Author Topic: MLB 2013  (Read 33538 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: MLB 2013
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
big game for phils yesterday, getting shutout whole game 2-0 by homer bailey two homeruns in ninth inning off of a. chapman and phils are 21-23 with three games against the marlins starting today monday.this after elmer fudd aka charlie manual puts cliff lee in to pinch run and he promptly gets picked off in front of kratz's homerun. ::) ::) ::)took freddie galvis to hit a back to back to win game. note to charlie manual john mayberry was available to pinch run. use a position player next time. ::) ::)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
big game for phils yesterday, getting shutout whole game 2-0 by homer bailey two homeruns in ninth inning off of a. chapman and phils are 21-23 with three games against the marlins starting today monday.this after elmer fudd aka charlie manual puts cliff lee in to pinch run and he promptly gets picked off in front of kratz's homerun. ::) ::) ::)took freddie galvis to hit a back to back to win game. note to charlie manual john mayberry was available to pinch run. use a position player next time. ::) ::)
forgot to mention i was one of the 41,009 at the game.and no i did not get excited when ruiz grasped his hamstring and had to be removed, looks like he was juiced last year, i'm just saying. :( >:(
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
Texas Rangers win 3 out 4 versus the defending AL Champs Detroit Tigers. Still have the best record in baseball with 60% of last years starting pitching staff injured(young pitchers stepping up in their place) and just called up MLBs number one prospect, Jurikson Profar. Deepest organization in baseball.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
I used a FBB draft pick on Mr. Profar and have been waiting for this.  Of course, I didn't start him this week, but plan to if he stays up.

Outside of Darvish, we'll have to see if the SP holds up.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:38 PM »
Texas Rangers win 3 out 4 versus the defending AL Champs Detroit Tigers. Still have the best record in baseball with 60% of last years starting pitching staff injured(young pitchers stepping up in their place) and just called up MLBs number one prospect, Jurikson Profar. Deepest organization in baseball.
Just proves that one guy (Hamilton) does not make a team.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
I used a FBB draft pick on Mr. Profar and have been waiting for this.  Of course, I didn't start him this week, but plan to if he stays up.

Outside of Darvish, we'll have to see if the SP holds up.

Outside of a super utility role I just don't see how Profar stays up for any extended period of time unless he just comes in and forces himself to stay by playing incredible. Washington has already stated he wants Profar getting regular at bats and with Kinsler on only a 15 day DL batting .302 and playing at a very high level coupled with 1st baseman Mitch Moreland being on a ridiculous tear, hitting something like .375 in the last month with 10 homers for the season, it's going to be hard to find a place for Profar. The original thought was move Kinsler to 1st but how do you sit Moreland who has been crushing the ball?

The only potential spot I see is replacing a struggling left fielder, David Murphy...but I'm not even sure Profar has been getting any work in the outfield.

Profar is batting 9th tonight, should be interesting.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Just proves that one guy (Hamilton) does not make a team.

A bad contract on an aging player can really be detrimental to a team in a couple ways. Financially of course because money is guaranteed but also it can hurt the developmental phase with some of the younger guys coming up. No doubt GM Jon Daniels wanted to keep Hamilton and also wanted to sign Greinke BUT only at the right price and also keeping in mind that he had full confidence in his farm system, and it has paid off.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
Outside of a super utility role I just don't see how Profar stays up for any extended period of time unless he just comes in and forces himself to stay by playing incredible. Washington has already stated he wants Profar getting regular at bats and with Kinsler batting .302 and playing at a very high level coupled with 1st baseman Mitch Moreland being on a ridiculous tear, hitting something like .375 in the last month with 10 homers for the season, it's going to be hard to find a place for Profar. The original thought was move Kinsler to 1st but how do you sit Moreland who has been crushing the ball?

The only potential spot I see is replacing a struggling left fielder, David Murphy...but I'm not even sure Profar has been getting any work in the outfield.

Profar is batting 9th tonight, should be interesting.

I haven't looked as to who might be available, but they may want to use Profar for SP.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
I haven't looked as to who might be available, but they may want to use Profar for SP.

Yeah that's been the talk. Either a starting pitcher or a power hitting corner outfielder. This goes without saying but prospects can have a great deal of trade value because of their financial value to an organization. Getting a great talent at a cheap price for 5 or 6 years is highly coveted. Profar could be one helluva chip in a trade. The talk around here is a package including Profar for either David Price or Stanton with the Marlins. Of course some of that is sports radio fodder but Darvish/Price for the next 3 years?? Very tempting!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
That would be a heck of a 1-2.   Stanton is interesting, and work rake in Arlington, but I think an elite 2b is inherently more valuable than an elite hitting OF, especially give. Stanton's injury history.

I also think Price could be one of the rare instances where Tampa pays, but who knows.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
That would be a heck of a 1-2.   Stanton is interesting, and work rake in Arlington, but I think an elite 2b is inherently more valuable than an elite hitting OF, especially give. Stanton's injury history.

I also think Price could be one of the rare instances where Tampa pays, but who knows.

Profar at second would be great, don't get me wrong but Kinsler is only 30, already locked up for several more years and is really excelling in that lead off role. He's already had two 30/30 seasons. You combine that track record with a solid batting average this year and it just makes it tough for Profar to break into that middle infield. If Kinsler plays to his ability I am every bit as excited with him and Andrus over the next 4 years but then again Profar/Andrus for the next 10 years has a good ring to it as well  ;D The again, if Profar steps in and lights it up his trade value will never be higher.

Although Kinsler will give you the occasional bone head defensive play that just leaves you shaking your head at times  >:(

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
The again, if Profar steps in and lights it up his trade value will never be higher.

I agree with this 100%.   I'm a big believer in a good farm system, but I also believe all prospects suck until they.....don't.   In other words, if they can be traded for established elite talent, you do it.
Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
I agree with this 100%.   I'm a big believer in a good farm system, but I also believe all prospects suck until they.....don't.   In other words, if they can be traded for established elite talent, you do it.

Absolutely.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »
Will Mariano set the save record in his last year at age 43 ??? :o

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:11 AM »

Hopefully he changes he mind and decides to pitch until he's 50.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
Hopefully he changes he mind and decides to pitch until he's 50.

I met Bernie Williams Sunday night...I was out in White Plains and a girlfriend said "Want to go next door.they have an open mic night and he always sits in and plays guitar" I was like "Yeah" and sure enough he was there jamming on his guitar.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »

From what I have heard he's just as dominant as he's ever been. Pretty spectacular.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
From what I have heard he's just as dominant as he's ever been. Pretty spectacular.

I watched every save this year.  His control is still there, and the velocity is holding around 91, but I've seen it amped to 92-93.  Even though it's not at 96 anymore, as long as the pitch is not flat, it's still going to be very difficult to hit.

This video is pretty cool at showing how he does it.

Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »

I watched every save this year.  His control is still there, and the velocity is holding around 91, but I've seen it amped to 92-93.  Even though it's not at 96 anymore, as long as the pitch is not flat, it's still going to be very difficult to hit.

This video is pretty cool at showing how he does it.

Great video. I always wondered how some of these closers can still be successful after losing a good amount of velocity but I suppose with that dynamic cutter action he can still be effective. He almost seems like a knuckleballer in the sense that he could stick around for a few more years because he doesn't necessarily need mid 90's velocity to be effective.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Great video. I always wondered how some of these closers can still be successful after losing a good amount of velocity but I suppose with that dynamic cutter action he can still be effective. He almost seems like a knuckleballer in the sense that he could stick around for a few more years because he doesn't necessarily need mid 90's velocity to be effective.

I think it's a fair statement.

This is not nearly the same for obvious reasons, but I've faced some pitchers in fast pitch softball who could hit their hip on the release, generating side spin that acted like a cutter.  As a lefty, I can recall seeing pitches that looked fat when I swung, but hit right above my hands which produced a weak grounder to second.   That's at 60mph.   At 90+, I can't even imagine it.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2013, 08:34:57 AM »
phightin' phils stinking it up lately, dominic brown 10 homers and 29 rbi's said to be lone bright spot offensively.
F

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »
I think it's a fair statement.

This is not nearly the same for obvious reasons, but I've faced some pitchers in fast pitch softball who could hit their hip on the release, generating side spin that acted like a cutter.  As a lefty, I can recall seeing pitches that looked fat when I swung, but hit right above my hands which produced a weak grounder to second.   That's at 60mph.   At 90+, I can't even imagine it.

Yeah it's a whole nother world at 90 miles per hour. I never knew softball pitchers could create that kind of action to begin with haha but then again I never really played beyond little league :)

Alot of the top closers kinda faltering at this point in the season.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »
Yeah it's a whole nother world at 90 miles per hour. I never knew softball pitchers could create that kind of action to begin with haha but then again I never really played beyond little league :)

Alot of the top closers kinda faltering at this point in the season.

Uncanny that you posted this BEFORE the Yankee tonight.

Y

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:03 AM »
Uncanny that you posted this BEFORE the Yankee tonight.

Cowherd said that was the first time in his career he failed to even get someone out during a save opportunity. Pretty incredible. I don't know what one blown save really does but there was Cy young and "starting the all star game" talk prior to yesterday.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 08:07:35 AM »
Cowherd said that was the first time in his career he failed to even get someone out during a save opportunity. Pretty incredible. I don't know what one blown save really does but there was Cy young and "starting the all star game" talk prior to yesterday.

Cy is a long way off..........

Rivera himself said he would not start the ASG.  He said it is not his job and wouldn't be right.   Guy is awesome.
Y