Author Topic: Schwarzenegger Tells Hometown to Terminate Stadium Name  (Read 6971 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Schwarzenegger Tells Hometown to Terminate Stadium Name
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:42:10 AM »
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday told officials in his hometown in Austria to remove his name from a sports stadium and stop using his identity to promote the city.

With officials in his Austrian homeland poised to strip his name from the local soccer stadium, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sought to beat them to it Monday, sending an indignant letter demanding that his name be removed by year's end.

Politicians in the city of Graz had begun a petition drive to rename the stadium following Schwarzenegger's decision to allow the execution last week of Stanley Tookie Williams. The governor's refusal to grant clemency to the convicted murderer of four sparked outrage across Europe and revived an on-again, off-again effort in Graz to drop his name from the stadium.

In his letter, Schwarzenegger said he had heard that the Graz City Council planned to order his name removed on Jan. 19. The stadium, which seats 15,400, has carried Schwarzenegger's name since 1997.

Schwarzenegger also wrote that he was revoking his permission for Graz to use his name in any advertising campaigns that promote the city, located 10 minutes from his hometown village of Thal.

Mentioning a separate proposal to rescind the award of a "ring of honor" that was given to him in 1999, Schwarzenegger said in the letter that he does not want the ring any more and had sent it back.

"Since … the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me," Schwarzenegger wrote. "It is already in the mail."

Schwarzenegger's letter suggests that more executions may be coming. Another death row inmate, Clarence Ray Allen, 75, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Jan. 17.

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," he wrote. "In order to spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the … stadium. You will receive related correspondence from my legal counsel shortly."

Schwarzenegger wrote the letter himself in German. It was faxed Monday to Graz Mayor Siegfried Nagl, who could not be reached for comment. The letter was translated into English by a press aide to the governor, Katherine McLane.

007Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Get Huge!
Re: Schwarzenegger Tells Hometown to Terminate Stadium Name
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 03:10:15 AM »
Instead of using Arnolds name ,,maybe they can use that ex bodybuilder's name who was on Son of the Beach

Slick Vic

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 03:29:49 AM »
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday told officials in his hometown in Austria to remove his name from a sports stadium and stop using his identity to promote the city.

With officials in his Austrian homeland poised to strip his name from the local soccer stadium, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sought to beat them to it Monday, sending an indignant letter demanding that his name be removed by year's end.

Politicians in the city of Graz had begun a petition drive to rename the stadium following Schwarzenegger's decision to allow the execution last week of Stanley Tookie Williams. The governor's refusal to grant clemency to the convicted murderer of four sparked outrage across Europe and revived an on-again, off-again effort in Graz to drop his name from the stadium.

In his letter, Schwarzenegger said he had heard that the Graz City Council planned to order his name removed on Jan. 19. The stadium, which seats 15,400, has carried Schwarzenegger's name since 1997.

Schwarzenegger also wrote that he was revoking his permission for Graz to use his name in any advertising campaigns that promote the city, located 10 minutes from his hometown village of Thal.

Mentioning a separate proposal to rescind the award of a "ring of honor" that was given to him in 1999, Schwarzenegger said in the letter that he does not want the ring any more and had sent it back.

"Since … the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me," Schwarzenegger wrote. "It is already in the mail."

Schwarzenegger's letter suggests that more executions may be coming. Another death row inmate, Clarence Ray Allen, 75, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Jan. 17.

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," he wrote. "In order to spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the … stadium. You will receive related correspondence from my legal counsel shortly."

Schwarzenegger wrote the letter himself in German. It was faxed Monday to Graz Mayor Siegfried Nagl, who could not be reached for comment. The letter was translated into English by a press aide to the governor, Katherine McLane.
Man, what is going on here with Arnold.  :-\

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 05:35:21 AM »
Its simple whats going on with Arnold

He's making (correct) decisions and as usual there are downfalls to such decisions.

And in true terminator form he has turned the tables on the bitches.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 05:50:59 AM »
Instead of using Arnolds name ,,maybe they can use that ex bodybuilder's name who was on Son of the Beach

Roland Kickinger.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:03:05 AM »

and for the icing on the cake:

he is mailing back the ring the city gave him...

my advice: dont piss this guy off

>:(

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:12:12 AM »
who is tookie wearing a suit ? 

lol  i meant   why is he wearing a suit?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 06:39:12 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 06:55:57 AM »
Hard to blame Arnold, the stadium name should have some degree of permanence to have meaning. Withdrawing the name shouldn't be contingent on politics.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:31 AM »
who cares
$

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:32:23 AM »
As if Arnold want anything to do with that stadium
I am a mini beast

Mydavid

• Getbig V
  • thankd dweetir :)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 07:40:25 AM »

Roland? I'm sure he is just as famous... ;)

Lisa

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 08:02:08 AM »
Waldheim Stadium has a nice ring to it.

Alexander Sturm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »
Andreas Münzer would be great. He was also from Styria

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 01:56:42 PM »
Why do they care that  the founder of one of the most ruthless gangs in this country got executed?  I'm sick of hearing about Tookie in my own country let alone hearing about how some bumblefuck Austrian town is disowning Arnold because of him.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 02:06:33 PM »
did yugo to the tookie memorial service ?

Alexander Sturm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »
I´m sure you know a lot about Graz and Austria.  ::)

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 02:54:10 PM »
I find it odd that the city would be so vocal about this.  The Gov. probably knew he'd have to make tough decisions but these matters of life and death are something you don't count on.  Are you sure this is true?...it just seems odd.  It wasn't Arnie who tried and convicted this man, nor did he execute him.  That's what the legal system is for, and for them to think of him as some Pontius Pilate to save Tookie's life is very small minded and wrong in my opinion. 

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 02:56:55 PM »
I find it odd that the city would be so vocal about this.  The Gov. probably knew he'd have to make tough decisions but these matters of life and death are something you don't count on.  Are you sure this is true?...it just seems odd.  It wasn't Arnie who tried and convicted this man, nor did he execute him.  That's what the legal system is for, and for them to think of him as some Pontius Pilate to save Tookie's life is very small minded and wrong in my opinion. 
Exactly.

Alexander Sturm

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 03:00:24 PM »
I`m from Austria and in my opinion it`s none of our business. But probably in Austria we have no other problems than the name of a stadium.

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »
You seem not to realize that most Europeans are adamantly against the death penalty, as am I. No European countries have the death penalty in the year 2005.
F**k Arnold. He isn't wanted in his home country no mo'.  >:(
Lee

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 03:08:27 PM »
Europe practiced the death penalty enough in the past it is about time they take some time off

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 03:10:54 PM »
I think it's great.

Both that they took a stand against him, and that he himself showed that he doesn't want anything to do with Graz in the future.

These politicians of Graz for once showed some balls, took the consequences of their political beliefs.

And so did Arnold.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 03:14:48 PM »
Europe practiced the death penalty enough in the past it is about time they take some time off
This is true. Europe knows well the consequences of state-sponsored murder run amok.
Lee

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 03:24:08 PM »
I think it's great.

Both that they took a stand against him, and that he himself showed that he doesn't want anything to do with Graz in the future.

These politicians of Graz for once showed some balls, took the consequences of their political beliefs.

And so did Arnold.

YIP
Zack

....but why should the politicians of Graz decide that it's greatest hero's name be removed from a stadium?  What do the people have to say?  Arnold is not the reason Tookie is dead, Tookie is (was)...to blame Arnold for this is a slap in the face to the man who made the name 'Graz' known around the world.  What a shame.