Author Topic: 'Expanding the rib cage"  (Read 11247 times)

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
Re: 'Expanding the rib cage"
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »
Breathing Squats are a bitch to do! I usually get a head ache when I try to do them.
Intensity; the measure of man

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 10:58:51 AM »
*Repeat* The rib cage CAN NOT be expanded EVER!! I don't care what Arnold has said. The sooner u get this through your skull, the sooner you'll stop doin pullovers.
CEA999

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 02:15:50 PM »
JPM, if you were following a heavy breathing squat routine, would u do the actual heavy breathing squats more than once in the week????
I was thinking of doing them either twice (then bb hacks on 3rs day), or doing them on Monday and doin regular 3 sets of 6 squats on Wednesday followed by bb hacks on friday????

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »
*Repeat* The rib cage CAN NOT be expanded EVER!! I don't care what Arnold has said. The sooner u get this through your skull, the sooner you'll stop doin pullovers.
YOURE WRONG.  YOU CAN STRETCH THE CARTILAGE BETWEEN YOUR RIBS MAKING FOR A BIGGER RIBCAGE.  IT WORKED FOR ME.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »
THE ANSWER:::::::     Do them and find out for yourself!!!!     End every leg workout for the next 6 weeks with 20 rep BALLS TO THE FLOOR FULL SQUATS<<< Fuck breathing Squats, if you do these right , you'll be breathing like a runaway train anyway, just do them.>>> supersetted with 15 -20 rep Across Bench Db pullovers. Pour it on!!! All or nothing!!!!   1 to 2 sets will do the trick.   Take before and after photos doing side chest shots and measurements.

You will be bigger and better. With more depth to your side shots.  You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Man up, and get in the Squat rack and find out what your made of.

XS

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »
I like going ass to the floor, but isn't it bad for your knees?
Intensity; the measure of man

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 06:26:21 PM »
SUPAMIKEY: no it's not . It's more of a flexibility factor than anything else.   Getter' done.

XS

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 05:57:41 AM »
Sorry guys--you can not expand your ribcage by doing pullovers.  Doesn't matter at what age you started doing them, either.

Those of you who have large ribcages were lucky enough to be blessed with that trait, and if you also happened to have performed pullovers you are attributing the exercise to your success.  They may have assissted in giving you greater muscular detail around that nice big thorax, however.  Personally, I've always included pullovers as part of my back training.

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 06:27:51 AM »
Sorry guys--you can not expand your ribcage by doing pullovers.  Doesn't matter at what age you started doing them, either.

SORRY FREAKFEST--YOU CAN EXPAND THE CARTILAGE BETWEEN YOUR RIBS MAKING FOR A LARGER RIBCAGE, IT DOES MATTER WHAT AGE YOU START DOING THEM AT, BEFORE YOUR CARTILAGE FUSES, WHICH IS BEFORE 20 OR SO.  YOU HAVE TO DO THEM FREEWIGHT THOUGH AND DIP YOUR HIPS FOR A BIGGER STRETCH, SORRY THAT YOU HAVE A SMALL RIBCAGE FREAK AND THAT YOURE TOO OLD TO CHANGE THE SIZE OF IT, BUT HEY, THATS HOW THE DICE ROLL.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 10:37:23 AM »
When people say expanding the rib cage I don't think they mean making your chest dimensions bigger or whatnot.  There are short muscles between your ribs and doing heavy lying dumbell pullovers uses them.  You have to go deep though (touch the floor with the dumbell) and use enough weight that the sticking point of most resistance is pretty low, like 8 inches off the floor, certainly before horizontal.  Just keep the elbow pretty straight and go not to high in the reps, it is a good all around every other week.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 08:15:17 AM »
SORRY THAT YOU HAVE A SMALL RIBCAGE FREAK AND THAT YOURE TOO OLD TO CHANGE THE SIZE OF IT, BUT HEY, THATS HOW THE DICE ROLL.

Actually, XXL, I have a very large ribcage, as does my father, my twin brother and my older brother.  I have fairly extensive knowledge about the basic science of cartilage, especially in terms of growth and development, and have published several articles on related topics.  Suffice it to say, that the Heuter-Volkmann principle (i.e.that cartilage actually decreases growth when exposed to an applied load, and increases growth when unloaded) by itself offers a very simple explanation of why the growth for which you seek explanation just doesn't occur.

Again, I am not doubting that you have a very impressive thorax.  I am only saying that you have it based more on deoxyribonucleic acid than pullovers.

bravo

• Getbig II
  • Self Inflicted!!
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 03:33:04 PM »
Hey XXL; that's Checkmate  for the Freak...game over.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »
I can certainly understand the principle of the Heuter-Volkmann argument  but it (H-V) can not explain, under real conditions, the bone remodeling issue. Woff's law of change in bone remodeling/adapting of bone structure may give a truer opposite result with regards to Epiphyseal pressure in a more realistic state. Of course both these studies were in regard to mature adults not younger subjects around or below the age of 22 years or so. Any younger subject is still in the state of flux with regard to cartilage ( in this period, a soft state) and there may be, but I am not aware of such, research on these matters conducted on younger persons.

Pullovers, either straight or bentarm, can have a positive influence on the rib box (and muscle/ligaments, inserts/attachments) expansion both outward and upward when the said trainee is still with-in the required younger age limit, where the potentional for growth is at it's highest. Two inches, or so, seems to be the mean average chest/rib box improvement after a period of time. This affect has even helped older trainee's reach a state of better flexability and strenghtening the muscle attachments around the chest/rib box it's self, which can give a fuller feeling to this area. Which inturn give a much more impressive looking chest.

As XS said, "Do them and find out for yourself". Pullovers are best done right after a set of high rep squats, Dl', cleans, etc. The idea is to take advantage of the heavy, high chest breathing produced by those demanding compound exercises. Using a medium weight (either straight or bent armed) and going for a full stretch, breathing deeply, for 20 reps can be very rewarding . Two sets of 20 rep squats should be well enought to set up some very good gains in the long run. But you can also do pullovers after a regular chest workout, affects the shoulder girdle very well. One of my favorite upper body mass builders is the bent arm DB pullover. Not only insuring a flexable rib box but also hitting the pec's, lat's, triceps & abs strongly. I use heavy weights for 7-12 reps usually.

Too bad so many men who want to make superior gains, yet avoid some exercises because they "think" they will not get results. And yet some of these  guy's spend hours in a gym doing endless set after set, four to six times a weeks, getting little or no results for their efforts. Seems like their doing manuel labor rather than working out. With BB'ing, we all have to give just about any method, system, exercise or whatever a fair try and than cast your negative or positive judgement on it afterwards. Everything has to be proven with each one of us on a seperate bases. Good Luck.