Author Topic: Private Investigative Industry?  (Read 3798 times)

Red29

• Getbig III
Private Investigative Industry?
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
I landed an interview for a company that investigates insurance and benefits fraud and the like. I am in college currently pursuing a degree in criminal justice. The pay on this job and potential for bonuses and raises is very good. Starting rate is about double minimum wage, which is amazing for a college guy like myself.

Advice from getbig on landing this job? Serious advice appreciated. I know how to interview well I never had a problem there, but this is not an interview at your local McD's to flip burgers and take orders. This has a lot of potential and will solve many problems for me.

Fire away guys  ;)

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
Re: Private Investigative Industry?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
Unbutton your blouse a few notches.

muscularny

• Getbig IV
  • Training
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
first and foremost, turn off your cell phone (off as in off, not vibrate etc) before going into the interview

get rid of all your online junk, fb, twitter, youtube and all other things that show the true garbage you (if thats the case)

do not ask about 401k, vacations, sick days, or talk about bullshit on how every third weekend you help grandma change diapers. Regardless how emotional the bullshit you do is to you, no one else gives a fuck, they are a business not a homeless shelter.

SHUT UP and listen, dont interrupt, ask what is answered, DO NOT make jokes, the fact that a few facebook crackheads told you you have a good sense of humor means shit.

Last but not least show them that you understand what you are being hired for (that is if you understand) be specific as to what you can do, how excited you are about doing it and go further by saying i'd take this job even if the pay is less.

Only pick jobs hat you are passionate about, if you pick em only because of pay, within a few years your resume will be a few pages long.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
Interrupt them during the first sentence.
"Look, I'm coming in here with the mindset that I already have the job.  I'm here to interview you".

Ask them to get you a scotch on the rocks.

Stop the interview to post on getbig.

When asked about your technical proficiency, take a "selfie" pic and post to your Wall.   Duck face optional.

When asked for your greatest strength or weakness, answer* with "Flag nor fail" then refuse to expand upon that.

*You may also answer silently by showing them your FnF tattoo.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
Sounds like a dreadful job.  Complete the degree and go into actual, non-mercenary law enforcement.  Don't become some private company's man in the bushes. 

$.02.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
Is this an internship, or your real job after graduation? You don't go to college to make $11 hour.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
The private sector allows you to make far more than what law enforcement makes.  On top of that, you aren't held to nowhere near the same amount of public scrutiny that a cop has to endure. 

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
The private sector allows you to make far more than what law enforcement makes.  On top of that, you aren't held to nowhere near the same amount of public scrutiny that a cop has to endure.  

...x2. I don't think people realize what a shitty job it is being a police officer. Private military groups, and investigators don't have to deal with the same shit and they get paid more if they're good at what they do.

Even regular PI's chasing cheating husband's and wives make more money while basically doing reconnaissance work eating donuts and sipping coffee.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
You should approach them with the attitutude "Here's what I bring to the table.  Here's how I can help you succeed and grow".  That means knowing your shit and having a plan.

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 09:21:03 AM »
The money you can make in the PI and security industry is stupid off the charts.  It is so expansive and it is worldwide.  It goes far, far beyond merely catching a cheating husband or having a security guard in some gatehouse somewhere.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
Sounds like a dreadful job.  Complete the degree and go into actual, non-mercenary law enforcement.  Don't become some private company's man in the bushes. 

$.02.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Red29

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
Well its 15$ an hour which for me is huge. Full time as well 7am-3pm usually. All travel paid for expenses as well. Lot of potential for raises and bonuses based on good performance as well. I like the idea of it, I am an independent kind of person I like being my own boss and I think personally that this is a great job for me.

x2 on being a cop. I see the kind of shit those guys have to go through to just get hired, and its honestly not worth it for the 45k or so they make in my area. 1-2 guys selected out of hundreds, and you have to know someone to even get looked at. IMO you must REALLY want to be a cop if that's what you are going for, as in love the profession.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
"Look, I'm coming in here with the mindset that I already have the job.  I'm here to interview you".

When asked about your technical proficiency, take a "selfie" pic and post to your Wall.   Duck face optional.

When asked for your greatest strength or weakness, answer* with "Flag nor fail" then refuse to expand upon that.

AHAHA!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
Well its 15$ an hour which for me is huge. Full time as well 7am-3pm usually. All travel paid for expenses as well. Lot of potential for raises and bonuses based on good performance as well. I like the idea of it, I am an independent kind of person I like being my own boss and I think personally that this is a great job for me.

x2 on being a cop. I see the kind of shit those guys have to go through to just get hired, and its honestly not worth it for the 45k or so they make in my area. 1-2 guys selected out of hundreds, and you have to know someone to even get looked at. IMO you must REALLY want to be a cop if that's what you are going for, as in love the profession.

It is a lot to go through to get on with a good department and I agree, it should be a passion, not a job. I started out in 93 at $11 something an hour and would have done it for half that... times change and I get paid well to do the job and the retirement is remarkable if you make it there..

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

Mr Gitts!

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
  Good luck kid.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 12:40:01 PM »
I landed an interview for a company that investigates insurance and benefits fraud and the like. I am in college currently pursuing a degree in criminal justice. The pay on this job and potential for bonuses and raises is very good. Starting rate is about double minimum wage, which is amazing for a college guy like myself.

Advice from getbig on landing this job? Serious advice appreciated. I know how to interview well I never had a problem there, but this is not an interview at your local McD's to flip burgers and take orders. This has a lot of potential and will solve many problems for me.

Fire away guys  ;)

My friends uncle does this, he's got really high income.

Red29

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
My friends uncle does this, he's got really high income.

Care to elaborate?

Something I noticed btw. If I had posted this on gh15 (if i still had an account there) I would have received at least a dozen good responses  ;)

But then. Thats Getbig.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Care to elaborate?

Something I noticed btw. If I had posted this on gh15 (if i still had an account there) I would have received at least a dozen good responses  ;)

But then. Thats Getbig.

I don't know anything about him except that he has a really nice house, lots of land, and about ten cars.

Red29

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:04 PM »
I don't know anything about him except that he has a really nice house, lots of land, and about ten cars.

I'm sold.

Ofc he's been in the game a while I bet.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
I'm sold.

Ofc he's been in the game a while I bet.

Yeah, I basically only know of the guy.  Been to his house, rode his four wheelers, etc.. (no homo)

;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »
With a degree you'd be going into the FBI or straight to an upper rank in the PD, wouldn't you?  It's not like you're going to be a beat cop.

$30k a year isn't worth crossing the street for, nevermind getting excited about.  Your story is kinda fishy.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:43 AM »

not bad, except you don't "ask" for the scotch on the rocks
K

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 06:56:05 AM »
With a degree you'd be going into the FBI or straight to an upper rank in the PD, wouldn't you?  It's not like you're going to be a beat cop.

$30k a year isn't worth crossing the street for, nevermind getting excited about.  Your story is kinda fishy.

Degree's are a dime a dozen. You would start out as a beat cop like everyone else.

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »

This whole post is classic. I love it.  :D