Author Topic: Minimum Wage - Depressing Numbers  (Read 17808 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Minimum Wage - Depressing Numbers
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
People working for shit wages still qualify for public assistance, so the low minimum wages end up costing taxpayers while McDonald's/Wal-Mart stuff their pockets.

Not to mention the people that would be affected by the wage raise don't save any money; they spend it all by their next paycheck.  Yeah, businesses have to pay their workers more, but they're taking more money in too

I'm always surprised to see how many people side with big business and the wealthy, especially when the vast majority of people will never be rich.  I think it's just the American spirit though... we all think we'll be millionaires, even though that's not the case  :-\
maybe its that we just arwnt bitter or angry at the wealthy for having more than we do... I cant speak for anyone elae, but I dont expect to just be given a killer wage for no reason... I earn my way,and just bscause someone has it better or easier than me is no reason to hate him or expdct that he gives me some of what he has... I earn my way. And I seem to be doingnok.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »
maybe its that we just arwnt bitter or angry at the wealthy for having more than we do... I cant speak for anyone elae, but I dont expect to just be given a killer wage for no reason... I earn my way,and just bscause someone has it better or easier than me is no reason to hate him or expdct that he gives me some of what he has... I earn my way. And I seem to be doingnok.

X2.  Losers will always blame the lack of their success on others.  Almost every single one will do this.  "They inherited it" or "If I had their breaks".  Whatever.  True envy is a bitch. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »

I'm always surprised to see how many people side with big business and the wealthy, especially when the vast majority of people will never be rich.  I think it's just the American spirit though... we all think we'll be millionaires, even though that's not the case  :-\

they just hate the thought of a lowly fast worker making nearly as much as them because they worked so hard to earn one or two worthless degrees in college

E
E

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
they just hate the thought of a lowly fast worker making nearly as much as them because they worked so hard to earn one or two worthless degrees in college

E
not that I spent a bunch of money on degrees, but does that sentence actually make sense to you? Why should someonw that can barely punch a button on a register DESERVE to make anywhere near as much as someone who has actually spent time and effort buikding a sklset or learning a trade?

how does anyone possibly justify that?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
Yes it is a shame that mr. High powered executive cant have a Mrecedes, Range Rover AND a Ferrari because those pesky "workers" cant be paid less then 7 dollars and some change.  ::)
yup and its a shame those workers are forced to work those low paying jobs and have no ability to go get a better higer paying one b/c those horrible "executives" chain them to their workstations. ::)

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
People working for shit wages still qualify for public assistance, so the low minimum wages end up costing taxpayers while McDonald's/Wal-Mart stuff their pockets.

Not to mention the people that would be affected by the wage raise don't save any money; they spend it all by their next paycheck.  Yeah, businesses have to pay their workers more, but they're taking more money in too

Social and entitlement programs, the taking of money from one person and giving it to another, is a separate issue entirely. The idea that "You have to pay me more or I'm going on welfare" is a non sequitur. And you're surprised at what? Most businesses are not "big" business and wealthy but why does that matter? Just because someone is wealthy and did well in life they should be coerce into paying more? Should a rich person pay more than a poor person just because "they can afford it"?
Everyone should play by the same rules.

The issue is, whose money is it? If it's yours you should be able to do what you want with it and pay or not pay whatever you decide for whatever good or service you want or need.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »

E

expect nothing less from a steelers fan...

not that I spent a bunch of money on degrees, but does that sentence actually make sense to you? Why should someonw that can barely punch a button on a register DESERVE to make anywhere near as much as someone who has actually spent time and effort buikding a sklset or learning a trade?

Economic Populism...its the underlying priniciple of liberal progressive ideology these days.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »
This isn't a left versus right argument. It's common sense versus abject stupidity. Costs will always be passed down to the consumer. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to impact how many Ferrari's the CEO of Burgerking owns. Instead, the small-business man who owns a franchise will take a hit. 

Businesses do not exist to provide jobs. Businesses exist to make money. Raise the cost of labor and the cost of goods and services will rise accordingly.

Finally, all this minimum wage nonsense misses the bigger picture; Name one minimum wage job that a machine can't do more efficiently and for half the cost?  As technology becomes more sophisticated, there is practically no reason to keep minimum wage work bums on the payroll.

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
This isn't a left versus right argument. It's common sense versus abject stupidity. Costs will always be passed down to the consumer. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to impact how many Ferrari's the CEO of Burgerking owns. Instead, the small-business man who owns a franchise will take a hit.  

Businesses do not exist to provide jobs. Businesses exist to make money. Raise the cost of labor and the cost of goods and services will rise accordingly.

Finally, all this minimum wage nonsense misses the bigger picture; Name one minimum wage job that a machine can't do more efficiently and for half the cost?  As technology becomes more sophisticated, there is practically no reason to keep minimum wage work bums on the payroll.

Agree with everything here accept the claim that there isn't one minimum wage job that a machine can't do. There are countless number of minimum wage jobs that machines can't do. Do we have a robot that can go into a bathroom and clean the sink, toilets and mop the floor? Retrieve shopping carts and help customers with their groceries? I like those greeters at Walmart who cheerfully greet you when you enter the store and answer questions like where products are kept and check bags for receipts to deter shop lifters? Someone has to bag those fries and burgers and hand it to you.

The issue again is whose money is it and who should determine the terms in a transaction between a buyer and a seller? And it is a Left/Right issue because those on the Left support the minimum wage and constantly wants to raise it. The Right believe in less government interference and generally oppose the minimum raise let alone increasing it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2014, 06:34:13 PM »
This isn't a left versus right argument. It's common sense versus abject stupidity.
you pretty much just contradicted yourself....

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

i justify it by thinking people should be allowed to make living especially when mcdonalds can afford it

how does anyone possibly justify thinking a person should just die because they weren't born with the same opportunities as you?

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
expect nothing less from a steelers fan...
Economic Populism...its the underlying priniciple of liberal progressive ideology these days.

hey about dem texans

pre season super bowl favorites, start out 2 - 0

only to lose 14 straight, the worst team in the whole league

i don't waste my time supporting perennial losers, now who's the dummy tony boy?

E
E

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
Some middle class slum lords outed in this thread. Progression can't be stopped regardless of how much fear you have of being outed as unworthy...You have been weighed, measured and found wanting...

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
yup and its a shame those workers are forced to work those low paying jobs and have no ability to go get a better higer paying one b/c those horrible "executives" chain them to their workstations. ::)

You have no concept of the working poor (the new middle class). You don't even try to relate.

I'll put in perspective for you: When you have to work 2-3 jobs making $7/hour just to make ends meet, you do not have a choices. 75% of your time is taken up either at work, getting ready for work or commuting to work. There's no learning a new trade. 85% of your income is taken up by rent + food.

The executives you are referring to are of the same economic class that was OK with child labor, unsafe working conditions, the 7-day workweek, et cetera, until the unions started cracking down on what the government should have been doing. Make no mistake: We are going down that road again.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
i justify it by thinking people should be allowed to make living especially when mcdonalds can afford it

how does anyone possibly justify thinking a person should just die because they weren't born with the same opportunities as you?

E

I'm sure you're doing fine financially. Do you give a homeless person $20 bucks when he asks for money. If no, why not? I'm sure you can afford it. Why should he be allowed to "die" just because he came across bad times. How many jobs have you created? How many people are on your payroll? Why is it someone else responsibility to insure that others can make a good living. So when a teenager applies for McDonald's it is McDonald's responsibility to insure that he is able to make a good living at 16 years old?

Liberals are very generous people -- with other people's money.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
You have no concept of the working poor (the new middle class). You don't even try to relate.

I'll put in perspective for you: When you have to work 2-3 jobs making $7/hour just to make ends meet, you do not have a choices. 75% of your time is taken up either at work, getting ready for work or commuting to work. There's no learning a new trade. 85% of your income is taken up by rent + food.

The executives you are referring to are of the same economic class that was OK with child labor, unsafe working conditions, the 7-day workweek, et cetera, until the unions started cracking down on what the government should have been doing. Make no mistake: We are going down that road again.

What century are you talking about? You think the owners of businesses want to exploit children? When I was a 10 years I was paid a penny a minute to do yard work. I didn't think I was being exploited. It was the only job I could get at the time until I was old enough to get a paper route (damn child labor laws). And I was happy to have that job since my only other alternative was nothing. That's life.

Getting what you get because those are the only choices available is what life is. Nobody, or very few, get exactly what they want. They always want more for less. I buy a Ford because I can't afford a Porche. If someone is still getting minimum wage after six months to a year on the job there is either something wrong with him or he should get another job. Virtually all fast food restaurants start at over the minimum and give raises as time and skill level goes up. Some even get promoted to higher positions. No one works for years in the same job at minimum wage.

Sure, some people have to work several jobs to make ends meet. I was one of them. I worked three jobs seven days a week but during that time I also got an education. It took me nearly eight years to get a college degree. Sure it was a lot harder than for someone who came from a rich family and had his way financed for him. It's unfair that someone else was born with better opportunities than I was. It's one of the things I hate about this world. How unfair it is. But that's how it is. Would it be more "fair" to force someone to pay what you think they should get to make a good living? How much should that be? Can you really make a good living making $15.00 an hour? How about $20/hr? In fact, why don't we start everybody at $50 grand a year. They won't be rich but I think you can living comfortably on that. And what effect will that have on the economy and business?

Again, it's very easy to be generous with other people's money and tell them how much you have determined that they can afford.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »

E
and how much money do you feel constitutes "making a living", lets get down to brass tacks and put a dollar figure on it.

Do you think it should involve having 3 kids?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2014, 07:56:06 PM »

LOL son, I went to school at night while working for both my undergrand and grad school. I did this by making good life decisions, not having children I couldnt afford, not buying shit I couldnt afford and yes taking out student loans for what I couldnt afford.

I have a better idea than most of the interweb libtard progressives including yourself.

Im not special at all, so why should I or anyone else expect anything less from someone else?

The main question is why do liberal progressives have such low standards for these people?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
I'm sure you're doing fine financially. Do you give a homeless person $20 bucks when he asks for money. If no, why not? I'm sure you can afford it. Why should he be allowed to "die" just because he came across bad times. How many jobs have you created? How many people are on your payroll? Why is it someone else responsibility to insure that others can make a good living. So when a teenager applies for McDonald's it is McDonald's responsibility to insure that he is able to make a good living at 16 years old?

Liberals are very generous people -- with other people's money.

i buy them a pizza or fast food, i've given money but i prefer not to because they might spend it on alcohol or drugs, if you think i should give money instead i will consider it, i don't run into the homeless that often because i live in the suburbs

i don't consider myself a liberal, more middle of the road

why is it wrong to want others to make a living?  why do you think the head honchos at mcdonalds aren't rich enough and shouldn't pay the people that work for them? 

i have no idea what your salary is but do you really relate more with a multi millionaire fat cat ceo than a mcdonalds worker?  think about that

E

E

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
hey about dem texans

pre season super bowl favorites, start out 2 - 0

only to lose 14 straight, the worst team in the whole league

i don't waste my time supporting perennial losers, now who's the dummy tony boy?

E
yea yea yuck it up...weve made changes, what have the pissburgh steelers done?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
and how much money do you feel constitutes "making a living", lets get down to brass tacks and put a dollar figure on it.

Do you think it should involve having 3 kids?

i don't know more than the 7 bucks they are making, mcdonalds can easily afford it, if they raise food prices it would be because of greed

i have no sympathy for poor people having multiple kids, that is the dumbest financial mistake a poor person can make

E
E

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
i buy them a pizza or fast food, i've given money but i prefer not to because they might spend it on alcohol or drugs, if you think i should give money instead i will consider it, i don't run into the homeless that often because i live in the suburbs

i don't consider myself a liberal, more middle of the road

why is it wrong to want others to make a living?  why do you think the head honchos at mcdonalds aren't rich enough and shouldn't pay the people that work for them?  

i have no idea what your salary is but do you really relate more with a multi millionaire fat cat ceo than a mcdonalds worker?  think about that

E

again Earl, what dollar amount is "making a living" for you?

what luxuries does that constitute?

you do know that most "poor" ppl live in a decent residence with plenty of room, have multiple tv's with cable, if they have kids they have a gaming system, eat out etc.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »
yea yea yuck it up...weve made changes, what have the pissburgh steelers done?

what changes?  firing the coach?  steelers fired the o line coach that wasn't here for last years 8 - 8 season

a lot of players will be gone, texans will draft david carr's baby brother haha

E
E

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
Greed sucks. Its like how the petrol companies keep raising prices cause of shortages and refinery outages yet post $100 billion profit year over year.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
i don't know more than the 7 bucks they are making, mcdonalds can easily afford it, if they raise food prices it would be because of greed

i have no sympathy for poor people having multiple kids, that is the dumbest financial mistake a poor person can make

E
then you would be really pissed off that the majority of ppl on welfare are single mothers, under 30, with 2+ kids and at most a high school diploma if that....

you see you advocate for paying them a "liveable wage" but cannot say what a liveable wage is. You say you have no sympathy for ppl who have kids they cant afford yet dont realize the same idiots your advocating for are the same idiots you supposedly have no sympathy for......

Education Earl, its a powerful thing