Author Topic: Scientists Discover How Fish Oil Protects the Brain  (Read 8098 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Scientists Discover How Fish Oil Protects the Brain
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:14:27 AM »
Scientists Discover how Fish Oil Protects the Brain

Louisiana State University scientists say they have discovered how the fatty acids found in fish oil help protect the human brain from the type of cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer's disease.

Their study shows that docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an omega-3 fatty acid found in coldwater fish such as mackerel, sardines and salmon, reduces levels of a protein known to cause damaging plaques in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

What's more, the researchers discovered that a derivative of DHA, which they dubbed "neuroprotectin D1" (NPD1), is made in the human brain. That natural substance plays a key role, too, in protecting the brain from cell death, the study showed.

"Now what does this tell us from the point of view of the disease? I believe that, obviously, diet is a major issue here," said Dr. Nicolas G. Bazan, director of the Neuroscience Center of Excellence at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans.

"DHA is an essential building block for the structure of brain cells," he noted. "And now we are finding that this building block also makes a 'golden brick' (NPD1) that helps the life of the neurons to continue."

Greg M. Cole, associate director of the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center at the University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, said the study "provides strong evidence" that NPD1 offers "several important protective contributions."

The study was released online Sept. 8, in advance of its Oct. 1 publication in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Bazan, who is currently staying in Philadelphia, had been in Poland to give the opening lecture at a meeting on neurodegenerative diseases when Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans. So far, he said, he has re-established contact with about half of the roughly 115 people who work at the LSU neuroscience center.

Due to the state of emergency in New Orleans, the center won't resume work until perhaps late November or early December, interrupting what Bazan calls the most exciting period in his scientific career.

Indeed, while previous studies have suggested that DHA reduces the risk of Alzheimer's-related cognitive deficits, scientists haven't explored how the fatty acid may work its protective magic.

Some 4.5 million Americans have Alzheimer's disease, according to the Alzheimer's Association. If no cure is found, as many as 16 million could have the disease by 2050, as the population ages.

Bazan and colleagues at LSU and Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston conducted a series of experiments. Some of the testing involved postmortem human brain samples harvested from six patients who had Alzheimer's disease and an equal number of age-matched "control" samples from people who did not have the disease.

The researchers also used technology called tandem mass spectrometry to analyze changes within brain cells.

Studies show DHA is highly concentrated in the brain and retina of the eye. In earlier research, Bazan's team discovered that NPD1 is produced in cells that are critical for vision. They wondered whether the brain might do the same.

"And the human brain, sure enough, makes neuroprotectin D1," Bazan found.

Cole, the UCLA researcher, noted: "This study also shows that both DHA and its NPD1 product are effective in treating human brain cells and reducing the inflammation and toxicity from a toxin called beta amyloid that is widely believed to cause Alzheimer's."

The researchers also examined specific areas of the brains of people with Alzheimer's, including an area critical to memory formation and cognition. "And that area shows huge -- I mean 20-, 25-fold -- decreases in neuroprotectin D1, as compared with other areas in the same human brain," Bazan said.

Furthermore, in cell studies designed to mimic the effects of aging, the team found that adding DHA reduced the secretion of toxic beta amyloid proteins and, at the same time, spurred production of NPD1.

"We are concluding that neuroprotectin D1 induces a gene expression program that is neuroprotective, meaning that it promotes survival of brain cells," Bazan said. And that discovery, he added, could one day lead to the development of a new treatment to slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

For now, though, people should pursue a nutritional approach to warding off Alzheimer's and diminishing the effects of the disease.

Since DHA sources are safe, cheap, available and clinically proven to fight heart disease, the nation's number one killer, Cole said he would advise families of Alzheimer's patients to make sure their loved ones get the minimum recommended DHA from their diet or supplements. Experts recommend 200 to 300 milligrams per day, a far greater amount than the 60 to 80 milligrams daily that Americans typically get in their diet, he noted.

SOURCES: Nicolas G. Bazan, M.D., Ph.D., director, Neuroscience Center of Excellence, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans; Greg M. Cole, Ph.D., associate director, Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles; Alzheimer's Association, Chicago; Oct. 1, 2005, Journal of Clinical Investigation

Hope That Helps,

w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Scientists Discover How Fish Oil Protects the Brain
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:16:51 AM »
The body can make DHA out of regular Omega-3 oil.

So no need to drink fish oil.

Stick with the regular cheap flax seed oil instead.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

blaster

• Getbig III
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:25:52 AM »
Apparently supplementing with fish oil also helps the liver perform fat metabolism more efficiently therefore you will lose fat even without a diet change, assuming you are not eating KFC all day, every day. I'm testing it now as I have a multivitamin which is specially made with fish oil.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 04:53:25 AM »
That sounds cool, what um supplement do you take for Fish Oil? I eat really clean, but I think I could use the help.

Fish oil is fish oil. ;)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:37:29 AM »
The body can make DHA out of regular Omega-3 oil.

So no need to drink fish oil.

Stick with the regular cheap flax seed oil instead.

YIP
Zack

Hate to disagree with you Hedgie  :-* but....
Yes, BUT the conversion rate is VERY small and VERY ineffecient. 
Stick with fish oil.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 07:41:16 AM »
Apparently supplementing with fish oil also helps the liver perform fat metabolism more efficiently therefore you will lose fat even without a diet change, assuming you are not eating KFC all day, every day. I'm testing it now as I have a multivitamin which is specially made with fish oil.

I will guarantee there's not nearly enough fish oil (EPA/DHA) in that product to make a difference.
:

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 08:59:06 AM »

Hate to disagree with you Hedgie  :-* but....
Yes, BUT the conversion rate is VERY small and VERY ineffecient.
Stick with fish oil.

Agreed.  Although this bit about it protecting the brain is old news...
:-)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 01:17:30 PM »
Agreed.  Although this bit about it protecting the brain is old news...

Yes, and more and more studies are coming out to prove it.  They're even starting to put DHA in baby formula (essential for brain development) Fish oil (the DHA part) has been shown to help with all sorts of neurological disorders ~ Parkinsons, Alzheimers, ADD, ADHD, Dimentia, depression, Schizophrenia, dyslexia.  The thing is tho, is that the quantity used to treat those things is much higher than just the regular health maintenance dose.  We (healthy adults) should be taking 3-6 grams/day.  When you start getting into bigger issues, more is needed.  It's recommended to start with 10 grams for brain disorders.  That's the level studies are showing as effective. 
:

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »
Yes, and more and more studies are coming out to prove it.  They're even starting to put DHA in baby formula (essential for brain development) Fish oil (the DHA part) has been shown to help with all sorts of neurological disorders ~ Parkinsons, Alzheimers, ADD, ADHD, Dimentia, depression, Schizophrenia, dyslexia.  The thing is tho, is that the quantity used to treat those things is much higher than just the regular health maintenance dose.  We (healthy adults) should be taking 3-6 grams/day.  When you start getting into bigger issues, more is needed.  It's recommended to start with 10 grams for brain disorders.  That's the level studies are showing as effective. 

What? 3-6 grams?
Where do you get those numbers? I hope you didnt pluck them from a fish-oil salesman.
I alwas heard 1 gram should do the trick.
$

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
That sounds cool, what um supplement do you take for Fish Oil? I eat really clean, but I think I could use the help.

Benfun7,

I use a product  called "Body Guard" by Synergy. I also sell it as well.

I do not share the opinion that "fish oil is fish oil". Some oils come from fish such as swordfish, king mackerel etc., which can be highly contaminated with mercury and or other toxins.

The oils in "Body Guard", are derived from the livers of deep ocean cold water sharks caught for food purposes only. In addition, Body Guard contains Alkylglycerols, the same immune protective constituents found in mother's milk. It is within the liver of deep-water sharks where Alkylglycerols are found in greater concentration, than any other place on earth.

To learn more about this product, feel free to PM me, email me or visit this link for more "Body Guard" information.

You can also download a pdf fact sheet about Body Guard here.

Hope That Helps,
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 09:52:27 PM »
What? 3-6 grams?
Where do you get those numbers?
  Scientific studies.
I alwas heard 1 gram should do the trick.
  Depends why you're taking it.  1 gram  has not been used to test with.  I believe 2.5 grams is the minimum amt used in the heart and cholesterol studies.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 10:39:51 PM »
Benfun7,

I use a product  called "Body Guard" by Synergy. I also sell it as well.

I do not share the opinion that "fish oil is fish oil". Some oils come from fish such as swordfish, king mackerel etc., which can be highly contaminated with mercury and or other toxins.

The oils in "Body Guard", are derived from the livers of deep ocean cold water sharks caught for food purposes only. In addition, Body Guard contains Alkylglycerols, the same immune protective constituents found in mother's milk. It is within the liver of deep-water sharks where Alkylglycerols are found in greater concentration, than any other place on earth.

To learn more about this product, feel free to PM me, email me or visit this link for more "Body Guard"[/b][/color] information.

You can also download a pdf fact sheet about Body Guard here[/b][/color].

Hope That Helps,

This product does not appear to be an omega 3 fish oil (EPA/DHA) supplement. 
High quality fish oil generally comes from fish body oils (sardines, mackeral, etc.) not fish liver
.  I'm sure there is some EPA & DHA in it, but apparently not enough to be recognized on the product label.
:

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 10:41:11 PM »
I take 8  1000mg gelcaps of fish oil a day is that good.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 10:45:05 PM »
   Probably, but it depends on what's in the caps.   How much EPA/DHA ?
:

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 11:26:19 PM »

This product does not appear to be an omega 3 fish oil (EPA/DHA) supplement. 
High quality fish oil generally comes from fish body oils (sardines, mackeral, etc.) not fish liver
.  I'm sure there is some EPA & DHA in it, but apparently not enough to be recognized on the product label.

Princess, the gif is somewhat misleading, but I'm looking at the actual bottle right now, and it clearly states on the product label, in addition to what is shown in the gif:

Other Ingredients: Gelatin, glycerin, and water.

Naturally contains: EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), DHA (docosahexanoic acid), squalene.

I would scan it, except the bottle is round and my scanner doesn't do 3D, the old one does but doesn't work with XP.

Hope That Clarifies,
w

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 05:13:57 AM »
So somehow we go from the study posted above which stated salmon, mackerel and sardines, to now shark liver oil.  I can appreciate the exotic value of "deep ocean cold water sharks ", but I hardly believe its worth its price compared to something a little less pretentious one could buy at GNC or bodybuilding.com or even from Judi for that matter.  But hey to each their own, but  $90  a bottle compared to less than $10 for the normal stuff is quite a leap.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:16:58 AM »
Princess it has 180mg of EPA per capsules and 120mg of DHA per capsules

Damian

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »

Carlson's is a great brand and they have been around for years.

Also check out www.nordicnaturals.com

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2005, 10:24:31 PM »
So somehow we go from the study posted above which stated salmon, mackerel and sardines, to now shark liver oil.  I can appreciate the exotic value of "deep ocean cold water sharks ", but I hardly believe its worth its price compared to something a little less pretentious one could buy at GNC or bodybuilding.com or even from Judi for that matter.  But hey to each their own, but  $90  a bottle compared to less than $10 for the normal stuff is quite a leap.

:o Wow dude, ...$90 a bottle for shark liver oil?
Where did you come up with that figure? Not my product.
w

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2005, 06:50:07 AM »

Shark liver oil gives you ferocity and sharp teeth! Rarr!
:-)

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 08:32:17 AM »
Where did you come up with that figure? Not my product.
Not sure what website it was, I just googled the product name and went to the first matching site.  Obviously you've got a better deal?

asiasbitch

• Getbig II
  • Uh-huh...
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 01:15:33 PM »
You cannot buy fresh fish oil. If it smells like fish, it is already spoiling. Note sushi. If that stank, you'd pass on it. Eat your fish fresh, get all the oil that way and then turn to a good essential fat blend like Udo's Oil or Lemmon's Oil. You cannot get all you need from once source and "allowing" the body to produce something from anything else only depletes the system on top of being deficient to begin with...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 09:12:44 PM »
Eat your fish fresh, get all the oil that way and then turn to a good essential fat blend like Udo's Oil or Lemmon's Oil. You cannot get all you need from once source and "allowing" the body to produce something from anything else only depletes the system on top of being deficient to begin with...

Agreeing with what you just said, then UDO's or Lemmon's would NOT be good choices. 
Stick with fish oil.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 09:17:27 PM »

Princess it has 180mg of EPA per capsules and 120mg of DHA per capsules

Should be good.  There are some caps out there with higher EPA/ DHA per cap, so you wouldn' t have to take so many.

This looks like something new in the NOW line http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3057
NOW is considered to be a good line of supps btw...

:

asiasbitch

• Getbig II
  • Uh-huh...
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 09:22:23 AM »

Agreeing with what you just said, then UDO's or Lemmon's would NOT be good choices. 
Stick with fish oil.

You obviously do not realize both those oils are sources of several different EFA's and Omega-3's...

Your best bet would be to study the research in person, rather than reading online material or magazine ads and taking it for gospel.

Stepping into an actual lab to do the work personally will help too, if you have access.