Author Topic: Cruz 2016  (Read 91679 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Cruz 2016
« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
yep. NO ONE saw TRUMP coming and no one has any idea how to deal with it. C

I did.   I said it on getbig in 2011... Trump is a DEM PLANT designed to shit on the GOP field and create chaos and serve dem goals.  

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=405026.msg5776890#msg5776890

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
Cruz’s quiet fundraising strength: A network of wealthy donors

Republican candidate Ted Cruz is finding support among constitutionalists, religious conservatives, and oil and gas executives, campaign finance filings and fundraising invitations show. (Brandon Wade/AP)
By Katie Zezima and Matea Gold
October 26, 2015 

Wealthy investors shot skeet with Sen. Ted Cruz in Park City, Utah, earlier this month. Conservative lawyers gathered in a clubby Washington restaurant last week to raise money for his presidential bid. And on Monday, billionaire technology entrepreneur Darwin Deason and five other wealthy Texans announced that they were coming aboard his campaign.

For all his bashing of “billionaire Republican donors” who “actively despise our base,” the anti-establishment senator from Texas is being bolstered by his own robust base of wealthy contributors. Cruz raised $5.2 million through the end of September from supporters who gave him the $2,700 maximum — making him No. 2 in the GOP race for large donors, after former Florida governor Jeb Bush, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Campaign Finance Institute.

Cruz’s un­or­tho­dox campaign has hit on a fundraising formula that no other candidate has been able to match: raising millions from a robust base of grass-roots supporters while building a substantial network of rich backers.

The senator’s quiet fundraising prowess — he has collected $26.5 million to date — could help give him staying power in what is sure to be a hard-fought battle for the GOP nomination. The structure of his donor base closely resembles that of President Obama, whose vaunted fundraising operation intensely focused on low-dollar givers as well as major bundlers, bringing in a record $783 million for his 2012 reelection.

Cruz has had trouble making inroads in New York financial circles or on Florida’s donor-rich Gold Coast. But he is finding support among like-minded constitutionalists, religious conservatives, and oil and gas executives, campaign finance filings and fundraising invitations show.

“A lot of Wall Street is out of touch with mainstream America,” Cruz’s wife, Heidi — who is on leave from her job as a managing director at Goldman Sachs and is one of his most prolific fundraisers — said recently. “That’s not our funding base.”

[Heidi Cruz trying to close her biggest deal: Making her husband president]

The senator is a different person in private fundraisers than out on the campaign trail, according to people who have observed the dynamic. He doesn’t back away from his hard-line positions, but he quickly moves past them, trying to present a restrained, Harvard-educated lawyer.

“People are swayed by his intellect,” said Mica Mosbacher, a Houston fundraiser helping organize events for Cruz across the country. “He always says, ‘Ask me all the hard questions.’ And he is very polite and humble. I think the firebrand you see [in public] is his passion getting ahead of him. Those who are supporting him admire that he will stand up for what’s right.”

A Republican strategist well connected to the donor world added: “When he’s with major donors, they expect the guy they see with all the red meat, but they instead see an intelligent, buttoned-down lawyer with real bona fides. He will say things like, basically, ‘This is politics — you’ve got go out there and sell and perform.’ ”

At a recent fundraiser in New York, Cruz made the case that he is the candidate to unite a fractious Republican Party, arguing that he can energize evangelicals, tea partyers, military hawks and fiscal conservatives.

“His feeling — and I agree with him — is that you cannot make one segment love you and another segment hate you,” said venture capitalist Ken Abramowitz, who hosted the gathering. “He stressed that he would appeal to all the segments but still maintain his message.”

Shmuley Boteach, a New Jersey rabbi and former congressional candidate, has been introducing Cruz to members of the Jewish community in New York and Los Angeles. Boteach said Cruz is diplomatic when it comes to hot-button issues — such as the time Boteach told the senator he has a gay brother and doesn’t think he should speak so stridently against same-sex marriage.

“He’ll respond very respectfully and say, ‘Okay, Shmuley, we respectfully disagree,’ ” Boteach said. “I do not find him dogmatic about it. . . . When you get to know the guy, he’s measured. This is a Princeton, Harvard graduate.”

It’s a different scene on the campaign trail, where Cruz’s fiery jabs have helped him amass a large pool of enthusiastic small donors. By the end of September, he had raised the second-largest amount in low-dollar contributions among the GOP field: $9.9 million to retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson’s $18.2 million.

[The 2016 money race]

Overall, Cruz has the most balanced mix of donors among all the Republican hopefuls. Of the $24.5 million he has raised for the primary race, 40 percent has come from contributors who have given him $200 or less, 25 percent from those who have given $201 to $999, 13 percent from those who have given $1,000 to $2,699, and 21 percent from those who have given the $2,700 maximum, according to the Campaign Finance Institute.

Obama, by comparison, raised 28 percent of his 2012 donations from people who gave $200 or less and 22 percent from max-out donors.

It remains to be seen whether Cruz, who is hovering around 8 percent in national polls, will gain enough momentum to scale donations up as dramatically as Obama did in his campaigns.

Cruz has long said that his successful 2012 Senate run (and now his presidential bid) attempted to emulate Obama’s 2008 election tactics. Cruz gave Senate campaign staffers a copy of “The Audacity to Win,” a book written by Obama’s 2008 campaign manager, David Plouffe.

“When it comes to fundraising, I think one of the greatest surprises, from the perspective of the Washington chattering class, has been the incredible, astonishing fundraising that this campaign has benefited from,” Cruz said Monday in Houston, where he announced that six wealthy supporters of former Texas governor Rick Perry are now backing him.

Among them were Deason, who gave $5 million to a pro-Perry super PAC in June, and Dallas tax consultant G. Brint Ryan, who donated $250,000. Such high-capacity supporters could inject huge sums into a group of super PACs supporting Cruz, which reported raising $38 million by the end of June.

Campaign finance filings show that more than half of Cruz’s max-out donations are coming from his home state, Texas, where he is methodically bringing longtime backers of Perry and the Bush family into his fundraising network.

[Ted Cruz reports $13.8 million cash on hand — at or near the top of the GOP field]

Houston real estate developer Welcome Wilson Sr. was supporting Perry until he dropped out of the race. He has close ties to the Bush family — his son Welcome Wilson Jr. went to school with Jeb Bush — but said he was convinced that the senator from Texas could best capture the imagination of the voters now considering Donald Trump.

“Their support comes from the same type of people — the people who want a change,” Wilson said.

Mosbacher, whose late husband, Robert Mosbacher, served as commerce secretary under George H.W. Bush, considers herself more of an “establishment type.” She decided to back Cruz because she is convinced that he can win.

Cruz’s wife, Heidi, has also been a key asset, said Mosbacher, pinch-hitting at fundraisers when her husband gets stuck in Washington. At one recent breakfast in Houston, she was so effective that she won over attendees who had not yet committed to the campaign.

“I was very surprised who wrote checks,” Mosbacher said. “They weren’t sure about Ted Cruz until they met Heidi.”

Heidi Cruz has said she made 600 fundraising calls in the second quarter, typically reaching 20 to 25 people a day.

“I don’t want to say it’s easy, and I don’t close every deal,” she said last month. “I think people want to be a part of something that addresses the main issue of the day, number one, which is Washington versus the people.”

She has even been reaching out to bundlers who are already backing other candidates. Andrew Sabin, a Jeb Bush supporter who has had the Cruz family to his Long Island home and supported Cruz’s Senate campaign, said she gave him a call this month.

“I love his wife,” Sabin said — but he told Heidi Cruz that he is “100 percent” with Bush.

Others are coming over. Chart Westcott, a Dallas biotech investor, switched his allegiance to Cruz after his first choice, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, dropped out of the race.

Westcott, who supported Cruz’s Senate bid, said he was pleased to hear the granular details of how Cruz’s team is playing the long game and placing a “laserlike” focus on amassing delegates, a pitch that campaign officials also made at the recent donor retreat in Park City.

[For some candidates, the path to the White House runs through paradise]

Westcott is also impressed by Cruz’s ability to draw in both large- and small-dollar donors.

“I think when you look at the financial shape of all the campaigns,” Westcott said, “Cruz has proven himself to be a powerhouse on both sides of the ledger.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/cruzs-secret-fundraising-strength-a-network-of-wealthy-donors/2015/10/26/d170532e-7c0b-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »
Ted Cruz gets no love from GOP establishment, and he's fine with that
Published November 09, 2015
Fox News Latino

In this Oct. 28, 2015, photo, Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz, r-Texas, talks about the mainstream media during the CNBC Republican presidential debate at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colo. Cruz says the U.S. adopt a European-style value added tax, adding to a division in the Republican presidential field. Some simply want to cut existing tax rates. But Cruz is among those who suggests scrapping the nations tax code entirely and starting from scratch. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)

George W. Bush practically gagged when he spoke of fellow Texan Sen. Ted Cruz.

“I just don’t like the guy,” Bush said at a recent fundraiser for his brother and presidential candidate Jeb Bush.

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who tends to be mild-mannered, famously condemned Cruz a “wacko bird.”

Rep. John Boehner, the former House speaker, stunned people at a fundraiser when he referred to Cruz as “that jackass.”

Cruz hardly was concerned about getting under the skin of these GOP elder statesmen. In fact, each expression of hostility toward him is a feather in his political cap.

Cruz has sought to distinguish himself in Congress by carrying – proudly and loudly – the anti-GOP-establishment torch, notes the Washington Post.

And if someone happens to miss the insults hurled at Cruz the first time around, the first-term senator makes sure to publicize them himself through press releases and media ads.

Of Boehner’s “jackass” remark, Cruz’s campaign later sent out a quote by the senator that said: “I will wear it as a badge of honor because I refuse to join their club.”

Cruz long has courted tea party and other conservative groups that have nothing short of disdain for Republicans they view as part of the Washington D.C. political status quo.

“I will acknowledge that when I’m in the Senate dining room I’ve sometimes wondered if I need a food taster,” the Post quoted Cruz as saying at a campaign stop in Iowa. “If you ain’t never stood up to Washington, at any time in your life, you’re not gonna suddenly discover the courage to do so if you happen to land at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.”

If Cruz has been measured in something, it’s been in avoiding criticism of rival presidential contender Donald Trump.

Not only has Cruz resisted demands by Latino groups and others to condemn statements Trump has made about Mexican immigrants, describing them as including many criminals, but he’s invited the real estate mogul to visit the U.S.-Mexico border with him and to join him at a tea party rally on Capitol Hill to protest the Iran nuclear deal.

Some see Cruz’s actions as opportunistic. Many observers theorize that he hopes to gain Trump’s supporters – many of whom applaud the mogul’s rejection of party protocol and Washington D.C.’s business-as-usual – if the billionaire drops out of the race at some point.

“There’s not a lot of love lost for the guy,” said Josh Holmes, a former chief of staff to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), in an interview with the Post. “And it’s not what he’s trying to accomplish or what he says he’s trying to accomplish that bothers people.”

“It’s that he’s consistently sacrificed the mutual goals of many for his personal enhancement.”

His supporters say he’s the real deal.

“He’s hated by the political establishment,” said Chart Westcott, a Dallas biotech investor and Cruz donor, said to the Post. “He’s got that original outsider status, and that’s what I love and has made him attractive to so many swaths of Americans.”

Karl Rove, who was a top adviser in the George W. Bush administration, says the former president recently expressed disgust over Cruz because the senator turned on him for political gain after Bush had him be part of his 2000 presidential campaign.

Cruz has taken aim at the Bush family in his campaign. He has attacked George W. for appointing John Roberts, whom Cruz once expressed support for, chief justice of the Supreme Court, and his father George H.W. Bush for appointing David Souter.

Rove said George W. Bush saw the attacks as “a little opportunistic.”

Cruz vexed many fellow Republicans by refusing to back down from stances that at times have backfired, putting a stain on the entire GOP.

In 2013, he led the fight to defund Obamacare, resulting in a standoff in Congress that led to a government shutdown.

Catherine Frazier, a Cruz spokeswoman, told the Post that Cruz has “a record of effectiveness.”

“These people keep shooting arrows at him, trying to take him out, and he’s not going anywhere,” she said.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2015/11/09/ted-cruz-gets-no-love-from-gop-establishment-and-fine-with-that/?intcmp=hpbt1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #378 on: November 17, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
Rep. Steve King Endorses Ted Cruz: 'Answer to My Prayers'

Image: Rep. Steve King Endorses Ted Cruz: 'Answer to My Prayers'  (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images) 
By Joe Schaeffer   
Monday, 16 Nov 2015

Conservative Iowa Rep. Steve King has endorsed Ted Cruz for president, saying the Texas senator is "the answer to my prayers."

"I do believe that Ted Cruz is the full package, the constitutional conservative that can restore the soul of America," King said at a press conference in Des Moines Monday, ABC News reports.

King said he made his decision after a Friday visit to Europe, where, "I saw the erosion of the culture ... because of the colossal cultural suicide they're committing," ABC News reports.

"Our nation is sick and getting sicker," King said in a press release, stating that the unity of America has been ripped apart by the Obama administration over the past seven years, Breitbart reports.

"We need a president who is pro-life, pro-marriage, a constitutional originalist, who will make judicial appointments of judges to the Supreme Court and all federal courts who believe the Constitution means what is says and means what it was understood to mean when ratified," King said in the release.

He also spoke out strongly about the need for securing the nation's borders.

"We need a president who will build a fence, a wall, and a fence to finally secure all of our southern border and who will instill the will in a new administration to enforce laws passed by Congress," King said, Breitbart reports.

Yet despite the fact that GOP front-runner Donald Trump has been the most strident advocate for building a wall at the southern border, King instead chose to endorse Cruz.

When asked why, he replied:

"It's going to be harder for either [he or fellow outsider candidate Ben Carson] to see what's going on in Washington, D.C., in K street, in the network," ABC News reports him saying at the press conference in Des Moines.

"What's going on in the House and Senate and how does that get leveraged from the executive branch. I don't hear either one of them talking about the balance of powers between the executive, the legislative and the judicial branches of government. And I don't hear them talking about Supreme Court appointments."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/steve-king-ted-cruz-endorsement-gop/2015/11/16/id/702382/#ixzz3rnHYDbkm

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: November 17, 2015, 04:21:42 PM »
Cruz looks like a grownup.   Rubio is a teenager.   Trump and carson are freakin' children.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: November 17, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
With the recent hiccup of Carson in the polls and Rubio taking some criticism for not being far enough to the right, the potential for a Trump vs. Cruz dog fight going down the stretch is looking more and more possible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: November 17, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »
With the recent hiccup of Carson in the polls and Rubio taking some criticism for not being far enough to the right, the potential for a Trump vs. Cruz dog fight going down the stretch is looking more and more possible.

cruz has a ton of $.   Trump has more (if he uses his own).  Trump threatened to start attacking cruz this week if needed.

it's insane that a liberal like trump is leading GOp polls.  maddening.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
Pollster Zogby: Cruz Control of New Iowa Poll Doesn't Surprise Me
By Bill Hoffmann    
Monday, 07 Dec 2015

The meteoric rise of Sen. Ted Cruz to front-runner among voters in the upcoming Iowa presidential caucuses shouldn't be a surprise to anybody, veteran pollster John Zogby tells Newsmax TV.

"[It's] totally predictable. He's got a focused message, he appears very strong," Zogby, CEO of Zogby Analytics, said Monday on "Newsmax Prime" with J.D. Hayworth.

"He appeals to both the tea party and the Christian conservatives."

In a new poll released by Monmouth University, Cruz, a Texas Republican, sailed past Donald Trump and Ben Carson in Iowa to become the front-runner in the intensifying race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

Monmouth said Carson had the steepest decline of any candidate, plummeting 19 points from a poll two months ago that had him as the front-runner in the Hawkeye State which will hold its GOP caucuses in February.

Zogby told Hayworth that Cruz is the beneficiary of the former top candidates starting to lose steam.

"As we figured from the beginning, once Trump begins to fade and Carson begins to fade, those votes are going to go to Ted Cruz and it looks like they are right now," Zogby said.

But Cruz isn't a shoo-in by any stretch of the imagination, according to the pollster.
"He's got to worry about not peaking too soon," Zogby said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax-Tv/john-zogby-ted-cruz-polling-iowa/2015/12/07/id/704889/#ixzz3trgpfVbN

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
Cruz has a real shot but if the other candidates don't start dropping out soon, TRUMP is gonna walk away with it. the only way he can beat TRUMP is if its between TRUMP and him, in which case the consolidated support of others can boost him to TRUMP's level or higher.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
Cruz has a real shot but if the other candidates don't start dropping out soon, TRUMP is gonna walk away with it. the only way he can beat TRUMP is if its between TRUMP and him, in which case the consolidated support of others can boost him to TRUMP's level or higher.

Trump has more widespread appeal than this guy, I think, and would stand a chance to beat Hillary.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2015, 07:58:08 AM »
But Cruz > Rubio, fwiw

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:14 AM »
Was looking at a pic LNM posted, showing the three or so people at a Fiorina appearance in Iowa, and I found something interesting from a few months back.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/carly-fiorinas-campaign-is-being-funded-with-ted-cruzs-money/22546/

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
Little more from the Washington Post, couple months ago.

FEC also confused why a Ted Cruz super PAC is donating to Carly Fiorina

By Colby Itkowitz September 17

Long before Carly Fiorina was this month’s “it” candidate, a super PAC backing Ted Cruz was hedging its bets on her.

People were left scratching their heads in July when Keep the Promise 1, one of a conglomerate of super PACs funded by deep-pocketed Cruz supporters (the others are cleverly named Keep the Promise PAC, Keep the Promise II and Keep the Promise III; don’t strain yourself, guys), revealed in its financial disclosures a $500,000 donation to Fiorina’s campaign.

Keep the Promise 1 had a healthy $10 million on hand from a $11 million donation from hedge fund CEO Robert Mercer as of the end of June. But it only spent $536,169. A little for legal services. A little for surveys. And a whole lot for Fiorina.

Even the Federal Election Commission is perplexed. The super PAC was (purposely?) vague about the donation, describing it on its FEC filing as “other disbursement.”

So, the FEC, as it does, sent a letter Wednesday asking for “a brief statement or description of why each disbursement was made.”

Something like: Well, just in case…

The donation to Fiorina was made June 18, which shows tremendous foresight. Fiorina was barely registering then, not yet revealed as the scrappy underdog with killer debate skills. And Donald Trump had yet to steal most of Cruz’s disenchanted voters.

The super PAC’s treasurer Jacquelyn James did not respond to our request for comment. Maybe the FEC will have better luck.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
How nice that the hedge-fund CEO wants to "Keep the Promise" to America.  Makes my heart warm.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2015, 09:54:14 AM »
Was looking at a pic LNM posted, showing the three or so people at a Fiorina appearance in Iowa, and I found something interesting from a few months back.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/carly-fiorinas-campaign-is-being-funded-with-ted-cruzs-money/22546/

I posted about this during the summer.  Cruz superpac gave 500k to carly superpac.   Fishy.... ;)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »
I posted about this during the summer.  Cruz superpac gave 500k to carly superpac.   Fishy.... ;)

Here's that pic

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »

Don't you think it's a little early to start declaring any candidate unbeatable?  I made a mistake overestimating how strong Hillary was going to be.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
Don't you think it's a little early to start declaring any candidate unbeatable?  I made a mistake overestimating how strong Hillary was going to be.

no one is unbeatable at this point(other than Hillary getting the Dem nom), but clearly, it will be either TRUMP, Cruz, or Rubio that gets the nom on their side, and right now TRUMP is clearly winning big. he is certainly not unbeatable, but as long as the field stays so big and the non-TRUMP votes are so split up, no one else has been able to consolidate nearly enough support to match him

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »
no one is unbeatable at this point(other than Hillary getting the Dem nom), but clearly, it will be either TRUMP, Cruz, or Rubio that gets the nom on their side, and right now TRUMP is clearly winning big. he is certainly not unbeatable, but as long as the field stays so big and the non-TRUMP votes are so split up, no one else has been able to consolidate nearly enough support to match him

Well technically he isn't winning anything yet.  Not till people actually start voting. 

That said, I agree that it is a "win" in one respect for him to be leading in the polls for such an extended period of time, despite not really laying out substantive plans, making repeated disgraceful comments without repercussions, etc.   

Let's see what happens in the first few states. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: December 11, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
Ted Cruz close to winning Tony Perkins endorsement
By Theodore Schleifer, CNN
Fri December 11, 2015 | Video Source: CNN

(CNN)Ted Cruz has successfully courted Bob Vander Platts, Iowa's main Christian powerbroker, winning his endorsement Thursday that was sought feverishly by about half the Republican field. Now, Cruz in closing in on winning the backing of another top social conservative networker: Tony Perkins.

"There's clearly movement going toward Ted, and I think he's making all the right moves," Perkins told CNN Thursday. "But from a timing standpoint, I'm still watching, waiting."

Perkins, who heads the Family Research Council, sits at the top of a pair of sprawling social conservative networks, the Conservative Action Project and the Council for National Policy, that are the hidden hub of the forces looking to push the Republican Party further right.

He's also very controversial. The former Louisiana state representative has attracted scrutiny, implying a connection between pedophilia and homosexuality and making critical comments about Islam. The Southern Poverty Law Center labeled his organization a "hate group," a term the FRC sees as "reckless."

"Perkins' xenophobic and irresponsible spew has no place in American democracy but that won't stop Ted Cruz from chasing after his credentials -- in fact it's hard to tell which of them is more reckless, hateful or extreme," said Adrienne Watson, a spokesman for the Hillary Clinton-aligned super PAC Correct the Record.

Cruz's campaign has theorized that wooing the grasstops will pay off with the grassroots, and targeted more than 400 of the evangelical movement's top leaders. With activist networks quick to follow their example, the field generals can train their men to vote for candidates like Cruz in Iowa and South Carolina, the two states where the Texan thinks his profile will play well with their large born-again Christian bases.

"We will be going all-in for Sen. Ted Cruz," Vander Plaats said at a press conference Thursday. "We have found him as a man of deep character. A man that we can fully trust, who has a consistency of convictions, who loves his god, loves his spouse, and who loves his family."

Vander Plaats is key for Iowa, but Perkins could be more helpful nationally, as leaders of the professional conservative apparatus jump at the chance to energize Cruz's surging campaign.

Over dinners and phone calls, Perkins has become one of Cruz's few defenders in a city that harbors significant ill-will for his scorched-earth Republicanism. It's not just policy: Cruz looks to Perkins for political counsel as well, and the pair talks a few times a month about the campaign or the social conservative agenda.

"It's one thing to get an endorsement from a megachurch," said Rep. Mark Sanford before he introduced Cruz in his South Carolina district last month. But, "in as much as there is a such thing as mainstream Christian evangelical, I would suspect he represents it."

Perkins, officially, remains uncommitted. But as he stood on the stage Cruz last month at Bob Jones University, it was difficult for him to hide his affection. Perkins acknowledges that -- in a field full of social conservatives who Perkins see as allies -- he has had a special relationship with one of them.

"All these guys are my friends and someone's going to get their feelings hurt," Perkins said at the time. "You get a lot of guys who say they want your help when you're running, and then they forget about you when you get there. Ted was not that way."

The chances of endorsing Cruz were bolstered when Perkins' close friend from their days in Louisiana, Bobby Jindal, dropped out of the race. And he doesn't talk about any other candidate nearly as glowingly.

Even with Vander Plaats and Perkins in his corner, Cruz's efforts to consolidate the evangelical vote is far from complete in a field here a half-dozen Republicans can claim the mantle of the religious right. But Monday's CNN/ORC poll found in Iowa that more evangelicals backed Cruz than any other candidate, and Perkins could help get more.

"He has a long reach, no doubt about it," said Phil Burress, head of the Ohio group Citizens for Community Values.

Ted Cruz, under attack, defends ending bulk data collection

Cruz has quietly cultivated networks like these. When Cruz managed to hear of Burress' little-known powwow of Ohio Christians, the presidential candidate was the only one to cut a video and send it along, Burress said.

"Thank you, friends, for everything you're doing. Thank you Phil Burress," Cruz told the crowd in a five-minute video shared with CNN. "The sleeping giant is stirring."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/10/politics/ted-cruz-tony-perkins-evangelical/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
Podesta to donors: Cruz is likely GOP nominee
By GABRIEL DEBENEDETTI 12/12/15

Donald Trump's apparent belief that the Republican primary contest is now a two-person race between himself and Ted Cruz isn't exactly shared at the top of Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta handicapped the GOP race for 90 Democratic donors assembled at a private fundraising event in Berkeley, California, on Thursday night, according to a Clinton backer who was in the room, telling the crowd that he viewed Cruz as the likeliest nominee, followed by Trump, and then Marco Rubio.

Podesta's remarks — which he made sure to say represent his own views, not an official campaign position — came after the real-estate magnate proposed a blanket ban on Muslims entering the United States, and Podesta suggested that the resulting surge of attention being paid to Trump didn't change his belief that Cruz was the likeliest pick.

But he did confirm that the Democratic front-runner's recent moves to use Trump's remarks as an anchor to drag down the rest of the Republican Party was a concerted political strategy — and that the donors shouldn't expect the strategy to go away anytime soon.

The crux of that argument is not that the other candidates are afraid to criticize Trump, Podesta told the donors: it's that they agree with him.

The top-ranking official on Clinton's team, Podesta has mostly stayed away from the public eye during the campaign apart from the occasional television interview, instead keeping his focus on private events. Thursday night's fundraiser was closed to reporters, like all of Clinton's campaign cash events.
But it landed amid the race's most controversial week yet, when the Democratic frontrunner's strategy for dealing with Trump took on added urgency.
And it came while the team is hurtling toward the end of the fundraising quarter and its goal of raising $100 million for the primary before 2016 — while donors are increasingly curious about the Brooklyn-based campaign's tactics.

Clinton aides like campaign manager Robby Mook, policy staffer Jake Sullivan, and surrogate outreach aide Michelle Kwan — the former figure skater — have all headlined recent fundraising events, as has former President Bill Clinton.

And top surrogates have also stepped up their own presence on the money trail: longtime Clinton friend and strategist James Carville has become an active campaign fundraiser, while New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is set to host an event in London on Dec. 29.

Even Podesta has been raising money in increasingly unexpected ways this month: the campaign has recently advertised to donors the chance to join him at a cooking event with Sarah Schafer, the executive chef of Irving Street Kitchen in Portland, Oregon, last Wednesday night, and at another similar confab with Marcus Samuelsson, the chef and owner of Harlem restaurant Red Rooster, in Brooklyn on Monday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/podesta-cruz-is-likely-gop-nominee-216713#ixzz3uJiIZhZ5

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
Cruz tripped up on immigration issue.  Said in 2013 he wanted "Immigration Reform" to get through.  Now making it to news.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #397 on: December 17, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Cruz tripped up on immigration issue.  Said in 2013 he wanted "Immigration Reform" to get through.  Now making it to news.
If this picks up any steam it could be a stumbling block.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »
If this picks up any steam it could be a stumbling block.

Will look into it more, tomorrow, and post what's up with it.

The guy has always seemed like he'd turn without pause on that issue.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, and I hope so, but that's what it is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
Will look into it more, tomorrow, and post what's up with it.

The guy has always seemed like he'd turn without pause on that issue.  Maybe I'm wrong about that, and I hope so, but that's what it is.

Posted it here:

This is the first time I've ever seen Cruz ruffled.  Didn't look so good here. 

Fox News anchor confronts Cruz with 2013 remarks on immigration reform
By Elliot Smilowitz
December 16, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Wednesday squared off with Fox News anchor Bret Baier over comments Cruz made in 2013 as the Senate considered an immigration reform bill.

Baier began the interview by repeating what Cruz said on the subject during Tuesday’s GOP presidential debate: “I’ve never supported legalization, I do not intend to support it.”

The anchor then played a speech Cruz made in 2013 promoting his amendment to an immigration reform measure in which he called on “people of good faith on both sides of the aisle” to pass a bill “that allows those that are here illegally to come in out of the shadows.”

Asked to respond to the clip, Cruz said his amendment would “remove citizenship.”

“The fact that I introduced an amendment to remove part of the Gang of Eight bill doesn’t mean I support the rest of the Gang of Eight bill,” he added.

But Baier replied with a series of statements Cruz made in 2013 that indicated he wanted the rest of the bill to pass. He quoted the Texas Republican calling the legislation “the compromise that can pass” and saying “if my amendment were adopted, this bill would pass.”

Cruz stammered in his response, saying that “of course I wanted my amendment to pass. ... It doesn’t mean I supported other aspects of the bill.”

In an attempt to prove his amendment wasn’t a tacit endorsement of the rest of the bill, Cruz cited the fact that Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) voted with him.

“The problem, though, is that at the time you were telling people ... this was not a poison pill,” Baier said in response. “You said you wanted it to pass at the time. Looking back at what you said then, and what you said now, which one should people believe?”

Cruz told Baier his amendment “illustrated hypocrisy of the Democrats” and “succeeded in defeating” the bill, as the interview wrapped up.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/263544-fox-news-anchor-confronts-cruz-with-2013-remarks-on-immigration