Author Topic: Saying "Good Morning" is Strange?  (Read 5447 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Re: Saying "Good Morning" is Strange?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
Some reason, I never liked the good morning phrase it takes me awhile to wake up, so hearing any voice with in a hour no matter what irritates me anyone the same?

x2

another thing i can't stand is when my mom would ask "how my day was" or 5 million other questions and then when i tell her "enough with it" she gets all hurt and says "i just wanted to show im interested in your life".  ::)  show some care by sparing me your asinine game of 20 questions.  i swear she doesn't even notice when she's asked me "was there much traffic" for the 3rd time.

I'd like to start a national "ban small talk" movement. I'm considering getting a T shirt that says "You don't care how I'm doing and I really don't care how you're doing so let's just skip that part and get down to business"

It would shock the hell out of someone if I actually started to tell them how I'm doing. Meaningless chit chat in the morning .. I don't get it. And I worked evenings for 10 yrs and we didn't come into work telling each other "Good Evening " all night long when we pass someone so why is morning so special?

;D   

x2

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
As a kid, my mother asking me how my day was, was a set up. Because she had her "birdies" (aka spies) that told her about what I did that day. So, I couldn't defeat this "spy network" by telling her half-truths, or vague answers

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
As a kid, my mother asking me how my day was, was a set up. Because she had her "birdies" (aka spies) that told her about what I did that day. So, I couldn't defeat this "spy network" by telling her half-truths, or vague answers

that's another thing i hate!  half the time she would use this information to get me in trouble with my dad.  i honestly think she didnt even realize what she was doing, she would just blab on and then i'd get a stern-talking to later.  and then she couldn't understand why i wouldn't want to tell her anything...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
x2

another thing i can't stand is when my mom would ask "how my day was" or 5 million other questions and then when i tell her "enough with it" she gets all hurt and says "i just wanted to show im interested in your life".  ::)  show some care by sparing me your asinine game of 20 questions.  i swear she doesn't even notice when she's asked me "was there much traffic" for the 3rd time.

x2

What you are talking about cephissus is irritation and repetition,
 it's unnecessary I mean if you live to 80 how times have you heard that shit?. We are all taught to be "puppets" fuck that noise. I don't want to hear good morning or good night just live.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
that's another thing i hate!  half the time she would use this information to get me in trouble with my dad.  i honestly think she didnt even realize what she was doing, she would just blab on and then i'd get a stern-talking to later.  and then she couldn't understand why i wouldn't want to tell her anything...
at least you got a stern talking to, I got a warm behind, if said info was not to the liking of The Prison Guards (parents)...
Sucks when your mother is a teacher.
What you are talking about cephissus is irritation and repetition,
 it's unnecessary I mean if you live to 80 how times have you heard that shit?. We are all taught to be "puppets" fuck that noise. I don't want to hear good morning or good night just live.
Hahaha! Good night...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
at least you got a stern talking to, I got a warm behind, if said info was not to the liking of The Prison Guards (parents)...
Sucks when your mother is a teacher.Hahaha! Good night...
Teachers are rigid and want everyone to adhere to same "Herd principle" the Bison all ran off the same cliff following each other.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
I mean mug everyone and make them look away first.  If they don't look away I fight them.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
Everyone in my office greets each other with "Good Morning' or some similar greeting on a daily basis.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
I would say "hello" or "how are you" to pretty much everyone when I come in work in the morning. I don't say "good morning" but always respond.

Anyone I make eye contact with I at least smmile and acknowledge them when when walking through my building.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »
No one says it anymore, and when you do, people look at you strange.
I said it this morning, and people had a confused look on their face...

I also notice that, in the office, saying it to the 35 and under females, they will not speak...but if you don't say a word, then they will be the ones to initiate the "Good morning"...
You know, I was raised, that you speak when spoken to...

Strange how manners, and being "happy" has all but disappeared in today's world...

I dislike when I say 'good morning' to people without hearing a word from them. I also hate whem im riding my bike for example, minding my own business..and see someone I know in the car, I always sign to them, like greeting but pretend they had not seen me. I have actually stopped being a 'nice guy', I never greet people and when I do, its only because the did first.

LWGA

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 02:05:19 AM »

I don't know you, but you come across an educated, well adjusted and relatively successful person.  I'd suspect your mother's concern for your youth had a lot to do with that.  This is a HUGE problem in the black community (I'm assuming you're black).  Many parents simply do not care about the things that matter most in their kid's lives.

By the way, I agree with you on the "Good Morning" thing.  I'm older than most here.  Perhaps that's why I see it as a bit strange if you don't acknowledge someone.  Especially if it's just the two of you passing in the hallway.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »
I've said good morning to several people at work and the response I get is ....What's so good about it?

Makes you think....

i'd like to receive a "good morning" from ya stud

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 03:42:52 AM »
honestly some people r sincere about it when they say it but most people do it cause its the polite thing to do, i just say (hows everything) n leave it at that
R

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:34 AM »
I don't know you, but you come across an educated, well adjusted and relatively successful person.  I'd suspect your mother's concern for your youth had a lot to do with that.  This is a HUGE problem in the black community (I'm assuming you're black).  Many parents simply do not care about the things that matter most in their kid's lives.

By the way, I agree with you on the "Good Morning" thing.  I'm older than most here.  Perhaps that's why I see it as a bit strange if you don't acknowledge someone.  Especially if it's just the two of you passing in the hallway.
Thanks, my mother was a teacher who knew my teachers and the staff, so every thing I did was noted...
And yes, she was very concerned...today many parents could give a damn...there are parents (mostly moms) who have additional bathrooms added on to the house, just so the kid doesn't interfere with "their lives" (love life).

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2013, 03:58:47 AM »

I also notice that, in the office, saying it to the 35 and under females, they will not speak...but if you don't say a word, then they will be the ones to initiate the "Good morning"...

Strange how manners, and being "happy" has all but disappeared in today's world...

Excellent post!  I had this discussion with a friend about some of the girls at a clinic I work at.  Given I was raised in the South, it's natural to greet people, even the ones I don't like.  But some of them act like you are trying to hit on them or something, when it's nothing more than a "Good Morning" and "Have a Good Day".   

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2013, 04:05:05 AM »
Excellent post!  I had this discussion with a friend about some of the girls at a clinic I work at.  Given I was raised in the South, it's natural to greet people, even the ones I don't like.  But some of them act like you are trying to hit on them or something, when it's nothing more than a "Good Morning" and "Have a Good Day".   
Exactly!!
At a job I used to work at, I stopped speaking, to see what would happen, and instead they (the women) would then initiate the "hey how was your day"...
as you said, it's nothing more than a courtesy...where my mother was raised, people still wave at you when you drive by, or greet one another. In fact, it's bad manners not to speak when you are spoken too. 

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
When I walk into the office I say,

You look like shit.

Hope this helps.
P

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2013, 04:10:57 AM »
When I walk into the office I say,

You look like shit.

Hope this helps.

actually, you're full of shit.  too many fine ferns for that.  it's more like you have sheep drool and crust around the mouth in the morning.  :o

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2013, 04:15:32 AM »
Excellent post!  I had this discussion with a friend about some of the girls at a clinic I work at.  Given I was raised in the South, it's natural to greet people, even the ones I don't like.  But some of them act like you are trying to hit on them or something, when it's nothing more than a "Good Morning" and "Have a Good Day".  
Well G women are always being "hit on for sex" so they are on defense most all the time. I always just make eye contact and say nothing unless they say "hello or good morning" or whatever then respond to them.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 04:16:16 AM »

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 04:18:02 AM »
Where I work most people say good morning. 

I hear America is leading the world in depression and depression medication, maybe that has something to do with it?

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:48 AM »
Where I work most people say good morning. 

I hear America is leading the world in depression and depression medication, maybe that has something to do with it?

America, the land of depressions.

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »

All my colleagues are females aged from 17 to mid 60s. I say good morning to all of them and they all reply enthusiastically with the same. May help I'm the only male...

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 04:22:42 AM »
All my colleagues are females aged from 17 to mid 60s. I say good morning to all of them and they all reply enthusiastically with the same. May help I'm the only male...

Maybe they see you as one of the girls.

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 04:26:48 AM »
Maybe they see you as one of the girls.

Probably, hence why they feel comfortable including me in their bitching about one another.