Author Topic: How to make thicker biceps and larger outside triceps?  (Read 5320 times)

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
How to make thicker biceps and larger outside triceps?
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:41:24 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any specific training routines or exercises that would make my biceps thicker and i want my triceps to stick out on the outside more? I figure it will just come with more developement and size but if you guys have any pointers I'm  willing to listen.

Thanks

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: How to make thicker biceps and larger outside triceps?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:30:58 AM »
A Bicep exercise I like to do that really works is 2-arm Dumbbell preacher curl. When I lift the weight up I curl the dumbbell up so that my pinkies are higher than the rest of my fingers. This really can help with the outside head for height and thickness!

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:21:27 PM »
I'm a little concerned with the outer tri's too.  I'd just say make sure you do as many lying french presses and CG benches and rope pressdowns as you do overhead french presses and dips.
:-)

g0ddang

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »
i'd go with chin ups and weighted dips.  but that's just me =)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 01:00:39 PM »
Outside tris:
-Bench dips
-Rope pushdowns
-Close grip pushups or benches

Bis:
-Any type of preacher curls. Include some partials on the last couple of sets.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 01:04:13 PM »
I'd say heavy barbell curls for thickness to the arms along with weighted dips forsure.
bodybuildersreality.com

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 01:25:47 PM »
Call me a dumbass, but what's a french press?
SRHS Raiders

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 01:40:11 PM »
All above exercises listed are good. But remember that it takes about 10lbs of added bodyweight before an inch is added to upper arms.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 01:55:26 PM »
french press aka lying triceps extension aka skull crushers.

if you wanna add some mass to your bi's you need to do hammer curls. to have to triceps. you need cg bench press, dips

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
Um, deja vu.  Didn't the same people ask about/explain the french press in another thread?
:-)

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 04:02:48 PM »
Its all about hand position. For inner biceps/triceps you would use a wide grip. For outer heads a close grip. If you want to add thickness to the bicep use hammer db curls inclose to the body and out to the sides for more width. Also for  Hammer strength dips if you concentrate on the last 3 inches of the movement at the bottom this really adds the mass onto the triceps heads. To develop the lower bicep use the last 3 inches of preacher curls to help along this area and the top 3 inches of concentration curls for that added peak we all want.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 06:57:06 PM »
Rope pushdowns are great.  Be sure to spread your hands at the bottom to get the full contraction.  I do heavy ropes maybe 6 to 8 reps, then follow immediately with the one arm pushdowns on the cable with reverse grip for 20 reps each arm.  Burns the hell out of ya.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 08:11:52 PM »
Thanks guys, good info. Never knew it takes 10 lbs of added bodyweight for an inch on the arms. 

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 09:13:33 PM »
Not too many exercises will give thickness and overall mass to the biceps as will the two handed BB curl, as Jr. Yates suggested. Using a slight cheat is acceptable as long as the movement doesn't become a rought clean rather than a curl. Add the two hand DB alternate curl as another thickness builder. Using 180-205 lbs for regular workout reps is not out of the question for most men who take doing BB curls with serious intent.

The French press is done standing with the bar usually touching the back of the neck each rep. The lying tricep press is just that, done lying. Skull crushers are not French presses by any means.

Personal view: I do not believe that most guy's  have to add 10lbs for every inch put on the arms. I've seen too many gymnist up close who weight around 155-160 who show a 16 1/2 to 17"+ well muscled arm with out any trace of excess fat. Some people would have you think that they would have to reach 190-200lbs to get those 17"ers. One of the greatest pair of arms I've seen were on the Oymmpic gymnist from China who won the all around title that Olympic year. He must have weighted 145-150 and his arms looked a lot like Larry Scott or Boyer Coe's in the old days, outstanding. His arms looked like they were a fourth of his bwt, they were so huge. I've also seen lightweight BB'ers around 180 or so with 18 inch arm's or larger and the only exercises they do are bicep & triceps exercises with a little delts work thrown in. Good Luck.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 02:39:28 AM »
Well if i was mistaken i apologise, that it just what i had had heard repeatedly from other member on this site, but definately could be wrong.
I would definately stick with basics, BB curl/Hammers. Closegrip bench,dips.
I agree with JPM that a rope would really work well also, i am at the stage wer i have had dips at end of tri workout and have just been repping out. Might now put them 1st for a while and add sum weight.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:11:31 AM »
I'm not sure I would agree with the 10lb rule either.  Your biceps are a small muscle....it doesn't take much to put a pump in them and get a good workout.  They are also easy to overtrain which slows growth.  I'd rather do slow controlled movements concentrating like hell on form and contraction, burning out at 10-12 reps rather then lifting heavy.

But thats me, and other things work for other people.  You just need to find out what works for you.  Keep changing things up, you'll know when you hit it.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 03:30:30 PM »
The single best way to get bigger arms:  Get bigger.

Everywhere.

But that's harder than doing curls.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 05:25:53 PM »
I'm not sure I would agree with the 10lb rule either.  Your biceps are a small muscle....it doesn't take much to put a pump in them and get a good workout.  They are also easy to overtrain which slows growth.  I'd rather do slow controlled movements concentrating like hell on form and contraction, burning out at 10-12 reps rather then lifting heavy.

But thats me, and other things work for other people.  You just need to find out what works for you.  Keep changing things up, you'll know when you hit it.

Maybe its not the same but I'm wondering how the biceps are easy to overtrain if when they are the fastest healing muscles?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »
10 lb. = 1" arm gain is a general, useful guideline-no one said it's exact but it holds in general from my experience, has nothing to do with arm size in relation to final actual bodyweight-we're talking a good general rule on rate of future gains if training hard, eating well and gaining mostly muscle. Those 150 lb. guys with good arms would probably agree with the 10 lb. rule when they were building up, actually.

Re: overtraining, it isn't that complicated-arms need somewhat less sets than larger muscles, but the rest needed is the same IMO; experiment with different rest periods for each muscle if this matters to you. Bis/tris anywhere from 5-9 tough sets going to failure and sometimes beyond vs. sets in the low-mid teens for torso and legs. Basic size builders are dumbbell/barbell/cable preacher or standing curls, it's that simple. Hammers are mainly going to effect forearms and lower bi tie-in to the forearms, isn't the best for overall bi development.

Bench dips in my experience are vastly better for tris than regular dips in terms of isolation as well as significantly lower shoulder stress. Hang a dumbbell between the thighs or use resistance bands.

For lower chest decline dips & flys are just as good as dips, experiment with the angle of decline and see which works better for you.

French Press is another term for lying or standing triceps extensions. The more confusing term is skull crushers (weight brought down to the forehead) vs. extensions, to behind the head (far more effective, skull crushers are sh-- re: muscle stimulation and should be re-named elbow crushers for the stress put on elbows). Extensions are the single best tricep size builder, IMO.