Author Topic: Good mornings  (Read 1894 times)

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Good mornings
« on: December 14, 2005, 07:52:58 AM »
I've gotten some conflicting instructions about the correct form for doing these.  Can someone here enlighten me?

The main issue is the range of motion---how far over do I need to bend. I was told by someone in the gym to lean over just until I feel a good stretch in my hamstrings, but some photos I saw, show differently.

Also which is better for me as a runner--these or dead lifts?

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
Re: Good mornings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »
It depends.

I'd avoid rounding the back, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I do them to where my upper body is parallel to the ground.  Some people do them only as far as they can without losing the arch in their back.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »
It depends.

I'd avoid rounding the back, although that isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I do them to where my upper body is parallel to the ground.  Some people do them only as far as they can without losing the arch in their back.

Sorry bro, but that advice is nothing short of a recipe for disaster, and a world of pain down the road :'(  Not sure who or where you got this info, but rounding your back is not a good thing... I can't think of one weight lifting exercise where it is a good thing.  Of coarse if for some weird reason it just gets you off twisting and torturing your vertebra, then by all means arch that back.

"runnerbabe" As for form, parallel is perfect... it's safe and effective... no need to go below parallel on these.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »
You can safely do both arched back and rounded back good mornings.

As for ROM, there's no real need to go lower than parallel. 

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 07:44:32 AM »
I  A G R E E (with Aj) - more like in straight leg deadlift or squat
(I feel) an ALMOST exagerated ached back is the most safe.

Sorry bro, but that advice is nothing short of a recipe for disaster, and a world of pain down the road :'( Not sure who or where you got this info, but rounding your back is not a good thing... I can't think of one weight lifting exercise where it is a good thing. Of coarse if for some weird reason it just gets you off twisting and torturing your vertebra, then by all means arch that back.

More a matter of mechanics

I would  N E V E R  round back on ANY movements
primarily for (long term) back safety.
1 life 1 liver

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:20:16 AM »

Also which is better for me as a runner--these or dead lifts?

Deadlifts really improve hip strength....if you run cross country, trails, or sprint...Deadlifts would help you.  But otherwise, as a girl, i'd stick with GMs.  Deadlifts aren't really necessary unless you're trying to get really big.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:53:05 AM »
Runnerbabe: Depend on what you would expect from either GM'ing or SLDL's.  SLDL's are going to affect the upper posterior chain of muscles more, including the lats, traps,delts, etc. from the simple fact that you are holding a weighted bar. And if you shrug that bar at the top standing position than the upper back & traps will get even more recuitement. You can also get a very good stretch on the lats, back, etc as well on the glutes/hams/calfs. A very large amount of weight can be used on this exercise. It is akin to the regular DL with the same power potentional. If anyone should have bad posture (spine/hip/shoulder girdle misalinement) than this would be a good exercise to practice, including the shrug.

GM'ings are very important for the lower back/ab pivet point between the lower and upper body. There is a different strength curve with the bar being positioned behind the body (on the neck) and the bar held in front of the body (SLDL). GM'ing will have a more focused affect on the lower back & hips (a hinge affect). Of course there is the strong influence on the hams/calves with both movements. If the pressure of the bar bothers anyone than wrap a heavy towel around it. A steady use of GM'ing can help increase the squat and regular DL's of anyone. You can also do GM'ing while sitting on a bench.

As a runner you might consider the SLDL because of it's total body influence. If you were a serious lifter I would suggest doing the GM's. A important point, in either case, is to work the abs just as hard as you would the SLDL or GM'ings. Abs  and the lower back work together and balance each other out for any workload put upon it.  Anyway, it's your choice of GM'ing or SLDL's, whatever you think you gather the most gain from.

In either exercise: Keeping the back straight & flat, try going a little past a parallel position or until you feel a stretch on the hams. Every one is structured in a different way so use the stretched feeling as a general guide.You can allow for a slight bend in the knee's. Do not round the back at any time and try to keep the head up a bit doing the exercise. Might try a wide stance as well as the feet in a closer position for a different angle of stretch. I warm-up before doing either of these movement by having my toes on a 2X4 and allowing for a full stretch. I've also use heavy weight in this style after a full warm-up. Good Luck.

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:32:08 AM »

I do like the general body of JPMs' post - linear, coherent and very detailed

Legs are my *best body part*, as major *bicyclist* for many years . . .
I love doing legs - sadly legs seem an overlooked body part.

I have a history of lower back problems - no longer do traditional deadlifts . . .

I ONLY do SLDL and do them AT THE END of my leg workouts
- To try and squeeze the last little bit out of legs/back/hips
- To really stretch my hamstrings and toast my glutes (awesome stretch)
- ONLY after I am fully warmed-up (I think referenced in JPM post)
- And really focus on the hinge aspect (mentioned)
  almost exaggerating this pivot.

If I go really heavy (usually the case) - I do them only every 2nd or 3rd workout
don't want to strain or ultimately weaken system.

I only do SLDL with dumbells - the mechnics work better for me, than with a bar.

I believe that they have added to the shape and symmetry,
strength and balance of my waist/hip, glute and legs.

I believe that slight bend in knees protects back
1 life 1 liver

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 02:10:16 AM »
Thanks folks-- this was all very helpful. I will switch off a bit to SLDLs and see what happens. I think total body/core stability is probably more key for me right now.   ;D

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 02:37:38 AM »
Thanks folks-- this was all very helpful. I will switch off a bit to SLDLs and see what happens. I think total body/core stability is probably more key for me right now.   ;D

What are your general goals, and what excersises are you currently doing?

You have any particular goal (like a date for a competition)?

Rep ranges?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise