Author Topic: Wanna bring my forearm growth up really fast  (Read 15078 times)

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
Wanna bring my forearm growth up really fast
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »
Currently do for forearms directly:

reverse bb curls 5 x 10, last set to failure
bb wrist curls 5 x 10, last set to failure
gripper

they don't seem to come up any. everything else is growing

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Wanna bring my forearm growth up really fast
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
Stop using machines and straps

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
Deadlifts, Barbell rows.. but my opinion reverse ez curls on a preacher bench,,,,but the best man to ask is njflex(steve) he has great lower arms,,

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
Currently do for forearms directly:

reverse bb curls 5 x 10, last set to failure
bb wrist curls 5 x 10, last set to failure
gripper

they don't seem to come up any. everything else is growing

Most trainers I know with big forearms make minimal use of straps - i.e. only when needed.
Ditch the straps for a month or two and determine if there's any improvement.

If your current forearm regimen is insufficient, try some different methods like the farmer's walk holding dumbbells, or even using two plates with a pinch-grip. You can also try hanging by your fingertips from a chinning bar.
If your flexor carpi muscles aren't used to doing static hold work, they may respond nicely for a while in terms of development.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »

Most trainers I know with big forearms make minimal use of straps - i.e. only when needed.
Ditch the straps for a month or two and determine if there's any improvement.

If your current forearm regimen is insufficient, try some different methods like the farmer's walk holding dumbbells, or even using two plates with a pinch-grip. You can also try hanging by your fingertips from a chinning bar.
If your flexor carpi muscles aren't used to doing static hold work, they may respond nicely for a while in terms of development.
yes simply pinching a smooth barbell plate will as Monty wrote help you.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
yes simply pinching a smooth barbell plate will as Monty wrote help you.

At my old gym, we would place two plates face-to-face and squeeze them together - one pair like that in each hand - and walk around the gym. I suppose you could stand in one place, but I think walking helped take your mind off of the pain.

Most guys used 25's and 35's, but a couple could actually do it with the 45's!

Poliquin sells steel blocks of varying thicknesses, each having a chain from which you can hang any amount of weight you wish. I love this concept, as the thickness has just as much effect on the difficulty level as the weight used. The combinations are many.

It's a simple enough concept, and the apparatus is even simpler to make yourself, which I may do.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:53:23 AM »
thanks guys. i'm gonna encorporate all these tips. i currently don't use straps unless it's my heavy heavy dead sets (last 2 sets)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
All good advice.

Might also suggest the common wrist roller, getting that extremes pump/burn, is one of the benefits of knowing that the forearms will be fried afterwards..  More blood, more muscle...a old, but true, BB'ing motto. Use a wrist roller as the last exercise of the day, in a workout. Try it after every workout, no matter what your split is.....even legs. Overhand & underhand grips, should both be included.

Find guy's with larger wrist and shorter forearms have the more natural impressive forearms. And they never have to spend any extra time working them. Good Luck.
F

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
At the top of your last rep on last set of deads hold the weight for as long as you can. Great for grip strength and helps build the forearms

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
At the top of your last rep on last set of deads hold the weight for as long as you can. Great for grip strength and helps build the forearms

Rack pulls and heavy shrugs as well as the static holds suggested above are excellent. Again. No straps.

I went strap free a while back. Took about 2-3 months for my grip to adapt to the point where it stopped failing. Today my muscles will fail long before my grip.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:46:10 AM »

Rack pulls and heavy shrugs as well as the static holds suggested above are excellent. Again. No straps.

I went strap free a while back. Took about 2-3 months for my grip to adapt to the point where it stopped failing. Today my muscles will fail long before my grip.

I tried straps a while back when trying d.c style workouts as they advise using straps. I had never used them before and will never use them again.

To me they made the weight feel lighter in the hands but heavier on the back if that makes any sense. I believe squeezing the bar hard to maintain a grip makes deads feel much lighter.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
I tried straps a while back when trying d.c style workouts as they advise using straps. I had never used them before and will never use them again.

To me they made the weight feel lighter in the hands but heavier on the back if that makes any sense. I believe squeezing the bar hard to maintain a grip makes deads feel much lighter.

i concur...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:50 AM »
Its 90% genetics imo.. But no doubt, direct training and wise use of straps will improve them.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »
I got long limbs and thin wrist so I gotta work real hard to bring these fuckers up.

Training chest last night I did real slow negatives, squeezing the bar real hard. After every dip I did a contraction at the top for 5 seconds. Really burned them up.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
I got long limbs and thin wrist so I gotta work real hard to bring these fuckers up.

Training chest last night I did real slow negatives, squeezing the bar real hard. After every dip I did a contraction at the top for 5 seconds. Really burned them up.

A lot of great advice in this thread. Reverse preacher curls as Donny suggested is actually my favorite forearm exercise. Heavy barbell holds are awesome as Wooo suggested, plate pinching is a another great method as Montague mentioned. I am a big believer in training economy so for me the first step is always to ditch the straps and see how it goes. If this works great then you're set, if it doesn't then you have to start adding direct work.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
I did some direct work yesterday since they weren't sore and fuck me! not sore again today either. I'm hitting back tomorrow and gonna use a neutral grip for almost everything and squeeze the bar hard and see if I can make them grow from that.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 07:13:31 AM »
I did some direct work yesterday since they weren't sore and fuck me! not sore again today either. I'm hitting back tomorrow and gonna use a neutral grip for almost everything and squeeze the bar hard and see if I can make them grow from that.

try indian clubs

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:40 AM »
i do direct forearm training and use some straps on back/trap work other wise as most suggest no straps

i do old school rope attached to weight on bottom and roll up ,down,up, down 3 x and do under hand grip
and cable or bar behind back wrist curl x3 .
i have small type joints and not blessed i would say to have great forearms ,,,i like to get pump to further them...my inners pop,,

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
^^ how many years training?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
^^ how many years training?
24 yrs,,,never stopped for any period of time ,,,

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »
Looks like I may have great forearms at 54. I can live with that.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
I found like calves the forearms respond better to higher reps. I know some would disagree. I use 15 to 20 for wrist curls and wrist extensions. I also use Iron mind grippers or that Ivanko gripper spring machine that you can find in the pages of Ironman magazine.

Another option or thing to add is a little hard to explain without a picture. If you got cheap adjustable weight dumbbells you can add weigh only on one end. As you grab the end with no weight you can do four exercises. With the weight in front bend your wrist side ways so the thumb portion of your hand works up and down. The other is to hold the weighted portion behind you and leverage it up and down. The third and forth is to supinate and pronate the hand with a small weight on one side. 

If the above is to confusing I will try to find pictures.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
Good suggestion from OldTimer1. That weight on one end of a DB has been used quite a bit, back in the day, by strongmen.

Can also do the same exercises with a short handled sledge hammer. And with a better grip. The longer the handle, the better for increased leverage. These dead blow hammers usually run for 2lbs to 10lbs for the longer handled version. Blacksmiths,heavy duty welders/repair men and forge workers (past & present) noted for the development and strength of their grip. Doing this type work all day long, your going to get that exceptional power. Ever done serious work with a sledge hammer, you will understand what I mean.

Can also use a dowel (thick handles preferred) with a rope attached to the end of the dowel and a BB plate on the other end of the rope. Just to note, lumber mill and yard workers will have good forearms and grip, from their daily hard work.  

Just a personal view..no big deal: first choice for increased forearm size, for BB'ers, would be the wrist roller.  Reverse BB curl (alternate regular and false grip) second.  Developing forearm size does not always go with developing strength in the grip. Good Luck.

F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
Another option or thing to add is a little hard to explain without a picture. If you got cheap adjustable weight dumbbells you can add weigh only on one end. As you grab the end with no weight you can do four exercises. With the weight in front bend your wrist side ways so the thumb portion of your hand works up and down. The other is to hold the weighted portion behind you and leverage it up and down. The third and forth is to supinate and pronate the hand with a small weight on one side.

I knew guys who would perform that first movement you describe with the pins from the squat rack. They would stand on a bench in order to lower the pins enough for a full ROM. By adjusting where you hold each pin and altering the fulcrum point, you could easily change the resistance.