Author Topic: Stretching  (Read 3149 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Stretching
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »
So I feel like I need to start stretching and my doc agrees. You guys have any tips or links to quick but good stretching routines. Back and shoulders most important.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: Stretching
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:16:55 AM »
one of those things people can never keep up

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
i do yoga 3xweek as a stretching routine...

try a class

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:15:12 AM »
i do yoga 3xweek as a stretching routine...

try a class
yes good advice and i have to admit i only do a few basic stretches and rely mainly on rope jumping and dumbell swings/ab training to warm me up.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
yes good advice and i have to admit i only do a few basic stretches and rely mainly on rope jumping and dumbell swings/ab training to warm me up.

I would NEVER recommend stretching before lifting. Because stretching reduces muscle elasticity doing it before lifting can place more strain on joints, tendons, ligaments.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »
At least I would not recommend static stretching. Dynamic stretching doesn't seem to create the same risks.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
I would NEVER recommend stretching before lifting. Because stretching reduces muscle elasticity doing it before lifting can place more strain on joints, tendons, ligaments.
yes there is a debate about stretching. I used to stretch between sets too. this is a very intresting topic. I must admit i have always retained good flexibility and even cold i can do head kicks. Bill Pearl told me he did not stretch before his workout(he did do abs first and this is where i got the idea). I do think Abs first helps to warm up and although some would not on say leg or back day i disagree because i feel the lower Back and abdominal region is more limber and fluid. I like to do full sit ups on leg day because it warms up my lower back and abdominal region but not to failure.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:26:41 AM »

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Throwing this out there:  A simple approach for BB'ers, because stretching can be very, very boring for most of them. Works for a lot of people. Just a suggest, stretch or don't any way you wish.

Hang from a chinning bar, as you relax the shoulder girdle. Starting with a extra wide to shoulder wide grip, also include a grip close grip (hands touching or near touching..a more natural grip would be a hammer grip...thumbs facing back). Take around 30 seconds, or more, per hold. The secret is relaxing, as in most stretching undertakings. Let gravity do it's thing with this natural method.  As you become adjusted to these hangs, some will do them one hand at a time. Some also, including me, will add weight (belt & chain), which appears to help greatly with my lower back and the whole chain of the spine. Almost like a chiropractor adjustment. Has spinal/disk surgery while in college and the back will stiffen up, on occasion. These hangs seem to help quite a bit.

Lower back/hams/calves:  Place the toes on a 2X4, BB plate, etc.  Clasp the hands together behind the small of the back, keeping the chest high, spine and upper back straight. Bend down, like doing a GoodMorning exercise and hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Come back up and repeat. Do as many reps as you think you need, but always keep the spine/back completely straight throughout the stretch. With the toes raises, you are allowing a fuller stretch to the calves and hams. And should also get a great burn to the areas. Good Luck

Side Bar:   I'm aware of the dynmic-static thing. This debate has been going on for quite a number of years. Giving about 6 months, there will be another White paper that will say that the static position is better. Another 6 months  a new White paper will say that the dynmic approach is better..and on and on and on. Guess that what college and private grant are for. Grants are the mothers mike of any research and educational institution.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:15 PM »
My experience with this is empirical so if you want to call it bro science go ahead. Many studies have shown that static stretching before doing a power movement like sprinting or strength will decrease performance. It is almost universal that you won't see a good sprinter doing static stretching prior to a race. They all do ballistic stretching that most stretching "experts" claim is dangerous. Some studies I have seen say to do dynamic prior to working out and static after you are finished.  So the three basic labels of stretching are dynamic, ballistic and static.

One thing for sure is that in the last 20 years the level of bull shit scientific experts in exercise physiology has just gone through the roof. We have certified personal trainers with a week internet course who are now experts on everything exercise related. Then on the other end you have exercise physiologist and kinesiology who have advanced degrees. Sometimes the best people to look to for answers are those who have been lifting or training in general for decades. Think a guy who has been training without steroids for 20,30,40 or 50 years has answers?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
My experience with this is empirical so if you want to call it bro science go ahead. Many studies have shown that static stretching before doing a power movement like sprinting or strength will decrease performance. It is almost universal that you won't see a good sprinter doing static stretching prior to a race. They all do ballistic stretching that most stretching "experts" claim is dangerous. Some studies I have seen say to do dynamic prior to working out and static after you are finished.  So the three basic labels of stretching are dynamic, ballistic and static.

One thing for sure is that in the last 20 years the level of bull shit scientific experts in exercise physiology has just gone through the roof. We have certified personal trainers with a week internet course who are now experts on everything exercise related. Then on the other end you have exercise physiologist and kinesiology who have advanced degrees. Sometimes the best people to look to for answers are those who have been lifting or training in general for decades. Think a guy who has been training without steroids for 20,30,40 or 50 years has answers?

:)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
Agree with OldTimer1.

Ask, and certainly watch,  veterans of many years good gym experience. That knowledge can be golden. No offense to guy's who have only trained at health spa's, home and usually alone. But nothing can compare to actually hands on experience and the training with other more experienced huge and powerful guy's in a serious gym....nothing at all.

Don't fear asking them questions, you'll get answers you will never get reading those glossy mags, video's or so called training books. And 90% of old gym veterans can be very helpful. And besides all that, some of their gym stories, and the characters they have come in contacted with over the years,  are indeed priceless.

Might also be aware of the self proclaimed expert ass wipes who think they have all the answers to training. Usually have so so bodies and not much matching strength to show for all their advice. Most all think by watching the video's and reading articles they have all the answers. usually little men, with little to offer in regards to training.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 05:02:35 AM »
This reminds me of a saying.."teach an old dog new tricks". Yes progression and learning can be very hard for some "old Dogs" and finding out that their advice which never changes is not correct or now very outdated can be a very bitter pill to swallow. Ask these men of Iron what they have in Qualifications and they avoid the question and they always revert back to "their unparalleled knowledge". learning for me has always been fun and i am always eager to learn from anyone who i think has knowledge that will further my progression. I learned from a woman who competed to in Bodybuilding and who studied sport and we had very qualified people in the Gym. When i did my Fitness trainer certificate which is just a paper true..but you need it here. The people who i learned with were not spotty little kids but guys with training experience which you had to have to do it because they did not teach you Basics but more in depth training and Anatomy. The look of a Gym is not important but the knowledge. This all reminds me of a funny story of a young Guy who came in the Gym and before i trained him i had a private consultation with him. He complained of joint pains and was frustrated with his lack of progress. I liked the guy and took him on the training area and said show me what the last gym showed you..it was very apparent why he had no progress and joint pains. The gym where he was is a Gym run by a "Trainer" who is not qualified and really pushes a lot of nonsense we now know is joint damaging. well the young man started to enjoy his training and was always eager to learn. what is the point to all this? always try and learn and further your education and not the rambling of internet "experts" who offer no progress and very basic advice.Remember they used to say the world was flat and the PIONEERS went against the Grain and were correct. Always strive to better yourself and DONīT FOLLOW OTHERS BLINDLY:: BE A PIONEER  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:35 AM »
When I took anatomy and physiology in college it was a full one year two semester course with a lab. Now certified personal trainers get their anatomy in a hour block of instruction off the internet or in a class room by an instructor who might have been a pizza delivery person 5 months ago. No offense to pizza delivery people.

I'm retired but I want to work in a gym for a little cash. I guess I have to get that certified personal trainer certificate. I guarantee you I will have no pride in that paper and I will be pissed off they have my $500 bucks. I'll make a copy for the gym and use the original to clean the window of my car.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
When I took anatomy and physiology in college it was a full one year two semester course with a lab. Now certified personal trainers get their anatomy in a hour block of instruction off the internet or in a class room by an instructor who might have been a pizza delivery person 5 months ago. No offense to pizza delivery people.

I'm retired but I want to work in a gym for a little cash. I guess I have to get that certified personal trainer certificate. I guarantee you I will have no pride in that paper and I will be pissed off they have my $500 bucks. I'll make a copy for the gym and use the original to clean the window of my car.
you show them all how itīs done.. ;) canīt say how it is in the US but here a trainer certificate takes 6 months and what i learned here Sport und fitnesskaufmann takes 3 years..google it. true there are some bad trainers around but also guys who have years of experience and do it because here you need it to get any work. Itīs the laws here..no certificate..no job. remember one crusty old fart who trained spin biking in the gym and wanted to be a trainer too. thought he knew it all and failed the course..very embarrassing for him. you canīt tar everyone with the same brush. see if you work with some younger people you canīt come over with a bad attitude. I can only say that if you are a good trainer them people see it and you get work. If you come over like an asshole then people will ignore you. Itīs like a Driving licence..you gotta have it. There are guys on here who have a lot of knowledge and maybe would not learn much on the courses but itīs not legal here without qualifications simple as that.. and there are a couple on here who would benefit from learning new things and getting with the times and not living in 1950.. :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
In the US the majority of certified trainer certificates are a one week course taken over the internet or in a setting like a community college. The average price that I have seen is $500.00. I have no idea how they do it in other countries. The only reason gyms need the certificate is because their insurance demands it and so does their lawyers so they can lesson the liability.

Donny if you took a three year course for a personal trainer certificate I can understand your defensiveness and veiled insults. I do and I will put down anyone with a typical one week personal trainer certificate that thinks they know it all.

As far as being old I'm guilty but I can still out run and out lift most guys in their 20's. My 28 year career depended on my physicality.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
not veiled insults at all but you canīt go in a Gym and work with people thinking you are the man. You will be ignored. How long you have trained is not always an immediate guarantee that you are the best. trust me i did know a guy who was like that and he was not liked at all. He tried to be a personal trainer and i watched some of the old stuff he showed..needless to say his career was very short. I like old school too but a wise man will embrace change too. If you do the course then just my tip.. do not come over like you are the Daddy trainer because it will not go down well. do not know where you plan to work but most people i have trained want to get into shape and only a small % will want heavy Bodybuilding type training. Mostly the younger guys who i trained with too. you want the younger trainers to respect you not take the piss out of you behind your back. I believe you are a good guy and know your training inside out but like i said itīs a qualification that you need and if you think itīs just a load of Fluff then fine but it will get you work.. ;) oh and regards to  age iīm 46 and have trained a few years too but i learned a few new things too and i think more knowledge is always better.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 07:09:52 AM »
Donny you don't know me as a person so don't assume I'm a scum bag and I do know how to work with people. I think I am up with the most current trends in exercise. I have a two year degree in physical education that I know is bull shit but it's better than a one week physical trainer certificate that 99% of trainers in the US have. I'm also certified to be a physical trainer at  Police Academies that was partly taught by a PHD in Exercise physiology. She was responsible for going into the main State Police gym and removing all the nautilus machines, squat racks, and bodybuilding equipment. She installed a lot more cardio machines   and multiple station universal type selectorized equipment. The gym stnks now thanks to her and her new up to date exercise mentality.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »
Donny you don't know me as a person so don't assume I'm a scum bag and I do know how to work with people. I think I am up with the most current trends in exercise. I have a two year degree in physical education that I know is bull shit but it's better than a one week physical trainer certificate that 99% of trainers in the US have. I'm also certified to be a physical trainer at  Police Academies that was partly taught by a PHD in Exercise physiology. She was responsible for going into the main State Police gym and removing all the nautilus machines, squat racks, and bodybuilding equipment. She installed a lot more cardio machines   and multiple station universal type selectorized equipment. The gym stnks now thanks to her and her new up to date exercise mentality.
taking it all very personal.. maybe the police were getting worried about the fattening waistlines and thus wanted to play more emphasis on cardio vascular training. Canīt just say all new training is BS. As a cop or Soldier what do you need? some chins,dips,push ups, squat thrusts,Burpees, circuits. Reminds me of a guy in the Army who was a big guy on weights, come an 8 mile run cross country with full fighting order he was like a bag of shit. I see your point and will not cross wires here and i never called you a scum Bag or implied that but i was pointing out you canīt come over like you do if you do not agree with "new trends".