Author Topic: Mediterranean Diet Shown to Ward Off Heart Attack and Stroke  (Read 1942 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Mediterranean Diet Shown to Ward Off Heart Attack and Stroke
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
Someones been watching Dr. Oz... 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
Someones been watching Dr. Oz... 

Negative
but you've been outed  ;)

Listening to The People's Pharmacy
:

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Negative
but you've been outed  ;)

haha... how embarrassing!!   ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/health/mediterranean-diet-can-cut-heart-disease-study-finds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/26/health/26diet.html?ref=health

I scored an 8.

It told me to drink more.
;D

I noticed that the only "authority" mentioned in the article who did not agree with the study's accuracy was the vegan...once again proving my theory about the intelligence level of vegans.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »
Not everyone is convinced, though. Dr. Caldwell Blakeman Esselstyn Jr., the author of the best seller “Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure,” who promotes a vegan diet and does not allow olive oil, dismissed the study.

So, on top of all the other asinine restrictions of an asshole vegan diet, this particular asshole vegan wants to cut out one of the few remaining sources that has any health benefit: Omega-3 rich olive oil.

Let's examine the folly in this asshole's ways by identifying what olive oil does:

IT CUTS YOUR CANCER RISK
Olive oil's cancer-preventing powers are lab legends. Which substances get the credit? Polyphenols, for one -- these potent plant antioxidants protect against cancer-causing cell damage. But it also looks like the oil's monounsaturated fat has anti-cancer effects, which means olive oil packs quite a one-two punch! Some people-proof: Check the lower rates of breast, ovarian and prostate cancer among Southern Europeans -- whose diets flow with olive oil -- compared to their northern neighbors.

IT HELPS YOUR HEART
There's virtually nothing better than the big "double O" when it comes to your heart. Olive oil ups good HDL cholesterol, lowers bad LDL, and reduces other harmful blood fats (triglycerides). And that's not all. It also reduces inflammation, another contributor to cardiovascular disease.

IT KEEPS YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN
Speaking of your heart, how's your blood pressure? If it's not below 120/80, you need to get it there. And yes, olive oil plays a role. It can help enough to reduce the need for daily meds. Those potent polyphenols appear to dilate arteries, which brings blood pressure down. (Always choose extra-virgin olive oil, by the way -- its minimal processing preserves the maximum number of antioxidants and heat-sensitive vitamins.)

IT HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT
"Great taste, less filling" -- that light beer slogan rings true for olive oil. While ounce for ounce, all oils have the same calories, olive oil has a fuller flavor so less is needed for tantalizing taste. Plus research shows that overweight people who eat a diet with some fat -- including olive oil -- are more likely to shed pounds than those who slash fat. Why? Oil's rich flavor makes it easier to stick with the program.

IT EASES YOUR ACHING HEAD
If you're prone to headaches and wary of overdoing ibuprofen, try routinely dressing your salad or crisp-tender veggies in extra-virgin olive oil. It contains oleocanthal, a natural compound that, like ibuprofen, blocks pain-producing and inflammatory substances -- but without the risk of stomach upset. While daily oleocanthal doses aren't the painkiller's complete equal, they could lower your risk for heart disease, cancer, arthritis and possibly Alzheimer's. Quite a trade-off."

Study was only completed with 26 volunteers but may suggest that extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) may increase the ability of HDL to take cholesterol out of the artery wall...

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8703292

"Extra-virgin olive oil consumption improves the capacity of HDL to mediate cholesterol efflux and increases ABCA1 and ABCG1 expression in human macrophages

But, I guess those are all bad things if you're a stupid asshole vegan!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

So, on top of all the other asinine restrictions of an asshole vegan diet, this particular asshole vegan wants to cut out one of the few remaining sources that has any health benefit: Omega-3 rich olive oil.

Let's examine the folly in this asshole's ways by identifying what olive oil does:

But, I guess those are all bad things if you're a stupid asshole vegan!

i like you when you drink...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »

i like you when you drink...

I haven't had a drink today.

I'm just astonished as to how any vegan could be any stupider. No F'ng olive oil?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »

I haven't had a drink today.

I'm just astonished as to how any vegan could be any stupider. No F'ng olive oil?

ah

well i like you when you dont drink as well then...

now have a drink guy

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/health/mediterranean-diet-can-cut-heart-disease-study-finds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/02/26/health/26diet.html?ref=health

I scored an 8.

It told me to drink more.
;D

correlation does not equal causation.

i suspect the much bigger factor involved in the results is the attitude and lifestyle of people who consume such a diet. 

people who drink a single glass of wine everyday at dinner are going to be people who live a very structured, moderate, balanced lifestyle. they live longer not because the glass of poison has some anti oxidants in it, but because they are generally very moderate people who make moderate, balanced choices in life.

olive oil, for one, isnt anything anybody should be eating if they are worried about health. eat an olive if you want the benefits of the oil inside. the raw natural olive is going to be healthier than the processed oil that comes from it. wheres the fiber, water, and all the nutrients we dont know about that are contained in the skin and flesh of the organism?  etc etc

eat raw, natural plant foods. fruits and vegetables. and live a moderate , balanced, healthy lifestyle.