Author Topic: US deploys B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea  (Read 4298 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
US deploys B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
Now that's what I call saber rattling.   :)

US deploys B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea
Published March 28, 2013
FoxNews.com

The U.S. military announced Thursday that two B-2 stealth bombers were sent to South Korea to participate in a training exercise, demonstrating the Pentagon's commitment to defend its ally against threats from North Korea.

The two B-2 Spirit bombers flew more than 6,500 miles from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri to South Korea, dropping inert munitions before returning to the U.S., according to a statement released by U.S. Forces Korea.

"The United States is steadfast in its alliance commitment to the defense of the Republic of Korea, to deterring aggression, and to ensuring peace and stability in the region," the statement said.

The B-2 Spirit is capable of delivering both conventional and nuclear weapons. The Pentagon said the mission was part of its ongoing Foal Eagle training exercise series, which began March 1 and ends April 30.

The exercise was announced a day after North Korea said it had shut down a key military hotline usually used to arrange passage for workers and goods through the Demilitarized Zone.

The hotline shutdown follows a torrent of bellicose rhetoric in recent weeks from North Korea, which is angry about annual South Korea-U.S. military drills and U.N. sanctions over its nuclear test last month. North Korea calls the drills rehearsal for an invasion; Seoul and Washington say the training is defensive in nature and that they have no intention of attacking.

North Korea's threats and provocations are seen as efforts to provoke the new government in Seoul, led by President Park Geun-hye, to change its policies toward Pyongyang. North Korea's moves at home to order troops into "combat readiness" are seen as ways to build domestic unity as young leader Kim Jong Un strengthens his military credentials.

North Korea previously cut Red Cross phone and fax hotlines with South Korea, and another communication channel with the U.S.-led U.N. command at the border between the Koreas. Three other telephone hotlines used only to exchange information about air traffic were still operating normally Thursday, according to South Korea's Air Traffic Center.

North Korea said there was no need for communication between the countries in a situation "where a war may break out at any moment."

In Washington, U.S. State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters that North Korea's "latest threat to cut off communication links coupled with its provocative rhetoric is not constructive to ensuring peace and stability on the peninsula."

Although North Korea has vowed nuclear strikes on the U.S., analysts outside the country have seen no proof that North Korean scientists have yet mastered the technology needed to build a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on a missile.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/28/us-deploys-b-2-stealth-bombers-over-south-korea/?test=latestnews

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: US deploys B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:13 AM »
excellent use of resources.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
That plump little dictator might need to stop playing "army" at some point lol

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
That plump little dictator might need to stop playing "army" at some point lol

lol.  Wurd.  Outrageous how he can be fat with all those skinny, hungry people in North Korea.  Typical dictator.   ::)

But we will turn his little army into dust if he sneezes in our direction.  Only thing I'm concerned about are all the troops stationed over there. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
given our levels of technology - and the cost to house 50 to 100k troops for the past sixty years...

I dont understand the need for bases like that over there, with that many troops - who are targets for the NKoreans.

I mean, we can send in planes from carriers or shoot missiles from hundreds of miles away, and blow up anything in that country inside of 2 hours.  That's not even in question.  I just don't understand why we'd have tens of thousands of troops just hanging out for all these years.

I'm fine with nuking his silly ass if needed... I might have already bombed a few factories or blown up a city just to stop him from firing rockets at us.   However, just leaving troops there?  I dont get it.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »
given our levels of technology - and the cost to house 50 to 100k troops for the past sixty years...

I dont understand the need for bases like that over there, with that many troops - who are targets for the NKoreans.

I mean, we can send in planes from carriers or shoot missiles from hundreds of miles away, and blow up anything in that country inside of 2 hours.  That's not even in question.  I just don't understand why we'd have tens of thousands of troops just hanging out for all these years.

I'm fine with nuking his silly ass if needed... I might have already bombed a few factories or blown up a city just to stop him from firing rockets at us.   However, just leaving troops there?  I dont get it.  

This is why:

If NK invades it will result in the death of many US troops, outraging our public and giving them war fever.

That's why they have always been there.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
This is why:
If NK invades it will result in the death of many US troops, outraging our public and giving them war fever.
That's why they have always been there.

Wait...

our troops are only there as human shields for the south koreans?   

that's a very hurtful claim, ozmo. 

Everyone, why is OzmO wrong?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »

Wait...

our troops are only there as human shields for the south koreans?  

that's a very hurtful claim, ozmo.  

Everyone, why is OzmO wrong?

No, you are incorrect in your word usage and your spin attempt.  They are a deterrent.

Human Shield suggests using a person as a shield to prevent yourself from harm during an attack.  

SK is not using them as shields and the American public isn't using them as shields.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »
I would have bombed  NKorea the FIRST time they threatened us and fired rockets in our direction - i believe it was during a shuttle launch on july 4th?   Sheeit, bush and obama have done nothing but pussyfoot around.

If you fire a rocket at me, i'm putting 75 JDAMS into your top 75 govt buildings.  No nuke fallout to send refugees over to piss off china.  Just a nice local lesson.

So I'm no lightweight on Nkorea.   I just don't like the idea of our trooops being there, essentially just waiting for the dictator to say fck it and kill some of them.  It's nuts. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
I would have bombed  NKorea the FIRST time they threatened us and fired rockets in our direction - i believe it was during a shuttle launch on july 4th?   Sheeit, bush and obama have done nothing but pussyfoot around.

If you fire a rocket at me, i'm putting 75 JDAMS into your top 75 govt buildings.  No nuke fallout to send refugees over to piss off china.  Just a nice local lesson.

So I'm no lightweight on Nkorea.   I just don't like the idea of our trooops being there, essentially just waiting for the dictator to say fck it and kill some of them.  It's nuts. 

its actually really smart.

-  We keep a military presence in the area allowing us to respond to regional threats
-  We deter NK from invading SK, which they believe is their right
-  We hinder the expansion of communism/dictatorship

One thing no one ever seems to consider:  The last thing a dictator wants to do is risk losing their power.  None seemed to understand that sucker's pitch with Iraq as well.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
its actually really smart.

-  We keep a military presence in the area allowing us to respond to regional threats
-  We deter NK from invading SK, which they believe is their right
-  We hinder the expansion of communism/dictatorship

One thing no one ever seems to consider:  The last thing a dictator wants to do is risk losing their power.  None seemed to understand that sucker's pitch with Iraq as well.

I guess.  But what has been the cost of housing 50k to 100k troops in a nation for 60+ years? 

I mean, we have 15 trillion in debt.  Can we afford that shit?  How much $ is S Korea chipping in?  Or do we do the "here's a hundred thousand bodyguards for 60 years" act for free?   LOL

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
If the DPRK emplodes the humanitarian crisis will be enormous. It will dominate the news for months..no gay marriage bullshit no gun talk no nothing. Its obvious that this may well be the last gasp for them as either the military is calling the shots over the current leader or they both broke and out of food. There is no country capable of logistically supporting the crisis in the North but us...and we're broke. This won't end well. I've spent an enormous amount of time in South Korea and watching prep for this.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
maybe this is inhumane and all that... but why not pull out the US troops and let whatever happens, happen?

it might be a mess, there will be other nations (in better financial shape) stepping up to capitalize....  And in the end, someone else will exploit the situation for their own goals instead of us... but isn't that a better option than borrowing another 2 trillion from China to fund some crazy "reconstruction" effort in that area?

I mean, at some point, you realize you're 15 trillion in the hole... and you STOP expansion projects, right?

Even donald Trump said we shoudln't be spending hundreds of billion each year to be there -
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/apr/01/donald-trump/donald-trump-says-south-korea-doesnt-pay-us-troop-/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
Even donald Trump said we shoudln't be spending hundreds of billion each year to be there -
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/apr/01/donald-trump/donald-trump-says-south-korea-doesnt-pay-us-troop-/

and Trump - fcking clueless NBC employee lifetime liberal until 2008 Donald Trump... HE WAS THE GOP FRONTRUNNER!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »
If the DPRK emplodes the humanitarian crisis will be enormous. It will dominate the news for months..no gay marriage bullshit no gun talk no nothing. Its obvious that this may well be the last gasp for them as either the military is calling the shots over the current leader or they both broke and out of food. There is no country capable of logistically supporting the crisis in the North but us...and we're broke. This won't end well. I've spent an enormous amount of time in South Korea and watching prep for this.

Agree.  Would definitely not end well if they do something stupid. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 05:32:16 AM »
maybe this is inhumane and all that... but why not pull out the US troops and let whatever happens, happen?

it might be a mess, there will be other nations (in better financial shape) stepping up to capitalize....  And in the end, someone else will exploit the situation for their own goals instead of us... but isn't that a better option than borrowing another 2 trillion from China to fund some crazy "reconstruction" effort in that area?

I mean, at some point, you realize you're 15 trillion in the hole... and you STOP expansion projects, right?

Because we have an agreement with the South Koreans, we pack up and leave with little warning and that will tarnish our ability to act abroad and deal with other nations through not only war but peaceful means.

It's not that simple.

And who said we will be borrowing the money from China? China holds very little of our outstanding debt, it will probably be the Fed printing of another couple trillion for the effort.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Because we have an agreement with the South Koreans, we pack up and leave with little warning and that will tarnish our ability to act abroad and deal with other nations through not only war but peaceful means.

It's not that simple.

And who said we will be borrowing the money from China? China holds very little of our outstanding debt, it will probably be the Fed printing of another couple trillion for the effort.

we renew that agreement every 3-5 years.   So we *could* have ended arrangement anytime in the last 60 years.  We didn't want to.    If we wanted, there could have been a nice withdrawl plan over a decade.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
This won't end well.

QFT again.

"Back in 1984, the U.S. prepared a campaign plan that would have made possible the destruction of the entire North Korean air force in 100 hours. Retired U.S. Air Force generals say the military could do it even faster today."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/29/what-kind-attack-could-north-korea-launch/

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
QFT again.

"Back in 1984, the U.S. prepared a campaign plan that would have made possible the destruction of the entire North Korean air force in 100 hours. Retired U.S. Air Force generals say the military could do it even faster today."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/29/what-kind-attack-could-north-korea-launch/

It's not their air force, it's the 20,000 or so artillery pieces in hardened bunkers in range of Seoul that is a problem. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
I guess.  But what has been the cost of housing 50k to 100k troops in a nation for 60+ years? 

I mean, we have 15 trillion in debt.  Can we afford that shit?  How much $ is S Korea chipping in?  Or do we do the "here's a hundred thousand bodyguards for 60 years" act for free?   LOL

South Korea is emerging as one of the most powerful economies and technologically-advanced societies on the planet. It's in our best interest to remain buddy-buddy with them.

You really don't think anything through, do you, genius? It's always funny watching you play armchair quarterback.

We'd be much better off giving the middle finger to Europe and pulling all of our troops out of that dying continent than pulling them out of South Korea, who will be much more strategically important in the coming years.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »
Saw a B2 once circling over Long Island Sound.  Probably the most awesome and intimidating thing in the air i have ever seen. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
By Courtney Kube and Ian Johnston, NBC News

North Korea put its rocket units on standby Friday to attack U.S. military bases in South Korea and the Pacific, after repeated threats one day after two American stealth bombers flew over the Korean Peninsula in a military exercise.

A U.S. official warned that the isolated communist state is “not a paper tiger” and its reaction should not be dismissed as “pure bluster.”

According to South Korea's news agency, Yonhap, North Korea announced Saturday that it had entered a state of war against South Korea. "In a special statement, the North said it will deal with every inter-Korean issue in a wartime manner," Yonhap reported. NBC News could not immediately confirm.

The two Koreas have been in a technical state of war because their 1950-53 conflict ended under an armistice and not a peace treaty.

NBC's Andrea Mitchell examines North Korea's brewing threats and what they mean for neighboring South Korea.

According to North Korea's official KCNA news agency, the country's leader Kim Jong Un “judged the time has come to settle accounts with the U.S. imperialists in view of the prevailing situation” at a midnight meeting of top generals, Reuters reported.

The latest threats come one day after two nuclear-capable stealth bombers flew from Missouri to drop inert munitions on a range in South Korea as part of a major military exercise.

The U.S. official emphasized the danger posed by North Korea’s military and the unpredictable nature of its 30-year-old leader.

“North Korea is not a paper tiger so it wouldn't be smart to dismiss its provocative behavior as pure bluster. What's not clear right now is how much risk Kim Jong Un is willing to run to show the world and domestic elites that he's a tough guy,” said the official, who asked not to be named. “His inexperience is certain -- his wisdom is still very much in question.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a mass demonstration in support of Kim involving tens of thousands of people in the main square of North Korean capital Pyongyang Friday, The Associated Press reported.

Placards read "Let's crush the puppet traitor group" and "Let's rip the puppet traitors to death!"

'War for national liberation'
The state-controlled KCNA also published an article that said the “opportunity for peacefully settling the DPRK-U.S. relations is no longer available as the U.S. opted for staking its fate. Consequently, there remains only the settlement of accounts by a physical means.” DPRK stands for Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, the North's official name.

“A battle to be fought by the DPRK against the U.S. will become a war for national liberation to defend the sovereignty and dignity of the country and, at the same time, a revolutionary war to defend the human cause of independence and the justice of the international community,” the article by “news analyst” Minju Joson said.

South Korea’s Yonhap news agency quoted a South Korean military official as saying that there had been “increased movement of vehicles and forces” at missile launch sites in the North. “We are closely watching possibilities of missile launches,” the unnamed official said.

North Korea routinely issues hostile statements but analysts have noted recent remarks have become more belligerent. In December, the North carried out a long-range rocket test and then detonated a nuclear bomb in a test earlier this year.

At a daily news briefing Friday, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said China was calling for an easing of tensions.

But some fear the situation could be getting out of control.

North Korea's young leader Kim Jong-un has issued almost daily threats, including the threat of nuclear strikes on Washington, D.C., and Seoul. In addition, Pyongyang has put its troops on combat readiness, warning that war "may break out at any moment." NBC's Ian Williams reports.

"It seems that Kim Jong Un is in the driving seat of a train that has been taken on a joyride," Lee Min-yong, an expert on North Korea at Sookmyung Women's University in Seoul, told Reuters.

Russia, meanwhile, appeared to criticize the U.S. over Thursday's bomber mission.

"We are concerned that alongside the adequate, collective reaction of the U.N. Security Council, unilateral action is being taken around North Korea that is increasing military activity," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters in Moscow, according to Reuters.

"The situation could simply get out of control; it is slipping toward the spiral of a vicious cycle," he said.

Reuters contributed to this report.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
Saw a B2 once circling over Long Island Sound.  Probably the most awesome and intimidating thing in the air i have ever seen. 

i've never seen one, but wow they look totally badass in the youtube clips from air shows... 

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
They have one in the Wright-Pat Museum in Dayton, OH

You can reach up and touch part of the wing.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:05 AM »
South Korea is emerging as one of the most powerful economies and technologically-advanced societies on the planet. It's in our best interest to remain buddy-buddy with them.

You really don't think anything through, do you, genius? It's always funny watching you play armchair quarterback.

We'd be much better off giving the middle finger to Europe and pulling all of our troops out of that dying continent than pulling them out of South Korea, who will be much more strategically important in the coming years.

Yes. You need strong strategic partners in various parts of the world. South Korea fits perfectly. You completely disengage and, in time, South Korea's ties to the U.S. wither and they fall under another sphere of influence.