Author Topic: Arm size  (Read 5981 times)

Loomis

• Getbig III
Arm size
« on: December 19, 2005, 12:01:25 AM »
I'm looking for a way to jump-start my arms into some new growth. I'm currently 270lbs@ 6'1". My chest is 54", quads are 29", but my arms are only 19.5". I'd like to get another inch on them to even out my proportions. I'm considering taking 6 weeks or so and really prioritizing arms and putting the rest of the body on basically maintenance. Anybody ever try this to bring up a lagging bodypart?

XL™

• Getbig II
  • San Diego is where all the guys like 619 live
Re: Arm size
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 12:13:55 AM »
I'm looking for a way to jump-start my arms into some new growth. I'm currently 270lbs@ 6'1". My chest is 54", quads are 29", but my arms are only 19.5". I'd like to get another inch on them to even out my proportions. I'm considering taking 6 weeks or so and really prioritizing arms and putting the rest of the body on basically maintenance. Anybody ever try this to bring up a lagging bodypart?
19.5 seems in proportion to those measurments, if anything you need more leg size.

i doubt those are your measurements though, people with size like that don't post newb questions like this.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 01:08:57 AM »
"Only" 19.5"? Ya, sounds a little made up.

I'd recommend squeezing one out thrice daily for the arms in the nu year. Make sure to alternate arms.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 08:42:24 AM »
Loomis didn't give his waist size or body fat percentage so no one here knows if their dealing with the Philsberry DoughBoy or what. Not that he may be misleading,  but a true, cold, measured first thing in the morning with a steel tape 19.5 arm is very rare. Even a true 18 1/2" arm is not that common. And as XL said, that's pretty much a beginners question because by now Loomis should understand how his body reacts and grows from different systems: sets, reps, times a week, etc. There are dozens of succesfull arm building programs out there, really too long to list here. Example: 1 1/2's, 21's, tri sets, giant sets, partials, running the rack, SS's, rest-pause, all day program-every hour, force reps, negatives, etc, etc, etc. Good Luck in your search.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 08:53:20 AM »
all day program-every hour

oK. Has anyone actually tried this one?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:11:08 AM »
Borracho: Yes.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:17:09 AM »

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »
19.5 seems in proportion to those measurments, if anything you need more leg size.

i doubt those are your measurements though, people with size like that don't post newb questions like this.

yeahhhh unless you're really fat we don't believe you. 
:-)

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 12:09:25 PM »
I never said I was at a low bf%. It's the middle of winter, remember ::). I'm definitely not the "pilsbury doughboy" though, lol. Those are my measurements.  I'm a naturally big, stocky guy. I don't think my question was a "newb" question. I wanted to spark a discussion on bringing up lagging bodyparts, thats all. It's not like I claimed 23" arms. If 19.5" on a guy >6' tall is that hard for you all to beleive then you heven't been around much.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »
The point of my question was.....
Have any of you taken a month or 2 to totally concentrate on one bodypart? how did it work out for you?

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »
I'm also trying to bring up my bis along with my calves. My current routine is as follows:

Day 1:bi's, shoulders, calves
Day 2:chest, tris
Day 3:Back & bis, calves
Day 4:Legs

I do 3 on 1 off or 2 on 1 off depending on how I'm feeling. My bicep training will vary; sometimes using straight sets, supersetting, high/low volume. I've been doing this for about a month and have seen decent gains. 

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »
oK. Has anyone actually tried this one?

There was a guy on hear about 2 years ago who did the "All Day" arm thing, 40 year old something?

Anyway, yeah, you get a shitload of blood in there but does it really give you lasting size and if so, maybe like 1/8 inch?

JPM?

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 02:56:15 PM »
I was reading some shock principle at some site called abcbodybuilding.com the other day. It was about Arnold and one of his training partners going out into the woods and squating for 2 hours nonstop or some nonsense like that. After the workout they would have a bbq, get drunk and throw a party.  ::)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »
Add an extra day for just biceps and triceps, then you won't be bothered by already being tired from chest/delt traning
tank u jesus

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »
pictures?

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 08:36:53 PM »

Maybe you should post your current routine.  Suggestions would be much easier if we new what you do now.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 08:59:16 PM »
The point of my question was.....
Have any of you taken a month or 2 to totally concentrate on one bodypart? how did it work out for you?
This is my question >:(

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 06:25:34 AM »
This is my question >:(

If by "concentrating on one body part" you mean neglecting the rest of my body then no.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 06:44:37 AM »
The primary concern when focusing on say arms, is that joints like elbows and shoulders will take a beating if upping the workload.

So a decrease in workload on shoulder and chest work will most likely be necessary.

And this on the condition you are able to not overtrain triceps and biceps, stressing them too much.

You can up the workload on arms, yes.

But you will need to down the amount of work you do on chest and shoulders then.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »
The primary concern when focusing on say arms, is that joints like elbows and shoulders will take a beating if upping the workload.

So a decrease in workload on shoulder and chest work will most likely be necessary.

And this on the condition you are able to not overtrain triceps and biceps, stressing them too much.

You can up the workload on arms, yes.

But you will need to down the amount of work you do on chest and shoulders then.

YIP
Zack
That makes sense.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 05:04:59 AM »
how about trying to like on exersize on a diffrent day so your hitting them twice but not doing a full workout for them..

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 05:15:08 AM »
IMO you can up the arm workload without changing the rest of the program or aggrevating the joints by ensuring that the additional arm workout stays with reps in the 10-15 range, using moderate weights.

If you're worried about working the same muscles too close together you can use a push-pull routine or some other schedule that separates the days more.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 06:43:19 AM »
I've recently been doing arms 2-3 times a week, but obviously i've cut the volume quite a bit.  I think this is an effective strategy for arms and other body parts.
:-)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 07:58:06 AM »
2-3 days a week :o

please tell more on this, like what exercises and what days you do em ?
tank u jesus

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:20 AM »
One word for you:

VOLUME

It worked for me and Lee Priest