Author Topic: RIP Nasser El Sonbaty  (Read 293654 times)

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
Re: Nasser El Sonbaty is dead
« Reply #475 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »

It was a quiet way to go.

bigbobs, was he sick for a long time? Was he in pain during the last few months?

I don't believe he was sick.  He did lose weight towards the end, but indicated he had pretty much stopped lifting with weights completely and had started doing cardio to go for the fitness look.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #476 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
We don't have an official cause of his death.  He took a nap and did not wake up.  As Muslims we bury the dead as soon as possible, often even if it means not investigating the cause.  

From among the whole world's population who lived while I was alive, Nasser single-handedly was by far the most inspirational person I knew of. Eventually we became close friends, and I did not view him so much as the pro bodybuilder anymore but someone I consider myself very lucky to have been friends with.

A few of my better memories of Nasser:

1)  I wrote him a fan-letter in 1996, he wrote back a lengthy letter and included in 8x10.  I met him for the first time three years later in 1999 at a photo-signing.  I gave him my first name to address the photo to and casually mentioned that I wrote him three years ago.  He then asked from what city?  When I told him the name of the city he asked me "Raja?" (my last name).  I was astounded that of the tens of thousands of fans he met he would have remembered the name of a teen who wrote him three years ago.  Many others had similar instances of Nasser remembering their name at various photo signings and wrote to Flex magazine about it.  A few years ago I asked him how he remembered my name?  He said he obviously did not remember all names, but whenever he'd come across what he felt was a touching letter or fan he made it a point to remember them, even though he knew he would probably not see or hear from the person again.

2)  During a calamity I was facing a 4/5 years ago Nasser was extremely supportive.  He literally called me every 4 hours or so to see how I was doing and how I was handling things.  He would tell me to call him any time I needed to talk to someone, even if it was at 3-4 am during his sleep he would wake up to call me or answer my call.

3)  The second of the three times I visited him in SD was with my wife on 2010 NYE.  Since I was travelling with my wife I would be often doing the touristy things in SD and having lone-time with her.  For that reason I booked a rental car so that I would not be depending on Nasser for rides everywhere.  Our flight was to LA and I booked a rental car to drive to SD the evening we arrived and to drive back a week later.  When I told him I had booked a rental car he insisted I cancel it and that he would drive from SD to LA and back to pick me us up from the airport - a 6 hour round drive, followed by another 6 hours upon our return.  I told him no it's alright, and he kept asking me to cancel it, saying that after the flight we'll feel tired and not in the mood to drive during the busy NYE streets, and that he would drive us anywhere we wanted to go during the week in SD as well.  I kept the rental car, but his generosity in insisting several times that I cancel it was very flattering.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to share a few of my experiences with him.

And yes his dogs are being taken care of well by someone close to him in San Diego.

Sherief was at his funeral in Egypt.  Why did Nasser go to Egypt?  I believe God wanted Sherief to get to know him before his time was up.

That was a touching tribute to your friend, thanks for writing it.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #477 on: March 22, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Nice post BOBster

dustin

« Reply #478 on: March 22, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing that with us, Bobs. As much as we love to rip on each other, Nasser was a regular guy to a lot of people and is sorely missed. I'm sure he felt just as blessed to have you fellas in his life as you do his. Stay strong during these times of grief. And thanks again for sharing that tribute. I'm very happy to have read it.

If it helps with your grieving it would be very much appreciated to hear more stories like that. But if it's not your thing then no worries, no offense meant by it. We're all appreciative to hear those insights but if the time is too soon...

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #479 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #480 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
All around type of fella, never got crowned as the #1 BodyBuilder but sure did come across as #1 to a lot of people as a man with respect, integrity, and honesty within the cult of BodyBuilding.

-PIP
#

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #481 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
Good story bob, sucks to lose friends.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #482 on: March 22, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
THANX BOBS  8)...

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #483 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and wishes :)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #484 on: March 22, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
It's confirmed.

"1"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #485 on: March 22, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »

Did someone in Egypt poison him or mess with him?  Napping and never waking up is shady at best

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #486 on: March 22, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Epic using someone's death to show how cool you are being 'on the inside'

LOL.

Wooossshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #487 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Did someone in Egypt poison him or mess with him?  Napping and never waking up is shady at best

All jokes aside, isn't that how Bruce Lee died. Similar story, he went back to his native country (Hong Kong) he took a nap and didnt wake up. Maybe was poisened.
#

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #488 on: March 22, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
Thanks for posting.
What did he die of ?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
seems like alot of bodybuilders i followed from the mid 90,s r either dead or have had to have organ replacements :(, i think when guys r younger they think they r invincable n abuse the drugs bigtime, unfortunately we all got to pay the piper if we go that route
R

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #490 on: March 22, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
wow...

the gh15 thing might be revealed

ukjeff

« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
seems like alot of bodybuilders i followed from the mid 90,s r either dead or have had to have organ replacements , i think when guys r younger they think they r invincable n abuse the drugs bigtime, unfortunately we all got to pay the piper if we go that route
and drug use has escalated massively since the 90s, I wonder how long the current crop are going to last.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #492 on: March 22, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
Rest in Peace Huge Nasser. guy was way to young.  :-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #493 on: March 22, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
The first Flex Magazine I ever picked up had Nasser and Lee training together. Werent they close friends at one point?

X

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #494 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
We don't have an official cause of his death.  He took a nap and did not wake up.  As Muslims we bury the dead as soon as possible, often even if it means not investigating the cause.  

From among the whole world's population who lived while I was alive, Nasser single-handedly was by far the most inspirational person I knew of. Eventually we became close friends, and I did not view him so much as the pro bodybuilder anymore but someone I consider myself very lucky to have been friends with.

My condolences on the loss of a friend.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
they prob were friends, 2 ifbb pros with the intelligence for form full articulate sentences.

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #496 on: March 22, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
Rest in Peace Huge Nasser. guy was way to young.  :-\
It's ok to admit now that he should've won the 97 O  ;D

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
All jokes aside, isn't that how Bruce Lee died. Similar story, he went back to his native country (Hong Kong) he took a nap and didnt wake up. Maybe was poisened.

Take away from this, don't take naps.
A

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »
one of my alltime favs!sad loss!

Anabol

• Getbig II
« Reply #499 on: March 22, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
RIP bro.
Agreed, very sad. Seems like he was extremely nice guy.

Bobs, thanks for sharing stories.