Author Topic: Belt vs. no belt  (Read 4377 times)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Belt vs. no belt
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:32:57 AM »
Came across an article yesterday in which basicall said not to use a belt while squatting.  At first it struck we wierd because I guess I have always been on the belt side of the fence. 

Basically the reason is that when you wear the belt it puts strain and pressure on your spine.  Then when put weight on, it multiplies.  So theres almost twice the strain on your spine while squatting then if you didn't wear a belt.

Thoughts?

Ledd

• Getbig III
Re: Belt vs. no belt
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:38:02 AM »
So wearing a belt actually puts more strain on your spine?  I dont understand how this is a good thing.  I never wear a belt anyway though.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 08:55:31 AM »
That doesn't really make sense....maybe if you do it wrong....

I like to use a belt on my heavier squats, but that's it.
:-)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:34:37 AM »
Actually more stress will be put upon the ab's and can restrict normal breathing. That's why a lifting belt, super cinched up, should only be used for 2 or 3 max rep's at the most. Lifting belts should not be worn during a complete workout, really no need to. A lot of guy's like wearing them because it can make the waist look smaller and the lats more wider. Vanity reasons only.

If your serious about it than your going to have to get a custom made belt for your body with extra support around the small of the back and even with that you may have to put a folded towel behind there for even more support. Belts are more useful for PL'ers aand Olympic lifters than the regular BB'er.

Lot's of pro's & con's about wearing a belt even during heavy lifts. Take you choice of wearing one or not but in my view there really not needed at all for the support that they are meant to give. Good luck.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
yeah i read in MD sometime that in studies belts were actually worse for your back tha no belts. 

but than again, i bet a year from now they will have the exact same article with the conclusion reversed
Valhalla awaits.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:56:42 PM »
I never wear a belt. I don't feel it's neccesary as I've never reall had any lower-back pain. If I did, I'd consider it.

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 04:56:14 PM »
I used to wear a belt, thinking that because i was tall that i needed extra back support. One time I forgot to bring my belt to workout, and lifted way more weight than with the belt. Turns out the belt was counter productive. Stopped wearing it since that day just over a year ago.  Never had a problem since, just make sure your form is tight!
CEA999

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 05:49:20 AM »
When I started lifting in 1978 everybody wore a belt. Now I see very few people wearing one. I prefer to wear one.
The House that Ruth built

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 09:18:33 AM »
Most belts don't do shit but support you in the upright position. do you really think it is helping your back when you are bent forward slightly doing a squat? the only belts that work are the thick inzer type belts that are so fucking tight you need 400 pounds on your shoulders just to squat down. no reason at all to use one unless you are maxing out and need some "help" or extra "support". the most powerful guys at my gym use them for max attempts only. these guys squat high 600's and dead the same. i haven't used a belt in years and i haven't had any back problems.

8)

Beelzebub

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 06:50:55 AM »
i use an inzer belt on the last 2 sets of squat (basically once i hit over 400+).  can't use one on anything else, especially deadlift.  feels like it's going to break my ribs when i bend over for the start position. 

BigIronMike25

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 08:27:34 AM »
I've always heard, read, and believed that wearing a belt really does make the lower back weaker and more injury-prone!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »
i use an inzer belt on the last 2 sets of squat (basically once i hit over 400+).  can't use one on anything else, especially deadlift.  feels like it's going to break my ribs when i bend over for the start position. 

Thats what I do to and it seems to have been working fine.  Hopefully I will increase the strength in my back and I wont need a belt up to 500 on day, then 600 then I will retire  ;D.  I also didn't wrap it as tight and it seemed to benefit me more.  But it is such a psychological thing to not have it on your heaviest lifts would be hard. 

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »