Author Topic: Cruz 2016  (Read 90043 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Cruz 2016
« on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

Cruz 2016
The freshman senator is considering a run for president.
By Robert Costa

Robert Costa  Freshman senator Ted Cruz is considering a presidential run, according to his friends and confidants.

Cruz won’t talk about it publicly, and even privately he’s cagey about revealing too much of his thought process or intentions. But his interest is undeniable.

“If you don’t think this is real, then you’re not paying attention,” says a Republican insider. “Cruz already has grassroots on his side, and in this climate, that’s all he may need.”

“There’s not a lot of hesitation there,” adds a Cruz donor who has known the Texan for decades. “He’s fearless.”

For the moment, Cruz’s inner circle is small: mostly aides from his Senate campaign; his father, Rafael; and his wife, Heidi. They didn’t plan on having these presidential conversations so early in his first term. Yet Cruz’s rapid ascent and a flurry of entreaties from conservative leaders have stoked their interest — and Cruz’s.

“Ted won’t be opening an Iowa office anytime soon, but he’s listening,” says a longtime Cruz associate. “This is all in the early stages; nothing is official. It’s just building on its own.”

Behind the scenes, there is a palpable fear on the right that the GOP will nominate a moderate Republican in 2016. There’s also growing unease with the field of likely contenders.

Enter Cruz. His supporters argue that he’d be a Barry Goldwater type — a nominee who would rattle the Republican establishment and reconnect the party with its base — but with better electoral results.

Republican power brokers from the early-primary states have noticed. They tell me that the Cruz factor is a frequent topic of discussion among state-based strategists.

“You bet, he’s on my radar,” says Chad Connelly, the chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party. “Conservatives think he’s a rock star. I hear about him from everybody.”

Cruz’s allies whisper that the 42-year-old attorney, who holds degrees from Harvard Law and Princeton, doesn’t take the groundswell of enthusiasm lightly. Besides talking with conservative grandees, he has called his peers in the legal community and raised the prospect.

“We all see a path, and he does, too,” says a former Cruz colleague. “This isn’t someone who needs to be told the obvious. He didn’t run for the Senate to get cozy, so no one who knows him is surprised that he’s at least looking at it.”

Cruz isn’t worried that his birth certificate will be a problem. Though he was born in Canada, he and his advisers are confident that they could win any legal battle over his eligibility. Cruz’s mother was a U.S. citizen when he was born, and he considers himself to be a natural-born citizen.

As Cruz considers a run, his staff keeps adding new speaking appearances to his calendar. This week, he’ll headline the South Carolina GOP’s Silver Elephant dinner; in late May, he’ll speak to Wall Street heavies at the New York GOP’s annual dinner.

Earlier this year, Cruz gave the keynote speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference, where he was greeted with a raucous reception and praised by Sarah Palin. She touted Cruz as a conservative who “chews barbed wire and spits out rust.”

The debates over gun control, immigration, and President Obama’s appointees have fueled his rise. He has been out front on each issue, brashly battling Democrats and, if need be, his fellow Republicans. “He’s the purest of the young conservative senators — that’s how we see him,” says a consultant who works for a leading conservative group.

That ideological purity and Cruz’s presidential maneuvers make aides close to other Republican contenders nervous. The backroom Republican consensus is that a Cruz insurgency would hardly be a quixotic publicity stunt. He’d outflank almost all of the other candidates on the right, and his debating skills, which once won him national awards, would be formidable. It doesn’t hurt that much of the media already hates him with a passion.

He’s also tighter with Republican donors than most people realize. Peter Thiel, the founder of PayPal, is a close friend — one of many donors with Cruz ties. Four years ago, Thiel poured more than $250,000 into Cruz’s aborted race for Texas attorney general, and he has recently donated millions to groups supporting Cruz, such as the Club for Growth. Sources close to other top Republican donors tell me that the senator is as good at wooing financiers as he is at wooing the Tea Party.

Cruz is obviously only one of several Senate conservatives gunning for the nomination. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida and Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, among others, have been busy traveling to the early states and slowly building up their political staffs. So have GOP governors such as Wisconsin’s Scott Walker and Louisiana’s Bobby Jindal.

For now, Cruz is running behind in terms of organization. But sources say that doesn’t deter him in the slightest. “If he thinks this country needs bold leadership, he’s not going to shy away,” the former colleague says. “He is one of the most confident people I know, and he’d run to win.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/347052/cruz-2016

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Cruz 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Hmmm... Seems like he might just be a decent fellow?

Opposes TSA and National Defense Authorization Act. (Sep 2012)

No path to citizenship for 1.65 million illegals in Texas. (Oct 2012)
Give police more power to ask about immigration status. (Jun 2012)
Boots on the ground, plus a wall. (Apr 2012)
Triple the size of the Border Patrol. (Mar 2012)
Strengthen border security and increase enforcement. (Jul 2011)

Transition younger workers into personal savings system. (Jun 2012)

Adopt a single-rate tax system. (Jul 2010)
Repeal tax hikes in capital gains and death taxes. (Jul 2010)
Supports the Taxpayer Protection Pledge. (Aug 2012)
Opposes increasing tax rates. (Oct 2012)
Supports eliminating the inheritance tax. (Oct 2012)

Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan went on too long. (Jun 2012)

Government checks create dependency. (Aug 2012)

Education decisions best made at local level. (Jun 2012)

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
He calls shotgun seat in the GOP Clown Car.
Rick 'wash that Santorum off your hands' gets the driver's seat this go 'round.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
what is his position on immigration?

I'm guessing,being from TX, he is all about locking down the borders and against the bullshit that is amnesty?   About time a repub has the courage to take that position!

No path to citizenship for 1.65 million illegals in Texas. (Oct 2012)

Heck yes, as I suspected, he is :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

Birthers unite!    :D

Cruz is a classic right wing nutbag

Let's hope to heck he runs

It will be fun to watch the dumbfounded teabaggers wondering why they lost again

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »

It will be fun to watch the dumbfounded teabaggers wondering why they lost again

Princeton and Harvard educated. Meanwhile you spend 20 hours a day sniffing 333's ass on here.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:37 PM »

tea party members tend to split their vote between 4 candidates they like, allowing a millionaire RINO to win the nomination.

Then they pretend they like him because he always picks a hapless Veep who promises to lapdog the tea party.

Then they don't show up and Obama wins again.  Fcking sad.

Cruz is great, I just hope there aren't 7 tea partiers splitting the vote so Christie or Rubio (sad sack establishment Rino hacks) don't win the nomination.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »
Cruz 2016 has been below my avatar for 6 months.

He is one of the only principled politicians left in the Washington and he is exactly the kind of person the US needs to reverse course.

Hopefully, this country will be worth governing by the time 2016 rolls around.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
Cruz 2016 has been below my avatar for 6 months.

He is one of the only principled politicians left in the Washington and he is exactly the kind of person the US needs to reverse course.

Hopefully, this country will be worth governing by the time 2016 rolls around.

The Village Idiot thinks he is crazy.  You think he's good.  I'm rolling with you.  :)  I need to look into this guy. 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:42:34 AM »
Cruz isn’t worried that his birth certificate will be a problem. Though he was born in Canada, he and his advisers are confident that they could win any legal battle over his eligibility. Cruz’s mother was a U.S. citizen when he was born, and he considers himself to be a natural-born citizen.

This should be interesting.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
This should be interesting.

If he becomes president, Blacken007 will be the birther 33333   :D

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
The Village Idiot thinks he is crazy.  You think he's good.  I'm rolling with you.  :)  I need to look into this guy. 
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
he also thought obama wasn't going to get a second term

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
he also thought obama wasn't going to get a second term

So?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
So?

he was wrong,your going to take his opinion because you think he's correct.  that's so?  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
he was wrong,your going to take his opinion because you think he's correct.  that's so?  ;D

Lots of people didn't think Obama would get a second term.  I certainly didn't think so.  Big deal.  But George is usually right. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
I like Rand better than Cruz

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

Careful tho... he supported the Rubio immigration program until the boston bombings.

On Monday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., joined a band of Republican lawmakers arguing to “press pause” on immigration reform after last week’s Boston bombings.
“Until we can fully understand the systematic failures that enabled two individuals to immigrate to the United States from an area known for being hotbed of Islamic extremism, we should not proceed,” Paul said in a statement on his website. (The bombing suspects came to the United States as children and teenagers after their parents gained asylum, and they lived in the country as legal immigrants.)
Paul also sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, requesting a hearing dedicated to the national security aspect of immigration reform before any comprehensive effort moves forward. “The facts emerging in the Boston Marathon bombing have exposed a weakness in our current system,” he said. “If we don't use this debate as an opportunity to fix flaws in our current system, flaws made even more evident last week, then we will not be doing our jobs.”
Advertise | AdChoices

This was the latest change for Paul -- a potential presidential candidate in 2016 -- on the issue of immigration. He has moved from opponent of birthright citizenship (that is, granting citizenship to children of undocumented immigrants born in the U.S.), to supporter of comprehensive immigration reform, to one who believes the Boston bombings should slow down the legislation.
Here’s a look back at Paul in his own words on immigration:
Jan. 2011: Paul issues a press release after co-sponsoring a constitutional amendment to end birthright citizenship for the children of illegal immigrants.

“Citizenship is a privilege, and only those who respect our immigration laws should be allowed to enjoy its benefits.” 
Feb. 8, 2013:  Paul pens an op-ed for the Washington Times, in which he says that he supports immigration reform. But he adds that, under his plan, Congress would vote annually for five years on whether border security has progressed – and only after that period would undocumented immigrants in the country receive green cards. He does, however, also reference them becoming citizens.
“Gradually, the undocumented persons would immigrate to the United States, internal immigration as they would not be asked to return home. These immigrants would not be given special privileges except that they would not have to leave the country…. I share the goal of a working immigration system, and a new approach to allowing those here in our country who want to work and stay out of trouble to stay here. Would I hope that when they become citizens, these new immigrants will remember Republicans who made this happen? Yes.”
March 19, 2013: Paul delivers a speech on immigration reform at the U.S Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Based on his remarks, journalists begin to write that he supports a “pathway to citizenship.”
“Let’s start that conversation by acknowledging we aren’t going to deport 12 million illegal immigrants. If you wish to work, if you wish to live and work in America, then we will find a place for you.”
March 19, 2013: Paul holds a conference call to clarify reporting that he supports a “pathway to citizenship,” per the Huffington Post.
“Those who are here, if they want to work, let's find a place for them. If they want to become citizens, I'm open to debate as to what we do to move forward." 
April 17, 2013: Paul speaks at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast, refraining from endorsing the Gang of Eight legislation on immigration reform.
“Generally, I am for immigration reform. It’s not that I’m going to be for anything with no rules, though.”

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »

X2

I am still undecided on who is the more formidable nomination in a general election.

Rand would pick up more moderates, some liberals and the anti war crowd but Cruz is really starting to gain some steam and might have a shot getting a good portion of the Hispanic vote, like Texan George W was although I don't know where he is polling in that regard.

Who is more diametrically opposed to Obama than Ted Cruz? They are basically opposites on nearly every issue. He also buried David Dewhurst in the senate election and I don't think anyone seen that coming, at least not to the degree he did.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »
Princeton and Harvard educated. Meanwhile you spend 20 hours a day sniffing 333's ass on here.

sniffing 333's ass is your job Fairy and I notice how you never fail to bring it up every time you post

clearly it's something you can't stop thinking about

why is that?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »
It's cracking me up that our resident right wingers think a batshit crazy teabagger from Texas has any chance on a national ticket

You guys pass up viable candidates like Christie and go for the absolute craziest morons - Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, etc..

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
It's cracking me up that our resident right wingers think a batshit crazy teabagger from Texas has any chance on a national ticket

You guys pass up viable candidates like Christie and go for the absolute craziest morons - Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, etc..

"You guys"??

I hear about Rand Paul running for President in 2016 on all different types of media. Mainstream, left leaning, right leaning.

That talk is not just relegated to a handful of people on a message board.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
"You guys"??

I hear about Rand Paul running for President in 2016 on all different types of media. Mainstream, left leaning, right leaning.

That talk is not just relegated to a handful of people on a message board.

where did you get the idea that I was saying that only right wingers on GB were talking about Cruz or Rand

what I said was in reference to this thread specifically and all the people on this thread who are delusional enough to think a nutbag like Cruz is ever going to appeal to a national audience

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »
where did you get the idea that I was saying that only right wingers on GB were talking about Cruz or Rand

what I said was in reference to this thread specifically and all the people on this thread who are delusional enough to think a nutbag like Cruz is ever going to appeal to a national audience

Fair enough. Cruz would REALLY have to carry the Hispanic vote plus have an enviroment where the people are completely fed up with Obama by 2016 AND Hilary decides not to run but if all those line up I think he has "a shot"

And on the subject of Rand Paul, why do you think he has such a poor chance against anyone not named Hilary? He is polling really solid right now(much better than Christie). Why the characterization of him being a "nut job" or whatever? I think he has solid crossover, mainstream appeal.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
Fair enough. Cruz would REALLY have to carry the Hispanic vote plus have an enviroment where the people are completely fed up with Obama by 2016 AND Hilary decides not to run but if all those line up I think he has "a shot"

And on the subject of Rand Paul, why do you think he has such a poor chance against anyone not named Hilary? He is polling really solid right now(much better than Christie). Why the characterization of him being a "nut job" or whatever? I think he has solid crossover, mainstream appeal.

what positions does he support or what has he said that would appeal to Hispanic voters

Rand, Cruz and any other teabagger or anyone with radical right wing views is not going to appeal to a national audience

Also keep in mind that the Republican establishment can't stand either of these guys and neither one is going to get very far without the support of the Republican machine ( think about how much support that gave Ron Paul)

People with extreme view from either party don't wind up on the national ticket