Author Topic: video of O inclining 3 plates  (Read 8476 times)

XL™

• Getbig II
  • San Diego is where all the guys like 619 live

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: video of O inclining 3 plates
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:35:26 PM »
Looks easy enough... ;D

NYCDVR

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 06:33:22 PM »
Who is this guy supposed to be? Its really not that much weight and even less with the smith

muscle19

• Getbig IV
  • Lifes To Short To Be Small!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 07:43:42 PM »
"O" the mod i believe

muscle
muscle

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 11:35:26 AM »
I couldnt get it to play.  But its a smith machine? 

Would agree they are quite a bit easier than free BB.  Ive poped up 365 for 6 on the incline smith, best i could do was 315 for 6 free weight.  About 50lbs diff.

But still 315 on the smith aint weak.....I just would never shoot vids of it.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 12:27:57 PM »
I just can't get right on the damn smith.  Squats on the smith are harder than real squats for me....to much effort concentrating on not messing something up

XL™

• Getbig II
  • San Diego is where all the guys like 619 live
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 02:30:35 PM »
o can incline 3 plates freeweight, he posted pics before.  for me personally, i use the same weight on the smith that i do freeweight, i dont use the smith all that often though.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »
The only thing I use the Smith for is close-grip bench.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 11:37:14 PM »
The only thing I use the Smith for is close-grip bench.

I don't use Smith Machine.......it allows for one plane of movement and that is not sufficient for the type of growth that I am looking for.  It effectively eliminates the stabilizer muscles and that is not functional strength.

I wouldn't advocate squating or doing any heavy compound movements on Smith Machine. 

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 10:22:57 AM »
I get 308 for a single on the incline and im weak compared to most of you guys on here

bigjohN79

• Getbig IV
  • FEAR THE BOG!!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 10:44:05 AM »
I don't use Smith Machine.......it allows for one plane of movement and that is not sufficient for the type of growth that I am looking for.  It effectively eliminates the stabilizer muscles and that is not functional strength.

I wouldn't advocate squating or doing any heavy compound movements on Smith Machine. 

DIV

I would advocate that!
FEAR THE BAPP!

BIGMIKE

• Getbig III
  • PAIN IS JUST A FOUR LETTER WORD
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »
SMITH IS OKAY ONCE IN A WHILE TO SHAKE THINGS UP,BUT LIKE DIV I STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT.DEVELOPING ANCILLARY MUSCLES IS THE KEY TO  T O T A L  DEVELOPEMENT AND TRUE STRENGTH...
BTW,I CAN'T SEE THE VID EITHER.
OH AND 315 AIN'T SHIT...

NYCDVR

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
OK WTF if you are filming yourself using the smith machine you have issues

I am not going to get into pros cons etc of smith but 315 on the smith is not Film material

Also am I the only guy who actually touches chest on bench movements? And shoulders on presses? O is losing a couple of inches there I hate it when people do that(traing partners in college always did) .

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:16:42 PM »
OK WTF if you are filming yourself using the smith machine you have issues

I am not going to get into pros cons etc of smith but 315 on the smith is not Film material

Also am I the only guy who actually touches chest on bench movements? And shoulders on presses? O is losing a couple of inches there I hate it when people do that(traing partners in college always did) .

PEC TEARS USUALLY OCCUR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MOVEMENT, THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS SOMEPEOPLE AVOID GOING ALL THE WAY DOWN..
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 12:16:49 AM »

I lift for strength, which means alot of negatives and form on my lifts......so, yes, I go to the chest when I bench.  What you will find with alot of bodybuilders however is the willingness to sacrifice form for higher weight. 

I think using the Smith Machine to bench is a waste anyway, as you are taking the stabilizer muscles out of the equation and it's strength on one plane of movement, essentially only one aspect of the lift.  It's a lazy man's bench press.

Free weights are the key to all things strength........notice I said "strength", not size.  Size does not equate to strength.  There are some IFBB pro BB's whose strength is dwarfed by amateur level powerlifters and olympic lifters.  What is the point of being "BIG" when there are guys smaller than you who outlift you?

That's real.

DIV

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
Size and strength are related and pretty linear,BUT only when compared to yourself.
Comparing two diffrent people strength/size wont work too well though.

I personly used strength as an indicator lots of times.Its quite a good one for diets and such.

Further more I doubt that even the weakest pros and most lazy trained ones are weak by any means.I think they are mostly lazy.I know people who do the same,just like to train for pump but when you give them the big wieghts they still can handle them easily.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 12:56:33 PM »
Further more I doubt that even the weakest pros and most lazy trained ones are weak by any means.I think they are mostly lazy.I know people who do the same,just like to train for pump but when you give them the big wieghts they still can handle them easily.

^This relates to my point.  How many bodybuilders do you see in the gym who are large but not strong?  Alot of muscle, but is it functional?  Half these guys can't do any cardio to save their lives and many don't even do compound free weight movements, instead relying on cables and machines for alot of their volume work.  That's not strength building, that's just building mass for the sake of mass.  I think it's ridiculous, but to each their own. 

Training for pump is a concept that I could never follow, even if I was a bodybuilder.  It's just not useful for anything outside the gym.  True strength has applications, from sports to the ability to move people out of the way if need be.  When you have slabs of useless muscle hanging off you that has no real use, it can be a detriment, esp in a fight.

DIV

NYCDVR

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 03:43:43 PM »
DIV I have to disagree

Why is it that someone always says the 300 pound meathead isn't strong its just a ridiculous argument

Remember a lot of BB types are pre exhausting and doing more volume set and rep wise so of course they are not bouncing the heaviest weights every set

And thirdly a pump is the greatest thing your talking about bringing all of that nutrient rich blood into the muscle

Don't think because someone is carefully doing cables to pump blood into a small muscle that means they cannot squat, bench, row

And last Ronnie is strong as shit period

Most "powerlifters" are just fat guys in bench shirts arching there backs and using there legs don't even mention any assisted lifts to me

Bodybuilders who are using less weight are doing the lift correctly and using there chest

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 03:50:01 PM »
DIV I have to disagree

Why is it that someone always says the 300 pound meathead isn't strong its just a ridiculous argument

Remember a lot of BB types are pre exhausting and doing more volume set and rep wise so of course they are not bouncing the heaviest weights every set

And thirdly a pump is the greatest thing your talking about bringing all of that nutrient rich blood into the muscle

Don't think because someone is carefully doing cables to pump blood into a small muscle that means they cannot squat, bench, row

Most "powerlifters" are just fat guys in bench shirts arching there backs and using there legs don't even mention any assisted lifts to me

Bodybuilders who are using less weight are doing the lift correctly and using there chest

WELL SAID, VERY TRUE.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 05:59:59 PM »
The research shows that there is a positive linear correlation between size (muscle cross-sectional area) and strength (peak torque output), it holds true when comparing different individuals regardless of gender.  In general, size and strength DO go hand-in-hand.  Ever see a 150 lbs. guy benching 405?

Like the other guys said, in my gym it's the big boys (both BB's and powerlifter-types) who are benching, squatting, DL'ing. They may finish up their routine with a couple of sets with cables or whatever.  The average joe is going through the motions with machines and cables and 25 lbs. dumbbells.

The argument that powerlifters have "functional strength" and BB's don't is BS.  Just because one carries alot of muscle doesn't mean they are not strong, or functional.  IMO, powerlifting these days has come down to who is the best "equipped", not who in fact is the strongest.

Jus my 2 cents

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 06:03:03 PM »
The research shows that there is a positive linear correlation between size (muscle cross-sectional area) and strength (peak torque output), it holds true when comparing different individuals regardless of gender.  In general, size and strength DO go hand-in-hand.  Ever see a 150 lbs. guy benching 405?

Like the other guys said, in my gym it's the big boys (both BB's and powerlifter-types) who are benching, squatting, DL'ing. They may finish up their routine with a couple of sets with cables or whatever.  The average joe is going through the motions with machines and cables and 25 lbs. dumbbells.

The argument that powerlifters have "functional strength" and BB's don't is BS.  Just because one carries alot of muscle doesn't mean they are not strong, or functional.  IMO, powerlifting these days has come down to who is the best "equipped", not who in fact is the strongest.

Jus my 2 cents

EXACTLY, GOOD POST.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 08:39:03 PM »

Where did I say that bodybuilders weren't strong.  I never made that statement.  Functionally they aren't as strong as powerlifters, strengthlifters. 

Pre-exhaustion and volume is not what strength is about, never has been.  Warm-up sets are 12 reps and thereafter all sets pyramid down from 10-8-6-4-2-max.  That's powerlifting/strength lifting, not bodybuilding. 

Getting a "pump" is something bodybuilders go for.  I don't go in the gym looking for a pump, it's all about form, strength and breaking maxes.  When it's just about a "pump" it doesn't matter how you feel or what you did the night before.  When it's strictly about pushing maxes for strict form, everything is important.  If you don't feel strong that day, you can't push.  Either you have it or you don't.  There is no half-ass "pump".

Cables are shapers, nothing more.  For a strengthlifter they are pointless.  I only see bodybuilders doing them.

What does Ronnie have to do with this?  He's a freak, he could be a powerlifter, strength athlete or anything he wanted.  Bringing him in to this does nothing for your argument.

When I say "powerlifter" I'm speak in general terms, not talking about the obese guys in suits, or those using wraps.  I'm talking about people who lift strictly for strength with tight form, including Olympic lifters.  Some of those guys in the lower weight classes put bodybuilders to shame.  Not only are they sleek and compact, but they have better form and lift more.  That's the best of both worlds.  Even some of these guys who compete in "World's Strongest Man" contests are smaller than your typical bodybuilder and still are alot stronger. 

Functional strength..........not hammer strength or some cybex machine.

Strength that actually means something.

Correlation does not equal Causation.  That is basic scientific principle.  Yes there are smaller guys benching three times their weight.  They are powerlifters in the lower weight classes. 

I never said bodybuilders have no functional strength.  You'd think with all that extra muscle they would be somewhat strong.  They just aren't as proportionally strong as powerlifters/strength lifters.  I've never seen a powerlifter do cables........ever.

That should tell you something.

DIV

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 08:56:09 PM »
Powerlifters are stronger than BB, that's a given. As far as who's strength is more functional, that is more of a matter of opinion.  A powerlifter's strength is functional for strength's sake alone, to be able to lift a large amount of weight, and to be able to continuously improve the amount he can lift for a given lift. A BB strength is functional for the purpose of his goal in shaping his body, that's it. The amount of weight he pushes or pulls or what types of lifts he is doing doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done of shaping the muscles in the desired fashion...what strength he gains is just an added bonus.

Finally, does it really matter which one is more "functional"? Strength has its place in both powerlifting and BB circles, but again it is in the whole scope of things irrelevant. Be it you powerlift or BB, do what you like and what gives you the most satisfaction. Either way, your still better off than the majority of people who sit around doing nothing.

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 08:58:52 PM »
Powerlifters are stronger than BB, that's a given. As far as who's strength is more functional, that is more of a matter of opinion.  A powerlifter's strength is functional for strength's sake alone, to be able to lift a large amount of weight, and to be able to continuously improve the amount he can lift for a given lift. A BB strength is functional for the purpose of his goal in shaping his body, that's it. The amount of weight he pushes or pulls or what types of lifts he is doing doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done of shaping the muscles in the desired fashion...what strength he gains is just an added bonus.

Finally, does it really matter which one is more "functional"? Strength has its place in both powerlifting and BB circles, but again it is in the whole scope of things irrelevant. Be it you powerlift or BB, do what you like and what gives you the most satisfaction. Either way, your still better off than the majority of people who sit around doing nothing.

I WOULD SAY OLYMPIC LIFTERS HAVE THE MOST FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH, WITH BODYBUILDERS SECOND, POWERLIFTERS HAVE THE LEAST FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH, MOST OF THEM AT LEAST.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »

Baby Arnold,

When I say "functional", it's very clear what I mean.  Strength that applies to real world situations, not "body shaping" for a beauty pageant.  Strength that allows you to lift people out of your way, break bones, deter people from ever making the mistake of fu.cking with you.  That's one clear example.

Functional means being able to lift heavy weights from point A to point B......not for the sake of  "pump".  Do you see my point?

Real applications.

DIV