Author Topic: Low carb fried chicken  (Read 4896 times)

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
Low carb fried chicken
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:03:13 PM »
Tired of plain chicken? I was looking for flour alternatives and I found some almond flour at the grocery store. I made an egg wash with egg and heavy cream and coated the chicken in the almond flour with some garlic and paprika. Fried in extra virgin olive oil. It's much better than eating plain chicken and much lower carbs than regular flour.
S

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Low carb fried chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
Somebody on here also used to use coconut oil to make fried chicken; said it was good.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
Tired of plain chicken? I was looking for flour alternatives and I found some almond flour at the grocery store. I made an egg wash with egg and heavy cream and coated the chicken in the almond flour with some garlic and paprika. Fried in extra virgin olive oil. It's much better than eating plain chicken and much lower carbs than regular flour.

Somebody on here also used to use coconut oil to make fried chicken; said it was good.

Olive oil is not a good choice for frying.  It has a low smoke point.  Coconut oil would be a much better choice, yielding crispier chicken.
:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »
Olive oil is not a good choice for frying.  It has a low smoke point.  Coconut oil would be a much better choice, yielding crispier chicken.

It must be raining.

:)

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »

I am taking it that you are looking for an alternative for the breading, not the oil. You are going to think I am crazy but the only thing I use for breading now is finely ground up pork rinds. Pork rinds have zero carbs and make killer breading. I mostly do it on chicken but have pan fried pork chops and shrimp as well with it. The salt on the pork rinds gives it enough flavor that you do not have to salt your food after cooking. Try it and let me know what you think.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
You had me at fried chicken.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Almond flour is very expensive.  For this purpose, no so much, but for baking or other flour based cooking (waffles, pancakes), it can be very costly.
:

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
Yes, I tried almond flour as breading before, it is delicous! I am allergic to wheat (no gluten intolerance), so I have tried some alternative breadings for chicken and pork.

You might als like to use dessicated coconut and/or sesame seeds as breading.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
Almond flour is very expensive.  For this purpose, no so much, but for baking or other flour based cooking (waffles, pancakes), it can be very costly.
Yes, almond flour is quite expensive. Unfortunately you can not replace 'normal' flour by only almond flour. The batter won't make waffles or pancakes, but stays a slurry. So you would still have to add a lot of carby flour to your batter mix... :(

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 01:48:54 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. And racist thread reported.  ;)