Author Topic: Federal judge rules morning-after pill must be available for women of all ages  (Read 16245 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
It's medical treatment.  I'm an atheist.  Are you seriously asking what a pregnant 13 year old would have to deal with emotionally?  How about a kid getting pregnant and having to make serious adult choices about her life.  You don't have kids.  Cats don't count

That's about her having sex. I completely understand a parent wanting to know if their child is sexually active, ...however, if she has access to the morning after pill, getting pregnant won't be an issue that she would have to deal with emotionally. I don't have cats.

There's a big difference between wanting to know, ..and having the right to know. And if you desire to be notified, I'd say that depends entirely on the relationship you establish with your child BEFORE she winds up in a situation where she requires emergency contraception. If you do your job as a parent properly, you WILL be notified... BY YOUR CHILD and would have no need to leave it up to the state to effect a situation your failure brings about.

Do you demand to know if your son purchases condoms?
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
How's this for straight talk...  Stop being a useless dick by attempting to subvert the thread off topic in order to attack a poster.  >:(

What's a matter Jags?  CAN'T HANDLE THE FUCKING TRUTH????????????????????????????

Try living in reality.

Owning you is too easy.

Its pretty sad too that you have digressed to name calling and pointing out spelling errors instead of supporting your pathetic arguments,

Maybe its a sign that you really don't have any real arguments.

Maybe Monsanto controls you.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
That's about her having sex. I completely understand a parent wanting to know if their child is sexually active, ...however, if she has access to the morning after pill, getting pregnant won't be an issue that she would have to deal with emotionally. I don't have cats.

There's a big difference between wanting to know, ..and having the right to know. And if you desire to be notified, I'd say that depends entirely on the relationship you establish with your child BEFORE she winds up in a situation where she requires emergency contraception. If you do your job as a parent properly, you WILL be notified... BY YOUR CHILDand would have no need to leave it up to the state to effect a situation your failure brings about.

Condoms aren't a medication. Condoms are not used to treat a medical condition.  As the father of a minor it is my responsibility and right to be made aware of any medical treatment given to my child.  As I said before, the morning after pill should not be sold over the counter to anyone under the age of consent.  The law is established, the guidelines are clear.

A

bears

• Getbig IV
What's to deal with on an emotional level? She's not having an abortion... she's preventing conception.

Are you Catholic or something?  I think even Pope John Paul II came out in favour of contraception.

seriously?  your post about a 13 year old getting pregnant and having to take a pill to prevent conception is

"What's to deal with on an emotional level? She's not having an abortion... "

dude come on.

24KT

• Getbig V
Condoms aren't a medication. Condoms are not used to treat a medical condition.  As the father of a minor it is my responsibility and right to be made aware of any medical treatment given to my child.  As I said before, the morning after pill should not be sold over the counter to anyone under the age of consent.  The law is established, the guidelines are clear.

I understand where you're coming from, and I have to admit, I would want to be notified as well, however, as I said, want to know, and having the right to know are two different things. I think prohibiting it's sale could lead to far more unwanted pregnancies and far more abortions, ...and far more emotional things to deal with that could be precluded by simple availability of emergency contraception.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
seriously?  your post about a 13 year old getting pregnant and having to take a pill to prevent conception is

"What's to deal with on an emotional level? She's not having an abortion... "

dude come on.

She's not pregnant YET, ...but taking a MAP could prevent a pregnancy.

...and I'm a dudette.  :)
w

bears

• Getbig IV

There's a big difference between wanting to know, ..and having the right to know. And if you desire to be notified, I'd say that depends entirely on the relationship you establish with your child BEFORE she winds up in a situation where she requires emergency contraception. If you do your job as a parent properly, you WILL be notified... BY YOUR CHILD and would have no need to leave it up to the state to effect a situation your failure brings about.

fair enough point.  i'll give you that.  i WANT to know if my son buys rubbers.  i think i have a right to know if my daughter is taking an overdose of progestin to prevent conception.  i want to be part of that decision

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
I understand where you're coming from, and I have to admit, I would want to be notified as well, however, as I said, want to know, and having the right to know are two different things. I think prohibiting it's sale could lead to far more unwanted pregnancies and far more abortions, ...and far more emotional things to deal with that could be precluded by simple availability of emergency contraception.

I think there is enough wrong with an underage girl being pregnant that facilitates someone being notified.  A doctor and a teacher are required by law to report any indication of potential abuse to the authorities for the safety and well being of the child.  The implications of an underage kid walking into a drug store looking for the morning after pill is more than enough reason for somebody in authority to be made aware.
A

bears

• Getbig IV
She's not pregnant YET, ...but taking a MAP could prevent a pregnancy.

...and I'm a dudette.  :)

and i'm sorry but as an adult.  if a 13 year old comes to me and tells me shes pregnant, i'm most probably going to tell her parents.  i'm not going to just point her in the direction of a MAP and wish her good luck.  you're defending an ideology you've been brainwashed to defend at any cost. thats why you see no problem with a pregnant 13 year old.

24KT

• Getbig V
and i'm sorry but as an adult.  if a 13 year old comes to me and tells me shes pregnant, i'm most probably going to tell her parents.  i'm not going to just point her in the direction of a MAP and wish her good luck.  you're defending an ideology you've been brainwashed to defend at any cost. thats why you see no problem with a pregnant 13 year old.

I haven't been brainwashed to defend anything and  I do see a problem with a pregnant 13 yr old, ...however,
having been a 13 yr old girl, and having had far more access to the mind of 13 yr old girls who come up pregnant, it is my belief that a 13 yr old SHOULD have access to a MAP.

I'm speaking to you from a female perspective, ...not that of a male parent.

...or maybe I'm just overly biased and emotional after having discovered I'm about to become a grandmother for the 2nd time.  :'(
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
I haven't been brainwashed to defend anything and  I do see a problem with a pregnant 13 yr old, ...however,
having been a 13 yr old girl, and having had far more access to the mind of 13 yr old girls who come up pregnant, it is my belief that a 13 yr old SHOULD have access to a MAP.

...or maybe I'm just overly biased and emotional after having discovered I'm about to become a grandmother for the 2nd time.  :'(

No one is trying to deny anyone anything. I also don't appreciate the sexism. 
A

bears

• Getbig IV

you said that there is no reason to be worried about the emotional damage a 13 year old may experience if they have to go get a MAP and prevent a pregnancy.  enough said.  put down the fucking shovel grandma.

bears

• Getbig IV
What's to deal with on an emotional level? She's not having an abortion... she's preventing conception.

Are you Catholic or something?  I think even Pope John Paul II came out in favour of contraception.

idiot.  sorry.  but......idiot

24KT

• Getbig V
No one is trying to deny anyone anything. I also don't appreciate the sexism. 

Sorry. I don't mean to be sexist, ...but I do believe there are different perspectives at play.
w

bears

• Getbig IV
Sorry. I don't mean to be sexist, ...but I do believe there are different perspectives at play.

there shouldn't be different perspectives as to the concern that there may be some emotional baggage from a 13 year old having a pregnancy scare.  dude.  she's fucking 13!!!  worst........grandma.... .....ever.

24KT

• Getbig V
idiot.  sorry.  but......idiot

LOL, ...ya, I gotta admit that was a pretty stupid, and inarticulate response.  ;D

I was thinking about the emotional baggage that comes with having to decide between abortion, carrying to term, adoption, raising a child etc.,
w

bears

• Getbig IV
LOL, ...ya, I gotta admit that was a pretty stupid, and inarticulate response.  ;D

I was thinking about the emotional baggage that comes with having to decide between abortion, carrying to term, adoption, raising a child etc.,

ok.  maybe you forgot we were talking about a 13 year old.  sorry.

24KT

• Getbig V
there shouldn't be different perspectives as to the concern that there may be some emotional baggage from a 13 year old having a pregnancy scare.  dude.  she's fucking 13!!!  worst........grandma.... .....ever.

The ideal emotional baggage from a pregnancy scare at 13 ...is that she inserts a quarter between her knees, presses so hard, and never releases it, until her honeymooon. There'll be the imprint of the Queen on her right knee, and a moose on her left. {sigh} if only. 

And I'm a fantastic grandma. My daughters from other mothers are 24 & 21. I'm not so worried about the 24 yr old. She's got a great head on her shoulders, is in a stable loving 7 yr relationship with a good man, and she's financially very well secured. ...and she's given me a gorgeous little grand daughter.  The 21 yr old however... OY! What a wild child!!!  :o
w

bears

• Getbig IV
The ideal emotional baggage from a pregnancy scare at 13 ...is that she inserts a quarter between her knees, presses so hard, and never releases it, until her honeymooon. There'll be the imprint of the Queen on her right knee, and a moose on her left. {sigh} if only. 

And I'm a fantastic grandma. My daughters from other mothers are 24 & 21. I'm not so worried about the 24 yr old. She's got a great head on her shoulders, is in a stable loving 7 yr relationship with a good man, and she's financially very well secured. ...and she's given me a gorgeous little grand daughter.  The 21 yr old however... OY! What a wild child!!!  :o

my biggest worry when i was 13 was algebra.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
If you do your job as a parent properly, you WILL be notified... BY YOUR CHILD and would have no need to leave it up to the state to effect a situation your failure brings about.

Pretty judgmental.  And wrong.  I know lots of parents who are good parents with kids who do stupid things.  Kids don't always talk to their parents.  And they are extremely reluctant to volunteer bad information to their parents.  

Teenagers do some pretty dumb stuff.  It's part of the growing and maturing process.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I think there is enough wrong with an underage girl being pregnant that facilitates someone being notified.  A doctor and a teacher are required by law to report any indication of potential abuse to the authorities for the safety and well being of the child.  The implications of an underage kid walking into a drug store looking for the morning after pill is more than enough reason for somebody in authority to be made aware.

Agree.

24KT

• Getbig V
my biggest worry when i was 13 was algebra.

I knew many girls that were pregnant at 13. They will tell their friends before they told their parents.

By the time they got around to telling their parents, ...or more accurately, by the time their parents discovered, all choices decisions were out of everyone's hands, ...especially in the case of one particular girl.

I can't help but think how much differently her life could have turned out had she had a MAP then.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
Pretty judgmental.  And wrong.  

Perhaps    :-\

I know lots of parents who are good parents with kids who do stupid things.  Kids don't always talk to their parents.  And they are extremely reluctant to volunteer bad information to their parents.

Agreed. That's why I think it is so important that a teen who wishes to prevent conception be allowed to do so in a time-sensitive situation.  The reluctance to volunteer information to parents, or to have information disclosed to parents can have life changing ramifications on a child's future.

Teenagers do some pretty dumb stuff.  It's part of the growing and maturing process.  

Yep. Even adults do some pretty dumb stuff.
w

bears

• Getbig IV
I knew many girls that were pregnant at 13. They will tell their friends before they told their parents.

By the time they got around to telling their parents, ...or more accurately, by the time their parents discovered, all choices decisions were out of everyone's hands, ...especially in the case of one particular girl.

I can't help but think how much differently her life could have turned out had she had a MAP then.

no one is arguing the convenience of MAP's or abortions for that matter.  yes they temporarily solve a problem.  bottom line is that girl, pregnancy or no pregnancy, was having sex at 13 fucking years old.  and i highly doubt the first time she had sex she got pregnant.  her problems were just beginning.  a MAP would have been a band aid for a while but come on.  her life was going to be fucked from the get go.  and if she had an abortion, she would probably just have had more abortions later on.  almost 40% of abortions are repeat abortions.  we dont use it as a last resort.  we use it as a form of birth control.  which is exactly what the liberals in the 1970's swore up and down abortion would not turn into.

i couldn't even conceptualize a sex life at 13.  and i wasn't a prude either.  my point is that her problem was not that she didn't have access to MAPS for christs sake.  a 13 year old is a baby.

24KT

• Getbig V
no one is arguing the convenience of MAP's or abortions for that matter.  yes they temporarily solve a problem.  bottom line is that girl, pregnancy or no pregnancy, was having sex at 13 fucking years old.  and i highly doubt the first time she had sex she got pregnant.  her problems were just beginning.  a MAP would have been a band aid for a while but come on.  her life was going to be fucked from the get go.  and if she had an abortion, she would probably just have had more abortions later on.  almost 40% of abortions are repeat abortions.  we dont use it as a last resort.  we use it as a form of birth control.  which is exactly what the liberals in the 1970's swore up and down abortion would not turn into.

i couldn't even conceptualize a sex life at 13.  and i wasn't a prude either.  my point is that her problem was not that she didn't have access to MAPS for christs sake.  a 13 year old is a baby.

Actually, as a matter of fact, ...it WAS her first time having sex. And without putting all her business out there, I can't think of a more perfect scenario for the necessity of a MAP. The MAP was tailor made for her situation. However, because they weren't around then, she ended up dropping out of school in the 9th grade. Her older sister died in a car accident a few years later, and everyone passed the child off as her sister's child that she was raising. To this very day she will still not admit to having had a child out of wedlock, and the charade is still going on. Despite having married and having subsequent children with her husband, she still calls her daughter her niece, and her daughter thinks her half-sisters are her cousins. I fear what will happen when her daughter finds out the truth. A lie like that cannot live forever, ...especially when so many people know the truth. The truth always comes out in the end.  :'(
w