Author Topic: MSNBC Host: Your Kids Belong to the Collective  (Read 8409 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
MSNBC Host: Your Kids Belong to the Collective
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »
 :-X :-X :-X

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
April 6, 2013

In the video below, college professor and MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry says your children are not yours – they are owned by the community. She says public education has failed because we have not allowed the state to confiscate more of our money.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

“We have to break through our private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families,” says the professor of political science at Tulane University, where she is founding director of the Anna Julia Cooper Project on Gender, Race, and Politics in the South. Kids belong to whole communities, she insists, and once we realize this we’ll make “better investments” in government indoctrination of children.

http://www.infowars.com/your-kids-belong-to-the-collective/

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: MSNBC Host: Your Kids Belong to the Collective
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »
Fundy liberalism

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
April 6, 2013

In the video below, college professor and MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry says your children are not yours – they are owned by the community. She says public education has failed because we have not allowed the state to confiscate more of our money.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

“We have to break through our private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families,” says the professor of political science at Tulane University, where she is founding director of the Anna Julia Cooper Project on Gender, Race, and Politics in the South. Kids belong to whole communities, she insists, and once we realize this we’ll make “better investments” in government indoctrination of children.

With goofs like this, is it any wonder MSNBC is the red-headed stepchild of cable news.

This ain't the Borg from Star Trek. My kids don't belong to the collective. They belong to me, my wife, and the good Lord.

This country spend money on education, as if it's going out of style. Yet, American children have perhaps never been dumber.

Better money management, school choice, keeping good teachers, and scrapping bad ones will get our kids back on the right track.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
I've said it before, but I was just shocked by the way Fox defended Bush/Cheney...  I've bitched about Faux News on here in the past. MSNBC has surpassed everything though, these people are fucking lunatics.

These little segments they have on during commercials are so fucking creepy.  The only reason I've seen them is because I watch Lockup for some reason.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
This country spend money on education, as if it's going out of style. Yet, American children have perhaps never been dumber.

Speaking as someone who's been involved in education (albeit at the University level) you only have yourself to blame for that: you elect school boards whose members don't have 3 brain cells to rub together, are just as uneducated as the dumb kids the school system pumps out, and believe that not only are they qualified to decide what children should learn, but how they should be taught and what textbooks should say.

I've stood before a school board, asking the idiots on the other side to not cut math and science funding in favor of sports and art and you know what the answer was: "I don't know nothing about calculus and I did fine. I'm on the school board! Sports teach discipline and art teaches students to expand their mind. Our students already know that if you let go of a box it will fall or that if 2 and 2 is four, they don't need a year of physics or math to teach them that."

Unfortunately THAT is the kind of person who gets elected to school boards.

And it shows. Because the average American kid who gets into University can't read English well, can't write English well, can't do basic math, can't study and, worse still, can't think. And you have kids from overseas who come to our Universities and run circles around our students without even trying.

Better money management, school choice, keeping good teachers, and scrapping bad ones will get our kids back on the right track.

No it won't. Not as long as those good teachers are required by their idiot bosses to do stupid things like teaching that mystical beliefs are on an equal footing with science.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
Speaking as someone who's been involved in education (albeit at the University level) you only have yourself to blame for that: you elect school boards whose members don't have 3 brain cells to rub together, are just as uneducated as the dumb kids the school system pumps out, and believe that not only are they qualified to decide what children should learn, but how they should be taught and what textbooks should say.

I've stood before a school board, asking the idiots on the other side to not cut math and science funding in favor of sports and art and you know what the answer was: "I don't know nothing about calculus and I did fine. I'm on the school board! Sports teach discipline and art teaches students to expand their mind. Our students already know that if you let go of a box it will fall or that if 2 and 2 is four, they don't need a year of physics or math to teach them that."

And it shows. Because the average American kid who gets into University can't read English well, can't write English well, can't do basic math, can't study and, worse still, can't think. And you have kids from overseas who come to our Universities and run circles around our students without even trying...

No it won't. Not as long as those good teachers are required by their idiot bosses to do stupid things like teaching that mystical beliefs are on an equal footing with science.

I cannot possibly say enough bad things about the public schooling I was subjected to.  Private school is a whole different ball game, the students are advanced by about two or three grade levels.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
April 6, 2013

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

That is pretty freaking disturbing. 

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:35 AM »
MSNBC, FOX, and CNN are little more than entertainment variety shows headed up by talking heads who spew forth garbage day in and day out. It is frightening that they are able to influence even a small portion of the population.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »
Sick.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
Dangerous racist nutcase.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
Wonder how she'll feel if the community decides to take a larger role in the ownership of her daughter?
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
Wonder how she'll feel if the community decides to take a larger role in the ownership of her daughter?

Exactly. She thinks she's part of the ruling class, though, so her proposed rules don't apply to her. Only the best private schools for her daughter.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »

Kurt Nimmo
Infowars.com
April 6, 2013

So absolutely nothing to do with the teaching unions ensuring fuckwits get tenure after a mere 24 months on the job and then kicking back doing fuck all for the rest of their careers because even performance relate pay would be 'unfair'.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:09:43 AM »

And it shows. Because the average American kid who gets into University can't read English well, can't write English well, can't do basic math, can't study and, worse still, can't think. And you have kids from overseas who come to our Universities and run circles around our students without even trying.

First of all, I don' elect anyone to any school boards. I've long discovered how pathetic the public school system is. My kids will never see the inside of a public school, if I have anything to say about it. My children have either been in private schools or homeschool. And, that's how they will continue to be educated.

My wife is also a university professor. But, unlike Harris-Perry, she actually teaches stuff that's valuable in the real world: Nursing. It's safe to say that there's a little science involved there. Some of the kids she teaches are as dumb as a sack of bricks.

Your anti-religous slant has clouded your common sense. Public schools CAN'T teach any so-called mystical beliefs, period. Evolution has been taught by law in public schools FOR DECADES. Yet, American kids continue to SUCK at math and science. Explain that.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
One of my least favorite pundits along with the utter hack Michael Dyson.  People like those two live in a paranoid alternate reality.
A

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
First of all, I don' elect anyone to any school boards. I've long discovered how pathetic the public school system is. My kids will never see the inside of a public school, if I have anything to say about it. My children have either been in private schools or homeschool. And, that's how they will continue to be educated.

The "you" in question wasn't targeting anyone in particular. But since you waded into the pool, let's swim, shall we? Even if your kids are homeschooled and never see the inside of a public school, you still have the option of voting for school board members in elections. And if you don't vote for qualified candidates, then you are just as responsible for the sad state of our schools as those people who vote for unqualified ones.

My wife is also a university professor. But, unlike Harris-Perry, she actually teaches stuff that's valuable in the real world: Nursing. It's safe to say that there's a little science involved there. Some of the kids she teaches are as dumb as a sack of bricks.

You won't get any argument from me. Many of the kids in my classes must come from the same brick factory.

Your anti-religous slant has clouded your common sense. Public schools CAN'T teach any so-called mystical beliefs, period. Evolution has been taught by law in public schools FOR DECADES. Yet, American kids continue to SUCK at math and science. Explain that.

Really? Let's see about that... Here are the requirements set by a school board in Georgia:

• Curriculum must be organized such that no student is compelled to study the origin of the human species in science
  • No scientific study in the origin of the human species may be taught at the elementary or middle school level
  • There may be no course requirement for the origin of the human species in science for high school graduation
  • Elective course work must be available to students to investigate alternatives to the origin of the human species in science, including creationism
  • These electives must be identified in course selection guides provided to students and parents

So here we have a school board that seeks to limit the teaching of science, and quite explicitly mentions that creationism must be taught as a valid and scientific alternative. This is the same school board that ordered the now infamous "Evolution is a theory not a fact" (as if the name "Theory of Evolution" isn't enough of a hint) sticker placed on biology textbooks.

And the hicks in Georgia aren't the only ones doing this nonsense. Off the top of my head there was the school board in Kansas that voted to teach "Intelligent Design" as a scientific theory, alongside evolution (and whose members, surprisingly, were kicked out in the next election).

I don't argue that this is the only problem behind the sub-par math and science education U.S. children receive. There are many reasons for that and we can get into them if you want. But my point is that when Universities (likes the ones your wife and I teach in) are forced to offer courses high-school level courses as math (at my University we have Math 097 "Basic Arithmetic") you know that there's a problem.

One of the problems is that many courses are electives, and the required math and science courses are a joke. Another is that students aren't tested properly. They get multiple choice tests, pages and pages of cheat sheets and use scientific calculators with more processing power than the Apollo navigation computer.

There are, of course, oversimplifications in a sense and they aren't the only causes. You could even argue that they are symptoms. But they accurately portray the sad state of our education system.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
One of my least favorite pundits along with the utter hack Michael Dyson.  People like those two live in a paranoid alternate reality.

She is really a pos like most on that station

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »
The "you" in question wasn't targeting anyone in particular. But since you waded into the pool, let's swim, shall we? Even if your kids are homeschooled and never see the inside of a public school, you still have the option of voting for school board members in elections. And if you don't vote for qualified candidates, then you are just as responsible for the sad state of our schools as those people who vote for unqualified ones.

You won't get any argument from me. Many of the kids in my classes must come from the same brick factory.

Really? Let's see about that... Here are the requirements set by a school board in Georgia:

• Curriculum must be organized such that no student is compelled to study the origin of the human species in science
  • No scientific study in the origin of the human species may be taught at the elementary or middle school level
  • There may be no course requirement for the origin of the human species in science for high school graduation
  • Elective course work must be available to students to investigate alternatives to the origin of the human species in science, including creationism
  • These electives must be identified in course selection guides provided to students and parents

So here we have a school board that seeks to limit the teaching of science, and quite explicitly mentions that creationism must be taught as a valid and scientific alternative. This is the same school board that ordered the now infamous "Evolution is a theory not a fact" (as if the name "Theory of Evolution" isn't enough of a hint) sticker placed on biology textbooks.

And the hicks in Georgia aren't the only ones doing this nonsense. Off the top of my head there was the school board in Kansas that voted to teach "Intelligent Design" as a scientific theory, alongside evolution (and whose members, surprisingly, were kicked out in the next election).

I don't argue that this is the only problem behind the sub-par math and science education U.S. children receive. There are many reasons for that and we can get into them if you want. But my point is that when Universities (likes the ones your wife and I teach in) are forced to offer courses high-school level courses as math (at my University we have Math 097 "Basic Arithmetic") you know that there's a problem.

One of the problems is that many courses are electives, and the required math and science courses are a joke. Another is that students aren't tested properly. They get multiple choice tests, pages and pages of cheat sheets and use scientific calculators with more processing power than the Apollo navigation computer.

There are, of course, oversimplifications in a sense and they aren't the only causes. You could even argue that they are symptoms. But they accurately portray the sad state of our education system.

There's a difference between what we call "operational science" and "origins science". I'm an engineer. My wife's a nurse. For some reason, evolution vs. Creation had little to do with our lines of work. And, both of us went to Christian schools during our younger years.

Plus, your list says electives and no requirements. The public schools are still teaching evolution. While technically it's not required, effectively it is. How many kids (or their parents, on their behalf) are actually opting out of this?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »

[/quote]

right because public schools teach students about God.  dude.  you can't even say God in public schools anymore. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

i went to a Catholic school and we learned about evolution.  i never get when people say Catholics don't believe in evolution, when thats quite simply not true.  too much exposure to MSNBC is what it is.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

right because public schools teach students about God.  dude.  you can't even say God in public schools anymore. 

You can teach bad science without mentioning the word "God".

i went to a Catholic school and we learned about evolution.  i never get when people say Catholics don't believe in evolution, when thats quite simply not true.  too much exposure to MSNBC is what it is.

I'm not sure why you're quoting my post on the subject since I've never said that and don't watch MSNBC.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
There's a difference between what we call "operational science" and "origins science". I'm an engineer. My wife's a nurse. For some reason, evolution vs. Creation had little to do with our lines of work. And, both of us went to Christian schools during our younger years.

Right - but the thing is what you teach as a concept and what you present science as... take intelligent design, for example. If you present that as a scientific theory you're doing a disservice to children, because it's not and cannot be.

Plus, your list says electives and no requirements. The public schools are still teaching evolution. While technically it's not required, effectively it is. How many kids (or their parents, on their behalf) are actually opting out of this?

Children opting out of science isn't the issue (although I think that elementary biology should be a part of a well-thought out curriculum) in this case. The issue is that the school board was forcing teachers to teach bad science to those students who chose to opt in.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
I cannot possibly say enough bad things about the public schooling I was subjected to.  Private school is a whole different ball game, the students are advanced by about two or three grade levels.

I went to a private school until I was 10.

I was ready for college from a language perspective by then... As a matter of fact I took my SATs at 12 and aced the verbal portion.

None of my public school counterparts were able.

We do spend a ton of money on education, but ultimately, it's not about money... It's about personal responsibility... Do you want to do well or not? Does your family promote your education or not?

If they don't, then you get what you get.

I'm not sure I disagree with her "completely" though... I don't like how she puts it, but it does take a village to raise a child properly... Not just one person.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
I went to a private school until I was 10.

I was ready for college from a language perspective by then... As a matter of fact I took my SATs at 12 and aced the verbal portion.

None of my public school counterparts were able.

We do spend a ton of money on education, but ultimately, it's not about money... It's about personal responsibility... Do you want to do well or not? Does your family promote your education or not?

If they don't, then you get what you get.

I'm not sure I disagree with her "completely" though... I don't like how she puts it, but it does take a village to raise a child properly... Not just one person.

That village is usually extended family: Big Mama, Paw-Paw, Ti-Ti, Crazy Uncle Joe, and 'nem!!

;D

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
That village is usually extended family: Big Mama, Paw-Paw, Ti-Ti, Crazy Uncle Joe, and 'nem!!

;D
I agree... That's also a part of our educational issue... Look at the black community. How much do they support raising their children? If they aren't on Maury... They don't care.

:'(