Author Topic: Alternative back exercise  (Read 3184 times)

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Alternative back exercise
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:47:18 AM »
Aside from deads,rows and wide grip chins, what other excercise is effective for the back ? I am looking for a good back routine with no deads( herniated disk injury)
My current routine uses rows and wide grip chins(5 sets chins; 5 sets rows) . i want some more variation.
I was thinking about T-bar rows and db rows  every alternate back day.
thanks

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Alternative back exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:00:07 AM »
Hyperextensions. Only bodyweight first, after a few workouts, add plate(s).

DB rows are an excellent choice. Make sure NOT to use a belt. That way you will have to keep your abs and lower back tight throughout the set, preventing from getting any injuries. I'd also suggest NOT dropping the DB to the floor when repping, but rather letting it "hang out" the lat.

Good luck.

If I were you, I would have two different strategies: one for those excersises that affects the injuried area, and one for those which doesn't.

Those that affects the injuried area: focus on rehab, lighter loads, higher reps, et al.

Those that doesn't: go heavier, be focused on putting on mass, heavier loads, fewer rep, et al.

Just some suggestions.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:22:13 AM »
Pullovers are excellent, either bent arm or straight with a BB or DB. I prefer bent arm versions with DB's because of less stress on the wrist and elbows. In any event the pullover is a great mass builder but also hit's the pec's, triceps and ab's very strongly. By adding the press off the chest after each rep of pullovers (bent are version) your insuring even greater muscle building qualities.

With due respect to Hedgehog, if your so concerned about a disc problem than I wouldn't do bentover rows for a while but I would include hyperextensions in higher (20 or so), lighter reps. Being sure not to go beyond a parrallel position (even with the body). You do not want to overextend the lower back area. I would also warm-up the lower back area with light GM'ing for 20-30 reps or so before training. Might try Hi-pulls, if these don't put too much of a strain on the lower back for you. If your style is correct it should not. Execellent upper back, trap and rear deltoid builder.

Chins are still a great total back builder but some people use the same hand spacing and become bored with it. Might try different grips, which can even be applied in the same workout, doing one set each. Close curl grip, medium, wide, extra wide, behind the neck, Hammer grips, Chin to lower chest, inner locking finger grips, ect. Even muscle up's are a great back builder. If you can work on a pair of gymnastic rings than do so, a superior piece of equipment for all chinning exercises. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:38:04 AM »
I agree with the previous suggestions, add the following:

-Only once the back is better, add rowing motions. The better ones re: muscle stimulation and reduced back strain are IMO T-bar, hammer rows and 1-arm DB. All of these are easier on the back and more intense than BB rows, IMO. Also try BB rows lying face down on the bench; there is no back strain this way and the lats are further isolated.

-Add DB pullovers and lat machine pulldowns. On pulldowns and chins, vary the grips used.

Any of these can be used for 5 sets each as you're doing, or most of them can be done in the same workout for 3 sets each.

Later if you want to break out of a plateau, superset a rowing and pulldown/chin motion.

IMO deadlifts are inherently dangerous. Stick with hyperextensions once the back is healed, not before.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
pumpster

do you do deads?  rack lifts? or neither?  sometimes i feel as though its just a matter of time where im goin heavy on deads and i hurt my back

cav
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:40:11 PM »
i like this one. take the handle for seated cable rows and put that around the pull up bar.  than do pullups holding the handle with your chest almost coming to the handle.  similar to putting handle on pulldown machine
Valhalla awaits.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
I don't do deads or rack lifts. Of course, there are some who can do these indefinitely and never get hurt, but it's tempting fate IMO. Not recommended; if you have to do them keep the reps in the 15-20 range. Hyperextensions are good, much less traumatic.

I do chins and pulldowns using the triangle/seated row close grip - close or medium grip to the chest works as well as wide-grips in my experience, and are less stressful on the joints.

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »
Aside from deads,rows and wide grip chins, what other excercise is effective for the back ? I am looking for a good back routine with no deads( herniated disk injury)

I also herniated a disc and have to avoid BB deadlifts.  Instead, I do deadlifts on the Hammer Strength shrug machine.  I face away from the machine and grab the upper handles.  The handles being at your side allows you to keep your torso upright during the lift, and takes the strain off the lower back. 

Shinobi

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 03:48:45 AM »
thanks guys, this really helps. You know, I have never really considered single arm-DB rows as being effective(but then again never seriously tried them out, so hell the hell would I know ?)
I think that deads  are just not for me, the load compressed my spine and could've even caused the disk herniation-which btw is in the cervical area.
anyways, many thanks all for the advice.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 05:50:48 AM »
Have you ever tried what I call side pulldowns form a crossover station?Grab the handles & then sit on your knees in the middle of the crossover station.Now, keeping the hands facing upright (towards the ceiling) pull down while bringing your elbows into the sides of your trunk (body).Hold for a sec or two & repeat.Myself, I actually used to angle my hands so my elbows went a little more behind my waist at the lower back.Martinez described these in a MD article a little while back.

SILVERBACK

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 05:25:54 AM »
I'm another with herniated discs.... did two some years ago.

For some time, deadlifting was out of the question but I'm now back into it using a trap-bar. Excellent device, gets the hands in a neutral position at the sides of the body. It perhaps puts more emphasis on the quads than regular deads, but hey I'm proggressing again.

Also, its my personal belief that you should forget about barbell bent rows and t-bar rows. I think both put a weakened spine in a very vulnerable position. Dumbbell rows are an excellent alternative, with the lower back nicely braced.

Just a few thoughts. Either way, you will improve - it just takes a little longer and a little more care...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 10:14:18 AM »
Ya, avoid bent-over BB rows, instead do hammer machine rows, rows face-down on a bench and 1-arm rows. T-bars are another possibility.

T-bar are great & are not nearly as hard on the back because of the difference in angle, from my experience. Doesn't hit the lower back the way BB rows do, depending on the individual.