Author Topic: CrossFit - Rich Froning Snatches 300 Pounds  (Read 17052 times)

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
Re: CrossFit - Rich Froning Snatches 300 Pounds
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »
If it comes simple to you I applaud you.  That snap and drop can drive you bat shit crazy.  After so many years of "control the weight" fucks with your head.

That Pyrros Dimas video is one of my favorites.  Shit never ceases to amaze.

This one is ridiculous...

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 03:16:47 AM »
You serious?

Yep. Snatch is simple torso extension and squatting motion. Some 50 years ago everyone did these ballistic movements, now everyone bench.

I would rate running as one of the most complex movements (with lots of potential for injury) a human can do but I have never heard anyone say don't run unless you can get a coach to look after you.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 06:33:51 AM »
Yep. Snatch is simple torso extension and squatting motion. Some 50 years ago everyone did these ballistic movements, now everyone bench.

I would rate running as one of the most complex movements (with lots of potential for injury) a human can do but I have never heard anyone say don't run unless you can get a coach to look after you.

No, just because it looks easy doesn't mean it is easy. It's not nearly just "torso extension and a squatting motion. It's much more involved than that. Like other o-lifts.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »
No, just because it looks easy doesn't mean it is easy. It's not nearly just "torso extension and a squatting motion. It's much more involved than that. Like other o-lifts.

snatch is hell. period

a weightlifter gives me few tips.
i did some snatch with 30 pounds, it's hard, with 60 pound it was hell.
and my form was shit.

its more than a deadlift+an overhead squat.
asstropin

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 06:58:21 AM »
those weights are heliumized so it's a lighter 300 lbs than normal - still 300 lbs but heliumized.

I would like to hear more on this heliumization.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
snatch is hell. period

a weightlifter gives me few tips.
i did some snatch with 30 pounds, it's hard, with 60 pound it was hell.
and my form was shit.

its more than a deadlift+an overhead squat.

The only reason why I teach it is because most kids are taught improperly in HS. Coaches will demonstrate then just have the kid do it then a month later they want to test a 1rm and if can get it up, they count it, no matter the technique. These are technical lifts that take time.  Other than that, I wouldn't teach it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »

doozejooze

• Getbig II
  • Get bit
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
No lie, whilst looking at that chart my knees started twitching. Ouch
Rectum defendere!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
In many states you can find a thousand guys that can raw bench 300lbs. You will be lucky if you can find one guy in a state that could snatch 300lbs. It's an explosive lift that builds power and speed.

If an athlete has never done any olympic type lifts you should measure his vertical leap. I bet almost universally you will find an increase from just including the power clean where power is necessary to complete the lift.

Many delusional guys who base their perceived strength on the bench can't take 225 off the floor and put it over head. The main reason is a lack of explosive power. They will blame that's it's to complicated as if cleaning a weight is algebra. 

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
In many states you can find a thousand guys that can raw bench 300lbs. You will be lucky if you can find one guy in a state that could snatch 300lbs. It's an explosive lift that builds power and speed.

maybe in 1983 or even 1993, oldtimer.  all the college programs do them now.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »
but the weights are heliumized of course, which makes the lift ergonomically better.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »
maybe in 1983 or even 1993, oldtimer.  all the college programs do them now.

i saw a lot of college video, lsu, fsu etc etc etc ...
the form generally in all lift is shitty.

bouncing bench, distorted squat, shitty clean etc etc

asstropin

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »
Coach is the Bill Brasky of trainers

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
the "300 lbs" seems suspect to me.
few guy at my gym can snatch 225, it's already a big deal.
theres no fuckin way he tossed up 300 pounds like that lol garantee that weight is 185
A

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
theres no fuckin way he tossed up 300 pounds like that lol garantee that weight is 185

He ate his kale and had a giant pyramid shit that day.  That's why he is so strong.

Spidey

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »

Just Torso extensions and squatting? Well then just go ahead and try a SIMPLE overhead squat and tell me how simple that is, then just try and imagine the force needed to lift, in this case, 300 pounds off the ground, keep the bar in a straight line and stop it on top of your head before you fall back. (and there's a lot more involved)
Btw, have you ever tried snatching or even overhead squatting? Most people i know have difficulties just squatting or front squatting in correct form let alone snatching

Spidey

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
Just Torso extensions and squatting? Well then just go ahead and try a SIMPLE overhead squat and tell me how simple that is, then just try and imagine the force needed to lift, in this case, 300 pounds off the ground, keep the bar in a straight line and stop it on top of your head before you fall back. (and there's a lot more involved)
Btw, have you ever tried snatching or even overhead squatting? Most people i know have difficulties just squatting or front squatting in correct form let alone snatching

I like to do my overhead squats with a narrow grip, snatch grip is for pussies. ;)

I never said I'm strong enough for 300 lbs.

At some point I snatched 3-4 times a week. Maybe that is why we think differently. I didn't try it just once.

Trapper_Slapper

• Getbig IV
  • Clean and Jerks pull the bitches!
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:49 AM »

He could do 1rm overhead squats with 310lbs two years ago, so it was only a matter of time with his given explosiveness.

Spidey

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
I like to do my overhead squats with a narrow grip, snatch grip is for pussies. ;)

I never said I'm strong enough for 300 lbs.

At some point I snatched 3-4 times a week. Maybe that is why we think differently. I didn't try it just once.

If true then that is why it seems easy to you. You're trained at it. Just for laughs, ask someone who never done them to try it in front of you then ask how easy it felt to them  ;)