Author Topic: NJ Teacher Fired For Giving Student Bible After They Inquired About a Quote.  (Read 1566 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
http://news.yahoo.com/teacher-says-fired-giving-inquisitive-student-bible-140212041.html

Tutka says his persecution began on Oct. 12, a day when he was working as a substitute in the Phillipsburg School District.

He alleges that he quipped to a student who happened to be standing last in a line: “The first shall be the last, and the last shall be the first.”

The line is a reference to a verse seen a handful of different times in the canonical Gospels (e.g., Matthew 19:30 and Mark 10:31).

The complaint goes on to say that the unidentified student “repeatedly” inquired about the source of Tutka’s profound remark. Tutka told him it came from the Bible and also asked the student if he owned a Bible.

When the student said he did not, Tutka says he gave the student a pocket-sized Bible he was carrying, reads the complaint.

yet in Florida teachers are teaching their students to give up constitutional rights for "safety" and nobody seems to be getting fired.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
How come you didn't post the entire article?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
How come you didn't post the entire article?
figured it would be to long and ppl wouldnt read it all, do you feel I misrepresented the article?

OzmO

• Getbig V
figured it would be to long and ppl wouldnt read it all, do you feel I misrepresented the article?

It Wasn't that long of an article and I think in order to really discuss the facts in the whole article prolly would be relevant. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
Also, the last sentence in your post can easily be confused to be part of the article.

OzmO

• Getbig V
I don't think the substitute teacher should have been fired over this.  Although, it is a bit of a gray area.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
It Wasn't that long of an article and I think in order to really discuss the facts in the whole article prolly would be relevant.  
read the whole article then, thats why I linked it...

I didnt leave anything out that was consequential and the last sentence would only be confused as part of the article by a moron(so yea, youre probably right lots of fundie libtards around here might mistake that as part of the article ;))

tonymctones

• Getbig V
I don't think the substitute teacher should have been fired over this.  Although, it is a bit of a gray area.
why a gray area?

do you believe its wrong to speak with a student about the bible/religion if they inquire about it?

should ppl not be able to quote the bible at all?
how do you feel about the teacher in florida teaching her student to give up constitutional rights for "safety"

OzmO

• Getbig V
why a gray area?

do you believe its wrong to speak with a student about the bible/religion if they inquire about it?

should ppl not be able to quote the bible at all?
how do you feel about the teacher in florida teaching her student to give up constitutional rights for "safety"

It's a fine line.  A teacher gives a bible to a student who asks for it or does the a teacher encourage it?  What this guy did isn't a fire-able offense and he didn't push it on teh kid, but it could very well happen else where and I wouldn't want that.

As for the constitution thing, it's kind of the same thing.  Did the teach encourage it or neutrally present the issue?  If he pushed it on the kids, while its lame, stupid etc., it's not an immediately fire-able offense unless it continues, same as with pushing the bible.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
As a teacher I would have told him where the qoute came from but made it clear matters of religion are best discussed at home with a parent.  I wouldn't have given him a bible because I wouldn't want to do something the parents might disapprove of.  Religion is the parents domain not mine.
A

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
What if the teacher had given the student a Koran? :)

OzmO

• Getbig V

Lol. That's what I thought too when I first read this.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"

Would have been promoted and given a healthy grant.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
if the student had inquired about it, I dont see how ppl can get this pissed off.

bears

• Getbig IV

then he would have been praised as a "culturally aware" teacher who wants his "students to appreciate all cultures".  

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
if the student had inquired about it, I dont see how ppl can get this pissed off.

Agree.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo

You'd think that but they do.  Parent get especially upset about shit like this.   The best solution is to answer his question but don't give him a bible.  Recommend he discuss it with his family.

Imagine what a devout Christian family would think if their child asked a teacher about atheism and a teacher gave him a book about it. A holy shit storm would ensue, with accusations of indoctrination.
A

tonymctones

• Getbig V
You'd think that but they do.  Parent get especially upset about shit like this.   The best solution is to answer his question but don't give him a bible.  Recommend he discuss it with his family.

Imagine what a devout Christian family would think if their child asked a teacher about atheism and a teacher gave him a book about it. A holy shit storm would ensue, with accusations of indoctrination.

oh I totally agree with you

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
hahahaha can you imagine if a teacher quated a line out of the koran,then when the kid asked about it the teacher gave him a koran.and nobody on here would have a problem with it  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D yeah ooooookkkk  :D :D :D :D :D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
hahahaha can you imagine if a teacher quated a line out of the koran,then when the kid asked about it the teacher gave him a koran.and nobody on here would have a problem with it  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D yeah ooooookkkk  :D :D :D :D :D
you believe that teacher would have been fired?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Certainly nothing to fire someone over.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
you would be the first one crying for it

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
http://news.yahoo.com/teacher-says-fired-giving-inquisitive-student-bible-140212041.html

Tutka says his persecution began on Oct. 12, a day when he was working as a substitute in the Phillipsburg School District.

He alleges that he quipped to a student who happened to be standing last in a line: “The first shall be the last, and the last shall be the first.”

The line is a reference to a verse seen a handful of different times in the canonical Gospels (e.g., Matthew 19:30 and Mark 10:31).

The complaint goes on to say that the unidentified student “repeatedly” inquired about the source of Tutka’s profound remark. Tutka told him it came from the Bible and also asked the student if he owned a Bible.

When the student said he did not, Tutka says he gave the student a pocket-sized Bible he was carrying, reads the complaint.

yet in Florida teachers are teaching their students to give up constitutional rights for "safety" and nobody seems to be getting fired.

Separation of Church and State....law of the land.  He definitely knew he was going to be in trouble when he handed that bible to a kid......
A

bears

• Getbig IV
you would be the first one crying for it

and you'd be the frist to defend it

tonymctones

• Getbig V

Separation of Church and State....law of the land.  He definitely knew he was going to be in trouble when he handed that bible to a kid......
gays cant marry....law of the land

the right to bear arms may not be infringed upon...law of the land.

why are you picking and choosing?

he wasnt promoting it, the student asked about it....