Author Topic: i talked to a few highly educated highly paid people i know and i feel discourag  (Read 9564 times)

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
OP, find a profession where it pays to well be a self-defeating whiny masochist and you're set.

TigerStripes

• Getbig III
Without special scholarships or wealthy parents, it is impossible NOT to take out loans. I got no help from my parents, I worked full time and went to college full time and I was a cheap skate and I still had to take out loans. Never went on vacations either.

Going to a university, not just a trade school or a community college, the tuition is far too high.

I got my degree and I only took out 7000$ in loans, got it paid off in a year and a half, no problem.

You just gotta stop being a consumerist, and only buy what you need. Most college students blow money on all kinds of bullshit, even though they claim they are being frugal.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Without special scholarships or wealthy parents, it is impossible NOT to take out loans. I got no help from my parents, I worked full time and went to college full time and I was a cheap skate and I still had to take out loans. Never went on vacations either.

Going to a university, not just a trade school or a community college, the tuition is far too high.

Well, there is joining the military.

If you're willing to get shot at for Uncle Sam, you can ge the post 9/11 GI-Bill.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Most people today think the only path is college. I would bet there are more successful people that don't have any college. It seems to me unless your diploma says outright this is the job you are qualified for it can be a waste of paper to have it.

Plumbers, Electricians, Counter top guys, some car mechanics and carpenters can make a really decent living. I know a hot dog guy that had a constant flow of cars to his little truck. Every body thinks he's making chump change but he is doing fantastic. Another guy has a small pizza store front and lives like a king in a 3000 sq ft house and a really nice car. There are so many other examples.  College isn't the only path. Sometimes it's absolutely foolish to go into crazy debt for a piece of paper that has no value.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Most people today think the only path is college. I would bet there are more successful people that don't have any college. It seems to me unless your diploma says outright this is the job you are qualified for it can be a waste of paper to have it.

Plumbers, Electricians, Counter top guys, some car mechanics and carpenters can make a really decent living. I know a hot dog guy that had a constant flow of cars to his little truck. Every body thinks he's making chump change but he is doing fantastic. Another guy has a small pizza store front and lives like a king in a 3000 sq ft house and a really nice car. There are so many other examples.  College isn't the only path. Sometimes it's absolutely foolish to go into crazy debt for a piece of paper that has no value.

i agree, some of my freinds that make BIG money dont even have high school diplomas, they r good at their trades n know how to rake in the cash 

R

TigerStripes

• Getbig III
A woman I'm fucking right now has 100k in student loan debt and a master's degree. She's now making shit money, broke, and doesn't know what to do to get out of it.

I've also got tons of friends with 30-60k in debt, they can't pay it, lots of them defaulted, their wages are now being garnished and there's no running away from it.

Stay out of debt whatever you do. If you have to go into debt keep it below 10k $. When you meet enough college graduates, you realize they are not making any more money than then people without degrees.

But they are more knowledgeable, have broader horizons, and are more interesting to talk with. That's the real benefit of college, that it enlightens you a lot about the world.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
seems like a lot of these conspiracy theories are just to comfort unsuccessful people

i dont know really

maybe i need to learn how to make pizza and start a pizza delivering business from my apartment

Cswol obviously has plenty of experience working in highly skilled professional environments, as he says, we all need to perform regular homosexual acts on our managers and sometimes Satanic rituals are involved.

I only have a worthless 2 year degree but I've made (low) 6 figures for the last few years, which puts me at lower middle class in this part of the bay area but it's still nice not to have to worry too much about money. I worked my ass off at something for 15 years and got pretty good at it, but also a huge part is knowing the right people and plain dumb luck

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Whether or not you have a college degree (BS, Masters, Doctorate etc.) is not relevant.  What is more important is that you target a career that keeps you happy and allows you to make good money with relative job security.

For instance, think of the following:

A sandhog (urban miner) in New York City makes around 100K with great benefits and a modified retirement outlook (I've heard they get to retire a little earlier due to their work-related exposure). You don't need a college degree for that.

Plumbers make great money when they have their own local businesses. Many times these individuals charge on a cash basis and make out like bandits (yearly income around 100K-150K, sometimes off the books).

Gardening contractors are also known for their great money and flexible work hours.

If you do go to college, target a career that will bring you both money and security. Consider becoming a doctor, nurse, veterinarian, pharmacist, accountant, engineer and/or a lawyer (stick to corporate law).

Remember, that just as they say there are two things certain in life (death and taxes), so as long as death remains a constant, you will always have sick people knocking at its door. With a world's worth of perpetually sick people, doctors, nurses, and pharmacists will always be in demand and so as long as taxes are an inevitability, accountants will always have a job.

Best of luck,
"1"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
A woman I'm fucking right now has 100k in student loan debt and a master's degree. She's now making shit money, broke, and doesn't know what to do to get out of it.

I've also got tons of friends with 30-60k in debt, they can't pay it, lots of them defaulted, their wages are now being garnished and there's no running away from it.

Stay out of debt whatever you do. If you have to go into debt keep it below 10k $. When you meet enough college graduates, you realize they are not making any more money than then people without degrees.

But they are more knowledgeable, have broader horizons, and are more interesting to talk with. That's the real benefit of college, that it enlightens you a lot about the world.

A master's degree in WHAT, minority transsexual chicken clucking?

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
there are many phd and masters degree holders who are unemployed at the moment

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Whether or not you have a college degree (BS, Masters, Doctorate etc.) is not relevant.  What is more important is that you target a career that keeps you happy and allows you to make good money with relative job security.

For instance, think of the following:

A sandhog (urban miner) in New York City makes around 100K with great benefits and a modified retirement outlook (I've heard they get to retire a little earlier due to their work-related exposure). You don't need a college degree for that.

Plumbers make great money when they have their own local businesses. Many times these individuals charge on a cash basis and make out like bandits (yearly income around 100K-150K, sometimes off the books).

Gardening contractors are also known for their great money and flexible work hours.

If you do go to college, target a career that will bring you both money and security. Consider becoming a doctor, nurse, veterinarian, pharmacist, accountant, engineer and/or a lawyer (stick to corporate law).

Remember, that just as they say there are two things certain in life (death and taxes), so as long as death remains a constant, you will always have sick people knocking at its door. With a world's worth of perpetually sick people, doctors, nurses, and pharmacists will always be in demand and so as long as taxes are an inevitability, accountants will always have a job.

Best of luck,
"1"

I disagree with one part. You have the world by the balls if your job makes you happy. If it doesn't make sure it makes you enough money so you can enjoy your life when you are not at work.  To many young people think they have to get into careers that entertain them. It's called work.  I doubt the gastroenterology doctor thinks gee whiz I get to scope another ass hole today but when he drives away in his 150K car to his huge house it's all worth it.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
I disagree with one part. You have the world by the balls if your job makes you happy. If it doesn't make sure it makes you enough money so you can enjoy your life when you are not at work.  To many young people think they have to get into careers that entertain them. It's called work.  I doubt the gastroenterology doctor thinks gee whiz I get to scope another ass hole today but when he drives away in his 150K car to his huge house it's all worth it.

Oldtimer,

I think you actually agree with everything I said. Take a look at the second sentence in that quote, happiness is a crucial element.

We are on the same page!

"1"

TigerStripes

• Getbig III
A master's degree in WHAT, minority transsexual chicken clucking?

She majored in film, she wanted to be part of the whole la movie scene when she was younger.

No she just wants to raise animals and be a farm girl.

Same story as lots of people. You decide a major when you are like 19, then ten years later you are a totally different person and wanna do something different.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
Be an air traffic controller.

Benefits and crazy pay? No education required past highscool? OK.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
You absolutely don't need a masters degree to make a decent living, that is nonsense.

X2
Mr. AZ 2003

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!

Good post.

I went to college and now I want to work in a completely different field.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Yeah bullshit...you dont need an education to make good money!
Mr. AZ 2003

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
I find recent college graduates have a chip on their shoulder. They feel a sense of entitlement to a 100k job as soon as they graduate. Generation nothingness doesn't want to do the hard yards.
P

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I find recent college graduates have a chip on their shoulder. They feel a sense of entitlement to a 100k job as soon as they graduate. Generation nothingness doesn't want to do the hard yards.

I agree but it seems more and more that a college degree is now the high school diploma of the 50's and 60's. No one will hire you without it because the person interviewing you making 40K has their degree.

When my kids were in high school I would get mad when they would come home with college catalogs given by their guidance counselor for schools costing 40K a year. So many of these name Universities cost around 40K. I have 4 kids. I don't have 640K under a mattress in cash.

bigmc

• Getbig V
the op is making excuses

people that cast the blame on the system and make excuses are never successful

shape your own destiny
T

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG

diesel24v

• Getbig II
I really don't know why more people don't get into a skillet trade like the Union Ironworkers, boilermakers, electricians, pipefitters or millwrights, im a union Ironworker I make $37.70/hr and they paid me to go thru the apprenticeship. No such thing as student loans, plus I have great benefits, awesome annuity accounts and vacation funds, and great pension.  We actually need more people in the industrial field right now it's so easy to learn.   Honestly IMO the best trade is Boilermakers or electricians union which is what I'm in process of switching to.  It's worth looking in to. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I really don't know why more people don't get into a skillet trade like the Union Ironworkers, boilermakers, electricians, pipefitters or millwrights, im a union Ironworker I make $37.70/hr and they paid me to go thru the apprenticeship. No such thing as student loans, plus I have great benefits, awesome annuity accounts and vacation funds, and great pension.  We actually need more people in the industrial field right now it's so easy to learn.   Honestly IMO the best trade is Boilermakers or electricians union which is what I'm in process of switching to.  It's worth looking in to. 

Any truth to those Union workers getting laid off quite a bit as they work their way up through the apprenticeship?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Any truth to those Union workers getting laid off quite a bit as they work their way up through the apprenticeship?

I've heard stories that members have to wait around (unpaid) while the union works its way down the list when there are more guys than jobs.  Never been in a union so can't say if it's true.

I'm pro-union in theory but couldn't see sitting by the phone for very long waiting to hear from someone claiming to furter my interests while taking my money and telling me I'm not allowed to go put my skills to work without his say so.  Haha, ok 'boss.'

Most union men I've met look like they could just about climb a flight of stairs if they had to, provided someone else ties their shoelaces because no way can they reach all the way down there.  Never witnessed a union man holding a tool or discussing how to accomplish something productive.  Every conversation I've heard these guys have consists of how they're going to cause someone headaches.

diesel24v

• Getbig II
I can't speak for every local but if you're a good person and actually show up for work everyday then you'll stay working, there is lay offs but a person can stay working if they actually try a little bit.  And then when you top out and finish the apprenticeship you can travel all over, which is what I've done, get to see alot of different places if you really want to and make good money at the same time, also has been really fun meeting new people and training at different gyms!