Author Topic: BB Hacks  (Read 2779 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
BB Hacks
« on: December 14, 2005, 06:08:10 AM »
I have been wanting to try this  exercise as my gym doesnt have hack machine.
I tried it today, and ther was minor problems:
1. At the bottom of the rep bar kinda rubs/bounces of back of calves.
2. On way up it kinda bumps of hammies (unless i stick knees/hammies foreward as soon as i start lifting weight up), and bottom of ass.
I feel it quite a bit in lower back, is this normal aswell????

I didnt feel it was working my quads to hard,but i went to do leg press (i lowered the weight from week before) and it was alot harder so my quads must have been pretty tired.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
Re: BB Hacks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:38:37 AM »
Put your feet more in front.

That doesn't seem a big problem. BTW, hacksquat with barbell is oldschool, very oldschool. Haven't seen that for years.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:52:55 AM »
One of favorite exercises are BB Hack squats. Think of them as reverse DL's (with the same general benefits) with the bar held behind you and the focus more on the quads. The 45's will touch the floor each rep, with a slight pause at the bottom position. Working into heavier weight on the bar, the bar will stay in a natural180 degree line and if the hips are inline there should not be any extra stress on the lower back that would cause pain. It's like using a trap/shrug bar (a more natural position/grip for lifting heavy objects off the ground...think of lifting a wheelbarrel), you don't have to over extend the body forward as you mostly have to do with the regular DL( and have to deal with the knee's & shins being in the way). Try keeping the head/neck up a bit & in line. Also look up a little, not down or straight ahead, the body tends to follow the direction of the eyes. Placing a 2X4 or a couple of high edged plates under your heels will throw more influence on the quads and less on the lower back. It can also help with the balance if your not use to the movement.

BB Hacks are one of the better quad exercises, for me anyway. I've always gotten much better results with BB Hacks than regular squats with regards to leg development. I believe some Swedish gentlemen holds the record for Hacks at a little above 800lbs, though I may be wrong. Good Luck.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 08:12:35 AM »
JPM, i'm imagining you have to use a lot less weight than most exercises....

also, would they theoretically work if you have long legs?
:-)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 08:43:05 AM »
Iv got long legs,standing about 6'2.
Thanks guys. I had put 10kg plates on so i could lower down even farther (thought it wouldnt do much harm). I didnt feel too much pressure in back, no discomfort anyway, its just when i start coming up, i know what ur saying about keeping bar in 180 degree line, but as u squat down and slightly lean foreward the bar moves foreward a bit and comes closer to the back of ur legs which is annoying when u start pressing weight up.
Its an exercise i am going to stick with and work on technique at home a bit with old weight bar (no weights on it of course), so next wednesday on leg day il hopefully be a bit better at it.

davie

P.S. legs r feeling knackered no, so im happy.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 10:26:57 AM »
Not anyone exercise will work the same for everyone. The DL, to me, is just annoying to do, that's one of the reasons I prefer BB Hack. And using a trap/shrug bar is also a better option for me. I'm a little over 6'2, 235 with heavy ham & calf development (waist 36, can't buy a pair of jeans off the rack, no leg room...mostly the calf's), the bar will brush these area's at times but nothing of a serious nature. I've used 500-600 for reps in regular workouts, so yes a lot of weight can be used as opposed to lighter weight that most BB'er would prefer.  BB Hacks are a learning exercise like most exercises are. Once the style is mastered (for your body type) it's a pretty rewarding effort for the results you may get. Good Luck.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 11:33:31 AM »
I have a leg day today, i'll give it a shot last in the workout, once i'm all warmed up and stretched out and don't have to worry about going super heavy or anything.
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
BB hacks aren't a winning proposition IMO. Don't hit the thighs nearly as well as a hack machine, are cramped and fairly uncomfortable, and your grip and bent over position limits your lift and leads to pre-exhaustion before it occurs in the legs.

In the absence of hack machines front squats are a better alternative, IMO.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
Barbell Hacks are great.  Have you ever tried Roman Chair squats, those are great too.