Author Topic: Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker  (Read 2920 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
I never even thought of making them in the slow cooker but I saw the idea in a paleo cookbook

I then did a quick search on the interweb found this link and tried it last night (this can't even be called a recipe)
http://wellnessmama.com/3272/crock-pot-baked-sweet-potatoes/

I took 2 very large sweet potatoes and covered them in water to clean off all the dirt and then took them out of the water and put them in a the slow cooker on low for 6.5 hours

This morning the knife slid right through and there was no leakage of sugars like I get when I make them in the oven

Rudee

• Getbig V
Re: Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
I just peel them, slice them up into pieces, and steam them for 15 minutes.    I don't think I have the patience of waiting 6.5 hours to eat a sweet potato cooked in a slow cooker.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
I just peel them, slice them up into pieces, and steam them for 15 minutes.    I don't think I have the patience of waiting 6.5 hours to eat a sweet potato cooked in a slow cooker.

I can see your point but I make food for a bunch of meals at one time and it was simple to just put them in before I went to bed and wake up and they are done and cooked perfectly.   Much better than when I make them in the oven.  I haven't tried steaming but I might see how that works out too but I don't have a big enough steamer to make enough for multiple meals

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
I can see your point but I make food for a bunch of meals at one time and it was simple to just put them in before I went to bed and wake up and they are done and cooked perfectly.   Much better than when I make them in the oven.  I haven't tried steaming but I might see how that works out too but I don't have a big enough steamer to make enough for multiple meals

I just use a collapsable metal steamer thingy in a medium sized pot.   I use it for steaming all my veggies.  Very quick.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
I just use a collapsable metal steamer thingy in a medium sized pot.   I use it for steaming all my veggies.  Very quick.

when I prepare or re-heat a meal at home I almost always steam it.
I have a saucepan with a steamer insert
I'm just not a fan of cooking in bulk in a steamer but it's one of my favorite ways to cook or reheat a single meal

typical meal would be to steam brocolli for about 5 minutes and then dump in cooked rice (or sweet potato) and diced(cooked chicken) for another two minutes and then dump the whole thing in a bowl and add salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil or macnut oil and a bit of grated pecorino romano.   I do variations of that pretty much every day

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »

I tried this today and it worked great.  I checked at around 10 minutes and they were almost done so I just took them off the heat for the last 5 minutes

Ideally if I can freeze it this will probably be the way I cook sweet potatoes most of the time

keane

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »

i cook the sweet potatos in the oven. 2 hours ar 170 degrees. taste great!!

i have used microwave o by boiling the sweet potatos. its faster but nothing compares in taste when its cooked in the oven.

SpencerN

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
What I like doing is taking japanese sweet potatoes, chop them into ~1/2 an inch potato chip slices then adding some butter and wrap them in tin foil. Then I either BBQ them or bake them enough so that they caramelizes on the bottom with the butter.
YUM YUM  :) :)