Author Topic: Federal judge rules morning-after pill must be available for women of all ages  (Read 16087 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
its not irrelevant according to the law.
What law says its illegal for two 15 year olds to have sex with each other?  ???

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
this is GREAT NEWS, especially for all those abstinent fundie teens in red states who keep getting pregnant

Lol

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Justice Department is appealing a judge's decision lifting all age limits on the Plan B morning-afer birth control pill and a cheaper generic.

The federal government says the judge who issued the ruling had exceeded his authority and that his decision should be suspended while the appeal is underway.

U.S. District Judge Edward Korman of New York had given the Food and Drug Administration until Monday to lift all age limits on Plan B and cheaper generic. The judge mandated that emergency contraception be sold just like aspirin.

On Tuesday, the FDA said anyone 15 or older could begin buying one brand, Plan B One-Step, without a prescription - two years younger than the current age limit of 17.

© 2013 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
greater access to morning after pill = less abortions

does anyone disagree with that speculative outcome?

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.

They feel preventing implantation is an abortion.

I'm what used to be called a conservative. Someone who wants the smallest govt functionally possible and feels the free market will correct itself if everyone is playing on a level field.

The far right wants a govt small enough to fit in a woman's vagina and plug a man's asshole. :) They're fundamentalists intent upon imposing a literal interpretation of The Bible upon us through legislation.

We're a culture that over-corrects so things will get a lot worse before any improvement is seen. :)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I'm what used to be called a conservative. Someone who wants the smallest govt functionally possible and feels the free market will correct itself if everyone is playing on a level field.

The far right wants a govt small enough to fit in a woman's vagina and plug a man's asshole. :) They're fundamentalists intent upon imposing a literal interpretation of The Bible upon us through legislation.

We're a culture that over-corrects so things will get a lot worse before any improvement is seen. :)

;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

bears

• Getbig IV

you see there's the disconnect that I see with hard left pro choice people.  this is a very common argument for the MAP.  but haven't you been telling us for the past 20 years that there's nothing wrong with abortion?  So i ask you.  Why's that a good thing?  What's wrong with abortion?

drkaje

• Getbig V
you see there's the disconnect that I see with hard left pro choice people.  this is a very common argument for the MAP.  but haven't you been telling us for the past 20 years that there's nothing wrong with abortion?  So i ask you.  Why's that a good thing?  What's wrong with abortion?

I've also never quite figured out why all those "dirty Arabs" they want to kill aren't considered Very Late Term Abortions. :)

chadstallion

• Getbig IV

nothing's wrong with abortion; what's wrong are all the kids born and then no one around to look after them.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

I know some brain dead fundies believe that but I was just talking about non-morons who are against abortion

If someone is against abortion then they should  be for the morning after pill since less unwanted pregnancies = less abortions

drkaje

• Getbig V
I know some brain dead fundies believe that but I was just talking about non-morons who are against abortion

If someone is against abortion then they should  be for the morning after pill since less unwanted pregnancies = less abortions

They should be on a registry so women could drop unwanted children off at their houses.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

That is simply priceless!!!  ;D
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
That is simply priceless!!!  ;D

Feel free to use it as your own. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Feel free to use it as your own. :)

Oh no dear. I will take credit only for recognizing the humour & wit of the comment,
but I won't take credit for the crude vulgarity. That's all yours.  ;D
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
Oh no dear. I will take credit only for recognizing the humour & wit of the comment,
but I won't take credit for the crude vulgarity. That's all yours.  ;D

"Crude vulgarity"?!

My explanation was beautiful!  :P

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
The president talking out of both sides of his mouth.  Imagine that. 

Obama Reverses Course, Agrees to Comply with NY Morning-after Pill Ruling
Monday, 10 Jun 2013
By Newsmax Wires

The federal government on Monday told a judge it will reverse course and take steps to comply with his order to allow girls of any age to buy emergency contraception without prescriptions.

But the decision isn't likely to end President Barack Obama's troubles with the issue, as anti-abortion advocates are certain to be unhappy with the reversal.

The Department of Justice, in the latest development in a complex back-and-forth over access to the morning-after pill, notified U.S. District Judge Edward Korman it will submit a plan for compliance. If he approves it, the department will drop its appeal of his April ruling.

Last week, the appeals court dealt the government a setback by saying it would immediately permit unrestricted sales of the two-pill version of the emergency contraception until the appeal was decided. That order was met with praise from advocates for girls' and women's rights and with scorn from social conservatives and other opponents, who argue the drug's availability takes away the rights of parents of girls who could get it without their permission.

The government had appealed the judge's underlying April 5 ruling, which ordered emergency contraceptives based on the hormone levonorgestrel be made available without a prescription, over the counter and without point-of-sale or age restrictions.

It asked the judge to suspend the effect of that ruling until the appeals court could decide the case. But the judge declined, saying the government's decision to restrict sales of the morning-after pill was "politically motivated, scientifically unjustified and contrary to agency precedent." He also said there was no basis to deny the request to make the drugs widely available.

The government had argued that "substantial market confusion" could result if the judge's ruling were enforced while appeals were pending, only to be later overturned.

It appears the Justice Department has decided it might lose with the appeals court and then would have to decide whether to appeal to the Supreme Court, The New York Times noted. "That would drastically elevate the debate over the politically delicate issue for Mr. Obama," The Times said.

Anti-abortion advocates are likely to be angered by the decision. They are opposed to allowing young girls to obtain the drug without a parent's or guardian's OK.

Obama can expect to see a renewed political debate on the issues at a time when his administration already is beset with multiple scandals and controversies, The Times noted. The president, who has two young daughters, said last year he felt uncomfortable with the idea of them being able to obtain the drug without a prescription.

The morning-after pill contains a higher dose of the female hormone progestin than is in regular birth control pills. Taking it within 72 hours of rape, condom failure or just forgetting regular contraception can cut the chances of pregnancy by up to 89 percent, but it works best within the first 24 hours. If a girl or woman already is pregnant, the pill, which prevents ovulation or fertilization of an egg, has no effect.

The Food and Drug Administration was preparing in 2011 to allow over-the-counter sales of the morning-after pill with no limits when Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius overruled her own scientists in an unprecedented move.

The FDA announced in early May that Plan B One-Step, the newer version of emergency contraception, the same drug but combined into one pill instead of two, could be sold without a prescription to those age 15 or older. Its maker, Teva Women's Health, plans to begin those sales soon. Sales had previously been limited to those who were at least 17.

The judge later ridiculed the FDA changes, saying they established "nonsensical rules" that favored sales of the Plan B One-Step morning-after pill and were made "to sugarcoat" the government's appeal.

He also said they placed a disproportionate burden on blacks and the poor by requiring a prescription for less expensive generic versions of the drug bought by those under age 17 and by requiring those age 17 or over to show proof-of-age identification at pharmacies. He cited studies showing that blacks with low incomes are less likely than other people to have government-issued IDs.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Morning-After-Pill/2013/06/10/id/509126