Author Topic: how come coleman was so strong? cutler etc never came even close  (Read 5977 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
even tho their development was comparable but not quite

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
Re: how come coleman was so strong? cutler etc never came even close
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:57:43 PM »
Jay was actually pretty strong.  I seem to remember him inclining 405 for a few.  Cormier could incline 405 for at least 12 and Dennis James could press a shitload, even if he didn't touch his chest at the bottom of every rep.  Even Dorian was an outstanding BB incline presser before some of his injuries.  I know a guy from Temple Gym who swears on his kids that he saw Dorian incline 455 for 7 very strict reps sometime in early '93. 

Ronnie was very strong overall but there are a number of pros who could equal or beat him on some lifts.  If memory serves, he and Levrone had a bench-off not long after Ronnie won his first Mr. O or two.  Ronnie did 500 for a triple whilst Kevin got it for 6.

Ronnie really shined in DB presses.  I think most pros were too chickenshit to even attempt 200's for flat or incline DB presses, but Ronnie just saw it as another day on the job.  And there really ARE few pros who could equal or beat him on the DB presses he did in "The Unbelievable."  His prowess with the DBs leads me to believe he could handle much more than he did with a BB but, for some reason or another, never quite realized his pressing potential, at least in a powerlifting sense.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
Jay was actually pretty strong.  I seem to remember him inclining 405 for a few.  Cormier could incline 405 for at least 12 and Dennis James could press a shitload, even if he didn't touch his chest at the bottom of every rep.  Even Dorian was an outstanding BB incline presser before some of his injuries.  I know a guy from Temple Gym who swears on his kids that he saw Dorian incline 455 for 7 very strict reps sometime in early '93. 

Ronnie was very strong overall but there are a number of pros who could equal or beat him on some lifts.  If memory serves, he and Levrone had a bench-off not long after Ronnie won his first Mr. O or two.  Ronnie did 500 for a triple whilst Kevin got it for 6.

Ronnie really shined in DB presses.  I think most pros were too chickenshit to even attempt 200's for flat or incline DB presses, but Ronnie just saw it as another day on the job.  And there really ARE few pros who could equal or beat him on the DB presses he did in "The Unbelievable."  His prowess with the DBs leads me to believe he could handle much more than he did with a BB but, for some reason or another, never quite realized his pressing potential, at least in a powerlifting sense.

500lb for 5
levrone did the same...
overall ronnie was the strongest pro ever... no contest
choice is an illusion

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
Jay's "muscle" was actually oil all along.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
I knew someone who worked in with Ronnie in 96 and at the time he said Cormier was the strongest

supernick

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »
I herd jay is very strong, but just never really goes as heavy.  I think its smart though .

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
I also think Coleman just enjoyed the act of lifting more. Even when he was at the top of the bodybuilding game, there still seemed to be a bit of a powerlifter's mentality lurking about. Cutler and a few others seemed not to care as much in that regard as the years went by.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Fake plates for the vids. Hope this helps.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
500lb for 5
levrone did the same...
overall ronnie was the strongest pro ever... no contest
Actually he was second strongest but the strongest I guess would not count cause he was the shittiest bodybuilder ever but he would shit on Colemans lifts. Kovacks.

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
Actually he was second strongest but the strongest I guess would not count cause he was the shittiest bodybuilder ever but he would shit on Colemans lifts. Kovacks.

Strongest on what? Hammer Strength and cable movements?

Kovacs couldn't do one single chin-up or dip with his own bodyweight lol

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »

I've heard stories that Kovacks could bench press over 600 pounds...However that was only using a smith machine. When someone finally dared him to use a regular bench press, he only got 405 for 4 reps...He claimed it was because of an injury and never flat benched again.lol

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Strongest on what? Hammer Strength and cable movements?

Kovacs couldn't do one single chin-up or dip with his own bodyweight lol
no way, you don't have a clue about what you are talking about, I have personally see him lift and no one was like him no one AND I DON'T LIE, anyone that knows me around here knows I don't lie, my rep is on line.

2 arm side laterals with 120's with near perfect form, I saw him shoulder press the 180's for 10 clean reps and he did 15 reps with 455 lb on flat bench like nothing.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
I've heard stories that Kovacks could bench press over 600 pounds...However that was only using a smith machine. When someone finally dared him to use a regular bench press, he only got 405 for 4 reps...He claimed it was because of an injury and never flat benched again.lol
I have seen him do 4 plates for at least 12 on inclines with my own eyes so throw that dumb story out the window.

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

/thread

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
I knew someone who worked in with Ronnie in 96 and at the time he said Cormier was the strongest
Cormier was a beast, and I think he could have surpassed Ronnie had he not torn his tricep, and stopped partying and messing with the rec drugs.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Cormier was a beast, and I think he could have surpassed Ronnie had he not torn his tricep, and stopped partying and messing with the rec drugs.

Guy was a beast

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
^695 squat on the first scan.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
I saw tape of Cormier incline pressing and he does three quarter to half presses. I can't help feel he would be buried for one rep with 405 if he touched his chest with the bar.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
I saw tape of Cormier incline pressing and he does three quarter to half presses. I can't help feel he would be buried for one rep with 405 if he touched his chest with the bar.
It was said that he was excellent at pressing movements, and decent at pulling movements. And he has said this as well. I think he would surprise you.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
on flat touching the chest make a world of a difference but not on inclines, barley makes a difference, he would not have been buried, he would have lost a rep or 2 nothing more.

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
on flat touching the chest make a world of a difference but not on inclines, barley makes a difference, he would not have been buried, he would have lost a rep or 2 nothing more.

lol It makes a SHITLOAD of a difference touching your chest on the incline or doing half reps, way more than on the flat bench.

Also there was on old video of Cormier somewhere trying to bench the 200 dbs. He was barely able to even get them in the starting position while Coleman did 10 reps with ease. ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
lol It makes a SHITLOAD of a difference touching your chest on the incline or doing half reps, way more than on the flat bench.

Also there was on old video of Cormier somewhere trying to bench the 200 dbs. He was barely able to even get them in the starting position while Coleman did 10 reps with ease. ;D
;D

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »

You are fucken crazy, no it doesn't compare to flat.

If you sink your flat past a certain point you get buried and flat out bar gets stuck on your chest because your elbows are too far back and with incline it is not the case, of course the lower you go the harder but the bottom is not a sticking point like it is on flat.

fuck bro to you even lift?

As far as Cormier, well my post really was not reffering to him per se just about inclines in general although he was the one we were talking about. I agree completely Ronnie was stronger..

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
ron is powerlifter deep down.
and there are many more lifts to be strong at than just bench press...

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Dexter Jackson won a Mr Olympia with a bench press of 135lbs