Author Topic: Need once a week bench program  (Read 2670 times)

small

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Need once a week bench program
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:10:29 PM »
I am looking for a once a week bench program for someone trying to improve their bench.  They will work the other body parts as well during the week but want to only spend one day a week on getting their bench stronger.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Loomis

• Getbig III
Re: Need once a week bench program
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 05:27:17 PM »
5x5 is good for getting your bench up.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 05:32:10 PM »
I am looking for a once a week bench program for someone trying to improve their bench.  They will work the other body parts as well during the week but want to only spend one day a week on getting their bench stronger.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Will he/she work the triceps and shoulders on other days?

If so, here's a one day benchpress layout:

No set to total failure, in other words, there should be no need for a spotter on any set.

sets*reps

Use the same weight on all sets.

Benchpress
6*4
Close grip benchpress
6*4

Do this for 2 months. Then do 8*1-2 in both excersises instead of 6*4 during a 5-6 week period of time. That will peak the 1RM.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 08:38:58 PM »
I suggest that for most of you life you consider working each body part once per week (unless you become a professional)...

secondly try this....

bench 10-12 at a weight that's not very challenging

second add a few pounds (like more than 20) that make 10 close to impossible (if you can't do 10 don't sweat)

next add more (if you did 10 last time try 20 or 30 if the last was easy) shoot for 6 reps, accept 4

next try like 10 lbs more (with a spotter) accept 3 reps

you can modify this depending where you are in a routine

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:24:39 PM »
I don't give a shit what kind of "routine" you use. You won't gain much strength on the bench unless you work on it 2-3 times a week. This is a fact.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:25:55 PM »
I don't give a shit what kind of "routine" you use. You won't gain much strength on the bench unless you work on it 2-3 times a week. This is a fact.
Disagree. I've increased my bench by 105lbs in under 3 years. I bench once a week ;) Different things work for different people though.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 12:31:45 PM »

::)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:00:35 AM »
::)

I agree since i started doing bench twice a week (3 months ago) ive put 25lbs on my 1rpm

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 12:09:48 PM »
assuming a max of 225 lbs:

good warmup
225 lbs: 2 x 5
235 lbs: 2 x 4
245 lbs: 1 x 3

obviously, you will need a spotter for every single working set

do NOT do this program for more than 6 weeks (usually 4 weeks is fine)

try to increase poundages as the weeks go by so that by the end of the 4th week you may try
235 lbs: 2 x 5
245 lbs: 2 x 4
255 lbs: 1 x 3

bigdoggym

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »
Once a week with Incline DB's  and Flat DB's heavy made my bench go up.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 08:38:59 AM »
fucking dumbass, 2-3 times a week is a sure trip to getting your bench weaker, train the bench once per week and eat like a horse, extra bodyweight helps on the bench press.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »
As we all know not everyone is swimming in the same gene pool. What works for one guy may not work for anyone else or the other way around. Some of my Bud's and I had good results with, for example, heavy benching on monday and doing heavy dips and PBN on thursdays.  For a  breaking of any sticking point or a rapid increase on benching, than partial's from the three positions (dead stop) resting on the pins in a power rack, usually once or twice a week may do the trick. If progress is somewhat slower than expected than scale back to once a week or to the extreme, once every 9 days.  Also had luck with GVT (10X10's) once or twice a week. Good Luck.