Author Topic: Not feeling sore/hard time targeting rear delts - what do?  (Read 6289 times)

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
Not feeling sore/hard time targeting rear delts - what do?
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »
Firstly, I don't seem to get any soreness from training anymore unless it's a brutal leg or back workout. Any other body part I feel I could train it the next day heavy again. I do a lot of volume in my training so I'm wondering why the soreness has gone away. Could it be the TRT?

Second, when doing delts, I have a hard time targeting the rear delts. I feel it all in my traps. I do reverse pec deck (don't even like this machine cuz the handles feel awkward) and a lot of sets of db pulls/rows whatever you call em. I feel it in the traps though. Any tips on how to isolate the rear delt? maybe train traps first to pre-exhaust them?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Not feeling sore/hard time targeting rear delts - what do?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »
try face pulls on the cable apparatus and the superset is a good idea. I like pre exhaust. or try the below exercise on an incline bench to hit your rear delts from another angle. lying on the bench as shown ,hands slightly rotated inwards arms 90% and raise your elbows rear ward from this position. itīs a small movement but effective exercise. I do think that if you work hard on Barbell rows and then superset with cable face pulls or the below exercise it maybe will work. your idea with  pre exhaust is in my opinion good..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
Might try one arm DB rows, keeping the elbows inline with the shoulders. Keeping in mind the position of the elbows can help to keep the DB in the correct inline position. Or try the same exercise, doing it as a rear raise, with a slight bend to the elbow (one arm at a time).  If doing these with a BB, have a wider than normal grip on the bar. As with the face down position on a bench, some may find it interferes with the breathing when heavier weight is used. Can also do this exercise on an incline bench, face down of course.

Reverse pec decks will usually help the rear delt head. If using a Pec Deck, where the elbows are resting on pads, more stress/work will be on the delts, than if the hands on way out when gripping handles. Wide grip Hi-pulls also hit the rear delts very well.

Muscle soreness does not always mean that a muscle in not getting enough work or not being worked hard enough. If you keep improving in muscle size and strength, that is the best indicator. You don't have to be sore after every workout. But you do want a feeling that any muscle has been worked well and time in the gym was worth the effort.

Don't see the connection with TRT (test), but anything could be possible.  Good Luck.
F

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »
will give these a try. especially the cable face pull and the high pulley cables.

my delt workout would go like this now for example:

db presses 5 sets
seated military 3-4 sets (until complete failure)
side laterals 5-8 sets (until complete failure)
db/bb shrugs
face pulls
high pulley cable
db rear

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Face pulls are the new trend now. Effective because the elbows, for the most part, are held high throughout the exercise. Some aim towards the jaw, most to eye lever or the forehead. A few to the top , or above, the head. Become more flexible in the shoulder area the more you do this exercise, which allows you to have the arms raised higher.. Might try squeezing the shoulder blades at the contraction of the movement.

This form has been used in rehab centers, for athletes and others, for quite a while. It will strengthen the important rotator cuff and the  traps/back. Actually a good warm-up exercise for most any kind of upper body work. Though can be worked in to a serious BB'ing workout. Try not going to failure with this exercise, really not needed. Or too heavy, not really meant as a prime mass builder, by has value in any type training session. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
will give these a try. especially the cable face pull and the high pulley cables.

my delt workout would go like this now for example:

db presses 5 sets
seated military 3-4 sets (until complete failure)
side laterals 5-8 sets (until complete failure)
db/bb shrugs
face pulls
high pulley cable
db rear
nice volume in there. i use one pressing movement myself but the Dumbbell press hits your Delts more centrally and you can pull your elbows further back, i like a Hammer grip. Looks a good workout and you will get results i am certain. I like training delts 1x a week because the overlap on chest and back Day also train them to a degree but one good solid workout like yours is in my opinion important to directly hit them from every angle.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
Coach insists that soreness is no indication of anything.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
Here's a fairly nifty rear delt exercise that I have done in the past.

It's done with a barbell like a bent over row  except you row into your upper chest neck area. You grip the weight by the plates, not the bar but the actual plate edges themselves. Taking a wide grip on the bar itself will not have the same effect as gripping the actual plates. The grip will be very wide and you will have to go very light, even as low as 50lbs ( 2.5lb plates per side). If you do these properly (and you may not get the hang of them right away), you will have no issue feeling them in your rear delts.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
Here's a fairly nifty rear delt exercise that I have done in the past.

It's done with a barbell like a bent over row  except you row into your upper chest neck area. You grip the weight by the plates, not the bar but the actual plate edges themselves. Taking a wide grip on the bar itself will not have the same effect as gripping the actual plates. The grip will be very wide and you will have to go very light, even as low as 50lbs ( 2.5lb plates per side). If you do these properly (and you may not get the hang of them right away), you will have no issue feeling them in your rear delts.
YEV33 i love you.. nice post. a mix of old school and new. remember seeing steve reeves in a pic doing this but not as you described. Reeves did a Deadlift like this. I like the idea YEV.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
YEV33 i love you.. nice post. a mix of old school and new. remember seeing steve reeves in a pic doing this but not as you described. Reeves did a Deadlift like this. I like the idea YEV.

no homo  ???

;D

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »

Haha, thanks Donny. :)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
There's a pretty easy way to de-emphasize traps when doing bentover DB rear raises;  Round your back.  Normally I'm a big proponent of keeping my back straight or even arched for pretty much all exercises but I when I was watching a clip of Evan Centopani and Jose Raymond doing rear delts, I noticed that both were rounding their backs and it does make a big difference when it comes to hitting rear delts and not mid-back when doing this exercise.

Note:  When I do this exercise I rest my forehead on the top of an incline bench to help me remain bent over with my back rounded.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »
  Most people perform the rear delts with their arms almost completly straight. Following that motion takes tension of the the muscle. Get into the proper position and pull from the elbows outward rather than straight out. It will keep the tension on the muscle alot better and you can handle more wieght.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
There's a pretty easy way to de-emphasize traps when doing bentover DB rear raises;  Round your back.  Normally I'm a big proponent of keeping my back straight or even arched for pretty much all exercises but I when I was watching a clip of Evan Centopani and Jose Raymond doing rear delts, I noticed that both were rounding their backs and it does make a big difference when it comes to hitting rear delts and not mid-back when doing this exercise.

Note:  When I do this exercise I rest my forehead on the top of an incline bench to help me remain bent over with my back rounded.
I do the incline bench thing also but keep my back flat and pull with my elbows bent at 90 deg.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 02:17:08 AM »
this may be the gayest option, but reverse pec deck... the type with the revolving handles instead of the pads, you pretty much dont even need to concentrate on what your doing , just pull back and give a squeeze at the end

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 04:46:47 AM »
this may be the gayest option, but reverse pec deck... the type with the revolving handles instead of the pads, you pretty much dont even need to concentrate on what your doing , just pull back and give a squeeze at the end

I do this but I'm mindful of the weight.  If I go to heavy it's takes off the focus on rear delts.  I usually like to perform a single set of high reps with light weight on the reverse pec deck to get a little blood in the rear delts before I bring the weight up.
A

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
the beauty of the pec deck machine is you can keep constant tension, i like to pause at the begining of each rep and feel the stress/tension, ive always had good rear delts tho

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
Soreness is more an indication of a stretch to which the muscle is not accustomed. So yeah, a stretch does kind of indicate that the muscle has been worked, but it does not ensure it has done anything more than stretch.

Try learning to do the full splits. I guarantee there will be a lot of soreness much of the time, pre and post. Will the quads grow because of this increase (over time) of flexibility?

Doubtful.

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 10:10:07 AM »
You gotta do a lot of row movements. I notice with back, you have to do a lot of sets/volume work.

My front delts grow from pressing movements, rear delts with rowing movements, and the only shoulder exercise that i found very effective, even though light weights are handled is DB delt side raises.

I usually do dropsets right after i finish a pressing movement like OHP, or DB bench press.