Author Topic: what's the best lift for each major move? (push, pull, legs)  (Read 2495 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
what's the best lift for each major move? (push, pull, legs)
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:16:35 AM »
i gotta go with the following...

legs=squat

push=bench

pull=row

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: what's the best lift for each major move? (push, pull, legs)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:01:51 AM »

legs=squat

push=bench

pull=row
agreed.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

legs=squat

push=bench

pull=row

exactly what id pick.
Standing shoulder press a close second to the bench

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
The best lift is the one that works for you and not anyone else. Thought the big three, of squats, benches and BB rows have developed many, many men over the years.

(Just to note; the legs are a pushing movement. The hams are a pulling movement.  Remembering that a push is moving an object away from the body. Pulling, towards the body. Surprisingly, the DL is a pushing exercise. The upper body is only holding the bar in position, while the legs push away from the floor/ground. Which only confirms the benefit of a semi static hold for building power and muscle mass, giving witness to the huge backs developed by some B'ers & power lifters)

If squats do it for you, than great. They can be a superior exercise .Others find squatting a waste of time, or even a injury potential and prefer leg presses, BB Hacks, etc.Same applied to benches and rows. If not improving, than switch to another major pull & pull exercise. Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
I would put deadlifts under Hip/Hamstring Dominant Exercises meaning the primary mover is your hamstrings,glutes,posterior chain as a whole. also under this comes:
Deadlifts(all variations)
Glute-ham raises
Hyperextensions
pull-throughs
Good mornings
leg curls.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
As we all know the push & pull (along with some ad-ab extension movements) work together, though one can be the prime dominate factor in a selected exercise.. But can't have one without the other. As noted, the DL  and regular squat come with the main thrust/mover, that  being the push. Different foot spacing can make a world of difference in both the Dl & squat. Step ups, Bulgarian squats, lunges, etc call on the hip/glute/hams to a very strong degree. Why athletes include any form of these movements in training. And not so much regular squats, though they can be a basic exercise in some training protocol. Hyper extension's and glute raises also have a part in more serious training.

Being on pretty much equal terms, in regards to a power and mass builder, are dips. The BB overhead press would come in third place. Just a personal view, but have always preferred dips (weighted) over the bench press. For power and mass.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
well actually there is a difference but let me explain...exercises like:
Squat
front squats
split squats
lunges
leg press

these are QUAD dominant exercises meaning.. any exercise where the PRIMARY mover is your Quadriceps such as SQUATS.. the Hamstrings are active too but are not the PRIMARY mover. so therefor there is a difference between HIP/HAMSTRING DOMINANT EXERCISES AND QUAD DOMINANT EXERCISES...nothing to do with foot positions and spacing's.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
Actually foot position/spacing has quite a bit to do with the total thigh, glute, ham and hip ratio of recruitment. With strength and muscle development in mind. Ask any experience BB'er or PL'er.

Squatting and Dl'ing, extra wide to a narrower stance, is based on a good reason, taking into consideration  the body type of the lifter or BB'er. As does working one leg at a time and the extension of that leg forward, or backward, from the body. Example; lunges, step-ups and Bulgarian squats. These will work the hams/glutes to a much higher degree than regular squatting, though the final push off is with the quads. .   Getting the foot position, for which ever body type you may be (short/long trunk or legs, hip/lower back displacement) can be important.   Even raised heels produces another element to total leg involvement, with the hams/glutes at a lower lever of involvement.
 Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »
Please read my above posts and read what Hip/Hamstring dominant exercises are and what the difference is between them and Quad Dominant Exercises. I think i was clear in my explanation..maybe not for you. If there was no Difference people would do Deadlifts for legs and not leg press or squats. Foot position is not a factor in determining which category these exercises fall into. Any trainer i work with knows these Basics. Then again maybe more experienced than you. The topic of heel raises we have went through at least 3 times but just for you i will post a good article again...
http://ditillo2.blogspot.de/2009/10/squat-brooks-kubik.html

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
here is an article that shows a good leg workout and the difference, maybe this is more clear. Note no mention about foot positions but only if the exercise is Quad or Hip/Ham Dominant.
http://tylerenglishblog.com/2012/04/17/the-best-bodybuilding-training-program-in-the-world/

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
We differ in our approach. If you wish to prove a false premise, than please do so. Sometimes trying to mix apples and oranges produces a very bad salad. If you think you 100% correct, than good for you.  We all need our hopes and dreams.

Good Luck
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
We differ in our approach. If you wish to prove a false premise, than please do so. Sometimes trying to mix apples and oranges produces a very bad salad. If you think you 100% correct, than good for you.  We all need our hopes and dreams.

Good Luck
or sour grapes on your part...

Good Luck   
side bar: canīt always be right can you ? maybe you can learn something.

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
There are no 'best' lifts for everyone, only what movements work best for you individually.

My favorites are Chin Ups (pull), Dips (push) ans Squats for legs.

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
There are no 'best' lifts for everyone, only what movements work best for you individually.

My favorites are Chin Ups (pull), Dips (push) ans Squats for legs.

Agree with this, benching started to fuck my shoulders so i switched to dips and then weighted dips....growth started again and my shoulders stopped hurting.

When i was on an abbreviated routine i did chins with and without weight, dips with and without weight and deadlifts.....thats it.

Pulling muscle (biceps and back) taken care of with chins and pushing muscles (tris, shoulders and chest) taken care of with dips....deadlfts for overall strength/mass and some leg involvement.

....most people are overtraining.

C.U.N.T

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 01:41:13 AM »
Agree with this, benching started to fuck my shoulders so i switched to dips and then weighted dips....growth started again and my shoulders stopped hurting.

When i was on an abbreviated routine i did chins with and without weight, dips with and without weight and deadlifts.....thats it.

Pulling muscle (biceps and back) taken care of with chins and pushing muscles (tris, shoulders and chest) taken care of with dips....deadlfts for overall strength/mass and some leg involvement.

....most people are overtraining.

good post

all i do nowadays is squat, db row, weighted push-up, and curl