Author Topic: 'PHAT' training protocol.  (Read 6309 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
'PHAT' training protocol.
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
Anyone ever tried layne nortons phat protocol? Looks pretty interesting.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
Re: 'PHAT' training protocol.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:15 AM »
Just started it last week.  I like the principles behind it.  I take off an extra day so i'm hitting the muscles twice in 8 days. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Just started it last week.  I like the principles behind it.  I take off an extra day so i'm hitting the muscles twice in 8 days. 
let us know your results

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I will.  I'm kinda at a plateau, so it'll be interesting to see if I can get stronger and put on a little more muscle.

prizm

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »
It's just basically the Westside template from powerlifting.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Not being familiar with PHAT or Layne Norton  (don't follow the BB'ing subculture that much) , did a search. Am familiar with the slang term.

Just looks like the old heavy-light training (one of the names of it), which a lot of power BB'ers and some power lifters (as mentioned by prizm) use for training. Some Olympic lifters on occasion also. Probably been in use since before the 1950's, at lease. So Layne Norton, or anyone else, doesn't have a patten on this style training. It does have a value for a lot of folks, but than again not every protocol works the same for everyone. Most athletes train this way or a version of it.

I understand guy's new to weight training, or with less experience in lifting, may have just discovered this training method...which can be a good thing. Worth a shot, though Norton's workouts may be a little too intense for some at first. So might ease into it, at first. This type training (basic heavy-light, form of wave training, etc) has been successfully for many men. Usually is cycled during a training year. Good Luck.
F

sexpert

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
Not being familiar with PHAT or Layne Norton  (don't follow the BB'ing subculture that much) , did a search. Am familiar with the slang term.

Just looks like the old heavy-light training (one of the names of it), which a lot of power BB'ers and some power lifters (as mentioned by prizm) use for training. Some Olympic lifters on occasion also. Probably been in use since before the 1950's, at lease. So Layne Norton, or anyone else, doesn't have a patten on this style training. It does have a value for a lot of folks, but than again not every protocol works the same for everyone. Most athletes train this way or a version of it.

I understand guy's new to weight training, or with less experience in lifting, may have just discovered this training method...which can be a good thing. Worth a shot, though Norton's workouts may be a little too intense for some at first. So might ease into it, at first. This type training (basic heavy-light, form of wave training, etc) has been successfully for many men. Usually is cycled during a training year. Good Luck.
  ??? ::) ::)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »
Yo Donny, what's up??? Can I expect another PM from you...hoping!
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
Yo Donny, what's up??? Can I expect another PM from you...hoping!
you're Gay :-\

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
2 weeks done and so far I like the program.  Definitely getting stronger in all my lifts, especially legs.  It's only been 2 weeks but i think I look a little bigger too.  Didn't switch my diet at all.  I like the mindset of lifting heavy in the beginning of the week and going for more of a pump at the end.  I take an extra rest day off too, so i'm hitting each muscle twice in 8 days.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
what is old is new again once more, we used to call that system beatles[music group ] training guess why? weider had an article in the 60's how the training week should be eight days as opposed to the normal 7 day week.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
Yeah, what goes around comes around.

Always a good idea to learn a little about BB'ing history and even the old time strongmen. Can learn a lot from those lifting pioneers. Some how old forgotten training systems have a way of sneaking back into the main BB'ing training ideas, again & again. Quite a few training systems go by other names around the country (and world). Which can only add to the confusion with exercises and training methods.

There's even a 9 day training cycle. See some guy's doing the full body workout thing, so maybe that will be more popular again...who really knows (short, intense workouts). Kettle bells were big stuff, for awhile, now not so much......probably those strained wrist & elbows had something to do with that and how some guy's really didn't know how to use them the right way.

Funk51: wonder if you have any old picture of spring/cable pulling, which was big way back in the day. Mostly in Europe and England. I mean the one's with the handles on each end and you could add or remove a spring depending on how much resistance you needed. I tried a pair years ago, which had heavy rubber cables. Something to get use to, can be a very hard exercise(s).
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
 :)every body had a pair of those back in the day. york used to sell  them in two varieties steel spring cables  and some kind of rubber ones to attach to handles. the old iron horseshoe and of course the power twister.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:33:06 AM »
look at some of this old time equipment and it isn't hard to imagine things we have nowadays in most gyms.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:31:25 AM »
Funk51

Great pictures of some of that old time equipment. Guess the secret, back than, was to wear a suit and tie, and a shine on your shoes, before working out. Know that pulley devices were around back in the day, also with the wall mounted ones, mostly used by boxers and other athletes. Those wall mounted pulleys are still in use in some boxing gyms.

Some of the best forearm work I ever got was on those old wall mounted wrist roller's.  Different hand grip sizes on the same dowel roller. You started with the largest grip and worked you way down to the smallest grip, without stopping, all on the same set. Burn like fire, but in the good way.

Thanks again for all the good stuff you give to everyone here.
F

sexpert

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
Yeah, what goes around comes around.

Always a good idea to learn a little about BB'ing history and even the old time strongmen. Can learn a lot from those lifting pioneers. Some how old forgotten training systems have a way of sneaking back into the main BB'ing training ideas, again & again. Quite a few training systems go by other names around the country (and world). Which can only add to the confusion with exercises and training methods.

There's even a 9 day training cycle. See some guy's doing the full body workout thing, so maybe that will be more popular again...who really knows (short, intense workouts). Kettle bells were big stuff, for awhile, now not so much......probably those strained wrist & elbows had something to do with that and how some guy's really didn't know how to use them the right way.

Funk51: wonder if you have any old picture of spring/cable pulling, which was big way back in the day. Mostly in Europe and England. I mean the one's with the handles on each end and you could add or remove a spring depending on how much resistance you needed. I tried a pair years ago, which had heavy rubber cables. Something to get use to, can be a very hard exercise(s).
??? ??? ??? ::)