Author Topic: Squat and mirrors.  (Read 2772 times)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Squat and mirrors.
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:58:04 AM »
Hi,
A  post after a long time! these days iam training without a mirror in squats and deadlifts (only on occasions). Its an awesome experience to feel the movement all the way! but a few times I was not able to align the bar on my traps and posterior delts, ie the bar was not placed exactly in the center and the imbalance could be experienced in heavier weights. The same thing happnes in front squats too so from the past few sessions I have started using mirror again to correct the alignment, I dont have a training partner nor a genuine spotter and being all by myself I am lessing daring . Is there a specifc way to align the bar or do I need to mark the bar?

Thanks,
Vic

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Squat and mirrors.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:21 AM »
i'd focus on using my grip, make sure your hands are aligned (in identical positions on either side of center, and then just swing under the bar and you should be good to go

i do not have mirrors in my gym

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
Actually you should feel it immediately, that the bar is not centered or the grip is off. Or if doing benches, you know the grip is off right away, without the aid of a mirror. Try not getting into the habit a always using a mirror as a guide. Though, at times, a mirror to check the  form, is helpful.  Some will have video shots of side and read performances of a exercise, like squats and DL's. And than, later on, check their style and errors.

We use a very old and bent/curved in the middle squatting bar. It's perfect, because the shoulders/traps seem to fit just right into the center and the balance. This is a original straight York bar, that's probably been used by hundreds of guy's over the years. There are new bars, a bit curved in the middle, that are on the market. Designed only for heavy squatting.

Even with squats, the knuckling on the bar should be the first clue as to your best balance spot. Most use that guide. With DL's, or cleans, some spread the hands, from the inside of the collars and "walk" the them towards the middle of the bar, to find their usual gripping spot. If using   chalk or stick'um  with the first set you will know for sure your best gripping spot for doing more sets.  Can also use tape to mark the bar, better for a home gym than a public one. Good Luck.
F

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
For squats i always get my hands placed evenly the using the centre knurling as a guide where to duck my head under, works every time

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
As others have mentioned using the knurling on the bar is an excellent guide. I don't like to use mirrors when I train, it really is better to feel the movement without visual reinforcement. I also like to use video to see how my form is doing,  it's a great tool for seeing where your weak points are throughout the lift.

I would say that after a while you will see that a lack of mirrors is actually a blessing in disguise.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:42:59 AM »
As others have mentioned using the knurling on the bar is an excellent guide. I don't like to use mirrors when I train, it really is better to feel the movement without visual reinforcement. I also like to use video to see how my form is doing,  it's a great tool for seeing where your weak points are throughout the lift.

I would say that after a while you will see that a lack of mirrors is actually a blessing in disguise.

yes .. remember reading Reg Park never liked training in front of mirrors. I never use mirrors either just test and adjust your position and you know from experience. The video idea is good.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
tou all must have some narrow shoulders.

for aquats i just spread my massive 17.5 inch arms all the way out and hold the bar right next to the plates

8)

mirror?need a mirror to balance yourself?really?how do you walk in an everyday situation? ;D

:D

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
tou all must have some narrow shoulders.
for aquats i just spread my massive 17.5 inch arms all the way out and hold the bar right next to the plates
 8)
mirror?need a mirror to balance yourself?really?how do you walk in an everyday situation? ;D

presumaby you massive fingers never get caught when rehooking the bar
c

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
it can be difficult to subtly take pics in the mirror without detection on the gym floor.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »
i've been squating with a miror for ten years.
since last september i train in a soviet style weightlifting powerlifting club, no Mirror.
i had to start from zero to learn to squat without a miror, it's a different trip.

but now my squat is better, it's really someting to squat heavy without miror, it's great.

i had to learn to deadlift without miror too, at the beginning it was hard, but know my dl is better.
asstropin