: Antihelminthic Drugs, Antimalarial Drugs, Antiprotozoal Drugs, Babesiosis, Brucellosis, Chagas' Disease, Cryptosporidiosis, Cyclosporiasis, Fluke Infections, Stool O & P Test, Vulvovaginitis
Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

parasite
[per′əsīt]
Etymology: Gk, parasitos, guest
1 an organism living in or on and obtaining nourishment from another organism. A facultative parasite may live on a host but is capable of living independently. An obligate parasite is one that depends entirely on its host for survival.
2 See parasitic fetus. parasitic, adj.
Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.

parasite [par´ah-sīt]
1. a plant or animal that lives upon or within another living organism at whose expense it obtains some advantage; see also symbiosis. Parasites include multicelled and single-celled animals, fungi, and bacteria, and some authorities also include viruses.Those that feed upon human hosts can cause diseases ranging from the mildly annoying to the severe or even fatal. (See accompanying table.)

Types of parasites.
2. parasitic fetus.
adj., adj parasit´ic.
accidental parasite one that parasitizes an organism other than the usual host.
facultative parasite one that may be parasitic upon another organism but can exist independently. incidental parasite accidental parasite.
malarial parasite Plasmodium.  obligate parasite (obligatory parasite) one that is entirely dependent upon a host for its survival.
periodic parasite one that parasitizes a host for short periods.
temporary parasite one that lives free of its host during part of its life cycle.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

parasite,
n an organism living in or on and obtaining nourishment from another organism.
Mosby's Dental Dictionary, 2nd edition. © 2008 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

parasite
a plant or animal that lives upon or within another living organism at whose expense it obtains some advantage. See also symbiosis.
Among the many parasites in nature, some feed upon animal hosts, causing diseases ranging from the mildly annoying to the severe and often fatal. Parasites include multicelled and single-celled animals, fungi and bacteria. Viruses are sometimes considered to be parasites. However, the commonest use of the word refers to the multicellular helminth, arachnid, crustacean (copepod) and arthropod parasites.
accidental parasite
one that parasitizes an organism other than the usual host.
facultative parasite
one that may be parasitic upon another organism but can exist independently.
incidental parasite
accidental parasite.
obligate parasite, obligatory parasite
one that is entirely dependent upon a host for its survival.
periodic parasite
one that parasitizes a host for short periods.
temporary parasite
one that lives free of its host during part of its life cycle.
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
so what youre saying straw is that there is also definitions that a baby would fall into as a parasite?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »

Lol ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
so what youre saying straw is that there is also definitions that a baby would fall into as a parasite?

In other words, calling a baby anything but that, particularly giving it a perceived negative connotation, justifies killing it at will for any reason.

Of course, we saw the definition Necrosis used. But, why let that stop Straw from his usual excuse-making routine.

BTW - what advantage does an unborn baby gain over its mother? And, under normal circumstances, how is the mother injured in this process (outside the pain of giving birth)?

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
do you also agree that the fetus is another species and thus meets the criteria of a parasite?

It depends on what you guys mean by 'fetus,' 'parasite,' 'species,' and so on. It's really a semantic issue rather than a substantive one; we can assign meanings to the terms however we like depending on what our interests our. That's an important element of promoting one's worldview: formulating language (in this case, assigning meanings to terms) such that one's preferred policies are promoted (e.g., defining fetuses as persons so that they gain protection).

I will say that -- based on the scientific meanings of the terms -- embryos and fetuses are definitely organisms, and of the human variety. If we think all human beings (human organisms) should be afforded equal protection, then it follows that embryos and fetuses deserve such protection since they are in fact human organisms. On the other hand, opponents of this policy simply argue that it is certain sorts of human beings that are worth protecting, viz., those with a mental life (which they tend to define as a 'person,' distinct from early-phase human organisms with no mental life).

I tend to side with the latter since I think it is ridiculous to treat as equal in moral status a full-fledged person with hopes, dreams, wishes, fears, and so on with, say, a thing comprised of 100 cells that can be stored in a petri dish.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »

who said anything about a baby?

I'm just pointing out that medical dictionaries don't have the distinction of a parasite as necessarily being a different species from the host

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »

I'm just pointing out that medical dictionaries don't have the distinction of a parasite as necessarily being a different species from the host

par·a·site 
/ˈparəˌsīt/
Noun
An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
It depends on what you guys mean by 'fetus,' 'parasite,' 'species,' and so on. It's really a semantic issue rather than a substantive one; we can assign meanings to the terms however we like depending on what our interests our. That's an important element of promoting one's worldview: formulating language (in this case, assigning meanings to terms) such that one's preferred policies are promoted (e.g., defining fetuses as persons so that they gain protection).

I will say that -- based on the scientific meanings of the terms -- embryos and fetuses are definitely organisms, and of the human variety. If we think all human beings (human organisms) should be afforded equal protection, then it follows that embryos and fetuses deserve such protection since they are in fact human organisms. On the other hand, opponents of this policy simply argue that it is certain sorts of human beings that are worth protecting, viz., those with a mental life (which they tend to define as a 'person,' distinct from early-phase human organisms with no mental life).

I tend to side with the latter since I think it is ridiculous to treat as equal in moral status a full-fledged person with hopes, dreams, wishes, fears, and so on with, say, a thing comprised of 100 cells that can be stored in a petri dish.

By the time most women find they're pregnant, that "thing" is FAR MORE than 100 cells that can be stored in a petri dish.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »

I did if you apply some of the definitions you posted a baby is also a parasite...

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:40 PM »
I did if you apply some of the definitions you posted a baby is also a parasite...

Babies are parasites and they don't stop becoming parasites until they're well in their 20s.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
Concur.

I also think that it's not my place to tell a woman what she can/can't do with her body/whats inside her body.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
Babies are parasites and they don't stop becoming parasites until they're well in their 20s.

hahaha spoken like a true parent

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Concur.

I also think that it's not my place to tell a woman what she can/can't do with her body/whats inside her body.
do you think she should be able to drink and smoke while pregnant?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
do you think she should be able to drink and smoke while pregnant?

I don't agree with it, but it's not my place to tell someone they can't.

IMHO, if she was planning on keeping the baby, then she should choose to abstain from those things. If not, it doesn't matter. But I don't think it's something to be legislated or regulated, that's the parents personal responsibility.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

I don't agree with it, but it's not my place to tell someone they can't.

IMHO, if she was planning on keeping the baby, then she should choose to abstain from those things. If not, it doesn't matter. But I don't think it's something to be legislated or regulated, that's the parents personal responsibility.
you mean parent, singular b/c as we know the law gives the man no rights in regards to their child

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
you mean parent, singular b/c as we know the law gives the man no rights in regards to their child
Yes, I suppose you're correct. But I think we all can agree that the female definitely has the larger say, considering she's the one that is going to be carrying the baby.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
By the time most women find they're pregnant, that "thing" is FAR MORE than 100 cells that can be stored in a petri dish.

What is it by then?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »
What is it by then?

Ummmm....a unborn baby!!!

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »
Ummmm....a unborn baby!!!

How is this relevant to my original point about human beings (organisms) versus persons?