Author Topic: 'Expanding the rib cage"  (Read 11246 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
'Expanding the rib cage"
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:31:08 AM »
You always hear that exercises like pullovers will help expand your rib cage.
My question is what the hell does this mean and what are its advantages?

Borracho

• Getbig V
Re: 'Expanding the rib cage"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 08:32:57 AM »
with a bigger ribcage you would be thicker, wider and be able to put on more mass i guess
wether it's actually possible, at least if youre allready fullgrown i dont know
Z

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »
with a bigger ribcage you would be thicker, wider and be able to put on more mass i guess
wether it's actually possible, at least if youre allready fullgrown i dont know

The ribcage isnt just bone but cartilige (think its cartilige) as well, been a while since i have done any anatomy.  I guess maybe this could be a little flexible?
I have a pretty big ribcage for my build and have done db pullovers for years, was that a factor?  Dunno.
[img]http://ima

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:26:34 AM »
the advantage is that with a huge ribcage you look insane on side shots especially the side chest....look at guys like arnold or katz

619Rules

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 11:28:37 AM »
The rib cage cannot be expanded.....it is all genetics .....

All the old muscle mags had articles on how to make it bigger-but it was all hype to sell magazines....sort of like how  "breathing squats" made your upper body bigger........hahaha.... ....

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 11:34:30 AM »
There are a lot of myths in bodybuilding and I guess this is just another one. Thanks for the input guys.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
I think pullovers done early in life when you first start lifting can cause some rib cage expansion.  The cartilage I think can maybe be stretched over time.  But I think genetics has the majority say so in this issue.  Mike Katz has a huge rib cage.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »
To clear some things up....

The ribs are connected to the sternum by several inches (just how many depends on the individual) of cartilage.  Under said cartilage lies various muscular structures, including but not limited to the intercostals and the serratus.  These muscles can stretch and expand, causing the pliable cartilage to adapt to a very minor degree of expansion.  Pullovers indeed allow for this, however, and more importantly, the effects of the exercise allow for the APPEARANCE of an "expanded rib cage".  Take that for what it's worth.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 01:56:31 PM »
With due respect to the old timer 619Rules: Heavy forced breathing squats can make the upper body, as well as the lower body, larger. A very fine method of gaining rapid muscular weight for football players and other athletes. Ten to fifteen muscular pounds seems to be the average gain with-in two months or so, usually less time. Reps are done with-in the range of 20 or so. If you also pay attention to rib box expansion at a younger age (24-24 seems to be the mark off point) while the cartilage is still in a state of flux and has not harded into firm boney material, the possibility of rib box growth is present. Pullovers (either straight or bent arm) in higher rep sets after doing a heavy set of sets can have a remarkable affect of adding inches to the chest. 2" to 3''s are not out of the question over a  short period of time, if the trainee is young enought. Even using pullovers in regular workouts can strenghted the muscle/rib attachments giving a fuller and higher feel to the chest of older trainee's. Good Luck.

Side Bar:  The surf does meet the turf in old Del Mar, almost.

619Rules

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 02:39:59 PM »
With due respect to the old timer 619Rules: Heavy forced breathing squats can make the upper body, as well as the lower body, larger. A very fine method of gaining rapid muscular weight for football players and other athletes. Ten to fifteen muscular pounds seems to be the average gain with-in two months or so, usually less time. Reps are done with-in the range of 20 or so. If you also pay attention to rib box expansion at a younger age (24-24 seems to be the mark off point) while the cartilage is still in a state of flux and has not harded into firm boney material, the possibility of rib box growth is present. Pullovers (either straight or bent arm) in higher rep sets after doing a heavy set of sets can have a remarkable affect of adding inches to the chest. 2" to 3''s are not out of the question over a  short period of time, if the trainee is young enought. Even using pullovers in regular workouts can strenghted the muscle/rib attachments giving a fuller and higher feel to the chest of older trainee's. Good Luck.

Side Bar:  The surf does meet the turf in old Del Mar, almost.

No such thing as "Breathing Squats" making the upper body bigger-just a myth to sell magazines.

Please post a scientific study that has documented such results as you claim and I will eat my words.......

The "Surf Meets The Turf" is the Del Mar logo.......but I had to steal it b/c it is so cool....and it fit nto my byline.....plus that is the only beach I go to these days ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 03:14:34 PM »
No such thing as "Breathing Squats" making the upper body bigger-just a myth to sell magazines.

Please post a scientific study that has documented such results as you claim and I will eat my words.......

The "Surf Meets The Turf" is the Del Mar logo.......but I had to steal it b/c it is so cool....and it fit nto my byline.....plus that is the only beach I go to these days ;D

I heard you were a "regular" at Blacks Beach

619Rules

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
I heard you were a "regular" at Blacks Beach

OK...a Blacks Beach story for Knny187....since he seems to like the "dark side" of the San Diego nude beaches.............

There is a guy in San Diego named Mark Dayton that used to compete about 15-20 years ago-back in the 80's....anyway Mark could get ripped to shreds.....shredded wheat-with veins everywhere....so he had a hot GF and they used to hit Blacks Beach and la out nude.....

and for those who are not from San Diego, Blacks Beach is about 90+% gay men.......

So back to the story...Mark and his GF are hanging out and catching some rays when a gay guy walks right up to them with a camera and starts snapping pictures of Mark in the buff.....and this is no ordinary camera-it has an automatice winder on it so you can snap pictures as fast as you can push the button.........bad move.......

Mark tells the guy he needs the film, this guy is a black dude (and very gay) and says hell no.......at which point Mark gets up-grabs the guy, then grabs the camera out of his hands........ then Mark yanks out all the film...........tells the guy to beat it....

True story! ;D ;D I have a god story about mission beach too.....have to save that one for later.......

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »

OK...a Blacks Beach story for Knny187....since he seems to like the "dark side" of the San Diego nude beaches.............

There is a guy in San Diego named Mark Dayton that used to compete about 15-20 years ago-back in the 80's....anyway Mark could get ripped to shreds.....shredded wheat-with veins everywhere....so he had a hot GF and they used to hit Blacks Beach and la out nude.....

and for those who are not from San Diego, Blacks Beach is about 90+% gay men.......

So back to the story...Mark and his GF are hanging out and catching some rays when a gay guy walks right up to them with a camera and starts snapping pictures of Mark in the buff.....and this is no ordinary camera-it has an automatice winder on it so you can snap pictures as fast as you can push the button.........bad move.......

Mark tells the guy he needs the film, this guy is a black dude (and very gay) and says hell no.......at which point Mark gets up-grabs the guy, then grabs the camera out of his hands........ then Mark yanks out all the film...........tells the guy to beat it....

True story! ;D ;D I have a god story about mission beach too.....have to save that one for later.......

I didn't know you were black.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 04:01:17 PM »
Not that theres anything wrong with that.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 05:08:22 PM »
Rules....why did we want to know that story?

:-\

619Rules

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 05:33:44 PM »
Rules....why did we want to know that story?

:-\

Knny-you brought up Blacks Beach.....so I figured you woud like that one.....

I didn't know you were black.

Hahaha.........thank you for the compliment......actually it is a real hike to get into and out of Blacks Beach...and I have never been there.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 05:40:03 PM »

Knny-you brought up Blacks Beach.....so I figured you woud like that one.....

Hahaha.........thank you for the compliment......actually it is a real hike to get into and out of Blacks Beach...and I have never been there.

It's called a cliff

619Rules

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »
It's called a cliff

Hahhahaahhahaha.......and it is one big cliff at that!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 07:03:18 PM »
Back in the day....alot of people would think it was a cool place to go....until they actually went there.

Then they would see the queers & out of shape naked fat people.

Why the hell would fat people want to be naked?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »
was it mark or mike dayton.  mike was pretty well known back then.

619Rules

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 08:28:10 PM »
was it mark or mike dayton.  mike was pretty well known back then.

No-not Mike Dayton......Mike ss from Nor Cal and competed n the 60's and 70's and won some big shows...

It was Mark Dayton who was a very good BBer out of San Diego.....he won some shows.........he could get super ripped.........great guy.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 12:23:25 AM »
It's an old training myth that managed to survive through the years. That clown Ellington Darden has been a big proponent of "ribcage expansion" exercises. What a joke.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 08:07:02 AM »
The ribcage isnt just bone but cartilige (think its cartilige) as well, been a while since i have done any anatomy.  I guess maybe this could be a little flexible?
I have a pretty big ribcage for my build and have done db pullovers for years, was that a factor?  Dunno.

The db pullovers are definately a big factor.
The House that Ruth built

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 06:33:08 AM »
DUMBELL PULLOVERS EXPAND THE CARTALAGE BETWEEN YOUR RIBS MAKING FOR A BIGGER RIBCAGE BUT YOU HAVE TO START DOING THEM YOUNG FOR IT TO WORK. LIKE BEFORE 20 YEARS OLD.  IT REALLY WORKED FOR ME.
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ